Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The funny thing is that they're going to bring back the double dash gimmick for the new Star Fox game that's coming out soon, except the non-driver player uses the gamepad so they have full control over their camera.

I could see them doing Double Dash 2 on NX if they really do the screen controller gimmick again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

The funny thing is that they're going to bring back the double dash gimmick for the new Star Fox game that's coming out soon, except the non-driver player uses the gamepad so they have full control over their camera.

I'm really looking forward to that mode.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
how is nintendo still around

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Quality 1st party games, dominance of the handheld market, strongest IPs in gaming.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Quality 1st party games, dominance of the handheld market, strongest IPs in gaming.

so "inertia"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lady Naga posted:

they built up a decent bank roll in the early days and invested it well in handhelds

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

so "inertia"

I don't think you can attribute any of that to inertia.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
unfortunately the handheld well has now dried up and theyre no longer in a position to keep making home hardware that fails as they dont have a back up, hence why they want to combine them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

the only people who think they have strong 1st party titles and the strongest IPs in gaming are people who grew up with nintendo consolels when they were actually ok, so yeah, inertia.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

you can definitely attribute the handheld dominance to inertia since they got an early lead so massive it's difficult to compete

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
if that was actually true then their consoles would sell absolutely ridiculous numberbs because the lack of third party support wouldnt be an issue. unfortuantely the strongest IPs in modern gamging are all but absent from nintendo consoles (they finally got minecraft so they have one of them at least)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

When the sun burns out and the moon crashes into the sea, Nintendo will be there to release a new Mario Kart and sell you an emulated copy of Super Mario World.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bass Bottles posted:

sell you an emulated copy of Super Mario World.

$20, never goes on sale. price drop of $5 after roughly 3 millennia.

emulated super mario 3 released 5,000,000 years later

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
nintendo snowballed into a position of handheld dominance and by the time anyone else could compete handhelds as a platform stopped being profitable, it's kind of sad really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lady Naga posted:

nintendo snowballed into a position of handheld dominance and by the time anyone else could compete handhelds as a platform stopped being profitable, it's kind of sad really.

actually handhelds are really interesting here as well bcos sony hosed up really badly. the PSP sold really well and put them in a great position but they went and released the vita next so rip. never mind tho cos as u said its a dead market anyway, and has shrunk by a ridiculous amount between the DS/PSP and 3ds/vita gens

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Hey are you an Stux gonna fuse to form Malachite

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

actually handhelds are really interesting here as well bcos sony hosed up really badly. the PSP sold really well and put them in a great position but they went and released the vita next so rip. never mind tho cos as u said its a dead market anyway, and has shrunk by a ridiculous amount between the DS/PSP and 3ds/vita gens

it's really hosed up that the vita is capable of actually emulating things and the PSN actually has sales and price drops and deals yet nintendo gets all the virtual console rights, time to go play all my favourite game gear games

Bass Bottles posted:

Hey are you an Stux gonna fuse to form Malachite

we're good friends and neither of us would force the other into anything

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Lady Naga posted:

it's really hosed up that the vita is capable of actually emulating things and the PSN actually has sales and price drops and deals yet nintendo gets all the virtual console rights, time to go play all my favourite game gear games

to be fair though the vita memory cards are inexcusable and v dumb. like u said tho its a shame bcos the vita itself as piece of hardware is better than anything nintnedo has ever made and sonys digital game is on lock

quote:

we're good friends and neither of us would force the other into anything

this is true, but i am open to fusing with any of my friends to form minerals if they are. just putting it out there.

i live for geology.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

they make good games

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Stux posted:

to be fair though the vita memory cards are inexcusable and v dumb.

Esp. since you can't fool it with an adapter any more.

Eonwe posted:

they make good games
debatable

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chie is bad

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Esp. since you can't fool it with an adapter any more.

debatable

nah

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I can play Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil 2 on my Vita exactly like they were 20~ years ago and the original 3ds couldn't emulate snes games lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

I can play Metal Gear Solid and Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil 2 on my Vita exactly like they were 20~ years ago and the original 3ds couldn't emulate snes games lol

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i play SNES games on my SNES

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Most people forget that Nintendo makes a decent amount of money licensing their IP to clothing manufacturers, toy lines, general advertisement, theme parks, things like that. Despite their dwindling console/handheld business, Nintendo also survives on whoring out their IP.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Eonwe posted:

i play SNES games on my SNES

I'm sorry

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

?? sorry i think you quoted the wrong post??????

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
idk

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the snes is Bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Louisgod posted:

Most people forget that Nintendo makes a decent amount of money licensing their IP to clothing manufacturers, toy lines, general advertisement, theme parks, things like that. Despite their dwindling console/handheld business, Nintendo also survives on whoring out their IP.

angry birds and minecraft do that better now as well tho so thats going too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

the snes is Bad.

i like a lot of video games, from nintendo, sony, sega, microsoft, PC games

they're all good

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the SNES has the good shadowrun game and castlevania 4 (which I don't like nearly as much as Dracula X but w/e I understand that's a personal preference thing) and not much else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
except any game with Chie in it

thats bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

you can definitely attribute the handheld dominance to inertia since they got an early lead so massive it's difficult to compete

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

Tbh the main reason the 3ds stumbled was that the handheld market was already dead so idk about this

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Motto posted:

isn't it saying something that literally the only company that tried to seriously compete with nintendo after the 90s is the one that released the juggernaut PS2?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

Tbh the main reason the 3ds stumbled was that the handheld market was already dead so idk about this

2011 was a prett bad year for it on account of having no games and being overpriced. It only managed it gain its current sub-PSP sales after the pricecut.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Nintendo licensing out their IPs for merchandise and other non-video game stuff an actual good money maker or is that armchair Michael Patchter analysis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

2011 was a prett bad year for it on account of having no games and being overpriced. It only managed it gain its current sub-PSP sales after the pricecut.

3DS is a hella ace system tho and it still is selling worse than the garbage PSP did.

I think LAdy Naga is sort of right that Nintendo handhelds have crazy intertia, which is the only reason the 3DS was able to crawl out of its hole and make a humble, if disappointing life for itself.

Vita never stood a chance. Most people seem to think it's an amazing piece of hardware, too. Like, I know the memory cards were dumb, but I don't think Sony fumbled the ball too bad on the hardware itself. They just didn't have the momentum of years and years of beloved handheld games being released.

• Locked thread