Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is Subler still what people are using to repackage MKVs into m4vs for use in iTunes/AppleTV? If not, what's the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

Assuming you mean videos, there's screen recorders, including QuickTime Player itself.

Otherwise what I've been able to do before with some online classes is download the source video itself by looking through the source or cache. Not sure how to do the latter in Safari but did it through Chrome (where about :cache is still a thing). Copy/pasted the URL into Safari's download window (or opt-return in the address field) to download since I couldn't figure out how to do that in Chrome :downs:

Yeah I had forgotten about the old source code trick, that worked. Thanks!

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

beefnoodle posted:

Is Subler still what people are using to repackage MKVs into m4vs for use in iTunes/AppleTV? If not, what's the best?

I find that it works just fine. The only issue I run into is that quite often there are audio sync problems when it does AC3 to AAC conversion. If the MKV doesn’t have AAC audio, I’ll use ffmpeg to convert it. (Actually, I use iFFmpeg, which is a UI front-end for ffmpeg, but if you’re comfortable with the command line, there’s no reason to go out and spend the $20.)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any way to turn off the OSX text predictions? To reproduce:
  • Open a searchable document in Preview.
  • Select the search box.
  • Hit Esc
  • This bullshit pops up:

Before you ask, yes, I have Correct spelling automatically turned off in System Preferences and in Preview specifically (Edit > Spelling and Grammar).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Is there any way to turn off the OSX text predictions? To reproduce:
  • Open a searchable document in Preview.
  • Select the search box.
  • Hit Esc
  • This bullshit pops up:

Before you ask, yes, I have Correct spelling automatically turned off in System Preferences and in Preview specifically (Edit > Spelling and Grammar).

Yea but it ain't pretty. i found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7311015?start=0&tstart=0

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

SaintFu posted:

I find that it works just fine. The only issue I run into is that quite often there are audio sync problems when it does AC3 to AAC conversion. If the MKV doesn’t have AAC audio, I’ll use ffmpeg to convert it. (Actually, I use iFFmpeg, which is a UI front-end for ffmpeg, but if you’re comfortable with the command line, there’s no reason to go out and spend the $20.)

Thanks

Violator
May 15, 2003

I have to take a bunch of photos and videos, record audio narration for each, and then display them in an animated slideshow for export to DVD. I was going to record the audio via Quicktime and then lay everything out in FCPX. Is there a better solution that anyone has used?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keynote?

walropodes
Jan 8, 2012

Is it safe to try using the old Disk Utility.app from previous Mac OS versions in El Capitan?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

walropodes posted:

Is it safe to try using the old Disk Utility.app from previous Mac OS versions in El Capitan?
It's my understanding that yes, it is. I believe the binary needs modifying to work though. Alternatively you could figure out how to perform what you want in the Terminal.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

You can also make a bootable 10.10 USB installer and boot from that to use the old disk utility without hacking stuff. Has the added bonus of allowing you to unmount the internal drives if you need to for whatever reason since the OS isn't running from them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it was real cool when they stopped letting you do RAID things in disk utility right when I bought a mac mini and the hardware just for that purpose

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

beefnoodle posted:

I use iFlicks 2 for this and have been really happy with it.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

hello i am trying to install a bootcamp in my new 3tb hdd but windows refuses to install on a gpt disk is there any way to enjoy the much better windows on my cool and expensive hdd?
thank and god bless

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

HoboMan posted:

hello i am trying to install a bootcamp in my new 3tb hdd but windows refuses to install on a gpt disk is there any way to enjoy the much better windows on my cool and expensive hdd?
thank and god bless

You do have the 64 bit version of Windows, right? The 32 bit version doesn't support UEFI, which is required to install on GPT drives. Even if you do have the 64 bit version, it still needs to be either on a FAT formatted USB drive, or you need to dd the ISO9660/UDF filesystem directly to the USB drive.

E: Wait, Boot Camp Assistant should be detecting that it's a supported version of Windows on its own, I think? Don't know what's up, then.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

wait it needs to be on a usb drive? i'm trying to use a dvd. also it is def 64bit windows

e: also i have previously installed on a smaller drive with no problems that i remember (this was like two years ago)

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 30, 2016

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Oops, I was not aware that you had an optical drive. That should also work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey, did anybody download the latest Safari Developer Preview?

Apple posted:

Browser Differences

Safari Technology Preview can be run side-by-side with Safari and set as the default browser
Separate local data stores are used for history, bookmarks, cookies, and cache
Browsing history and bookmarks are synced over iCloud when iCloud sync is enabled
The Develop menu is enabled by default
Receives regular updates through the Updates tab of the Mac App Store
Bug reports made on bugreport.apple.com should specify Safari Technology Preview

JavaScript Improvements

ECMAScript 6 support including lexical scoping, iterators, generators, arrow functions, default parameter values and many new built-in APIs
Better standards compliant IndexedDB support with more stability
Included the B3 JavaScript JIT compiler with low-latency, high-throughput that boosts performance
Added the ability to use `document.execCommand('copy')` and `document.execCommand('cut')` in response to a user gesture to copy and cut text programmatically

HTML Enhancements

The latest implementation of the Shadow DOM specification
Added support for Content Security Policy Level 2
Web Inspector Changes
Added memory summary and JavaScript allocations timelines
Added a fast JavaScript sampling profiler
Improved JavaScript profiling timeline view

Behavior Changes

Included many web compatibility fixes and bug fixes

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Thank you!! Safari has been hardlocking my 2015 mbpr multiple times per day since I got 10.11.4, hopefully they de-hosed it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

One quick note: ublock seems to work okay on STP, but I had to install it from scratch, extensions don't get ported over (which is a good thing IMHO.)

But the whitelist got trashed after my first save. You might have to launch old (ha) Safari, copy the whitelist there, then quit, launch STP, open the whitelist and paste it there.

Edit: Also, I dunno, STP might be even more of a bitchy app if your regular Safari app was flaky, but let us know how it works out anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm using STP and can't say I've noticed any issues so far today. I also haven't really noticed any changes either, so whatever.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Are there any common reasons for OS X's built-in VNC viewer not being able to connect to a server, but RealVNC works just fine? Command + K in Finder with the address as vnc://IP:PORT tells me that it can't connect, but RealVNC doesn't have any issue connecting from my Mac and TightVNC works on my Windows machine. I'm stumped.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 30, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There are many bug fixes in newer versions of TightVNC that may be needed:

quote:

TightVNC 2.7.3

Fixed a compatibility issue with non-TightVNC servers (Mac remote desktop, UltraVNC) when ZRLE encoding is used.

http://www.tightvnc.com/whatsnew.php

I just use VNC app for Chrome instead.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 31, 2016

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are there any common reasons for OS X's built-in VNC viewer not being able to connect to a server, but RealVNC works just fine? Command + K in Finder with the address as vnc://IP:PORT tells me that it can't connect, but RealVNC doesn't have any issue connecting from my Mac and TightVNC works on my Windows machine. I'm stumped.

What type of server are you connecting to, RealVNC or built-in screen sharing? (Or something else..?)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Froist posted:

What type of server are you connecting to, RealVNC or built-in screen sharing? (Or something else..?)
tightvncserver using default settings.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

tightvncserver using default settings.

It may be down to some quirks of the pixel format (or encoding) handling, or cursor updates can often cause problems between different client/server implementations too. TightVNC is generally one of the better behaved servers in this regard, but if you're really set on using the built-in viewer you could try playing around with the client-side colour/quality settings, or disabling cursor updates (if that's an option) on the server end.

RealVNC does try to maintain as wide compatibility as possible, so it's not entirely surprising to me that it works there ;)

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Trying to set up Windows 10 via Boot Camp, and it wants to download drivers and write them to the USB drive where the Windows 10 image lives. Only problem is the USB installer drive is read--only. Is there a way to force it to to allow r/w access?

Drive is FAT btw.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: VNC issues, yeah I think it's just cause OS X's viewer doesn't support all the features whatever server might be using. I remember having to turn off a lot of stuff to connect to one of my machines before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daring Fireball is saying that OSX is probably going to be renamed to macOS soon. RIP X.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mu Zeta posted:

Daring Fireball is saying that OSX is probably going to be renamed to macOS soon. RIP X.

I can definitely get behind this

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

What's happening to my Youtube :ohdear:
Running Captain with the newest version of Chrome.

Fixed it, Ghostery was blocking the CSS of youtube for some reason. :shrug:

e: Update of the Library fixed it as well, now I can run both again.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I successfully installed Windows 10 via the Boot Camp Assistant, and Windows is running great. However I don't have a taskbar icon in Windows to switch back to OS X. What do I need to do to download and install the missing software that will let me do this? I can boot back into Mac via holding option, however this is a pain since I'm running my MBP in clamshell mode and the option key isn't recognized on startup if it's coming from an external keyboard. :|

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You don't have the Boot Camp Control Panel? (Gray diamond) You can et the startup disk using that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I never really liked the name "OS X", as whenever I had a problem, it was such an awkward thing to Google. Plus, we've been on "10" for a decade and a half now. We weren't on OS 7, 8, or 9 anywhere near half that long.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

You don't have the Boot Camp Control Panel? (Gray diamond) You can et the startup disk using that.

Nope, it's missing completely. I tried downloading and running Apple Software Update for Windows but that only added iTunes and the iCloud app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

terre packet posted:

Nope, it's missing completely. I tried downloading and running Apple Software Update for Windows but that only added iTunes and the iCloud app.

It's installed as part of the Boot Camp driver package.

Try going into Control Panel (I *think* it's in there). There should be an option to put an icon in the task bar.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Mu Zeta posted:

Finally, I can stop listening to people argue over whether it's "oh ess ex" or "oh ess ten".

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Axiem posted:

Finally, I can stop listening to people argue over whether it's "oh ess ex" or "oh ess ten".

"Macos" or "Mac Oh Ess"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Axiem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLKOXi9SZgQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Wait, you guys don't say ossex? Like Essex with an o???