Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Basically, MGS2 characterizes its characters in the same way MGS4 does; you get told their whole story over codec by somebody else. This is not good storytelling, because it's all tell and no show.

A scene where Fatman and Stillman actually interacted with each other could have told the entire backstory of them in a fluid way; similarly, Stillman's introduction and then death are incredibly rushed. Same with Aimes really; I get they are trying to replicate what happened in MGS1, but Baker's monologue is so well-written that we get a sense of who is he and what he stands for without any real need for a lengthy codec call to tell us. He also has important poo poo to say; the entire Fatman story arc in MGS2 is kind of unrelated to the main plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can we have spoiler tagless discussions of venom snake yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

it's a retread of MGS 1.
Yes, that's the point.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, that's the point.

And that's my point!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

axleblaze posted:

I still like that Snyder said at one point that while Moore might be against the movie he was sure one day he'd put it in on some lazy afternoon and realize that he had been done right and Moore responded to that by pretty much saying "gently caress you, I'm never watching your garbage loving movie idiot."

Watchmen could have been worse but a bunch of scenes are mishandled, Snyder is blunt about everything because he doesn't trust his audience, and most of the things he added or changed (except for the big one) are painfully bad (I hate the scene at the end of the movie between Laurie and her Mom so loving much)

The part that sticks out the most in my mind about Watchmen is when Ozymandias explains he gave Manhattan's ex-wife cancer, instead of letting us imagine "a smart man like him has hundreds of ways to expose people to carcinogens, how chilling" there's a cut to Ozymandias, in full costume, putting a loving Wile E. Coyote machine in the vents that spews green gas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snyder obviously a big fan of the 90's Batman movies

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: ^^^ -- Especially 'cause he just rips off Tim Burton's "kill Bruce's parents" scene, right down to the pearl necklace imagery instead of blood splatter.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, that's the point.

Which they manage to make work, but it's a bit irritating in how they do it. Again, I enjoyed the pacing of MGS1; you have a brief stealth section, a few story scenes, usually followed by a boss fight or action sequence. The story and gameplay elements felt the most balanced. MGS2 has way more story than gameplay, which is a shame 'cause the gameplay is much better, and again, the story is largely told in huge blocks of text via codec, which kills the momentum of any situation. And you have so many long codec calls in the middle of boss fights that it becomes kind of laughable.

Is there a good story in MGS2? Yes, sure. But is it well told? I'd argue no, not really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Snyder obviously a big fan of the 90's Batman movies
People kept insisting that Ozymandias' bat-nipples costume was some kinda subversion of the trends of superhero films and blah blah but I just think Zack Snyder really wanted us to know Ozzy wasn't straight.

oddium posted:

can we have spoiler tagless discussions of venom snake yet

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The original costume and set design for the movie led me to believe that it was going to be sharply critical of pre-MCU super hero movies where Wolverine is a guy in a leather jacket and Batman had nipples but then the movie came out and it was just a straight retelling of the comic and I was upset.

Lurdiak posted:

People kept insisting that Ozymandias' bat-nipples costume was some kinda subversion of the trends of superhero films and blah blah but I just think Zack Snyder really wanted us to know Ozzy wasn't straight.

gently caress u!!!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i liked the part of metal gear solid where snake hides under a cardboard box

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Truth be told, Ozymandias was kind of a weak villain the comics too, even if he gets the best line in comics.

Do you really think I'd tell you my whole plan if there was any hope you could stop me? It's done, I did it 35 minutes ago.

What's really weird is how much the Incredibles is a way better Watchman movie than the Watchman movie was.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I like the part where they're really intelligent and affecting games but all people talk about is how cuh-raaayzee those plots are!!!!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I like the part where they're really intelligent and affecting games but all people talk about is how cuh-raaayzee those plots are!!!!

We can't allow ourselves to be ruled over by our jeans.

But you had the superior jeans; my jeans were inferior, BROTHER!!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Uncharted 3 on Crushing, didn't really seem that much harder than Normal tbh, apart from a couple of bits with too many of the bullet sponge armoured enemies.
While the story obviously goes downhill half way through, otherwise it's probably my favourite of the three and the sinking cruise liner is my favourite set piece. I love the bit where you drop down in to the ballroom with the wall of water barely held behind the glass, it made me involuntarily hold my breath.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Snake's butt was my favorite thing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I can't remember anything about MGS 4 other than the really emotionally affecting moments so it's oh-kay with me even if people keep yelling at me that it's stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the Most Compelling Butt in Videogames

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

the Most Compelling Butt in Videogames

actually that's ramza

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

5 is the first metal gear solid i've played. it's pretty cool.

i just got to the part where i stole a rocket launcher and then this giant robot came and grabbed me and then i had to fight these teleporting ghost dudes

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does Kirby have a butt? This is important.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Kirby is a butt.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

kirby's official designation is "pink piece of poo poo"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I can't believe Metal Gear is loving dead.

Also, I can't believe Revengeance was a thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol if you were affected by any metal gear solid plot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Revengeance is the best Metal Gear.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jay Rust posted:

lol if you were affected by any metal gear solid plot

Do these people exist

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lady Naga posted:

Do these people exist

lol just lol if you get affected by anything or experience emotions

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i though the part where you're in the passenger seat of a car and there's a guy on horseback chasing you who is also on fire was kinda confusing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sakurazuka posted:

lol just lol if you get affected by anything or experience emotions

I can understand getting emotional because of character beats or certain deliveries, but like, the plot itself?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

snake is a clone of snake and you have to fight an evil clone of snake who wants to destroy the world or something

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm driven to feel things just from Snake's butt alone. I'm the true emotional genius in this thread.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I was really moved by the serious moment during the on-the-ship fistfight when the music drops to a few guitar plucks and it's just two old men groaning and panting and beating the poo poo out of each other because the combination of the music, the vocal direction and the context of the scene in the larger series was really evocative but I can't imagine someone being driven to near tears by like, the reveal that the patriots are all dead or whatever.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

lol if you don't think this isn't the cutest poo poo ever

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

VoidBurger posted:

I'm driven to feel things just from Snake's butt alone. I'm the true emotional genius in this thread.

Agreed, especially in Five.

Lady Naga posted:

I was really moved by the serious moment during the on-the-ship fistfight when the music drops to a few guitar plucks and it's just two old men groaning and panting and beating the poo poo out of each other because the combination of the music, the vocal direction and the context of the scene in the larger series was really evocative but I can't imagine someone being driven to near tears by like, the reveal that the patriots are all dead or whatever.

A combination of eating nothing but sugar, not sleeping and that fist fight made me cry a little bit. I won't lie.

Re: Hayter. Sutherland was somehow more expressionless and dead voiced as snake than Hayter ever was.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The end of Metal Gear Solid 3 is pretty emotional because the whole plot has ultimately been building up to this confrontation between two characters, both of whom demonstrate a remarkable amount of development and nuance to their vocal and motion-captured performances. The strength of the relationship between the Boss and Naked Snake makes MGS3 work; similarly, the strong human connection to Ocelot makes that sub plot all the more satisfying by the end.

At the end of the day, Metal Gear Solid's characters have always been what gave the series its gravitas. Grey Fox's death in MGS1 is a great scene because of how we, the player, have had differing interactions with the cyborg ninja; somethings being aided by him, and at least once facing him in battle. Because of that gameplay connection, the story sequence where he is killed gruesomely by the villain is a moment of motivation both for Snake and for the player.

But, y'know. Nanomachines, son.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Emotional moments I remember from MGS 4:

-The live-action TV stuff from the beginning
-The opening monologue
-Big Momma shouting "No!" and crying as Big Boss's corpse burns away
-The followup Bay-esque cutscene featuring dozens of soldiers and helicopters and Liquid Ocelot going "BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG"
-The microwave hallway
-Raiden getting hilariously chumped and barfing alfredo sauce
-Battleship fistfight
-When the trenchcoat is pulled off to reveal two of those tiny, three-armed robots
-Snake paying his tributes to Big Boss in a mirror of the MGS 3 end

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lady Naga posted:

I can't remember anything about MGS 4 other than the really emotionally affecting moments so it's oh-kay with me even if people keep yelling at me that it's stupid.

How do you remember what doesn't exist?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Emotional moments I remember from MGS 4:

-The live-action TV stuff from the beginning
-The opening monologue
-Big Momma shouting "No!" and crying as Big Boss's corpse burns away
-The followup Bay-esque cutscene featuring dozens of soldiers and helicopters and Liquid Ocelot going "BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG"
-The microwave hallway
-Raiden getting hilariously chumped and barfing alfredo sauce
-Battleship fistfight
-When the trenchcoat is pulled off to reveal two of those tiny, three-armed robots
-Snake paying his tributes to Big Boss in a mirror of the MGS 3 end

You forgot the Metal Gear fight. Aka the most emotional scene in the game.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ometeotl posted:

How do you remember what doesn't exist?

I just gave a whole list of moments I found emotionally affecting but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember the MGS games had Circle be the "confirm" button, which is just wrong

• Locked thread