Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After watching the two trailers, I'm actually seriously hoping that it's not a joke and the game really comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

I am actually against battling anything in a Lovecraft game over running away in screaming, blind terror or avoiding things lest it leads to running away in blind terror. The best parts of, say, the Shadow Over Innsmouth Game was fleeing in blind panic through the hotel. The worst parts were when you had a pistol and shot at things. Plus the stealth was garbage-weak.

Bloodborne definitely does Cosmic Horror better than most imitations do; partly because it uses different names for the things that it has, so you can't point at any one thing and call it a shoggoth. And while you can kill unsightly abominations, it's not exactly a "good" thing either since at least once or twice it makes the world worse and weirder, and all three of the endings are ambiguous and indicate you're still just a pawn among larger forces.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So does anyone miss PS1 era graphics in their horror games? Well apparently there's a new game coming out in April called 'Back in 1995' that might fill in that void: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOYoj-a4UI4

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
^^ Also this looks cool as hell. The original Silent Hill is actually one of my favourite games and I'm getting a little of that vibe just looking at this.

Speedball posted:

Bloodborne definitely does Cosmic Horror better than most imitations do; partly because it uses different names for the things that it has, so you can't point at any one thing and call it a shoggoth. And while you can kill unsightly abominations, it's not exactly a "good" thing either since at least once or twice it makes the world worse and weirder, and all three of the endings are ambiguous and indicate you're still just a pawn among larger forces.

I think I mentioned it before in the thread, but yeah, Bloodborne is a masterclass on this type of stuff in alot of ways, both aesthetically and settings-wise. It's an action game, but the bleak horror of the type of setting comes from your actions being totally unable to make things better, by and large. Even when you've possibly done something "good" it often has some really negative and horrific fallout.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There should be a Lovecraft game where it opens with a traditional spooky excerpt from one of his tales, then you're dropped into the game and told to avoid looking at anything that might damage your sanity.

You spend the rest of the game scrabbling desperately at your mouse to avoid looking at black people, poor people, laborers and penguins while your character screams in abject terror in the middle of a completely ordinary town.

It'll be the most accurate Lovecraft game ever conceived.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The most authentic lovecraft game would be a video game version of in the walls of eryx where it is just you stuck in a maze made of invisible walls while you suffocate and lizard people laugh at you

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I thought the thing people would actually get upset about in that trailer is that they're apparently forcing Cthulhu into a story that at no point involved Cthulhu.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
He's probably just going to be a hallucination or dream sequence though, it wouldn't make any sense for him to actually show up.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

I am actually against battling anything in a Lovecraft game over running away in screaming, blind terror or avoiding things lest it leads to running away in blind terror. The best parts of, say, the Shadow Over Innsmouth Game was fleeing in blind panic through the hotel. The worst parts were when you had a pistol and shot at things. Plus the stealth was garbage-weak.

I'll agree with you there. Hotel sequence was particularly good for letting you play out one of the best bits in one of the best stories. But yeah, the mythos stuff in spirit doesn't really work when you try and combine it with run and gun gameplay. Would be cool if you had some sort of walking simulator type offering where you explored crazy elder city constructions (maybe something along the lines of NaissanceE, preferably without the jumping puzzles) but I guess at that point you're making experiences and not games. I would like to bumble around R'lyeh in an Oculus Rift though. Will be interesting to see what tack Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu game and Frogware's Sinking City take.

1stGear posted:

I thought the thing people would actually get upset about in that trailer is that they're apparently forcing Cthulhu into a story that at no point involved Cthulhu.

He's mentioned in passing a bit, the history of the Old Ones has them warring against the Cthulhu spawn in ages passed, they could be visualising that maybe. Inevitably it will be an excuse to shoehorn in a boss battle with the big guy though, yeah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Really they just need to make a HD update of Eternal Darkness. Think about how many new sanity effects they could do!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been thinking about it and now I'm curious about if an In the Walls of Eryx type game could be scary or not. On one hand, you could see whatever monsters were chasing you at all times, and they would know their way around the maze, and you would not, but I can imagine something like that getting really annoying too.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone already made a game like that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Accordion Man posted:

It really felt like they were planning on making Alex gay, but changed course halfway through. Like the game makes much more sense with Alex desperately trying to win his family's approval after coming out, even enlisting in the army, which caused him to get discharged due to don't ask don't tell. The sexy nurses, the Siam, the Lurker with its vagina dentata mouth, and those split penis monsters would make much more sense as well, even if they'd be on the nose.

I remember when we were playing through it, my brother and I would bandy about theories as to what was Alex's actual deal.

I don't remember all of them, but at one point we thought Alex could have been a kid and it was all in his head, considering all the little things around the house. Like the mentions of stuff like the comic books they always used to read together, I think you can pass a toy store and Alex will mention something about their father being furious at them being in their, that casette tape you can find of their pretend radio show, the fact they had bunk beds. I think there were a few other things that made us theorize 'no way is Alex an adult/soldier. Also the way his parents behaved, we had come to the conclusion that Josh had been killed by the father or someone else, and the whole thing was Alex's mentally broken delusion that if he could have been older and stronger, he could have saved him.

But nope, just a rehash of 'killed loved one, blocked it out, gettin' tormented for it'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Len posted:

Really they just need to make a HD update of Eternal Darkness. Think about how many new sanity effects they could do!

Too bad Silicon Knights imploded because of their terrible owner

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nintendo owns Eternal Darkness, its solely on them.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I remember when we were playing through it, my brother and I would bandy about theories as to what was Alex's actual deal.

I don't remember all of them, but at one point we thought Alex could have been a kid and it was all in his head, considering all the little things around the house. Like the mentions of stuff like the comic books they always used to read together, I think you can pass a toy store and Alex will mention something about their father being furious at them being in their, that casette tape you can find of their pretend radio show, the fact they had bunk beds. I think there were a few other things that made us theorize 'no way is Alex an adult/soldier. Also the way his parents behaved, we had come to the conclusion that Josh had been killed by the father or someone else, and the whole thing was Alex's mentally broken delusion that if he could have been older and stronger, he could have saved him.

But nope, just a rehash of 'killed loved one, blocked it out, gettin' tormented for it'

This also would have been worlds cooler than what actually happened.

Though to be fair to Homecoming, I do enjoy how the boss designs are related to the plot. Those were cool and the only decently-thought-out-feeling things in the whole game. ........Until the final boss happened and the monster design looked like the art team threw darts at a board labeled with horror tropes. "Okay we got....... "pregnant"... "spider"..... "knife"... "old-timey camera"... and "choking on something shoved down its throat". Let's see what we can do with this trash."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad Silicon Knights imploded because of their terrible owner

The only times SK made anything good they were working with someone else who actually knew what they were doing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The only times SK made anything good they were working with someone else who actually knew what they were doing.

They did Blood Omen and it was a good thing Crystal Dynamics ripped that poo poo right from them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'll be honest and completely terrible, I had missed some kind of important time and date information or something because all that text fluff just gave me the impression that Alex was like, mentally disabled or something and that the military backstory was complete BS. So he was just a big dumb manchild like Lenny from Mice and Men. But I also didn't pay much attention to Homecoming because everything about it just failed to catch my interest.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest and completely terrible, I had missed some kind of important time and date information or something because all that text fluff just gave me the impression that Alex was like, mentally disabled or something and that the military backstory was complete BS. So he was just a big dumb manchild like Lenny from Mice and Men. But I also didn't pay much attention to Homecoming because everything about it just failed to catch my interest.

Hey, that was always a possibility too. Just imagine that scene with his dad now... 'You were never in the Army... you were in a group home for the mentally retarded after you smothered your brother in the sandbox while you two were playing Army men!' Alex stumbles back in horror, only to look down and realize...
He's wearing Velcro shoes.

Or, just being a chill guy and spending time with Josh.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hey, that was always a possibility too. Just imagine that scene with his dad now... 'You were never in the Army... you were in a group home for the mentally retarded after you smothered your brother in the sandbox while you two were playing Army men!' Alex stumbles back in horror, only to look down and realize...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So who all is excited for Nightcry coming out tomorrow? I know I certainly am!
https://zippy.gfycat.com/DimpledFrenchAllosaurus.mp4

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I have an unreasonable love for Clock Tower and it's weird barely-coherent nature.

Related note anyone give Dead Secret a try? Gonna dive into it tonight.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Niggurath posted:

So who all is excited for Nightcry coming out tomorrow? I know I certainly am!
http://fuckyeah-redlettermedia.tumblr.com/post/68924157310/whaaaat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm really excited for Nightcry

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I have an unreasonable love for Clock Tower and it's weird barely-coherent nature.

Related note anyone give Dead Secret a try? Gonna dive into it tonight.
I played a demo for it, and it was ummmm alright? It's slow as gently caress, and it feels very much like a VR game (which means it can be clunky as gently caress and doesn't look great)...but when the 'monster' comes out it definitely gets better.

Possible spoiler of the first real scare in the game and warning of my poo poo mouth talking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWaNamNwYU&t=3195s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The villain reminds me of Alice, Sweet Alice. I like villains in smirking masks.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hey, that was always a possibility too. Just imagine that scene with his dad now... 'You were never in the Army... you were in a group home for the mentally retarded after you smothered your brother in the sandbox while you two were playing Army men!' Alex stumbles back in horror, only to look down and realize...he has been circumcised

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
The ObsCure Collection is on sale on Steam for less than $7.50 if anyone's interested. Haven't played it myself but from what I heard, it's basically Resident Evil but in high school. Has anyone here played it. If so, how is it as a game?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Nicaden posted:

The ObsCure Collection is on sale on Steam for less than $7.50 if anyone's interested. Haven't played it myself but from what I heard, it's basically Resident Evil but in high school. Has anyone here played it. If so, how is it as a game?

First one is okay. The second one is bad. Only play it with a friend, as that is what I did.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Nicaden posted:

I really liked both of them. They capture the late 90s/early 00s teen horror vibe really well.

Thanks for drawing my attention to the fact they are on sale because it is actually rarely enough that they are.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The ObsCure games also have one of the best soundtracks IMO. The composer was top notch.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

NightCry feels like the direct successor to the SNES and PS1 Clock Tower games, with all the jank you'd expect from that. Personally I'm loving it, but it's not going to be for most people. It requires a firm affinity for those games.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Yeah i'm getting that same vibe. It's everything i've ever wanted in another clock tower :allears:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The ObsCure games also have one of the best soundtracks IMO. The composer was top notch.

Fuuuck the lack of widescreen support is gonna make this far less enjoyable :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

man nurse posted:

NightCry feels like the direct successor to the SNES and PS1 Clock Tower games, with all the jank you'd expect from that. Personally I'm loving it, but it's not going to be for most people. It requires a firm affinity for those games.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Yeah i'm getting that same vibe. It's everything i've ever wanted in another clock tower :allears:

gently caress yeah!!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, I played through the first ummmm scene of Nightcry and I gotta say that was mostly pretty fun. The camera is definitely janky and sometimes navigating is a pain, but it definitely feels like a Clock Tower game (especially compared to the atrocious mess that was Clock Tower 3). But I guess I'm a bit too accustomed to games nowadays where they offer tutorials and poo poo, cause this game mostly does not do that. There's a point near the end of the first scene and all it did was pop up this flashing sign with an exclamation...no hint as to what to do and I assumed it meant danger but it wasn't like any of the other QTE's given. So I just kinda died not really knowing what the game expected of me other than randomly clicking on things, but it's still fine. And I got a pretty good laugh when the murder cart killed generic crew member, so it's good to know that the vending machine death wasn't just a fluke in the realm of bizarre deaths.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I started watching an LP of the most recent Fatal Frame, Maiden of Dark Water, and it doesn't look that bad? All the characters look like they just came from a jpop idol concert but other than that the forests are spooky and the WiiU controller camera gimmick is neat. Does it get really lovely later on, or did the fashion mannequin characters turn everyone off that bad?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I heard the plot isn't that good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

I started watching an LP of the most recent Fatal Frame, Maiden of Dark Water, and it doesn't look that bad? All the characters look like they just came from a jpop idol concert but other than that the forests are spooky and the WiiU controller camera gimmick is neat. Does it get really lovely later on, or did the fashion mannequin characters turn everyone off that bad?
I wouldn't say it ever gets lovely, at least nowhere nearly as bad as 4 but it also never really gets as good as the original three. I think a few people have mentioned in this thread that while the mountain setting could be scary, it's only not the usual trap of most Fatal Frame locations. So people can easily just leave and never come back if that want to, it's just the plot thinks up silly means to drive them back (but this was also one of the problems with Fatal Frame 2's plot in so much that it was pretty much lose twin, find twin trapped, free and reunite with twin, lose twin, rinse repeat). But most of the mechanics are solid and the scares are reasonably good, and they managed to tone down the skeeziness of 4 and the remake of 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Meh. It's just really tedious and janky and all around unremarkable compared to the previous entries. It feels like a step down in every way, from the controls to the story to the scares. Hope you like running through the same environments over and over again. I know backtracking was a thing in previous entries, but it's really linear this time around, in that it's like get from point A to point B through these same environments, but this time it's longer! Or this time it's a different character! I just found the whole thing to be a mediocre slog, and that's speaking as a fan of the previous four titles. I'm glad we got it and all, but I couldn't recommend it to anybody in good conscious.