Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

put arch on some 50 dollar machine hooked to the back of my tv. works great. now if roku would implement a web browser/screen mirroring that worked i wouldn't need a little linux computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blowfish posted:

:psyboom:

how

why

are you making this up because it sounds like it would take active effort to implement this dumb bug

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
special thanks to generous YOSPOSter Beast of Bourbon for hooking me up with a sick graphics card to replace my dead GTX 760, DOTA is working good now on FEDORA. over 100 FPS and working great. Appears there's no DISCORD app for Linux, but it is COMING SOON so thats very thrilling. Also, there is no native StarCraft II client, but i read it works p deece with the PlayOnLinux wine wrapper thing, so i might try that, some time soon.

I had a bug where I couldnt click on anything in GNOME with the proprietary nvidia driver, but I followed some guide to install the negativo drivers or whate4ver from here: http://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/ and thats working well.

bless to all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does the discord web interface work on linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Does the discord web interface work on linux

not sure, haven't checked - but it doesn't have PTT so that's a nonstarter.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

Also, there is no native StarCraft II client, but i read it works p deece with the PlayOnLinux wine wrapper thing, so i might try that, some time soon.

starcraft ii works great in wine

also blizzard "officially" supports wine at least insofar as their cheat detection should never trigger on wine users

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
epic chrome extension for windows migrants: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/autoscroll/occjjkgifpmdgodlplnacmkejpdionan

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

blowfish posted:

:psyboom:

how

why

are you making this up because it sounds like it would take active effort to implement this dumb bug

yeah, why do you thinks "rms" has no vowels?

the backstory is that in the university world they used to charge for computer use per printed vowel, so people did their best to avoid them, even going to absurd lengths like using numbers for software versions instead of distinct names. Linuxes usually do both now like Ubuntu Swole Swallow etc

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

i tried to get back to linux on the desktop since whenever i left the glorious autism filled days of running gentoo on a laptop (including weekends and weekends of recompiling X11 because something broke again), i installed fedora

is the default window manager a mean, mean joke? who needs title bars that are the same height as half the screen

e: gently caress it i installed i3 and that works, back to autism central though

geonetix fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 28, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer toucher posted:

yeah, why do you thinks "rms" has no vowels?

the backstory is that in the university world they used to charge for computer use per printed vowel, so people did their best to avoid them, even going to absurd lengths like using numbers for software versions instead of distinct names. Linuxes usually do both now like Ubuntu Swole Swallow etc

I'm still assuming you're taking me for a ride because this is just stupid all the way down.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

blowfish posted:

I'm still assuming you're taking me for a ride because this is just stupid all the way down.

Linux is p stupid.

search for "Linux - from 1.0 to Gullible Gibbon - a history of operating systems."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

geonetix posted:

is the default window manager a mean, mean joke?

i am pretty sure gnome 3.x is a cruel joke, yes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure gnome 3.x is a cruel joke, yes

I like gnome shell. :unsmith:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ratbert90 posted:

I like gnome shell. :unsmith:

what, even the inexplicably inch-high title bars?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol if you have such poo poo pixel density that they're actually an inch high

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Phoenixan posted:

lol if you have such poo poo pixel density that they're actually an inch high

My 1280x800 netbook weeps!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my 15.6 inch laptop with a 1366 x 768 screen!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

I don't give a poo poo because I actually get poo poo done instead of worrying about title bars.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
more people would probably love gnome 3 if its default appearance out of the box attracted a reaction other than "oh god why is it so chunky and hideous make it go away"

the same is, of course, true of me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like the look of gnome 3 and ive never used the word "chunky" to describe it, hehe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I like LXQt. It's efficient, does what I need it to, has a minimalist design, it uses Qt instead of GTK (the inferior widget framework), and above all, it doesn't use a lot of Ram.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
google chrome uses 8 gb of ram

i'm not concerned about the extra 256 mb or whatever for kde

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google chrome uses 8 gb of ram

i'm not concerned about the extra 256 mb or whatever for kde

Every kibibyte matters when you're running swapless to stay on the bleeding edge of performance.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

i like the look of gnome 3 and ive never used the word "chunky" to describe it, hehe.

gnome 3 is the desktop environment where the cell phone style lock screen that literally nobody loving asked for has been broken in one way or another ever since it was introduced

and where the mouse cursor is laggy under wayland because idk apparently the javascript vm embedded in the window manager needs to run on the same thread as the scene graph and the input handler, or something.

i kinda wish kde would get their poo poo together but unfortunately gnome's shell sucks whereas kde's literally everything else sucks more.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have 32gb of ram in my home PC. Vm's for dayyyyyssss. :smug:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3 is the desktop environment where the cell phone style lock screen that literally nobody loving asked for has been broken in one way or another ever since it was introduced

and where the mouse cursor is laggy under wayland because idk apparently the javascript vm embedded in the window manager needs to run on the same thread as the scene graph and the input handler, or something.

i kinda wish kde would get their poo poo together but unfortunately gnome's shell sucks whereas kde's literally everything else sucks more.
budgie is pretty decent right now

its also in the main repos for arch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zom Aur posted:

budgie is pretty decent right now

its also in the main repos for arch

sure let me use yet another People's Front of Judea desktop environment

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

sure let me use yet another People's Front of Judea desktop environment
its pretty much gnome with a different panel

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Soricidus posted:

just change whatever you want thru tweak-tool, dconf editor, lookingglass etc

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Every kibibyte matters when you're running swapless to stay on the bleeding edge of performance.

SSDs plus lots of cheap RAM. Or just lots of cheap RAM if swapless.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

OldAlias posted:

it's still garbage out of the box

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

OldAlias posted:

oh, can you do that now? last time I set up gnome3 the only way to shrink the title bars was by editing an undocumented text file in a specific hidden directory

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if it's not in either it should just be editing a few css lines

e, /home/blah/.config/gtk-3x.y

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 28, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
yes, that's the text file in the hidden directory I was referring to

hasn't linux on the desktop come on a long way! why, I remember the bad old days when things were exactly like this except the text files you had to edit by hand were not in a hidden directory, and also had detailed manpages. I'm so glad we've escaped that hell.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I use xmonad and it does what it needs. it was a pain at first to copy and paste what I wanted into the config file but I haven't edited that since the first week I installed it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

yes, that's the text file in the hidden directory I was referring to

hasn't linux on the desktop come on a long way! why, I remember the bad old days when things were exactly like this except the text files you had to edit by hand were not in a hidden directory, and also had detailed manpages. I'm so glad we've escaped that hell.

this but unironically

in the bad old days programs would poo poo a few hundred dotfiles right into your home directory, now you've got the xdg user directory specification so it all goes into .local (which is like your private usr) or .config or .cache or whatever.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

this but unironically

in the bad old days programs would poo poo a few hundred dotfiles right into your home directory, now you've got the xdg user directory specification so it all goes into .local (which is like your private usr) or .config or .cache or whatever.

this hasn't gone into Ubuntu yet has it? we're preparing for the big lts upgrade (our devs love switching startup scripts systems again, by the way) but we haven't used or seen .local etc

also my fedora is now running i3, which is still a bit weird coming from dwm but anything is better than 500px title bars

e: vvv welp. brb figuring out why we haven't

geonetix fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 29, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ubuntu has used .local, .config and .cache for years

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
installed redshift kuz theres no flux package for the duke nukem forever package manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I have "fond" memories of trying to figure out the right xfree86 modeline so my trinitron would do something other than 640x480

"those" were the "days"