Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Itzena posted:

Counterpoint: WoD's zones were actually fun to play through and there's still more content than HoT.

Admittedly that's a pretty low bar, but whatever!

what is wod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

ItBurns posted:

what is wod

Warlords of Draenor, the most recently released World of Warcraft expansion

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Other posted:

Warlords of Draenor, the most recently released World of Warcraft expansion

drat that sounds tight

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Big hoo hah on reddit over wooden potatoes new rant video, he's thinking about quitting the game over the legendary announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3UMwYQHMw

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Visidan posted:

Big hoo hah on reddit over wooden potatoes new rant video, he's thinking about quitting the game over the legendary announcement.

Pretty funny. Anet is so hosed in the PR department. Better to clam up and not say poo poo but noooooo they want to be more open, hahaha.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Visidan posted:

drat this is good I missed it in my daily email alert of new wooden potatoes videos

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty funny that one of their biggest fan PR 'tubers has slowly turned against them.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Honestly you all deserve the dying content for all the "SAB is never coming back" poo poo.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lonk posted:

Honestly you all deserve the dying content for all the "SAB is never coming back" poo poo.

It isn't, though.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Look forward to Friday's "Return of SAB" content release, where entering the Super Adventure Box lobby causes Sabetha to spawn and instantly kill you with her flamewall if you haven't yet cleared Spirit Vale.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If SAB isn't here on april first, the reaction will be marvelous.

And Lonk should probably be on suicide watch.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

suicide pay-per-view

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Ahaha, they deleted a bunch of posts that call HoT 'half an expansion' after Mike threw a fit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the 5 people on the sab team have been moved to the exciting new shift in priorities that we will be seeing Soon

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'd pay a sub cost to play an MMO that didn't have any grind if it meant guaranteed content. I guess there's not enough people out there like that.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

suicide pay-per-view

wait until my occulus rift comes for maximum cyberpunk

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pesterchum posted:

Ahaha, they deleted a bunch of posts that call HoT 'half an expansion' after Mike threw a fit.

Anet loves digging that hole

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ItBurns posted:

wait until my occulus rift comes for maximum cyberpunk

the dystopian future is here and it comes in an adventure box

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Lonk posted:

SAB was some exponentially worse content in a game of already bad content

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wrong fukka, sab was good and cool

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

SAB was both good and probably not enough to make people satisfied when and if they release it for another two weeks

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Why wouldn't they just...keep it in?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

You're talking about people who spent a good chunk of time making temporary everything in spite of everyone telling them just why that's an awful idea. We'd probably be able to convince them to keep working on the legendaries if we could pitch a way to make them temporary so that you needed a black lion purchase to reforge them.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

you have to know when to pull out

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Extra posted:

I'd pay a sub cost to play an MMO that didn't have any grind if it meant guaranteed content. I guess there's not enough people out there like that.

You can play FF14 for that. Oh wait, you said no grind, not endless grinds. Nevermind.

It does have a sub and guaranteed content though (new dungeons/raids to obsolete your previous gear with + a lot of fedex quests improved (?) by JRPG storytelling).

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Pesterchum posted:

I made a post replying to a guy getting all excited because he thought O'Brien mentioning the manifesto meant they were going back to that. I called him the biggest rube in the world if thinks the manifesto was relevant to anet after the first couple months or it ever will be again. My post was deleted.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Not gonna lie, even before I started working at Anet this has always been a sticking point for me since it shows kind of a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is developed.

Let's say I give you the task to write a program that outputs "Hello, world!". Pretty easy, right? This is usually the first program people will ever write. You can do it in one line of code, in some languages!
Believe me, I totally understand the sentiment. It's super frustrating as a player to see that the end of the day, nothing significant appears to have changed, but just because the end result looks close to the original doesn't mean there wasn't a significant amount of work on our end to actually make it look and feel like it did with those new features too.

I'm a software developer professionally, and I agree with a lot of what you say given your hypothetical hello world program. I have personally written a server-based chat program that does exactly what you describe as part of a hobby network-based game I have been developing in my free time. With GW2, though, what we're talking about with the LFG system is leveraging stuff that already exists--as in, everything should be there to do this already. They're not doing new development with unknown pitfalls and hang-ups.

I'll tell you for absolutely certain that if they can't perform a simple text-replace without it taking more than a dozen man-hours, their libraries and engine code must be absolutely, abysmally and unbelievably hosed. Localization files are literally text and a find-replace on "Sorrow's Embrace" --> "Frogfucker Prime" or whatever the raid boss is called should take less than a minute, plus a few minutes to double-check the replacements for unexpected consequences. If they need to change GUI graphics somehow, add an hour or two for spin-up of a graphics dev from some other duty.

Like, no joke, this task is about as easy as it gets for people who, presumably, have a resume that says "Software Developer."

Vargs posted:

Other video game developers seem perfectly capable of making changes/adding content on a steady and satisfying basis. Maybe there are good reasons why GW2 is not capable of doing so. I don't care about those reasons though.

Yeah, exactly. If your competitors can do it but you say you can't, it raises questions as to why you can't.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Supposedly all the poo poo they've done to the game after SAB has made SAB really unstable and would require it to be rebuilt again basically.

Some guy says he has a character still in the hub area of SAB and everything is all hosed, THIS OF COURSE COULD BE LIES, I know a goon said he had a character logged in forever at the top of the mad king jumping puzzle so maybe you can leave a character you don't care about in content that isn't active yet?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I made a post replying to a guy getting all excited because he thought O'Brien mentioning the manifesto meant they were going back to that. I called him the biggest rube in the world if thinks the manifesto was relevant to anet after the first couple months or it ever will be again. My post was deleted.

I think I've had more posts on that forum deleted than any of the other forums I've been to combined, despite not being particularly hostile in my posting. Anet seems really into removing stuff (such as content).

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

I'm a software developer professionally, and I agree with a lot of what you say given your hypothetical hello world program. I have personally written a server-based chat program that does exactly what you describe as part of a hobby network-based game I have been developing in my free time.

When is your game coming out?

Where is the playable alpha?

Where can I download the roadmap?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hmmm, I wonder if a certain dictator from the past would have deleted troublesome forum posts, hrrmmmm...

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

orcane posted:

You can play FF14 for that. Oh wait, you said no grind, not endless grinds. Nevermind.

It does have a sub and guaranteed content though (new dungeons/raids to obsolete your previous gear with + a lot of fedex quests improved (?) by JRPG storytelling).

moogles and adults that look like children tho.

Vargs posted:

I think I've had more posts on that forum deleted than any of the other forums I've been to combined, despite not being particularly hostile in my posting. Anet seems really into removing stuff (such as content).

Well I mean, you were promoting white power and stuff

Alteisen posted:

Supposedly all the poo poo they've done to the game after SAB has made SAB really unstable and would require it to be rebuilt again basically.

Some guy says he has a character still in the hub area of SAB and everything is all hosed, THIS OF COURSE COULD BE LIES,

Nah there was a vid of it, it's true.

Also fixed, SAB coming april 1st confirmed

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Alteisen posted:

Some guy says he has a character still in the hub area of SAB and everything is all hosed, THIS OF COURSE COULD BE LIES, I know a goon said he had a character logged in forever at the top of the mad king jumping puzzle so maybe you can leave a character you don't care about in content that isn't active yet?

Within minutes of taking out the old wvw borderlands they apparently became unusable and a danger to the codebase itself and would require a great deal of work to be able to bring them back. Even though the plan was supposedly to start rotating them at some point.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

ItBurns posted:

When is your game coming out?

Where is the playable alpha?

Where can I download the roadmap?

My game's currently only a hobby and I have an actual career that pays money, so I may never get the game to release-readiness. Such is life. I have gotten quite far on an unpaid, free time only, hobby project, though. Imagine if I were being paid to do it.

Believe me, though, if I do get something playable, you jerks will be the first to hear about it. I'm just not gonna waste your time with vaporware and promises for the future that may be empty promises.
... Unlike ANet?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

My game's currently only a hobby and I have an actual career that pays money, so I may never get the game to release-readiness. Such is life. I have gotten quite far on an unpaid, free time only, hobby project, though. Imagine if I were being paid to do it.

Believe me, though, if I do get something playable, you jerks will be the first to hear about it. I'm just not gonna waste your time with vaporware and promises for the future that may be empty promises.
... Unlike ANet?

FizzBuzz online is officially dead.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
FizzBuzz claims to have one dev working on chat but that's literally a ten minute project. What is the rest of the dev working on???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

... Unlike ANet?

Star Citizen?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

WoD had new dungeons checkmate HoT.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

lazorexplosion posted:

WoD had new dungeons checkmate HoT.

But who has the better ERP community