Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Bing bling, may your drives be straight and long. Awesome.

It's such a loud and obnoxious color I love it! I may have to pony up for the matching 3 wood and hybrid this year :)

And oh god the matching iron set is like sex but my irons are only a few years old and not in need of replacing...yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think you'll find that it's never too soon to get new clubs. :getin:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't encourage me!

I just got a new bag last week too.

Ogio Shredder cart bag

My old Ogio was going on 6 years old and was starting to show its' age. Picked this guy up for $90 from the pga superstore that day I went and hit the new drivers. That turned out to be a real drat expensive day!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

It's such a loud and obnoxious color I love it! I may have to pony up for the matching 3 wood and hybrid this year :)

And oh god the matching iron set is like sex but my irons are only a few years old and not in need of replacing...yet!

holy poo poo those are gorgeous

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Well, I just had the round of my life on maybe the SHITTIEST greens I've ever played. I give up.

I haven't played this course in 3 years, and I've played it a lot before then. Logged probably 100 rounds there. The greens have never been good, but they were even worse today. To shoot my best score (by quite a few strokes) and putt lights out on terrible greens is affecting me in a way I can't explain.

It'd be one thing to shoot my best round (quite possibly for the rest of my life) on greens that were smooth: a good stroke and good read leaves you with a birdie. Here, it's just... luck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy gently caress that back 9 :stare:

That is a world class round dude

E: Did you chip in #5 too? Jesus
E2: or a "putt" from the fringe or something?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

holy gently caress that back 9 :stare:

That is a world class round dude

E: Did you chip in #5 too? Jesus
E2: or a "putt" from the fringe or something?

Chip in from the fringe with my 58*. Again, I must stress the greens are just silly. The ball squirted right and then spun back left, but the sand on the green just let it continue to roll out toward the hole.

Edit: A 29 does look pretty drat nice for 9 holes. I've certainly shot worse on that nine.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bruh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Chip in from the fringe with my 58*. Again, I must stress the greens are just silly. The ball squirted right and then spun back left, but the sand on the green just let it continue to roll out toward the hole.

Edit: A 29 does look pretty drat nice for 9 holes. I've certainly shot worse on that nine.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Amazing Kameh, Sergio would be proud :)

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Kameh posted:

Well, I just had the round of my life on maybe the SHITTIEST greens I've ever played. I give up.

I haven't played this course in 3 years, and I've played it a lot before then. Logged probably 100 rounds there. The greens have never been good, but they were even worse today. To shoot my best score (by quite a few strokes) and putt lights out on terrible greens is affecting me in a way I can't explain.

It'd be one thing to shoot my best round (quite possibly for the rest of my life) on greens that were smooth: a good stroke and good read leaves you with a birdie. Here, it's just... luck.

Great round man.

Played my 3rd round of the year today. Played with some cool people, but the greens were a few days into being aerated, so that wasn't great. Drove the ball well, hit some great iron shots--game seems to be rounding into form nicely.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Christ almighty.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I dont know how you people can afford new clubs more often than every 15 years with the stupid prices they want for everything golf related these days. :smith:

One day I will be able to replace my 9 year old set of clubs (and 15 year old woods and 18 year old putter).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My Ping G15s are about 8 years old now but I've been very happy with them on the whole. I may look at a new putter at some point, since my (gloriously named) WACK-E is a suuuuuper jumpy putter, but I can definitely understand that siren song of new stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

I dont know how you people can afford new clubs more often than every 15 years with the stupid prices they want for everything golf related these days. :smith:

One day I will be able to replace my 9 year old set of clubs (and 15 year old woods and 18 year old putter).

I don't have any kids!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mattfl posted:

I don't have any kids!

Neither do I!

I do have school debts and registration exams/fees out the wazoo right now though. There will be new clubs in the future, just not this year. :unsmith:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Neither do I!

I do have school debts and registration exams/fees out the wazoo right now though. There will be new clubs in the future, just not this year. :unsmith:

I mean, I also have a full time job and my wife works and we make decent money. Golfing is probably my most expensive hobby next to my Jeep, so it's really the only thing I spend money on outside of normal stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Golf clubs are like cars - there's little reason to buy new.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah if you have some sort of used sporting goods store around, you will find an assload of clubs, especially wedges and putters. A lot of them are gimmicky things from informercials and such but you can also find some really nice stuff if you look around. Most times all you need to do to them is get them re-gripped and cleaned up and you're good to go.

E: Didn't one of you find a set of copper ping eye irons or wedges on ebay once? I'm still mad jealous of that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Getting Lamkin UTx grips for my new irons this time. Mid-size.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/maximum-performance/ut-x/utx-golf-grips.html

Was using New Decade grips for ages so I thought I'd try something new.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I actually just got a Lamkin grip on my lob wedge because they didn't have any Tour Velvets in stock so I figured I'd give them a shot. I like it so far after a few rounds. I am not very impressed with Tour Velvets in wet conditions or if I'm sweating a lot but I haven't played enough yet to see if the Lamkin handles it better.

The stock grips on my Bridgestone irons are probably going to need replacing at the end of this season if not sooner, I'll have to start thinking about what to replace them with.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Halo14 posted:

Getting Lamkin UTx grips for my new irons this time. Mid-size.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/maximum-performance/ut-x/utx-golf-grips.html

Was using New Decade grips for ages so I thought I'd try something new.

I use those and love em, got a box of new ones sitting right next to me as we speak. Gonna re-grip my whole bag sans putter.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

quote:

Here is hoping nothing stupid happens this week because I am going to get new clubs before the weekend is over come hell or high water!

***UPDATE***

Picked up a 2016 Ogio Silencer cart bag for a steal on Saturday. Then on Sunday while browsing a local store and hitting every iron in sight I was offered a pretty awesome deal I couldn't pass up. Ended up getting a set of Taylormade Rsi TP irons 3-PW, brand new, for $400 bucks. I almost bought these clubs last fall, then changed my mind because at the time I didn't need new clubs. Up until then I was actually considering biting the bullet and buying the 2016 Apex Pro's. The Apex is slightly more bladey, but they both felt very similar off the face and the taylormades had about 5 yards more carry average which put them at the distance I normally would hit a 6 iron (190ish) with my old clubs. Now I just need a driver, putter, couple wedges and a 3 wood to round out the set ><.

Also, if it wasn't already apparent. Don't ever buy clubs from Golf Galaxy. They had that Nike Vapor Fly driver priced at $399 and it wasn't even the PRO version. Not to mention they were selling a set of used R9 irons for 900 dollars.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 4, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Is this the Vapor Fly or Vapor Fly Pro?

Ack, should have a taken a pic of the bottom of it. It's the Pro.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Ack, should have a taken a pic of the bottom of it. It's the Pro.

I should have known anyway since the face is black etc.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I think we're all shocked that you would go for old as opposed to new, or should I say, young.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Welp,

Out with the old

You've given me a good almost 3 years

In with the new!

Took it out to the range for a quick session and it felt pretty drat good. No mishits only thing I was hitting it a little high on the face but that could be due to the lovely range I was at. Can't wait to get it out on a real course.

Is the red one a Covert 2.0?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I think we're all shocked that you would go for old as opposed to new, or should I say, young.
Okay, fair play, that one's pretty good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Is the red one a Covert 2.0?
It's the first gen. The 2.0 has a "2.0" alignment aid.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What Josh said :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I don't remember where I first read/heard it, but the "feel != real" saying is so true in golf. I played 9 this afternoon, and the fourth hole is a longish par 4 where you really want to be in the fairway. So teeing off, I focused on just making good contact and hitting something straight or with a little draw, and I end up hitting it 300 yards down the right with a draw back to the middle of the fairway, leaving a nice straightforward wedge into the green. It was just a smooth relaxed driver swing where I didn't try to kill it, and ended up really happy with the result. And then shortly thereafter, there's the 9th hole. It's only 260ish from the tees I was playing, but with a huge X-shaped bunker guarding the entire front of the green meaning you need about 240 in the air. For whatever reason I feel like I need to crush it, and I take the hardest swing of the day.... And end up short of the bunker altogether. It's amazing how much of an idiot you can be within such a short span of time.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I know the feeling. For a while if I tried to hit the ball shorter than the normal distance for the club, it'd go long.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone try these FJ Hyperflex shoes yet? They seem pretty comfortable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don't watch a lot of women's golf but today Michelle Wie was wearing about a four inch skirt and Dunks and I thought things.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
If you don't want Herman to win this then you're a bad person.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lydia Ko is the player Jordan Spieth wishes he were.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Lydia Ko is the player Jordan Spieth wishes he were.

She's a kiwi but I fully expect Australia to claim her as our own.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

She's a kiwi but I fully expect Australia to claim her as our own.
Not when she wins the Olympics under the NZ flag :black101:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I sure hope so, she's great.

Oh geeze they've got a 24 hour Masters Golf channel here this week, I can only watch Greg Norman self destruct so many times. Painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ko definitely got help from the other contenders collapsing but she avoided a Tin Cup finish and got the birdie to clinch it.

Herman must have been feeling so much pressure on 18, plus waiting on the tee box for so long couldn't have helped. And he still hits his best drive of the tournament and makes an easy par, good for him.

We got 6 inches of snow here in NY over the last two days, which is more than we got in any storm all winter. I'm glad I got out a few times last week because it's going to be at least a week before anything is playable again.