Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: What is this poo poo.

Forbes, or as it's now become over the last few years, "a dumping ground where anyone can put their stupid blog post, no matter how insipid, and have it be taken seriously because people think the actual magazine staff wrote it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
You know Sunday was Easter, right? Like, it's not exactly a clean sample.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Timby posted:

Forbes, or as it's now become over the last few years, "a dumping ground where anyone can put their stupid blog post, no matter how insipid, and have it be taken seriously because people think the actual magazine staff wrote it."

Is the information in the article in question less accurate now because of this earth-shattering revelation?

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

General Ironicus posted:

It's the weekend WB/DC chose. Why didn't they just go with a May release date?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

How many of those movies had a family holiday on Sunday?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boob Marley posted:

It's the weekend WB/DC chose. Why didn't they just go with a May release date?

Because they have a clean 6 weeks or so with no competition now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Darko posted:

It's this reason. 6 weeks in which its competition is The Huntsman and Jungle Book.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Darko posted:

Exactly. Thank you.
They were originally slated for May. Then when Mr. American Part III announced it would also be in May, DC backed the gently caress out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget that the weekend drop for BvS was massively inflated because they rolled all of Thursday's $27.7m previews into Friday. It actually only got $54.31 on Friday so the Fri-Sun drop was actually only 31.56% which would drop it to the 14th spot on that chart, putting it within 2.3% of the Avenger's Fri-Sun drop.

Uh, I'm pretty sure including Thursday night previews as part of Friday's total is common practice, not something invented for BvS.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

How many of those movies had a family holiday on Sunday?

How did other blockbusters with openings on family holidays fare on previous years?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure including Thursday night previews as part of Friday's total is common practice, not something invented for BvS.

Yeah the rest of the chart is probably wrong as well. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How did other blockbusters with openings on family holidays fare on previous years?

Furious Seven opened on the Easter weekend last year and only had a $147m domestic/$397.7m worldwide opening, compared to BvS's $170m/$424.1m opening. F7 went on to gross $1.5 billion worldwide.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

General Ironicus posted:

Well, its drop was a bit steeper than Furious 7's, which was also an Easter opening (and much steeper than TWS, which wasn't Easter but opened around the same time two years ago). But next week will be more telling.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I loving love that even when the movie does well people will take ANY pot shots at it to deem it a bad movie. Eat poo poo.

Would you say this applies to Age of Ultron as well?

General Ironicus posted:

Does Easter matter? This is a genuine question because Christmas is considered a good day for going to the movies. I don't know if Easter is any worse or better.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 28, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Barry Convex posted:

I think the point he's making is that there wasn't a significant drop in between Friday and Saturday, BvS just made more money than usual on Thursday night

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yeah the rest of the chart is probably wrong as well. :v:

...no, the chart isn't wrong per se. You're just wrong to think that it's anything but common practice to include Thursday night previews in Friday grosses. Neither of the Avengers films, or IM3, or TDKR, or now BvS, made anywhere near as much in a single day as that chart would have it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Codependent Poster posted:

Would you say this applies to Age of Ultron as well?

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol before, either here or on various sites.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Boob Marley posted:

Exactly. Thank you.
They were originally slated for May. Then when Mr. American Part III announced it would also be in May, DC backed the gently caress out.

Correction: They were originally slated for December until The Force Awakens moved to December. I hope you wouldn't fault any other movie for getting the hell out of the way of loving Star Wars.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

...no, the chart isn't wrong per se. You're just wrong to think that it's anything but common practice to include Thursday night previews in Friday grosses. Neither of the Avengers films, or IM3, or TDKR, or now BvS, made anywhere near as much in a single day as that chart would have it.

Avengers didn't have Thursday previews as far as I can tell, it opened midnight Friday.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Here's a chart that Box Office Mojo put together to compare the opening weekend of BvS with a few other films.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=superherosmackdown.htm

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Does Easter matter? This is a genuine question because Christmas is considered a good day for going to the movies. I don't know if Easter is any worse or better.

Yeah not actually sure. I feel like with Chritmas you have the morning where kids are opening presents or whatever then everyone chills till dinner or whatever. This is when someone takes the kids/visiting cousins or whatever to the movies while everyone else preps for dinner. I feel like Easter is maybe a little different since people tend to go to church a little later, it's a little nicer usually so kids are outside hunting for Easter eggs, and it's more local family than people flying across the country.

This is all of course totally based on personal experience, not sure if this bears out in country-wide movie viewing trends. Again it could be because of bad reviews affecting the non-opening day fans, too.

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol before, either here or on various sites.

Seriously, one guy has repeatedly been openly talking about how it makes him orgasm that this movie will likely do bad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had the biggest smile on my face when Batman punched a guy in the face so hard he flew across the room and smashed a crate, then took another mook's gun and sprayed the room with machine gun fire. And the magnetic firing pin bombs. Dusty old bones, full of green dust. A perfect super hero movie minus the weird Aquaman and Dr. Pepper Cyborg sequence. Batman was so done with this poo poo, just being a brutal monster. Superman standing in the street as the Batmobile rocket drifts around the corner and the scene of it hobbling back to the batcave afterwards lmaooooo. The ridiculous slowmo push on crying Superman after that thing happens. I love it I love all of it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

I have no idea. The best information would be comparing it to other films that opened the same weekend, and other big-ticket action films that opened over Easters past. This is the first time Furious 7 and My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding 2 have been significant data points in the same discussion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Christmas and Easter are a little different.

With Christmas you have a lot of early morning activities and dinner, with the ONLY thing open during the day being the movies, and it rotates through days.

Easter is a family and church afternoon day with almost everything still being open and it always being on a Sunday.

They're similar, but that would be a hard thing to compare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I messaged my friend that works at Carmike, he says that traditionally Easter is a very slow day for film goers. Anecdotal and all that but still, he is the manager so he'd no best.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So did this thread love BvS the same way it loved MoS?

'Tis a silly film.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Avengers didn't have Thursday previews as far as I can tell, it opened midnight Friday.

And it made 18.7 million in those midnight previews, which is included in the Friday gross. Point is, there's no "inflation" uniquely unfavorable to BvS going on here at all. With Thursday night deducted, no film has even come close to an $80 million Friday opening l, to my knowledge.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...gle+Feedfetcher

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

So did this thread love BvS the same way it loved MoS?

'Tis a silly film.

The sales figures arent all in yet, hard to say at this point

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey guys, spoilers for Civil War. I have it on good authority that Tony will stop fighting with Steve when he realizes that Bucky and Rhodey's names are both, in fact, James.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Actually I know for a fact they put aside their differences after Tony makes a very on point quip that makes Cap re-evaluate everything.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

They called the fourth Iron Man film Iron Man Three.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why don't you put the whole movie industry in a bottle?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Why don't you put the whole movie industry in a bottle?

So we have to rub them the right way?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Superman died to save us all and will rise again. This Easter. A good religious movie again in the tradition of Ben Hur and Ten Commandments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently Civil War is supposed to have something "Universe Changing" along the same lines as Winter Soldier (SHIELD declared a terrorist organization, Fury "dead", Zola "alive", etc)

Question: Why do all the big universe changing events happen in Cap's films? Cap 1 introduced the completed Avengers, the Tesseract, and Infinity stones and Cap 2 was mentioned above.

Seems greedy; why can't poor Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, or Paul Rudd get a game changer? Paul Rudd needs this man, he's got a step-dad to compete with.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gatts posted:

Superman died to save us all and will rise again. This Easter. A good religious movie again in the tradition of Ben Hur and Ten Commandments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9dtZ8lYww&t=77s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barry Convex posted:

And it made 18.7 million in those midnight previews, which is included in the Friday gross. Point is, there's no "inflation" uniquely unfavorable to BvS going on here at all. With Thursday night deducted, no film has even come close to an $80 million Friday opening l, to my knowledge.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...gle+Feedfetcher

They rolled back 'midnight' screenings to 9pm and then 7pm in 2013, the year after The Avengers which greatly improved the audience numbers for those previews. Before then the Fri-Sun weekends didn't include Thursdays at all, since then they've pretty much added an extra day's worth of box office receipts to their opening totals.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently Civil War is supposed to have something "Universe Changing" along the same lines as Winter Soldier (SHIELD declared a terrorist organization, Fury "dead", Zola "alive", etc)

Question: Why do all the big universe changing events happen in Cap's films? Cap 1 introduced the completed Avengers, the Tesseract, and Infinity stones and Cap 2 was mentioned above.

Seems greedy; why can't poor Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, or Paul Rudd get a game changer? Paul Rudd needs this man, he's got a step-dad to compete with.

Aw man it turns out like...the president is some sort of..uh, super Hydra! All the regular old hydra guys will never see it coming when it turns out the real Hydra is extra evil now. The stakes have been raised.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really wish I cared about the DC universe and its films. Man of Steel, on a technical level (and most, at least in this subforum, would argue on storytelling as well), is leagues better than MCU stuff, but I find myself unable to care.

The BvS never did anything for me. I look at the Suicide Squad trailer and think that it certainly looks good, but I find myself with zero interest to engage in it.

So is it bad that I can admit that DCU films are generally more skillfully made, but I just don't like them as much as MCU films?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

MCU has fun likeable characters who say funny things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
The Avengers film is on BBC1 right now for UK goons, and I completely looked over this exchange at the beginning:

LOKI: My name is Loki of Asgard, and I'm here to free you!
NICK FURY: Of what?
LOKI: Your freedom.

And ends with Loki doing a 9/11 on New York, like some sort of anti-satire.

EDIT: it's also a lot brighter than when I saw it in the cinema, with all the shadows being really light. It's a colour correction nightmare.

• Locked thread