Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Mr. Belding posted:

While those specifics certainly didn't occur they wouldn't be terrifically outside the tone of the books. Example scenes would include the extra dimensional sex party where the Marquis de Sade asks a woman if she likes to gently caress "as a dog" and preceding Lord Mob's kidnapping when Lord Fanny brings home a spook with the intention of blowing him, but when she attempts to remove his pants he puts a gun in her mouth. She witnesses this scene from the past as a 12 year old in a drug induced magical trance.

I say all of this not to imply that Bruccato is anywhere near as talented as Morrison (because of course he is not), but they are both crazy people who believe in magic and write about it and this particular form of insanity can produce incredible things.

An important distinction is that most of the aberrant behavior portrayed in The Invisibles is the work of the *antagonists*, rather than Brucato's take of "here's what players should do!"

And de Sade's quote is a reference to doin' it doggystyle, not literally loving a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Terrorforge posted:

To be fair, it's a pretty common problem in RPG developers and it's hardly the first time a WoD book has cannibalized real-world spiritual traditions for terminology. Gnosis, jyhad, Great Work, benediction, bodhisattva, the list goes on.

Or loving "vampire", "werewolf", "mage", "changeling", etc. All those things are part of real-world spiritual/religious beliefs too.

The actual problem is appropriative uses, which the use of nagualli almost certainly is in Changing Breeds, but let's not get so far as to declare that it would be inappropriate for a mestizo/a or indigena author to use nagualli in their own RPG.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Simian_Prime posted:

An important distinction is that most of the aberrant behavior portrayed in The Invisibles is the work of the *antagonists*, rather than Brucato's take of "here's what players should do!"

And de Sade's quote is a reference to doin' it doggystyle, not literally loving a dog.

Uh.....I'm pretty sure that the Invisibles are intentionally portrayed as aberrant just as much as the Outer Church, just in a "positive" way.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 29, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Brainiac Five posted:

Or loving "vampire", "werewolf", "mage", "changeling", etc. All those things are part of real-world spiritual/religious beliefs too.

The actual problem is appropriative uses, which the use of nagualli almost certainly is in Changing Breeds, but let's not get so far as to declare that it would be inappropriate for a mestizo/a or indigena author to use nagualli in their own RPG.

Well, Brucato seems to believe he's literally a Satyr so I'm not sure how that fits into his ethnicity.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's so weird. I had checked pretty frequently and they only had the pdf.
Oh well, I ordered mine and am buzzing with excitement.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Dark Eras pdf is going out to backers this week. :dance:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, the actual physical copy only went up recently. The PDF had been there since December

Edit:

Maybe it was December. I just realized that I got my copy a month ago and I'm pretty sure I ended up waiting at least a month from the announcement that the physical was available

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 29, 2016

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Mr. Belding posted:

Literally all of this would happen if this took place in the universe of the Invisibles (which OWoD more or less is, at least post Mage: the Ascension). I don't know if it makes a good roleplaying game or not (probably not) but most roleplaying games don't make good roleplaying games anyway.

Phil's Mage stuff largely predates or runs parallel with The Invisibles. Awakening is really the game that cleaves closer in premise to that series.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So how would a Vampire go about condemning/bulldozing another Kindred's haven in relatively short order?

Asking for a friend :v:

edit: with influences

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 29, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Animalism for condemnation on health grounds, Celerity to cover the building in graffiti, and maybe a few dead bodies dumped outside.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Convince/Influence/Dominate some moke into stealing a bulldozer and doing it illegally. Nothing faster than that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hipster Occultist posted:

So how would a Vampire go about condemning/bulldozing another Kindred's haven in relatively short order?

Ironically bulldoze it to build a community center for troubled, inner city youths.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh, if you specifically meant how long has the print version been available, February 17th. Got mine. I think they cut down some of the God-Machine Chronicle Introduction for space. Which is understandable, but kind of a shame; the GMC is still complete enough in the new CoD core that I wouldn't expect anyone to buy it standalone anymore, but the extended introduction was really good for explaining concepts that seem to confuse people in straightforward, up-front ways, with good flavor examples. Fly dude who keeps ordering pizzas and doesn't walk to talk to the delivery woman, you will be missed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Ironically bulldoze it to build a community center for troubled, inner city youths ghouls.
Fixed for 6 month's time. :v:

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

If you want it 'above-board': Bureaucracy, Legal and/or Finance influence to alter records so the location is now recorded as Abandoned/Vacant/Unowned. This should waive the need to go through the time frame of informing the occupants, and offering a process for dispute/appeal by the owners.

Mechanically, I would set the Influence dots required at 3 + (Owner's Safe Place Rating + Owner's Haven Rating) in total dots spent, could require teamwork.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
neolithic mage! :supaburn:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Do your vampire know anybody who can hack Google?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What's a good new thing that's fun to read? Ex. I liked Collection of Horrors. I will not read Changing Breeds or Beast

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Basic Chunnel posted:

What's a good new thing that's fun to read? Ex. I liked Collection of Horrors. I will not read Changing Breeds or Beast

If you haven't read the Vampire clan books they're all worth a look-over. Testament of Longinus and Rites of the Dragon are too, Dreams of Avarice if you give a poo poo about Mummy...really, it's hard to get a total squeaky fart of a book barring the really, really early blue book supplements which were sometimes good but usually just okay.

Really, not knowing what you have and haven't read/enjoyed it's a lot harder to give advice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can you handle gross?

If so, read Slasher. It's good!

I, meanwhile, have been making my way through Dark Eras. It...kind of took me a while to get out of The Sundered World because that was a great chapter. I'm also enjoying To The Strongest.

That said: The poo poo y'all did to Medicine is stupid. For ancient eras, -6 to all complex uses of Medicine? Sitting that right next to 'Science works as normal except within the local worldview' was kind of, uh, dumb.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If you haven't read the Horror Recognition Guide yet this is my semi-annual plug for it because it's great and amazing always.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If you haven't read the Horror Recognition Guide yet this is my semi-annual plug for it because it's great and amazing always.

Collection of Horrors is the bundle of SASes that go along with it, so I assume they have.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been paging through Dark Eras. This is a Cool and Good Book.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some chapters are much better than others, though. It is hard to live up to the first two, I've been noticing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I really enjoyed God's Own Country, because it's nice to see New Zealand getting a look in, and in a reasonably under-represented time period, too.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Beneath the Skin has a piece of infrastructure that's basically an ancient, trans-continental warp pad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I haven't delved all that much into Vampire books but I did read some of the clan lore back from VtR, the dark Catholics and the Ordo Dracul and all that fun stuff. I read through some Chronicles of Darkness copy more recently and the whole God Machine thing is right up my alley (blind and mindless Lovecraftian Gods are A+), but what I liked about Collection of Horrors was the notion that you were getting the tip of the iceberg. That's all functional, of course, but I like the open-endedness. That's what I loved about Bloodlines, though it's neither here nor there - you're constantly brushing up against expansive things that aren't explored in detail. I love a well-built world.

I remember being interested in Slasher, though when I read these things I typically try and arrange some sort of game in my head and the idea of a slasher villain is just a little too compact for my tastes - it works as a "bottle episode" sort of jumping off point, quick and dirty, but I have a harder time trying to link that concept with the grander idea of WoD that I enjoy, which is that of a world with ominous and unknowable things around blind corners, but a world that must still be lived in. Admittedly if you turned Zodiac into a WoD it would work exceptionally well, but the concept seems much more tailored to Candyman than Hannibal.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 30, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Beneath the Skin has a piece of infrastructure that's basically an ancient, trans-continental warp pad.

The Steven Universe Demon game looking good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Beneath the Skin is one of the real standout chapters so far, for me, along with The Sundered World and To The Strongest. Three Kingdoms of Darkness is neat but doesn't match them, Constantinople is...well, kind of meh, sadly, due to its lack of focus on useful hooks. Viking chapter was a real disappointment. Elizabethan Vampire is...well, it's Vampire in Elizabethan England, it has some interesting stuff and the Changeling court stuff is neat. I haven't gotten further than that, yet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Basic Chunnel posted:

I remember being interested in Slasher, though when I read these things I typically try and arrange some sort of game in my head and the idea of a slasher villain is just a little too compact for my tastes - it works as a "bottle episode" sort of jumping off point, quick and dirty, but I have a harder time trying to link that concept with the grander idea of WoD that I enjoy, which is that of a world with ominous and unknowable things around blind corners, but a world that must still be lived in. Admittedly if you turned Zodiac into a WoD it would work exceptionally well, but the concept seems much more tailored to Candyman than Hannibal.

One of the example Slashers is my hook into the greater world: he and a number of other killers are attempting to reconstruct a mysterious and otherworldly map which is contained within the lives and bodies of those they kill, and trawl US highways for victims in an effort to finish the map first.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basically all of Demon: the Descent is really good if you haven't gotten to that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Alright I'm taking a look at the Demon Storyteller's Guide and Lore of the Clans. I also picked up something called "Dread Names. Red List" on a lark

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

You seem to have already picked some stuff, but Midnight Roads is one of my favorite CoD books in general and worth checking out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

it's going on the list!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

Some chapters are much better than others, though. It is hard to live up to the first two, I've been noticing.

I (the Developer of those first two) will take that as a compliment.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I (the Developer of those first two) will take that as a compliment.

How did the development of this book work? Did each line dev handle their sections of the book? Was there a "master architect" for the book as well?

Any idea where the Companion is in development?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Nystral posted:

How did the development of this book work? Did each line dev handle their sections of the book? Was there a "master architect" for the book as well?

Any idea where the Companion is in development?

Yeah - so every Era was effectively run as a miniature book, with a Dev who hired it out to one or more writers, did the art notes, etc. Matt McFarland acted as the project's coordinator.

The Companion is written and edited, and last I heard was waiting for Art to come in.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 30, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, my views:

Dark Era Tiers
Best: The Sundered World, To The Strongest, Beneath the Skin
Decent: Three Kingdoms of Darkness, Requiem for Regina, Fallen Blossoms, A Grimm Dark Era, God's Own Country
Disappointing: After the Fall, Bowery Dogs
Bad: Lily, Sabre and Thorn, Doubting Souls, The Wolf and the Raven.

I have to go back and do closer reads of Into the Cold, A Handful of Dust and The Ruins of Empire before I can make solid decisions there.

E: After the Fall and Bowery Dogs suffer mainly from being, well, history texts before they provide too much of game use. They are good history texts, however. Wolf and the Raven suffers a lot from lack of good stuff for game use and a few bits that are noticeably bad, like the whole 'you might be gay' condition. Lily, Sabre and Thorn is just...it is not good, it is 1e rules and this bizarre take on The Three Musketeers rather than either history or actual literary convention. Doubting Souls is real bad, it is the most boring takes and several of the compacts are just 'X, but older and more colonial', like Les Voyageurs are 'The Bear Lodge, but Quebecois'. Plus the Native American/First Nations groups are just written in the most boring ways.

This isn't to say the other chapters are perfect - I found Requiem for Regina too on-the-nose for a lot of vampire stuff, like it felt like barely an alt-setting rather than 'just run Vampire, but in the past', and Fallen Blossoms has 'the Lucifuge, but Japanese', but they all had parts that I felt shone past that.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Draxion posted:

You seem to have already picked some stuff, but Midnight Roads is one of my favorite CoD books in general and worth checking out.

Most of the "blue book" World of Darkness books are great. Mysterious Places, Asylum, Mirrors, Antagonists, Second Sight, Innocents, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Second Sight I thought was a mixed bag, but I have a hard time with anything that treats Edgar Cayce or Uri Geller with any degree of seriousness.

But to be more positive, you probably can't go wrong with the Promthean line. The main premise is a bit silly, but it plays it straight really, really well.