Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

The thread actually was more positive than I remembered.

But here are some fun, maybe unfair quotes:

"i'm trying to think of what cards would justify jumping through all the hoops of playing a merfolk looter that can't even be a looter in the late game just to be able to flashback a spell but not even on your opponent's turn, and i think the list is limited to "4 mana wrath" and i don't think even that comes close to justifying it"

"It's unfortunate that Borderland Ranger and Merfolk Looter are considered so overpowered today that strictly worse versions of them can only be printed at mythic."

"Jace might fill some niche role in control"

Oh and

(Your initial impression of Jace was not negative).

Sharzak posted:

Part of the fun of spoiler season is speculating about what will fit where and which cards will be good. Bringing poo poo up from a long rear end time ago as some sort of Gotcha is uncouth and gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JerryLee posted:

Now that Scry is evergreen it'd be cool if they went for a while with Dissolve being the "default" counter in Standard-legal sets, sort of like Cancel was.

Dissolve was much better than anything we have in standard now. Even Disdainful Stroke which i enjoyed playing a good deal is out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Maybe learn to follow the conversation/read better?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Counterspells are a little dubious right now anyways, I imagine. Draw-Go counterspells are something they've moved away from since the UW Revelation era (which was one of the best draw-go style decks in memory). There's still an Esper Dragons variant people are testing out and it isn't really a counterspell deck.

Yeah old school control is definitely out imo. More than the lack of sweet counterspells we are missing a truly great finisher like Aetherling to let them mop up. Sphinx of the Final word certainly doesn't get there.

More generally, since the invention of planeswalkers the viability of a pure wrath-counter-draw style control deck has been greatly diminished too.

I'm actually pretty high on Epiphany at the Drownyard. I'd love to try it with that mage-ring storage land.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rinkles posted:

Maybe learn to follow the conversation/read better?

i followed the conversation and declared it to be retarded, in my post. it is you who must learn to read.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Sharzak posted:

i followed the conversation and declared it to be retarded, in my post. it is you who must learn to read.

you know approximately zero people are going to treat you seriously if you're using gay and retarded as pejoratives right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sharzak posted:

So "fun, maybe unfair" didn't tip you off as to the tone? As in not some sort of "gay and uncouth" "gotcha"?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah old school control is definitely out imo. More than the lack of sweet counterspells we are missing a truly great finisher like Aetherling to let them mop up. Sphinx of the Final word certainly doesn't get there.

More generally, since the invention of planeswalkers the viability of a pure wrath-counter-draw style control deck has been greatly diminished too.

I'm actually pretty high on Epiphany at the Drownyard. I'd love to try it with that mage-ring storage land.

Epiphany at the Drownyard is the most obnoxious card. Opponent casts it; you sit there for 5 minutes while they loving fiddle around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What's wrong with Ojutai control? We still have Clash of Wills and Counterspell in the format.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Epiphany at the Drownyard is the most obnoxious card. Opponent casts it; you sit there for 5 minutes while they loving fiddle around.

Just remember that they are casting it over Dig Through Time or something actually good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I was pretty high on Jace, though I don't know (or care) if I actually posted anything in here saying as much.

Telex posted:

you know approximately zero people are going to treat you seriously if you're using gay and retarded as pejoratives right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was playing the flip Jace in Modern about a week after I originally thought it was bad.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I wrote down in my journal that Jace, Vryn's Prodigy would be a standard staple, good card, worth 80 USD. I won't share with you any proof of this because my journal is private and all must keep out.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

just rust posted:

I wrote down in my journal that Jace, Vryn's Prodigy would be a standard staple, good card, worth 80 USD. I won't share with you any proof of this because my journal is private and all must keep out.

Is this what you found, just rust?

- Jace Beleren

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This one is a lot of fun to play. A lot of these cards go from middling to bad to just being great once you hit Delirium. Traverse the Ulvenwald and Mindwrack Demon are the most fun cards.

Deck: GB Delirium

//Lands
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
1 Wastes

//Spells
4 Dead Weight
2 Grasp of Darkness
3 Spatial Contortion
3 To the Slaughter
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
4 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Kindly Stranger
4 Mindwrack Demon
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Tooth Collector

//Sideboard
3 Pick the Brain
1 To the Slaughter
2 Infinite Obliteration
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Matter Reshaper
3 Duress

Display deck statistics

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What's wrong with Ojutai control? We still have Clash of Wills and Counterspell in the format.

The loss of Crux of Fate, I'd wager. You still have Languish, but it still gets Ojutai if you don't go turn 4-5 with them.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

This one is a lot of fun to play. A lot of these cards go from middling to bad to just being great once you hit Delirium. Traverse the Ulvenwald and Mindwrack Demon are the most fun cards.

//Lands
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
1 Wastes

//Spells
4 Dead Weight
2 Grasp of Darkness
3 Spatial Contortion
3 To the Slaughter
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
4 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Kindly Stranger
4 Mindwrack Demon
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Tooth Collector

//Sideboard
3 Pick the Brain
1 To the Slaughter
2 Infinite Obliteration
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Matter Reshaper
3 Duress

Display deck statistics

Something that's always bothered me so I'm going to ask, why the Caves? There's nothing that needs white so why not just basic swamps?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It taps for a colorless.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't know why everyone is so aggressive on this jace thing when there are some goddawful posters topping the most posts list in this thread. Myself included.

Also, rg ramp with the werewolf lady and Chandra is a blast but I don't really want to pay standard premium prices for those walkers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

//Lands
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
1 Wastes

//Spells
4 Dead Weight
2 Grasp of Darkness
3 Spatial Contortion
3 To the Slaughter
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
4 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Kindly Stranger
4 Mindwrack Demon
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Tooth Collector

//Sideboard
3 Pick the Brain
1 To the Slaughter
2 Infinite Obliteration
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Matter Reshaper
3 Duress

Display deck statistics

I've been playing with a straight GB list that feels really tight, runs a ton of tutors, and curves out with Gitrog. Gitrog is a massive draw engine on a massive body and should see a lot of love.

Bonus value of casting a Mindwrack WITH Gitrog out, or a Gather the Pack with Gitrog out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

I love living in a world where a single poster can go from saying a creature is unplayable upon its release to defending it as the best creature in Standard.

If this thread had been around 16 years ago, we'd have seen this with Blastoderm. There's nothing new under the sun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If Gitrog had trample I'd probably try playing it in a modern abzan value creature list with Knight of the Reliquary. Having your big ol' 5 drop get chumped by young pyro tokens or whatever else sucks in modern, though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

//Lands
3 Caves of Koilos
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
5 Swamp
1 Wastes

//Spells
4 Dead Weight
2 Grasp of Darkness
3 Spatial Contortion
3 To the Slaughter
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
4 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Kindly Stranger
4 Mindwrack Demon
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Tooth Collector

//Sideboard
3 Pick the Brain
1 To the Slaughter
2 Infinite Obliteration
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Matter Reshaper
3 Duress

Display deck statistics

This is magical I'm glad I get to play on the MTGO beta so I can play with dumb decks like this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

If this thread had been around 16 years ago, we'd have seen this with Blastoderm. There's nothing new under the sun.

In politics we call them flip-floppers; in wizard poker, double faced cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For prerelease, most of you use check cards or sleeve up DFCs?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I always bring sleeves so I don't have to worry about damaging anything I open.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sarmhan posted:

I always bring sleeves so I don't have to worry about damaging anything I open.

I meant whether you use checkcards even when using (opaque) sleeves. Taking out cards to make sure you read them right seems like a hassle.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

To be fair Blastoderm wasn't all that good in the meta until they printed Fires of Yavimaya

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If Gitrog had trample I'd probably try playing it in a modern abzan value creature list with Knight of the Reliquary. Having your big ol' 5 drop get chumped by young pyro tokens or whatever else sucks in modern, though.

I'm thinking that the green value creature of the set will be the 3/3 that gives a 3/3 token whenever it attacks. A bit rough that it dies to bolt but after 1 attack you're in value town. For the gitrog, I think I'd rather be playing that legend that gives you a 5/3 whenever a land goes to the yard (if you're playing in a loam shell) or thragtusk otherwise.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rinkles posted:

Depends on the deck, if it's just one or two and my deck is value, using dark sleeves should be fine (and it's Pre-release so who cares).

If it's a crappy Aggro deck, I'll use check cards and not sleeves. If I'm playing a very transform heavy deck (werewolf or otherwise), I'd probably make sure I have dark enough sleeves or get checklist cards.

The awkward thing is that since Checklist cards probably won't be hyper available (like last time for Innistrad sealed) you'll have to either beg other players for theirs or hope it isn't obvious through your sleeves.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I meant whether you use checkcards even when using (opaque) sleeves. Taking out cards to make sure you read them right seems like a hassle.
I just sleeved mine during Inn block for the convenience. You can always just use one checklist if there's a more complicated DFC in your deck.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Count Bleck posted:

You got a list on hand? Big Red is one of the decks I wanted to try out.

I put it in the brewhaus, but here you go.

http://deckstats.net/decks/53561/454870-big-red-prodding

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I like it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I'm thinking that the green value creature of the set will be the 3/3 that gives a 3/3 token whenever it attacks. A bit rough that it dies to bolt but after 1 attack you're in value town. For the gitrog, I think I'd rather be playing that legend that gives you a 5/3 whenever a land goes to the yard (if you're playing in a loam shell) or thragtusk otherwise.

Titania isn't modern legal and only triggers when a land goes to the 'yard from play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Keep in mind Gitrog triggers when a land hits the yard from ANYWHERE. Pop a fetch? Draw. Ghost quarter? Draw. LotV? Draw. Lose that manland? Draw. Self mill? Draw.

Even in standard it can be a huge engine. That profitably blocks even Reality Smasher on curve.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I'll probably sleeve as I did in old Innistrad limited. Never felt flipping the card in and out of the sleeve was more than a minor inconvinience at worst.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So far, I don't think Arlinn Kord is particularly good. The flippy poo poo is mostly just a novelty that actually impedes the card's ability to help you do anything useful.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Balon posted:

Keep in mind Gitrog triggers when a land hits the yard from ANYWHERE. Pop a fetch? Draw. Ghost quarter? Draw. LotV? Draw. Lose that manland? Draw. Self mill? Draw.

Even in standard it can be a huge engine. That profitably blocks even Reality Smasher on curve.

It also triggers off of Retrace. Probably not hot enough for Modern but Raven's Crime cantripping is scary in concept.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Angry Grimace posted:

So far, I don't think Arlinn Kord is particularly good. The flippy poo poo is mostly just a novelty that actually impedes the card's ability to help you do anything useful.

There is a Vs video behind the SCG paywall with Tom Ross running Arlinn Kord in a rg midrange build with hangar back, thopter engineer, mom & dad, sylvan advocates, with bfz nissa and Chandra. Arlinn Kord looked great in that deck, flip side plus was pretty much game over each time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

To be fair Blastoderm wasn't all that good in the meta until they printed Fires of Yavimaya

This has very little to do with the printing of Fires of Yavimaya in Invasion block and a lot more to do with Urza's block rotating with the printing of Fires of Yavimaya and the rest of Invasion block.

• Locked thread