Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Daddar posted:

I am having a great time re-living EQ on Phinny. Hit me up, I am playing Mukjut the level 22 warrior.

Hello fellow guildie this is Vanaya 50 Cleric in Steel Brigade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If there's anybody playing on Lockjaw, me and 6 friends formed a guild to play together every Friday night (though we play a bit more). If you'd like to join us or just want to have a guild to bullshit in, send a tell to Brudish or Krehl (both me).

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Anyone playing on Phinigel? I'm basically new to EQ1 and have started up a halfling druid named Nowhy (I'm only level three :downs: ), and I'd love to join a guild!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm on Phinigel in a "casual guild that raids" which ends up spending more time raiding than raiding guilds because they suck. I'm looking for a change of venue to a "real" raid guild that takes less time to clear more stuff. I've got a 56 Necro and a 52 Enchanter and can happily main either. Anyone got a hookup?

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Iskar monk on Phingel named Ganak.

Hit me up if you want to play. I played this game like 15 years ago and I got the itch again so.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

boho posted:

I'm on Phinigel in a "casual guild that raids" which ends up spending more time raiding than raiding guilds because they suck. I'm looking for a change of venue to a "real" raid guild that takes less time to clear more stuff. I've got a 56 Necro and a 52 Enchanter and can happily main either. Anyone got a hookup?

Which guild is that?
Most of the high end guilds have rather obscene time/attendence requirements.

Just joined the guild I'm in about a week ago and am pretty happy with the setup so far.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Okay I am ready to get off of test. I don't own TBM(or TDS, or CoTF), and am not a gold member. I wanted to buy a heroic berserker and join an active server, but I started looking at the costs of everything. It would be 35 for the heroic, 15 for gold (10 if I bought a krono), and 30 for TBM. For me, that is far too much money to spend on EQ all at once. Does anyone have any ideas where I could cut the cost? I don't think I would be able to level 1-85 all alone.. especially with the rates of a normal server--I will just get bored and quit tbh. Thoughts?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

Okay I am ready to get off of test. I don't own TBM(or TDS, or CoTF), and am not a gold member. I wanted to buy a heroic berserker and join an active server, but I started looking at the costs of everything. It would be 35 for the heroic, 15 for gold (10 if I bought a krono), and 30 for TBM. For me, that is far too much money to spend on EQ all at once. Does anyone have any ideas where I could cut the cost? I don't think I would be able to level 1-85 all alone.. especially with the rates of a normal server--I will just get bored and quit tbh. Thoughts?
Well to begin with, all expansions up to and including CotF are free. If you're just going to walz around solo, you don't need TBM, but if you want to raid and do the latest content, then sure, you need it. I have 4 level 100's (solo boxing) and I'm still very contented with CofT. You won't need to buy the expansion until you're level 100, that's for certain, so you can hold off that purchase. Just login and you have CotF, up to level 100 and all that.

You can indeed get Kronos for $9-10 on the black market. By the far the cheapest way to subscribe; I'm happy I found that out. In my country it's close to half price.

You can play a very decent game with a free account these days, but on your main, you'll get tired of the popups and soon the lack of auto-grant AAs. For a box(es), you can go free fine. When you level them high enough (like level 90 or similar), pop a Krono on them, turn on auto-grant, and grind the poo poo out of AAs on them for a month using HAs, then you can let them go back to free again. Non-prestige gear is fine for boxes.

Buying a heroic char definitely saves a lot of time, but personally for me, the levelling journey is the best part. If you 2-box (highly recommended) with a set of tank and healer mercs, you can easily level while half asleep to the 60's, and beyond. The 70's are a drag; maybe you can buy some powerleveling? The recent auto-grant also helps a lot, and we might be in for some double XP weekends in the coming anniversary season.

Which server, and which class(es) are you planning?

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 19, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

solved the issue.
Was able to acquire an account with a heroic slot tbm and a month of playtime for 30 dollars. Anyone on CT wanna play? Or recommend me a cool server with lots of people?

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 20, 2016

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
I have not played EQ since..that moon thing, Luclin I think. Decided to give the test server a go, made a Necro called Hemsk. Figured I'd see if I could get some kick out of this, I guess it is mostly solo so I thought Necro would be decent. If anyone still plays there do say hi : )

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I dont mean to drive goons away from eqlive but if you enjoyed the game until Luclin and left due to where the game was headed you should check out Project 1999 (the thread is somewhere in MMO HMO for this).

Its a free daybreak games approved, private server which features Everquest from initial release to the end of the Velious expansion.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm in AoS on phinny but on a break currently due to work. They raid all hours via Twitter pings but due to pings going off all hours of the day/night, they only ask for 33% attendance. Guilds not bad and doesn't take an age to clear. Instance raids usually happen around 8/9pm est.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I dabbled in this game a bit ~Kunark era or so but never got too far. Felt nostalgiac and rolled up an Eruidite SK on Test a week or two ago and started him off in Paineel for grins. Probably not going to play very seriously so I'm not interested in subscribing right now.

Totally forgot that Cazicite Eurdites are KOS in Qeynos! So, uh... is there any way for me to get somewhere other than Odus or should I just reroll?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If you just started the character good or neutral would probably be easier. There is a zone called Plane of Knowledge that is the game's main hub and no one is kill on sight there, and you can get pretty much anywhere you're interested in with PoK stones, so it doesn't matter all that much. There is a stone right outside of Paineel in Tox, you can ctrl-f to find it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for the tip. I'm a glutton for punishment so I think I'll stick with the Erudite SK for now and just hope I can avoid roving.... uh, I guess literally every other race in the game!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm a glutton for punishment so I think I'll stick with the Erudite SK for now and just hope I can avoid roving.... uh, I guess literally every other race in the game!

There are a couple of people on test doing exactly what you are. Playing through the game one expansion at a time. It's really neat. Be sure to use the plane of knowledge though, or else you will burn out and quit. Also if you really want an experience, don't wear any defiant armor.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Haven't found any defiant armor!

Already poked around the Plane of Knowledge, definitely looks useful, and I've already learned that despite also worshiping Cazic Thule, I'm KoS to Trolls. Strangely, Dark Elves don't kill me on sight.

EDIT: I pretty much have to use the Plane of Knowledge anyway cuz as far as I can tell, I can't get off Odus without going to Qeynos where I'm KoS, which makes me wonder what evil Erudite players did before Planes of Power (which I assume is the expansion that introduced Plane of Knowledge)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 26, 2016

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Already poked around the Plane of Knowledge, definitely looks useful, and I've already learned that despite also worshiping Cazic Thule, I'm KoS to Trolls. Strangely, Dark Elves don't kill me on sight.

EDIT: I pretty much have to use the Plane of Knowledge anyway cuz as far as I can tell, I can't get off Odus without going to Qeynos where I'm KoS, which makes me wonder what evil Erudite players did before Planes of Power (which I assume is the expansion that introduced Plane of Knowledge)

Ports

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ah, of course. Makes sense.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Do you want any help ? Let me know, I have a lot of characters on test server, if you need plat or something let me know. I don't currently play on Test, because I just moved to another server two weeks ago.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think I'm OK for now, I'm content slaughtering snakes and babby skeletons with my rusty scythe and wandering around aimlessly till I find zones full of mobs that rip my head off. But thanks for the offer! My character's name is Ibiamen (thanks, random name generator!)

Out of curiosity, in the extremely small but not-non-existent chance I decide I want to play this game a bit more "seriously" (and subscribe), is it viable to have my main character on Test? If not, which live server is the best one?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

I think I'm OK for now, I'm content slaughtering snakes and babby skeletons with my rusty scythe and wandering around aimlessly till I find zones full of mobs that rip my head off. But thanks for the offer! My character's name is Ibiamen (thanks, random name generator!)

Out of curiosity, in the extremely small but not-non-existent chance I decide I want to play this game a bit more "seriously" (and subscribe), is it viable to have my main character on Test? If not, which live server is the best one?

Test is full of "testcopies" at the higher end. You will end up remaking as one most likely if you value your sanity. The game is hard enough without taking every possible advantage.. especially as a tank.

Not to discourage you, but the game drastically changes at 80 as gear becomes more crucial. My advice would be to try one of the progression servers or that P99 server if you like the experience you are having now.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I played on test for the last three or four years. I think it is viable depending on what you are expecting out of the game. Items really don't have value, and there is no economy because every just test copies from FV. With that said people raid on test server, and there are a ton of people who have been playing there since the beginning of time who want to help people out and build the community up. However, I think that if you end up falling in love with the game and decide you want to raid and do current stuff, and feel like test doesn't scratch your itch, then yeah you will probably have to go to another server. The free expansions and gold membership made it worth it for me for a while though, but I have for the most part been the guy that likes to do quests and explore and do epics.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

Test is full of "testcopies" at the higher end. You will end up remaking as one most likely if you value your sanity. The game is hard enough without taking every possible advantage.. especially as a tank.

Not to discourage you, but the game drastically changes at 80 as gear becomes more crucial. My advice would be to try one of the progression servers or that P99 server if you like the experience you are having now.

I play p99 pretty actively too, and it is def not the same game. I prefer EQ live to the classic experience in its current forms. Give me a progression server in PoP and move towards CoTF then count me in.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm contemplating rolling on Finny or whatever the progression server is if I decide to subscribe, which, if I do it, is something I think I'll do well before I hit 80 with this character, anyway. Even if I were to roll on a normal server, I'm not, like, married to trying to play by going through the old zones and I'll do whatever is the current method of playing through the game from 1 to cap. I probably won't get into high end raiding since I'm primarily into FFXIV, but I kinda enjoy the exploration and discovery in this game, with NPCs that you have to talk to to get quests from (I mean, like, walk up to them and hail them, no big glowing "!" involved) and then try to figure out where exactly to go next, etc., etc.

EDIT: Of course it's possible I'll just end up losing interest at some point, too!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 26, 2016

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
Is there a lot of difference between the rate of exp you get on the test server compared to the live servers?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I'm contemplating rolling on Finny or whatever the progression server is if I decide to subscribe, which, if I do it, is something I think I'll do well before I hit 80 with this character, anyway. Even if I were to roll on a normal server, I'm not, like, married to trying to play by going through the old zones and I'll do whatever is the current method of playing through the game from 1 to cap. I probably won't get into high end raiding since I'm primarily into FFXIV, but I kinda enjoy the exploration and discovery in this game, with NPCs that you have to talk to to get quests from (I mean, like, walk up to them and hail them, no big glowing "!" involved) and then try to figure out where exactly to go next, etc., etc.

EDIT: Of course it's possible I'll just end up losing interest at some point, too!

The current way to play the game sadly starts at around 80-90. Once you are there it is pretty cool, but I think most people would lose interest at that range if they weren't helplessly chained to this game for whatever reason.

Mgant posted:

Is there a lot of difference between the rate of exp you get on the test server compared to the live servers?

EXP on test is double. You can also /testbuff to start at level 25 with some gear.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FrostyPox posted:

I think playing on Live or Test would be good for you. It's fairly easy, and you can explore and quest to your heart's content once you level up, since you'll outpower the old content. You can even solo epics. Phinny has a 3 month period to unlock every expansion, and even though that sounds short, it is quite long if you just want to dabble, you might burn out and long for new content quickly. Live EQ has a ridiculous amount of content and is extremely solo-friendly if you like.

I was on Test for many years, but ultimately went back to Live a few years ago, since I kinda felt Test was like cheating. I really enjoy gathering meaningful money and items in RPGs, and money/items are just endlessly copyable on Test. Sure you can just level honestly and neither testcopy nor buy anything off the bazaar, but I also like trading. There also aren't so many people on Test anymore.

I recommend that you roll on a Live server, and start a 2nd character ("box") right now, both on free accounts. Having two chars helps tremendously in your safety (can have both tank and healer merc at the same time), and expands what you can do by a huge amount at the higher levels. A Shaman is an excellent partner for your SK. For the future, it's perfectly feasable to only subscribe (or use a Krono) on your main, and have your box(es) be free, so they don't cost you anything. But, you can begin by just being free on both accounts, it only starts to get a little annoying in the 60's or so due to lack of AAs.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Which server should I roll on live?

Do I have to use that program you have to pay for to box or is it possible without it? I don't really know anything about boxing, and I am also very, very cheap.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

FrostyPox posted:

Which server should I roll on live?

Do I have to use that program you have to pay for to box or is it possible without it? I don't really know anything about boxing, and I am also very, very cheap.

There's a few ways to run multiple instances of the game and if you're familiar with Autohotkey you can automate some features that ISBoxer has, but when I dabbled with playing I found that if you're going to multi-box you're best just ponying up the cash. It's so much better than actually multi-boxing, having to manually control each character.

I remember using EQWindows and a second desktop to triple box a Bard, Druid and Cleric back in the day before mercenaries in Luclin time...talk about tricky.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
If you're only going to play two characters you can just run two instances of EQ in windows and alt-tab between them. I wouldn't bother with ISBoxer or AHK if you're not going to like, 6-box.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I will try that, then.

Which server, if any, has the best goon presence? Otherwise I'll just roll on Cazic Thule-Fennin Ro because I played on Fennin Ro back in the day, so I recognize the name. That's the only reason.

Also dumb stupid lore question cuz I usually have at least a cursory interest in MMO lore: What's the deal with Frogloks? I noticed that good classes worship Mithaniel Marr, who IIRC is the god of being a Really Good Guy, and evil classes worship Innoruuk, who is God of Hating Everyone. But rather than it being like Erudites and Humans and other good races, where the evil god worshippers live under ground and all the good worshippers give them the stink eye or shank the on sight, the Good and Evil Frogloks live together and like each other. Like I ran an Innoruuk worshiping Froglok Rogue past the Paladin GM and he conned Amiable. So I am wondering about that.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Lore Reason: Frogloks originally took over Grobb when they got uplifted by Mith Marr to be Guktans, and could only be good or neutral classes at the time. Some time later, Dark Elves got tired of trolls being refugees in Neriak foreign quarter so they teamed up with the ogres and took back Grobb for the trolls, which kicked the Guktans out to Rathe Mountains. Because of the war, the frogs relaxed their stance on what their people could be, and who they worship, in order to survive.

Game Reason: Frogloks had a SK and Necromancer added to them, and faction issues stop being a thing once you get past Velious except in a few rare cases where it's used like WoW daily progression. The devs probably didn't feel like making a separate 'evil' area for frogs, so just made one base faction that all frogs are on. The war itself was apparently a GM event, you can find a bunch of items on Allakhazam that specify they dropped during the war.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hoohah posted:

The war itself was apparently a GM event, you can find a bunch of items on Allakhazam that specify they dropped during the war.

It was the Legacy of Ykesha opening event IIRC. I remember doing it and it was basically a player genocide of old troll Grobb by planar geared players that ended with a city full of frogs spawning, and unlocking frogs as a playable race.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

I will try that, then.

Which server, if any, has the best goon presence? Otherwise I'll just roll on Cazic Thule-Fennin Ro because I played on Fennin Ro back in the day, so I recognize the name. That's the only reason.

Also dumb stupid lore question cuz I usually have at least a cursory interest in MMO lore: What's the deal with Frogloks? I noticed that good classes worship Mithaniel Marr, who IIRC is the god of being a Really Good Guy, and evil classes worship Innoruuk, who is God of Hating Everyone. But rather than it being like Erudites and Humans and other good races, where the evil god worshippers live under ground and all the good worshippers give them the stink eye or shank the on sight, the Good and Evil Frogloks live together and like each other. Like I ran an Innoruuk worshiping Froglok Rogue past the Paladin GM and he conned Amiable. So I am wondering about that.

Honestly, Phinigel has the goon presence. I would estimate there are three of us goons playing on regular live servers. I am on Cazic Thule because the population is extremely high, and they have an open raid force. I know one guy is in the top guild on Xegony getting those phat pixels, and I think there are two people on Luclin?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Okay, so I'm looking to twink out my druid's gear (on Phinigel) but I don't know what I'm doing or how to get stuff. I've got about 4k to work with... Help!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Britt Burns posted:

Okay, so I'm looking to twink out my druid's gear (on Phinigel) but I don't know what I'm doing or how to get stuff. I've got about 4k to work with... Help!

you should camp the paw of oppola(sp?)! Get that TRUE classic experience... if that quest is even still in the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MF_James posted:

you should camp the paw of oppola(sp?)! Get that TRUE classic experience... if that quest is even still in the game.

I'll never forget how I got my Paw, we PK'd a Cleric who had just got done camping it, disarmed him and it dropped into his inventory. He was so, so, angry.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Medullah posted:

I'll never forget how I got my Paw, we PK'd a Cleric who had just got done camping it, disarmed him and it dropped into his inventory. He was so, so, angry.

haha wow that's awful. I spent a day and a half (or whatever the timer was.. I think i twas 36 hours) camping it when I was like 14, it was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Welp I guess I'll try my hand at dual boxing. Frostypox, Erudite Shadow Knight and Iceplague (creative, right), Troll Shaman, on Cazic Thule, which I just realized is.... appropriate.