Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

There are sociology disciplines devoted to intersectionality.

But you do understand that the biological concept of sex and the sociological concept of gender are very different and it is very meaningless indeed to attempt to extrapolate gender to Protozoa by veiling it as being the same as sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

So if the social perception of gender is so important, and someone's personal identification is so superficial; it stands to reason that it is better for society as a whole if people's gender identities were respected. As it is superficial to indulge the individual, and of social import overall.

It does not stand to reason, no.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lichy posted:

But you do understand that the biological concept of sex and the sociological concept of gender are very different and it is very meaningless indeed to attempt to extrapolate gender to Protozoa by veiling it as being the same as sex?

No you see, I reject your reality and substitute my own, in which everything including sponges, bacteria, and chemical reactions is actually based on identity in general and gender specifically.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

It does not stand to reason, no.

well let's try a different approach then, shall we? How does it harm the social construct that is gender if an individual self-identifies as something other than what their hospital doctor said they were when they were born?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

well let's try a different approach then, shall we? How does it harm the social construct that is gender if an individual self-identifies as something other than what their hospital doctor said they were when they were born?

You are conflating "special snowflake identity" with "transsexual" or "transgender".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really sure in a calmer mood, we'd quickly see blowfish and his detractors are much more in agreement than in disagreement, and about the remainder, a cool-header productive debate could be had.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I'm really sure in a calmer mood, we'd quickly see blowfish and his detractors are much more in agreement than in disagreement, and about the remainder, a cool-header productive debate could be had.

We are, however, on the internet and the only possible discussion is a flamewar.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

Exactly? Gender is a bad social construct, and personal genders do nothing to undermine gender as a force in our society. We should be working to abolish gender, not strengthen its grip.

E: You know we aren't talking about misgendering transsexual people right?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

Exactly? Gender is a bad social construct, and personal genders do nothing to undermine gender as a force in our society. We should be working to abolish gender, not strengthen its grip.
And what policy on how to address/refer to the people in question does result from this?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

How is someone dressing androgynously or switching between masculinized and feminized modes of dress "strengthening the grip" of gender? Surely rendering it cosmetic puts it on the same status as hair color, no?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

E: You know we aren't talking about misgendering transsexual people right?

If a transgender individual wants to use 'xhe' as a pronoun and someone doesn't want to respect that; that's misgendering.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

jivjov posted:

If a transgender individual wants to use 'xhe' as a pronoun and someone doesn't want to respect that; that's misgendering.

I'd respect it but in my head I'd also be going "ppfffft", so where does that leave me?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think the whole xe/xir thing is absurd but it's not really my place to weigh in on it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

coming back to the thread title, we should just treat gender like religion in a secular society: should not be trotted out in public~~~ :troll:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I think the whole xe/xir thing is absurd but it's not really my place to weigh in on it.

I'm of the opinion that people doing or saying absurd things should be actively educated. Climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, neoliberals (neo liberals), lolbertarians, and xe people who think other people need to actually call them that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

I'd respect it but in my head I'd also be going "ppfffft", so where does that leave me?

Your personal opinions are your own; and don't really factor into it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

n-words (neo liberals)

This gave you a little thrill, didn't it? Now act all innocent about it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

I'm of the opinion that people doing or saying absurd things should be actively educated. Climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, neoliberals (neo liberals), lolbertarians, and xe people who think other people need to actually call them that.
One of these is not like the other:

blowfish posted:

Climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, neoliberals (neo liberals), lolbertarians, and xe people who think other people need to actually call them that
How? Well, they have a few millennia of being treated horribly for something they're most likely somehow born with to look back at. Now this doesn't make their position inherently more truthful, but it does, I think, license an extra serving of respect that the others do not inherently deserve.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

This gave you a little thrill, didn't it? Now act all innocent about it.

no its the GBS word filter which also applies to other subforums.

type
code:
n e o l i b e r a l s
without the spaces and see what happens (it turns neoliberals into n-words)

you're warped worldview strikes again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blowfish posted:

So we're lumping people with actively harmful and dangerous beliefs in with "being transgender" now?

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Cingulate posted:

One of these is not like the other:

How? Well, they have a few millennia of being treated horribly for something they're most likely somehow born with to look back at. Now this doesn't make their position inherently more truthful, but it does, I think, license an extra serving of respect that the others do not inherently deserve.

Sounds like privilege to me.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

Ok good to know where you stand. I support that form of misgendering.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

So we're lumping people with actively harmful and dangerous beliefs in with "being transgender" now?

Still conflating trans people with single-person gender identities I guess?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

Ok good to know where you stand. I support that form of misgendering.

So you're an rear end then? Why would you support any form of deliberate misgendering?

blowfish posted:

Still conflating trans people with single-person gender identities I guess?

Does them using a different pronoun somehow make them less transgender? Or less deserving of respect and dignity?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 28, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

no its the GBS word filter which also applies to other subforums.

type
code:
n e o l i b e r a l s
without the spaces and see what happens (it turns neoliberals into n-words)

you're warped worldview strikes again

Ah, my bad. Hard to keep up with that stuff.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's the difference? Do you consider being trans to require a diagnosis of a particular disorder by a psychiatrist, and thus you accepting other identities would require their medicalization?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like privilege to me.
Sorry, what are you saying?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

So you're an rear end then? Why would you support any form of deliberate misgendering?

Because I don't believe in using personal genders for the reasons already given.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

Because I don't believe in using personal genders for the reasons already given.

So...you're an rear end then. You are actively advocating for deliberately misgendering someone. Your belief on the matter doesn't make their gender identity any less valid.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

The problem is, you're forced (by language) to use something. You don't have the option of simply not specifying it. So what do you pick, the one the other person considers insulting, or an alternative you consider ridiculous?

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Sorry, what are you saying?

The entitling one group to extra respect, based on how they were born, over another. That sounds like someone is being granted privilege.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

So...you're an rear end then. You are actively advocating for deliberately misgendering someone. Your belief on the matter doesn't make their gender identity any less valid.

Their gender identity isn't valid.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cingulate posted:

The problem is, you're forced (by language) to use something. You don't have the option of simply not specifying it. So what do you pick, the one the other person considers insulting, or an alternative you consider ridiculous?

"they/their"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

But I thought gender was a false and damaging construct to begin with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

And you were declared the world's sole authority on what genders are and aren't valid....when?

May I see your credentials?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Ah, my bad. Hard to keep up with that stuff.

Also try
I ' m g a y
C u c k e d/C u c k i n g

and every other GBS buzzword :eng101:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There shouldn't even be genders! But in the meantime *looks down to see that somebody has pinned a "GENDER SHERIFF" star on my vest*

gently caress!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Its the "identity" part of their gender identity that isn't valid. The traditional genders are rammed down our throats by culture and society until they are internalized as an essential parts of our personalities. Personal genders are invented by their.. adherents(?) as a form of self-expression.

That's why you can ignore personal gender pronounces in a way that you can't ignore traditional pronouns.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The entitling one group to extra respect, based on how they were born, over another. That sounds like someone is being granted privilege.
No - everyone else has the privilege of not being persecuted and shamed over their sex/gender. What you do by not deliberately misgendering someone is trying to offer a really tiny slice of the privilege everyone else already has.

The Kingfish posted:

"they/their"
I think that's maybe kind of rude, but I personally don't think it's really bad. Morphology is really hard and people are loving poo poo at learning it quickly, so if somebody is putting a non-significant effort into not misgendering you hard, that to me seems not wrong, even if they're not going with the particular form you've personally chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

Its the "identity" part of their gender identity that isn't valid. The traditional genders are rammed down our throats by culture and society until they are internalized as an essential parts of our personalities. Personal genders are invented by their.. adherents(?) as a form of self-expression.

So, imposed genders are valid, so long as the imposed upon does no self-defining? In fact, does this principle extend generally?

• Locked thread