Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I wanted to thank everyone for the detailed advice on fixing my Witch. I ended up spending an hour mucking around with the passive tree and got it to a point where it resembles a legit build, at least.

I had a question about Vaal skills--on my Shadow, the build has Reave and Vaal Reave. I tried using Vaal Reave, but since they have to charge up each time, I don't really understand how/when you're supposed to use them. The Vaal Summon Skeleton I get, it's sort of an "oh poo poo" button, but something like Vaal Reave is just a normal attack--I spam the regular Reave a million times, which is impossible with the Vaal version. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wanted to thank everyone for the detailed advice on fixing my Witch. I ended up spending an hour mucking around with the passive tree and got it to a point where it resembles a legit build, at least.

I had a question about Vaal skills--on my Shadow, the build has Reave and Vaal Reave. I tried using Vaal Reave, but since they have to charge up each time, I don't really understand how/when you're supposed to use them. The Vaal Summon Skeleton I get, it's sort of an "oh poo poo" button, but something like Vaal Reave is just a normal attack--I spam the regular Reave a million times, which is impossible with the Vaal version. What am I missing?

Vaal reave lets you get up to 8 stacks of added area instead of 4, and once you have them you can maintain those 8 stacks with normal reave.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Moddington posted:

Vaal reave lets you get up to 8 stacks of added area instead of 4, and once you have them you can maintain those 8 stacks with normal reave.

Interesting--I'm sort of just starting to understand the importance of getting Frenzy Charges and keeping them up with Blood Rage, seems like Vaal Reave is sort of similar.

Is there a handy chart of regular skill gem vs Vaal version and the differences between them?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tai posted:

Anyone have a link (or nice enough to host) an up to date item filter? The PoE wiki page is a year or so out of date.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Interesting--I'm sort of just starting to understand the importance of getting Frenzy Charges and keeping them up with Blood Rage, seems like Vaal Reave is sort of similar.

Is there a handy chart of regular skill gem vs Vaal version and the differences between them?

Well, the wiki has a list of them all (and there's not that many) but they're generally just a burst-ier version of the original skill, and many cost too many souls to be useful. There's a few standouts (vaal discipline is like a flask for energy shield, vaal reave scales your normal reave, vaal detonate dead triggers an unlimited chain reaction of corpse explosions, and vaal spark is/was a levelling favorite) but otherwise they're pretty clumsy to use effectively.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vaal Grace is a cool "I don't want to die" bonus dodge thing
Vaal Clarity is 8-10 seconds of no mana cost spells
Vaal Lightning Trap is the gold standard of EE triggers because it blankets the area in lightning damage

e: how to value a vaal skill = "would this make a good primary attack" if yes, it's a bad vaal skill.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Then you've got Vaal Haste which is just :kheldragar:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Thanks

So I haven't played for a year so might of missed something but is there a fix for this graphics stuttering? First area load (and town) is fine but once I finish an area and load up the next one, my character stutters about all over the shop. I almost thought it was server lag due to cast speed going insane once everything catches up but it's client side.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mortimer posted:

Vaal Grace is a cool "I don't want to die" bonus dodge thing
Vaal Clarity is 8-10 seconds of no mana cost spells
Vaal Lightning Trap is the gold standard of EE triggers because it blankets the area in lightning damage

e: how to value a vaal skill = "would this make a good primary attack" if yes, it's a bad vaal skill.

Important to note, none of the vaal skills are useful vs. Izaro in the Labyrinth because when you enter the area you have no charges.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Going to pick this game back up after being gone for 1.5+ years. What happened to the seasons/races? Those were tons of fun but the current calendar stops in Feb.

Also are there any newbie bundles like from Humblebundle, Alienware Arena, Raptr, etc? Is it worth grabbing some cash points to get items or something that could help me speed level a few toons up?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Syrinxx posted:

Going to pick this game back up after being gone for 1.5+ years. What happened to the seasons/races? Those were tons of fun but the current calendar stops in Feb.

Also are there any newbie bundles like from Humblebundle, Alienware Arena, Raptr, etc? Is it worth grabbing some cash points to get items or something that could help me speed level a few toons up?

the current season is probably the best one they've ever done.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Syrinxx posted:

Not sure what happened to races, I got super burned out on them 3-4 leagues ago and stopped paying attention to them.

You must not remember PoE much if you're asking about that. The only things that are in the realm of Pay2Win that you can buy are stash tabs. They've recently made it so premium stash tabs can be public to make trading easier and the currency stash tab.

There was a recent HumbleBundle that had 2 MTX items for the game though.

queeb posted:

the current season is probably the best one they've ever done.

Season != League

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just want to stress for any other new people that this is seriously the biggest quality of life improvement in the game next to premium/currency tabs. i didnt want to use it at first because i was brand new and figured it would be hiding basic crap i would want but its really the opposite. it makes the filtering tighter as you get higher in level so in the early zones it shows everything and in the higher zones it basically tells you what is worth picking up which is super helpful.

me last night: "why do sorcerer boots have a noise when they drop?"
"because they are the one base worth chancing for skyballs"
*proceed to chance a few pairs and end up with a rare that will apparently sell for a few ex at least*

without the filter i would have gone along in my blissful, poor ignorance. i probably owe 200 chromes to the highlighting on those turn-in items alone.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Syrinxx posted:

you speed level and get cheap items by joining the guild and using the guild stash, especially if you use two handed weapons

that reminds me, why are there so many good two-handed weapons in the gstash?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Vaal skills to care about:

Vaal Molten Shell: somewhat popular/extremely powerful build-around-me skill with Scold's Bridle, 20% quality ones are very valuable.
Vaal Grace/Haste/Discipline/Lightning Trap: popular Vaal skills that most people use 1 of in lieu of any other important Vaal skills.
Vaal Reave: staple for Reave builds to get a massive AoE boost.
Vaal Clarity: used in a few builds to get permanent free skill usage.
Vaal Burning Arrow/Lightning Strike/Summon Skeletons/Storm Call: reasonably useful for boss killing if your build makes good use of it/used in several builds to help out single target but aren't actually important.
Vaal Cyclone: it's really fun.

HM: Vaal Spark: Was a very popular build, was completely dumped on by GGG "in nearly every possible way," is now total trash.

All other Vaal skills are pretty much trash.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Anyone in here have Elreon 8 and can do a multimod for me? Or, is there a good way to not get my items/ex stolen if I find a pubbie to do it for me?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

you speed level and get cheap items by joining the guild and using the guild stash, especially if you use two handed weapons

that reminds me, why are there so many good two-handed weapons in the gstash?

Because everyone and their mother is doing Earthquake builds.

Also the guild is full for another week.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

HM: Vaal Spark: Was a very popular build, was completely dumped on by GGG "in nearly every possible way," is now total trash.

Vaal Spark is actually still pretty strong due to all the buffs to Spark itself on top of Ascendancy classes, especially with the Voltaxic Spark builds. You can see some heavy use of it here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om7tzZ8xSZs in Ziziran's Voltaxic Spark guide.

The nerfs did bring it down in value heavily though, especially since there's a lot of people playing Spark so way more Spark gems being vaaled.

Rashomon posted:

Anyone in here have Elreon 8 and can do a multimod for me? Or, is there a good way to not get my items/ex stolen if I find a pubbie to do it for me?

I am still a couple days away from Elreon 8, stopped doing rotations once I hit 7. But your best bet is to find someone on the forums with a thread that has a ton of vouches, there's plenty of people who do it for very cheap that are trustworthy.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

both of these statements are horribly wrong

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Rashomon posted:

No matter who does it for you, ask for collateral. Any reputable person will do it without a problem, if they don't want to they're likely gonna scam you and run off with the item.

And make sure the collateral is equal to the value of the finished item, like if you're making a gg harb bow don't ask for the value of it without the multimods.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vaal Righteous Fire is goddamn hilarious with the right build.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Not even in the same ballpark as true.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Vaal skills to care about :

Vaal Molten Shell: somewhat popular/extremely powerful build-around-me skill with Scold's Bridle, 20% quality ones are very valuable.
Vaal Grace/Haste/Discipline/Lightning Trap: popular Vaal skills that most people use 1 of in lieu of any other important Vaal skills.
Vaal Reave: staple for Reave builds to get a massive AoE boost.
Vaal Clarity: used in a few builds to get permanent free skill usage.
Vaal Burning Arrow/Lightning Strike/Summon Skeletons/Storm Call: reasonably useful for boss killing if your build makes good use of it/used in several builds to help out single target but aren't actually important.
Vaal Cyclone: it's really fun.

Ummm my darling vaal detonate dead would like a word with you

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Vaal Double/Lightning Strike are amazing. Use them.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
vaal spark was dumpstered, but it was affectionately placed into the dumpster on park ave, where the surf and turf makes your $38 filet look like dog food

panda clue fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 29, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, maps, my stash is filling up with them.

Which maps are worth running for divination cards? crypt and residence I know, any others?

Which maps aren't worth running at all and I should just upgrade, dark forest > gorges?

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, maps, my stash is filling up with them.

Which maps are worth running for divination cards? crypt and residence I know, any others?

Which maps aren't worth running at all and I should just upgrade, dark forest > gorges?

I turn almost everything t6 or less into chisels.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Looking for a guild invite (IRC Name Wicaeed) on Perandus Leage (NonHC).

In game name is asdfasdfasdffffff

I was being unimaginative okay :mad:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Guild is full, purge coming on the 2nd.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

whypick1 posted:

Guild is full, purge coming on the 2nd.

you managed to get skyblazer to agree to log in??

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I think he really enjoys purging.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Skyblazer is the act v boss. You fight him like those old typing games.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

panda clue posted:

you managed to get skyblazer to agree to log in??

He logs in?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If I have a couple low 20s dudes is it worth it to reroll them in the current Pernadus league or just make my way to max level in standard?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Syrinxx posted:

If I have a couple low 20s dudes is it worth it to reroll them in the current Pernadus league or just make my way to max level in standard?

I would say reroll in Perandus. You can get back to level 20 in very little time (about an hour I think?), and you'll get to enjoy the Cadiro bro deals.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Protip: Always take all your coins into single portal zana missions. I swear the game is designed to troll you on those. I did one yesterday and took 2k coins in, and cadiro offers me a kaom's heart for 4k coins. about 2.5 ex pure profit lost there because I was a wuss.

e: Also re: earlier this page vaal lightning trap is hilariously good. It's guaranteed free shock on anything in the game with up to three charges stored.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 29, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

the best part of this league was him logging in on the third day, bitching about having to rename the stash tabs every league, and then literally emailing support on the spot to ask them to develop a feature for the tabs to auto-name themselves every reset. you know, so he wouldn't ever have to log in.

and then he logged back off.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

panda clue posted:

you know, so he wouldn't ever have to log in.

Nah, he needs to email support again to get an auto purge feature too.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Broletariat posted:

Nah, he needs to email support again to get an auto purge feature too.

the fact that you still cant make it so officers can remove people is honestly kinda gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Couldn't he just make someone else the GM?

• Locked thread