Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't trouble myself over such things. after all, hakuna nakama means no worries

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Viz spelt it as Rogue Town in the official translations; they also went with 'poneglyff' and 'Kami Eneru', so put as much stock in that as you will.

gently caress you it's not April Fools day yet :psypop:

between this and Zolo I'm hugely thankful to get a good translation in my native language

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Viz spelt it as Rogue Town in the official translations; they also went with 'poneglyff' and 'Kami Eneru', so put as much stock in that as you will.

I always found it weird that dubs usually keep God as Kami in translation.

It made the revelation that Goku was beiing trained by God Kami in Dragonball a lot less shocking and a lot more confusing as a kid. Maybe dub companies want to avoid controversy with God references in America?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I always found it weird that dubs usually keep God as Kami in translation.

It made the revelation that Goku was beiing trained by God Kami in Dragonball a lot less shocking and a lot more confusing as a kid. Maybe dub companies want to avoid controversy with God references in America?

loving white people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't trouble myself over such things. after all, hakuna nakama means no worries

Well, Usopp did eat bugs for his training, right? :v:

(Or trained with one, at least. Heracles was a cool dude.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Star Platinum posted:

gently caress you it's not April Fools day yet :psypop:

between this and Zolo I'm hugely thankful to get a good translation in my native language

Not sure about the Kami part, but Enel is a not even remotely subtle reference to an electric company, so it's not the worse thing ever that they changed it. I think even the unedited Funimation dub uses Eneru, probably for the same reason.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Eneru is the officially used translation, yeah. It's what they use in the console games and the phone game.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Some interesting details from the Shonen Jump Weekly issue that didn't have One Piece last week:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-03-28/one-piece-manga-enters-vs-four-emperors-arc/.100374

quote:

This year's 17th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine revealed on Monday that Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga will start its "VS. Four Emperors Arc" in this year's 18th issue, which will ship on April 4. The 17th issue teased, "The curtain will open on a new legend, don't miss it!!" The preview image for next week's issue (pictured at right) also teases, "Facing toward Sanji's rescue, Luffy's group is...!!" One Piece did not appear in the 17th issue of the magazine on Monday.

The 17th issue also revealed that 18th issue will also feature One Piece on the cover and the new chapter will have an opening color page. Additionally, the combined 21st and 22nd issue of the magazine will include another color opening page.

So, apparently something big will drop next issue along with a color cover. Fingers crossed!

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
that name for the arc alone gets me hype beyond belief

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

drjuggalo posted:

Same :getin:

These next few years are going to be one wild ride.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
At the risk of sounding like a whiny neanderthal, has some enterprising soul out there made an extension or script that makes Viz's browser-based reader, y'know... good?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

drjuggalo posted:

:yeah:

We're in the Big Leagues, now!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just polished off the next omnibus, and I forgot that Fishman Island was to be their next destination after Water Seven. It's crazy to think just how much happens (and how much time passes) between those two points.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So this is going to be Blackbeard killing off Dragon and Worst Generation coalition and Kaido killing Shanks ok

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Next issue Sanji's best man is revealed

it's GIN!!!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Next issue Sanji's best man is revealed

it's GIN!!!!

thats who he's marrying actually

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kild posted:

thats who he's marrying actually

With Ivankov being a character, it's easily to explain so many plot points with "and then they swapped genders!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Here's an edit someone made of the King Kong Gun scene in the anime to be closer to the manga version/more concise:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUtmy_a6RTw

bondster
May 6, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So, apparently something big will drop next issue along with a color cover. Fingers crossed!

Extremely wishful thinking, but I hope that its announced that the anime is taking a break after Dressrosa so they can start doing actual seasons that are more focused and higher quality.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The big announcement will be moving to two episodes a week.

They will each cover one quarter of a chapter.

Toei!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

The big announcement will be moving to two episodes a week.

They will each cover one quarter of a chapter.

Toei!

Glad to hear that the One Piece anime is finally picking up the pace.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its probably just one piece gold release date

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

bondster posted:

Extremely wishful thinking, but I hope that its announced that the anime is taking a break after Dressrosa so they can start doing actual seasons that are more focused and higher quality.

Toei announces a new mega filler arc where, after setting sail from Dressrosa, the Barto Club and the Strawhats fall into a transdimensional whirlpool and they have to escape from Davy Jones' locker in a series of wild and wacky escapades.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

anime was right posted:

i hope we get another really small arc thats fun and silly. possibly involving the curlyhats, but is only about 10 chapters, just to kind of cool off from the last arc. similar to how we had davyback and duval

oh yeah i accidentally called this arc haha cool

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Toei announces a new mega filler arc where, after setting sail from Dressrosa, the Barto Club and the Strawhats fall into a transdimensional whirlpool and they have to escape from Davy Jones' locker in a series of wild and wacky escapades.

It's a true Davy Back Fight wherein Luffy and Bart face off against Davy Jones for the souls of their crews in dangerous games like Scrabble and Ultimate Frisbee.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

oh yeah i accidentally called this arc haha cool

Anime was right was right! :haw:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Shoren posted:

It's a true Davy Back Fight wherein Luffy and Bart face off against Davy Jones for the souls of their crews in dangerous games like Scrabble and Ultimate Frisbee.

This would be a welcome change from how it's been lately.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DizzyBum posted:

This would be a welcome change from how it's been lately.

It's also pretty plausible. The New World doesn't operate according to conventional logic or laws of space/gravity/weather/etc. See Capone Bege's experience for example. I could see the Barto Club blundering into a wormhole because grandma couldn't bail them out with her wisdom.

It'd be fun to see Brooke use his soul shifting powers to cheat Davy Jones' soul-stealing efforts as per the other poster's suggestion. Basically anything would be more enjoyable and creative than stretching out canon with filler which is getting super stale.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im still miffed as to why they cant do part of a cover story per episode as a b plot and get two episodes out of one chapter

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Because the cover arcs flopped. Apparently hours and hours of reaction shots isn't testing as poorly, chalk it up to age demographics.

Remember that as far as testing/Nielsen/whatever Japan uses is concerned, Americans illegally downloading the anime don't exist.

Just kind of talking out my rear end here.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The cover arcs were litteraly two episodes from like 2004, just try again.

The main problem was that Buggy's cover arc was just an extended looney toons cartoon without anyone experienced in that kind of animation so it's just normal one piece anime paced.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I haven't watched the One Piece anime, but I have seen my fair share of filler, and if you can't make Ace screwing around undercover as a marine or Enel exploring the moon interesting then you have no business animating One Piece because the bar for filler is pretty drat low. I think Oda set more than enough groundwork with each cover arc to make at least a few episodes worth per arc that isn't endless reaction shots.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGm-NAOQYw

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
holy poo poo the anime is bad. i knew y'all weren't kidding but goddamn its really bad

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Oh Japan. I'm surprised she's wearing that mucv

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Here's an edit someone made of the King Kong Gun scene in the anime to be closer to the manga version/more concise:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUtmy_a6RTw

Also quoting this because it's actually good. Everyone should watch this instead of the full episode.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

DizzyBum posted:

Also quoting this because it's actually good. Everyone should watch this instead of the full episode.

Best part is guy in the comments complaining that this edit removes all the emotional impact that the 15 minutes of grunting, shouting, and buildings collapsing gives the scene.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

quote:

Vs. Four Emperors Arc

It's so weird to think we're approaching One Piece endgame.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

It's so weird to think we're approaching One Piece endgame.

10 more years is a long approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Best part is guy in the comments complaining that this edit removes all the emotional impact that the 15 minutes of grunting, shouting, and buildings collapsing gives the scene.

Nah, the best part is the intermission card.