Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

Its the "identity" part of their gender identity that isn't valid. The traditional genders are rammed down our throats by culture and society until they are internalized as an essential parts of our personalities. Personal genders are invented by their.. adherents(?) as a form of self-expression.

That's why you can ignore personal gender pronounces in a way that you can't ignore traditional pronouns.

How does this criticism not apply to the concept of being transgender itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cingulate posted:

I think that's maybe kind of rude, but I personally don't think it's really bad. Morphology is really hard and people are loving poo poo at learning it quickly, so if somebody is putting a non-significant effort into not misgendering you hard, that to me seems not wrong, even if they're not going with the particular form you've personally chosen.

Its only rude because xe people are looking to feel special.

You could use neutral "they" all day long in every conversation you have and nobody would even notice. Unless, that is, they were looking to be upset about it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

You could use neutral "they" all day long in every conversation you have and nobody would even notice. Unless, that is, they were looking to be upset about it.

Actually, I don't think this is credible, judging by the nonbinary people I know.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

Let's say I am just a naturally skeptical person. (I am.) I am skeptical about your explanation for the personal motivation of these people's actions. What evidence do you have that their motivation is truly wanting to feel "special", whatever that means?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

People with "xe" as their pronoun are looking to feel normal.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

People with "xe" as their pronoun are looking to feel normal.

Definitely not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

Definitely not.

It's no different than a trans man wanting to use "he" as their pronoun of choice.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

jivjov posted:

It's no different than a trans man wanting to use "he" as their pronoun of choice.

Its entirely different.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

Its entirely different.

Why?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

Its entirely different.

No. It really isn't.

You want to make it different, because you don't like it. But it is no different.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Its different because transmen adopt he/his in order to better perform their new gender in a society that has preconceived notions about sex and gender.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kingfish:

Cingulate posted:

Let's say I am just a naturally skeptical person. (I am.) I am skeptical about your explanation for the personal motivation of these people's actions. What evidence do you have that their motivation is truly wanting to feel "special", whatever that means?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

Its different because transmen adopt he/his in order to better perform their new gender in a society that has preconceived notions about sex and gender.

This doesn't explain anything because this applies to someone adopting Spivak pronouns just as well- they are doing it in order to better perform their new gender in a society that has preconceived notions about sex and gender.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

So choosing to use a more comfortable pronoun is undesirable solely because society says so? Did you know that talk of, say, abolishing segregation, was at one point undesirable? Should we have kept "No Coloreds" signs around because to remove them would make white society uncomfortable?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cingulate posted:

My evidence is that they chose to use a pronoun they made up for themselves instead of the non-binary pronoun we already have.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you apply that same skepticism to trans people themselves, you end up having top reject pure self identification as valid - you don't need a water right case, you just need a reasonable doubt, which that frankly is.

All of these problems can be avoided by my perspective on this topic, which is that natural performance is gender, meaning your born sex is irrelevant, but your presentation is absolutely critical.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

If you apply that same skepticism to trans people themselves, you end up having top reject pure self identification as valid - you don't need a water right case, you just need a reasonable doubt, which that frankly is.

All of these problems can be avoided by my perspective on this topic, which is that natural performance is gender, meaning your born sex is irrelevant, but your presentation is absolutely critical.

How do you determine "natural performance"?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

My evidence is that they chose to use a pronoun they made up for themselves instead of the non-binary pronoun we already have.
Okay, that's not specific evidence. It doesn't match my epistemic standards - it doesn't satisfy my skepticism. Is that truly what you build your belief on in this situation? Cause it seems to me very weak evidence to build anything on.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

How do you determine "natural performance"?
Your behaviors that you default into, when you no one is looking ie- you're not being deceptive. Socially however, the onus is on you to present correctly, because what you communicate is more than what you say, but also how you look.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

This doesn't explain anything because this applies to someone adopting Spivak pronouns just as well- they are doing it in order to better perform their new gender in a society that has preconceived notions about sex and gender.

No it doesn't apply to personal pronouns because non-binary people aren't performing gender the same way that trans and cis people are.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cingulate posted:

Okay, that's not specific evidence. It doesn't match my epistemic standards - it doesn't satisfy my skepticism. Is that truly what you build your belief on in this situation? Cause it seems to me very weak evidence to build anything on.

I honestly wish you good luck finding strong evidence for any of this non-binary stuff. I can assure you that you won't find any for xe people one way or another.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Your behaviors that you default into, when you no one is looking ie- you're not being deceptive. Socially however, the onus is on you to present correctly, because what you communicate is more than what you say, but also how you look.

But, there's no way for anyone to determine how you behave when no one is looking, because you have to look and destroy the status of being alone in order to determine what natural performance is. You are back to it being a personal form of identity.

Furthermore, this assumes society is unchangeable and that is closer to being outright wrong than questionable.

The Kingfish posted:

No it doesn't apply to personal pronouns because non-binary people aren't performing gender the same way that trans and cis people are.

Why aren't they?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Kingfish posted:

Non-binary is a form of being transgender. You literally just said "transgender people aren't performing gender the same way trans[...]people are"

And what difference does it make if a segment of the trans population prefers non "standard" pronouns? How in any way, shape, or form does it make their gender less valid than anyone else's? "Because it's different" doesn't count.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

rudatron posted:

please explain in words what the default behavior is for women and the default behavior is for men because I still don't understand what you're talking about, at all.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
like is the natural behavior for women having long hair and short haired women are just being deceptive? are women just naturally drawn to wearing skirts instead of pants? do you not understand how idiotic and misogynist that sounds?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Human behavior is in part a function of the societies that they live in. It's impossible to conceive of a human being's behavior who does not live in some kind of society.

Anyway how do you observe something that only exists when it's being unobserved? I remember a funny monster description I ran into once with friends in D&D: the monster is invisible until seen. What?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

Human behavior is in part a function of the societies that they live in. It's impossible to conceive of a human being's behavior who does not live in some kind of society.
That's a reasonable definition of some form of insanity.
Sure, the full-blown psychotic or sociopath may be physically interacting with society, but they're not living in it.

The Kingfish posted:

I honestly wish you good luck finding strong evidence for any of this non-binary stuff. I can assure you that you won't find any for xe people one way or another.
I'm not saying I have good evidence either way. You're actually free to question my own evidence base for my own policies. But right now I'm asking about yours. How strong is your evidence you base your behavior on? How confident are you in it?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not at all, behaviors are verifiable in a way in which feelings are not. So for example, the usual ring of tests you are required to do before your legal sex change, are designed to weed out people who are not committed, or mistaken. Yet functionally all it is measuring is your behavior. Additionally, it is both conceivably measurable, if you're asking to use deception and spend resources, but also a standard which can be relaxed because of practical concerns, the trade off being reliability. No such equivalence exists for your phenomenological feelings.

I also make no assumption of society being unchangeable. The argument there is one of standards and individual responsibility, not one of how dynamic those standards are.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

rudatron posted:

Not at all, behaviors are verifiable in a way in which feelings are not. So for example, the usual ring of tests you are required to do before your legal sex change, are designed to weed out people who are not committed, or mistaken. Yet functionally all it is measuring is your behavior. Additionally, it is both conceivably measurable, if you're asking to use deception and spend resources, but also a standard which can be relaxed because of practical concerns, the trade off being reliability. No such equivalence exists for your phenomenological feelings.

I also make no assumption of society being unchangeable. The argument there is one of standards and individual responsibility, not one of how dynamic those standards are.

please answer my questions.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Those are not natural behaviors as you have outlined them, they are performed behaviors. So they are irrelevant to what you have suggested should be the standard, and you are unable to measure behaviors without observing them and making them unnatural. In order to ensure that the people you are surveilling are unaware of your surveillance, you actually do need to peek inside people's heads, meaning you cannot do it and cannot be assured that behaviors are truly natural without telepathy. That is, "natural behaviors" as you outline them are inherently phenomenological. You can say that all we need is a reasonable standard, but that also means that social behaviors are totally unnatural, which is a disturbing conclusion to come to. Basically, what this sounds like is you coming up with something that sounds good without thinking through how it would work at all.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have not made, nor believe, the claims you are attributing to me here. 'Natural' in the way I used or meant 'honest', not 'intrinsic'. I am anti-essentialist. Gender is not intrinsic, it is performative, subject to already existing social norms, which change with place and time.

Do not place these beliefs into a category they do not belong in, read them as they are, and place you preconceived notions aside.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

And you know this how?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

I have not made, nor believe, the claims you are attributing to me here. 'Natural' in the way I used or meant 'honest', not 'intrinsic'. I am anti-essentialist. Gender is not intrinsic, it is performative, subject to already existing social norms, which change with place and time.

Do not place these beliefs into a category they do not belong in, read them as they are, and place you preconceived notions aside.

This is smug and doesn't actually answer the question. If we don't know what "natural" behaviors are for women or men, the entire line of argumentation is moot because it's over something meaningless in the first place! So you do need to answer, at least tentatively, what a "natural" woman or man would behave like.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
If there is one thing people in this thread aren't very good at its answering each other's questions.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

This is smug and doesn't actually answer the question. If we don't know what "natural" behaviors are for women or men, the entire line of argumentation is moot because it's over something meaningless in the first place! So you do need to answer, at least tentatively, what a "natural" woman or man would behave like.
Natural behavior for women is to lay eggs. Natural behavior for men is to sing football chants. It's biology. Trust me, I'm a psychologist.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

rudatron posted:

okay so you don't have any answers, cool.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
This thread is a never-ending cycle of cis people making statements about trans people, trans people explaining to the cis people why they're wrong and the cis people ignoring them and then saying the same thing they said before.

:siren: No one uses neo-pronouns to "feel special",:siren: at least not in the way goons tend to mean it (there's a lt to unpack there, but let's leave that for another time). They use them because those pronouns feel right for those individual people.

It's not a feeling that can be quantified but its there and it's valid.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

That's a reasonable definition of some form of insanity.
Sure, the full-blown psychotic or sociopath may be physically interacting with society, but they're not living in it.

I'm not saying I have good evidence either way. You're actually free to question my own evidence base for my own policies. But right now I'm asking about yours. How strong is your evidence you base your behavior on? How confident are you in it?

I guess that would depend on the reasons for why they are not "living in" society. Those reasons could be related to the societies themselves, or they could be "natural" or physical reasons (brain tumor?).

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Those are not natural behaviors as you have outlined them, they are performed behaviors. So they are irrelevant to what you have suggested should be the standard, and you are unable to measure behaviors without observing them and making them unnatural. In order to ensure that the people you are surveilling are unaware of your surveillance, you actually do need to peek inside people's heads, meaning you cannot do it and cannot be assured that behaviors are truly natural without telepathy. That is, "natural behaviors" as you outline them are inherently phenomenological. You can say that all we need is a reasonable standard, but that also means that social behaviors are totally unnatural, which is a disturbing conclusion to come to. Basically, what this sounds like is you coming up with something that sounds good without thinking through how it would work at all.
Social behaviors are unnatural. Nor is this standard one based on the mere fact of observation, but on the possibility of deception - it isn't necessary to look inside their mind, so long as you are aware of what they have seen and heard (technically possible), you can rule out deception on any logical ground - there is no cue for insanity, but every Singh Lee philosophy had problems with that, including your own standard of self declaration - ergo, mine is better than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SwimmingSpider posted:

This thread is a never-ending cycle of cis people making statements about trans people, trans people explaining to the cis people why they're wrong and the cis people ignoring them and then saying the same thing they said before.

:siren: No one uses neo-pronouns to "feel special",:siren: at least not in the way goons tend to mean it (there's a lt to unpack there, but let's leave that for another time). They use them because those pronouns feel right for those individual people.

It's not a feeling that can be quantified but its there and it's valid.
Pretty sure all of this is enormous simplifications.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I guess that would depend on the reasons for why they are not "living in" society. Those reasons could be related to the societies themselves, or they could be "natural" or physical reasons (brain tumor?).
Nobody knows. The biological bases of social and anti-social behavior are mostly not understood.

• Locked thread