Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you might say he put the E in ELP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I've been watching a ton of ELP youtube videos all week. I had no idea there were so many professionally shot videos of their performances out there. Even some of The Nice. I've seen some of them before in my youth (the 1974 welcome back my friends concert and the 1970 Pictures at an Exhibition Concert), but the videos I saw were just hour long snippets of those concerts. Youtube has sections of those concerts I've never seen before plus entire concerts that I never knew existed, shot professionally, like the band had released it at some point, yet I don't ever remember seeing it at my local record store back in the day when record stores existed. Emerson was so much fun to watch live. Even in recent years with his own band (which in many ways played the songs better than ELP). He looked like a Mad Scientist with that huge Moog.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Even though I am a keyboardist, I listened to ELP much less often than the other major prog bands of the early 70's (and I can't stand anything they did after the early 70's) - I always felt their music was sort of like a cake made entirely out of frosting, good stuff in small doses but way over-indulgent. and when Keith Emerson died I put on Tarkus of course but I just left it at that, didn't do the whole career retrospective thing or even listen to any other ELP albums.

And yet his death, or maybe the reason for it, has affected me more than I thought, ever since he died I keep getting his riffs in my head - sometimes while I'm writing or improvising or sometimes when I'm not doing anything musical at all. Or maybe I've always been unintentionally ripping him off and his death is just making me aware that he'd influenced me far more than I thought

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Even though I am a keyboardist, I listened to ELP much less often than the other major prog bands of the early 70's (and I can't stand anything they did after the early 70's) - I always felt their music was sort of like a cake made entirely out of frosting, good stuff in small doses but way over-indulgent. and when Keith Emerson died I put on Tarkus of course but I just left it at that, didn't do the whole career retrospective thing or even listen to any other ELP albums.

And yet his death, or maybe the reason for it, has affected me more than I thought, ever since he died I keep getting his riffs in my head - sometimes while I'm writing or improvising or sometimes when I'm not doing anything musical at all. Or maybe I've always been unintentionally ripping him off and his death is just making me aware that he'd influenced me far more than I thought

Maybe his ghost is mad that you didn't like his band enough and is haunting your brain by playing sick keyboard riffs

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

ELP got a lot of stick for having such grand tours (40 tons of gear on the 1973 tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ryce1O5IA ), though I am not sure they were much extravagant than Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis. ELP definitely went over the top but on the other hand you could say that they were popular and they had the money and they were at least putting that money back into the shows. For me the Michael Jackson History tour is more grotesque because MJ had this martyr complex and he was actively generating a cult of personality while ELP was at least attempting to do something musically unusual.

Or is that just me rationalising my preference for ELP over MJ?

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

ELP got a lot of stick for having such grand tours (40 tons of gear on the 1973 tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ryce1O5IA ), though I am not sure they were much extravagant than Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis. ELP definitely went over the top but on the other hand you could say that they were popular and they had the money and they were at least putting that money back into the shows. For me the Michael Jackson History tour is more grotesque because MJ had this martyr complex and he was actively generating a cult of personality while ELP was at least attempting to do something musically unusual.

I don't know much about MJ other than what I've picked up through cultural osmosis, but I've always felt that behind all the bombast (a word I've seen a lot in connection with those guys), ELP were sort of winking at us. Yeah, we know we're over the top, but why do this if we can't have fun with it?

I would never claim to know what was deep down in their heart of hearts, but I'd insist the whole thing works a lot better if you take it that way. I mean, there are few things better than three guys in a local dive bar playing the blues with gear they were able to pack up in their cars, but there are also few things better than three guys playing prog with forty tons of gear that require three semi trucks to haul around—if it's presented right.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

though I am not sure they were much extravagant than Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis.
I doubt Pink Floyd and Genesis, but I imagine that Rick Wakeman could have had an assortment of keyboards as extravagant as Emerson's. Although Pink Floyd could probably reach something like that if you add the set props to the total? And then there is also Palmer's (in)famous stainless steel drum set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I mean, there are few things better than three guys in a local dive bar playing the blues with gear they were able to pack up in their cars

I can think of a lot of better things than that.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

X_Toad posted:

Palmer's (in)famous stainless steel drum set.

Ah yes... the drums:

"In 1973, Palmer commissioned British Steel to design a custom stainless steel drum kit using one-quarter-inch thick shells, the only off-the-shelf equipment were the hoops manufactured by Gretsch. He also had a jeweller engrave the shells with various animals. The kit, along with other percussion instruments and a rotating platform, had a total weight of approximately 2.5 tons and many of the stages on tour had to be reinforced, with some venues cancelling shows because of it. Also, the kit was electronically designed to be "synthesized" to sound like electronic drums."

And touring with an orchestra cost them $3m... I suppose MJ's tours made money at least.

E: Cozy Powell (drummer with ELP for a short time in the 1980s) died in a car crash. I never read the details until now:

"Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car accident while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having troubles with her husband. Upset, she phoned him on 5 April 1998 and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles away. As he was driving to her house she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and then she heard him say "Oh poo poo!" followed by a loud bang."

That's a phonecall that will stay with you for a while. :stare:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 22, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

For me the Michael Jackson History tour is more grotesque because MJ had this martyr complex and he was actively generating a cult of personality while ELP was at least attempting to do something musically unusual.

Kind of a strange comparison given they work in entirely different genres. I mean yes much of ELP's music was more unusual than Michael Jackson's music... but honestly, I think most of MJ's music was actually better. Obviously it's more conventional, but it's pop music.

as for their touring setup, I don't think the other prog bands were as extravagant instrument-wise but I do remember Yes had some truly ridiculous (and awesome) sets based on Roger Dean's artwork

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

E: Cozy Powell (drummer with ELP for a short time in the 1980s) died in a car crash. I never read the details until now:

"Powell died on 5 April 1998 following a car accident while driving his Saab 9000 at 104 mph (167 km/h) in bad weather on the M4 motorway near Bristol. He had been dating a married woman who was having troubles with her husband. Upset, she phoned him on 5 April 1998 and asked him to come quickly to her house which was approximately 35 miles away. As he was driving to her house she phoned him again and asked "Where are you?" He informed her he was on his way and then she heard him say "Oh poo poo!" followed by a loud bang."

That's a phonecall that will stay with you for a while. :stare:
Weird to think of Cozy Powell being a working musician with some pretty big bands for the better part of 3 decades and driving around the same kind of car that I could have been driving in the late 90's.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigFactory posted:

Weird to think of Cozy Powell being a working musician with some pretty big bands for the better part of 3 decades and driving around the same kind of car that I could have been driving in the late 90's.

Most rock musicians are just regular schmos, even the ones who played with some pretty big bands. There's a very select few who got rich off of it, and even most of them had blown most of their money by the time the gravy train stopped coming around. Nowadays it's almost impossible to make a decent living as a rock musician unless you play in a decent cover band or you've already made a name for yourself from back in the day.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 25, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
No, I get it. It's cozy Powell, not Mick Jagger. Still, the dude was in Whitesnake back when there WAS a lot of money being tossed around. Seeing that glimpse into his life is weird. Be like learning that Erik Singer drives a Ford Focus or something.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

or maybe the dude simply spent his money on other things or kept it in savings or investments or whatever and preferred to drive a sensible and economic car

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If only he drove it sensibly, he might still be hitting the skins.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cozy Powell is a big reason why I like Rainbow Rising so much

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He was good on those lovely 80s black sabbath records too, although it's not hard to outshine the most phoned in riffs ever recorded.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Is this the thread I go to to say that I think the best Porcupine Tree album is Recordings? tia

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

Is this the thread I go to to say that I think the best Porcupine Tree album is Recordings? tia

Similarly, golden retrievers produce the best dog turds.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

yes, friend, share your thoughts on recordings. 'tis a good album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

A human heart posted:

Similarly, golden retrievers produce the best dog turds.
Which dog produces your posting?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have been listening to prog rock in various amounts for over 20 years and I still have not heard a single Porcupine Tree song that I like. same for Dream Theater

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I liked Dream Theater's cover of Funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding when I was a teenager. Don't know if that still holds up or not, but I probably wouldn't have gotten into Elton John back then without that, and those Elton John records through Yellow Brick Road or Caribou are practically perfect. But in 1995 or whenever, Elton John was firmly in Lion King/Goodbye England's Rose schmaltz territory, and seeing some hard rocking dudes rock out to this proggy Elton John song was pretty cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I had already gotten into Elton John due to his cover of Pinball Wizard (I was crazy about that song as a kid) so thankfully I didn't need Dream Theater to teach me that he's more than a Disney ballad man

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dream Theater is not a good band.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I used to really like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree when I was 14

Porcupine Tree are still good, DT is borderline unlistenable

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I have been listening to prog rock in various amounts for over 20 years and I still have not heard a single Porcupine Tree song that I like. same for Dream Theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzpuHjeeaM

deadwing posted:

Porcupine Tree are still good, DT is borderline unlistenable

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like most Dream Theater but recently they slid into boring and then fell off a cliff with the Astonishing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

better than most things I've heard by them but those vocals are too terrible to put up with

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Porcupine Tree is okay but sometimes they just come across as boring Radiohead to me.

I was a Dream Theater fan in high school and it's one of the only bands I wince about being into.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I only ever really listened to three albums by them (Images and Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory) more than a handful of times and between the three of those I'm only really embarrassed about James LaBrie's vocals

Porcupine Tree walks the line between brilliant and cringeworthy on every song of every album, and I'm really happy Steven Wilson's doing a solo thing now with much less embarrassment attached

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
as someone who listens to way more prog metal than could possibly be considered healthy, dream theater aren't very good and a lot of bands (agora, suspyre, thought chamber, thessera, etc.) do DT-influenced prog way better. their first 3 albums are fairly decent at points though - awake being the most consistent, i&w only has 2 strong tracks (metropolis and glass moon) and most of the rest are really lovely radio rock ballad type stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I love classic prog like Kind Crimson, Genesis, and Gentle Giant.. and I love some metal or at least metal-ish bands like Isis, Russian Circles, Pelican, Kowloon Walled City, etc. as well as classic stuff like the first several Slayer albums, Judas Priest, etc.... but just about every act I've heard regularly described as "prog metal" sounds really awful to me. Opeth might be the one exception as there are some really great passages in some of their songs

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I had already gotten into Elton John due to his cover of Pinball Wizard (I was crazy about that song as a kid) so thankfully I didn't need Dream Theater to teach me that he's more than a Disney ballad man

Haha, Elton John was a favorite of mine when I was a kid too. My older sister got Goodbye Yellow Brick Road when I was 12 and when I first heard Funeral For a Friend I flipped out. I listened to that album over and over to the point where she started to hate it. Eventually it just became my album. Another kick rear end song on that album, Grey Seal. The funny thing is the way I got into Genesis had a similar story. She bought We Can't Dance when it first came out I think because she liked No Son of Mine. I thought it was poo poo, honestly. I never really cared for Genesis up to that point. I always associated them with that Phil Collins band with the weird videos. But then she bought Three Sides Live. The second disc blew me away. I had to hear the album with Fountain of Salmacis. It wasn't long before checked out Nursery Cryme and soon I got all their albums and listened to them to death. She soon grew to hate Genesis and it became my favorite band in my teenage years.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yep I also had that first impression of Genesis as some lame band full of ugly middle aged people who made bad pop music.

When I was like 15 I discovered King Crimson through my dad's record collection, I started digging around more and learning about progressive rock and it completely blew my mind when I found out that not only had Genesis once been a prog rock band, but that Peter Gabriel had once been their singer, and that Phil Collins was actually a great drummer, etc.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

That reminds me. Have you guys ever seen these guys prog rock reviews?
https://youtu.be/1i8WgfnLbr8

I like their reviews and it seems like they know their stuff (especially the guy on the left, the guy on the right just seems to be a rock fan, not necessarily a prog rock fan). But every once in awhile they surprise me by how much they don't know. Like with this one. It's hard to believe they never heard the classic 7 Moody Blues albums before. It's one thing if they were teenage kids just discovering their Dad's record collection, but these are middle aged Brit's who've been listening to prog for decades now. In their Genesis reviews the guy on the right had never heard the Gabriel era albums. I guess, to me, it's just strange to see prog afficianados older than me discovering these prog albums for the first time that I've had on rotation since I was a teenager. It probably shouldn't be though. They're not much older than me (in fact they may be younger than me, it's easy to forget how old I am) and there's albums that they've heard that I haven't.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 29, 2016

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Earwicker posted:

and I love some metal or at least metal-ish bands like ... Kowloon Walled City,

YES

Gianthogweed posted:

That reminds me. Have you guys ever seen these guys prog rock reviews?
https://youtu.be/1i8WgfnLbr8

I like their reviews and it seems like they know their stuff (especially the guy on the left, the guy on the right just seems to be a rock fan, not necessarily a prog rock fan). But every once in awhile they surprise me by how much they don't know. Like with this one. It's hard to believe they never heard the classic 7 Moody Blues albums before. It's one thing if they were teenage kids just discovering their Dad's record collection, but these are middle aged Brit's who've been listening to prog for decades now. In their Genesis reviews the guy on the right had never heard the Gabriel era albums. I guess, to me, it's just strange to see prog afficianados older than me discovering these prog albums for the first time that I've had on rotation since I was a teenager. It probably shouldn't be though. They're not much older than me (in fact they may be younger than me, it's easy to forget how old I am) and there's albums that they've heard that I haven't.

I actually think the format works really well, huge nerd with casual-to-moderate fan of bands, and usually comes at it with a fresh angle. They also have quite a sense of humor about themselves other than some other reviewers who I've gotten sick of.

That being said when the one guy does the King Crimson reviews where he stacks his CDs on top of each other, I have a heart attack.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Attitude Indicator posted:

yes, friend, share your thoughts on recordings. 'tis a good album.

I'm not sure what happened to them after in absentia (and gavin's drumming on the "up the downstair" remaster is unnecessary) but Recordings has always seemed like their most respectable bunch of songs. Probably because it feels slightly like an afterthought though it has some cohesion. It's easygoing. No screenplays about serial killers or car crashes or whatever.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There seem to be two main PT eras, the more psychedelic older stuff and the heavier, darker later period. In Absentia is the dividing line between the two. I like both, but I can see why not everyone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

There seem to be two main PT eras, the more psychedelic older stuff and the heavier, darker later period. In Absentia is the dividing line between the two. I like both, but I can see why not everyone else does.
I'd break that up into three, really. You've got the psych era which runs from their inception up through Signify, the pop/crossover prog period that includes Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia, and then the metal period of Deadwing/Fear of a Blank Planet/The Incident. (You might disagree with which bucket In Absentia falls into.)