Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

If it was Dillingham Air Base / Mokuleia Airstrip then visit it by going skydiving or get a ride in a glider. Also great windsurfing across the street and a hike right behind the control tower.

I've heard the reference "Mexicans of the Pacific"

Hard working and sexy? :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol yeah it's pretty hilarious

"Hey bruh slow down this ain't the mainland get off my island"

"...aren't you like Filipino and 10% Japanese?"

Defend Hawaii shirt with shades on backwards.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol yeah it's pretty hilarious

"Hey bruh slow down this ain't the mainland get off my island"

"...aren't you like Filipino and 10% Japanese?"

There's Hawaiian and there's local. Also, maybe you should slow down.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fun's over guys pack it up

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You definitely need to get some fresh mahu while You're there, Mr. Nice! can probably recommend some great spots

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So being within 1 year now of EAOS, I'm starting to take a serious look at transitioning back to a beard-havin, weed-smokin, life-lovin civilian but the unfortunate reality of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) is now staring me in the face.

Current plan is to go full-time GI bill student for 2 years to complete my BS in either electrical engineering, computer engineering, or both. I know the common GiP attitude is never not :frogout:, but with a wife and kid SELRES looks like it may a worthwhile thing to consider in the interim between finishing my degree and getting a health plan through an employer. Anyone know whether I'd be able to elect to only do 2 or 3 years of this as opposed to another full 4 year contract (I will have 5 in by EAOS), or any other pitfalls/benefits I should be aware of going forward with this plan?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2016

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

So being within 1 year now of EAOS, I'm starting to take a serious look at transitioning back to a beard-havin, weed-smokin, life-lovin civilian but the unfortunate reality of mandatory health insurance (thanks Obama) is now staring me in the face.

Current plan is to go full-time GI bill student for 2 years to complete my BS in either electrical engineering, computer engineering, or both. I know the common GiP attitude is never not :frogout:, but with a wife and kid SELRES looks like it may a worthwhile thing to consider in the interim between finishing my degree and getting a health plan through an employer. Anyone know whether I'd be able to elect to only do 2 or 3 years of this as opposed to another full 4 year contract (I will have 5 in by EAOS), or any other pitfalls/benefits I should be aware of going forward with this plan?

You can sign a 3 year contract. If you affiliate within, I want to say, 30 days (I just had it for the day after eaos) you have a 2 year deferment from involuntary mobilization. I wasn't on the short list for mob (the got selected) until I signed a 2 year contract after my 3 year first reserve one was up.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

You can sign a 3 year contract. If you affiliate within, I want to say, 30 days (I just had it for the day after eaos) you have a 2 year deferment from involuntary mobilization. I wasn't on the short list for mob (the got selected) until I signed a 2 year contract after my 3 year first reserve one was up.
So 3 years is the minimum I'd be eligble to re-up for? What's your opinion of the reserves compared to AD, and what do you actually do on your drill weekends and the 2-week yearly thing? KetTarma's past posts make it sound like nothing but showing up for a weekend to gently caress off and click through NKOs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

So 3 years is the minimum I'd be eligble to re-up for? What's your opinion of the reserves compared to AD, and what do you actually do on your drill weekends and the 2-week yearly thing? KetTarma's past posts make it sound like nothing but showing up for a weekend to gently caress off and click through NKOs.

I did the 3 years as I got some money for it and my plan was to be a bum for a year before going to grad school and real life.

Reserves go about a million times slower than what you're use to. The reserve activity has people there who, even though the customer facing portion, are non-responsive and only occasionally useful.

Your drill weekend depends on your rate. Being in the IWC, we have production requirements from our command so on top of the usual requirements from the NOSC, we have real(-ish) work to do. Commands that drill at the NOSC are usually just there to account for people and make sure they are mobilization/AT ready.

I stayed in because I like the production job I do and helping out junior folks going through college. The admin side of things is a hellscape that you will get little assistance from an overworked N1/admin shop.

At the end of the day, if you still kind of like what you're doing and want some extra $ and cheaper family insurance, it isn't too bad. Senior leadership will love you to death for coming from active duty as I know I can give them a task and not worry that they'll gently caress it up.

Hope that helps.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

Yup. Well if you have working computers then yes. I do all my NKOs from home.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Gray Matter, here's the SELRES benefits link.

Work with your CCC to apply for a SELRES quota through the Career Waypoints system. Once you have a SELRES quota you can start working with the CTO to complete your paperwork. The process is very streamlined these days, I think they can get you affiliated with about 7 sheets of paperwork.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Navy Thread: DustyNuts - PSD hates him with this one simple trick!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

CLICK HERE to find out why this guy is taking over PSD one post at a time

Seriously though homie is better than any chain of command or PSD/admin ever will be

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

None of the schools where you were planning on attending offer medical to students, or if your wife could find an employer with coverage for her fam? Some states also offer government subsidies in paying for health insurance, I think Cali is one of them. Go ahead and re-up if you want for the 3 years of security, but what'll give you the most security in the long run?

DustyNuts wrote all the instructions we've ever looked at ever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

Gray Matter, here's the SELRES benefits link.

Work with your CCC to apply for a SELRES quota through the Career Waypoints system. Once you have a SELRES quota you can start working with the CTO to complete your paperwork. The process is very streamlined these days, I think they can get you affiliated with about 7 sheets of paperwork.

Speaking of selres, I'm over here at the nosc getting a government id card, and I started talking to the ps1 who runs the id lab about how I'll be drilling here. I specifically mentioned how my AD career counselor and career transitioning guy specifically told me that I'd have a chiefs exam waiting for me here. I couldn't take it in January because of when I was separating you see.

The ps1 mentions that she's also the career counselor here, and there will be no test.

Yay!

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

None of the schools where you were planning on attending offer medical to students, or if your wife could find an employer with coverage for her fam? Some states also offer government subsidies in paying for health insurance, I think Cali is one of them. Go ahead and re-up if you want for the 3 years of security, but what'll give you the most security in the long run?

DustyNuts wrote all the instructions we've ever looked at ever.
They offer to students but not family, and my wife will be leaving Lemoore the same time as me and will not realistically have a job lined up good enough to provide health coverage with no gaps prior to our move. Based on expected 2017 income I would qualify for Medicaid in my home state, but I have been balls-deep in insurance research the past couple days and this reserve thing is really looking like an attractive option (thanks DustyNuts for the resource).

I spoke with my CCC today and found that I can:

-sign for as little as 2 years which is perfect for my intentions
-get free family Tricare for the first 6 months of selres (TAMP), and then pay a competitive price ($210/mo) with stupid low copay and deductible after those 6 months
-Get paid ~$175 a day to drill 2 days a month, 20 miles from home
-Get a half-month's salary once a year for the two week drill
-Be guaranteed not to deploy in the first 2 years

As much as I don't like the thought of continuing on in the Navy, I can't deny that these options would really help my endgame of working the fewest hours possible while finishing school. The beard and weed might have to wait :unsmith:

e: one other question I will have to address with CC, but maybe someone here knows.. am I still eligible to receive the full BAH allowance and book stipend from the GI bill if I go to school while in the reserves?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 28, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hey, must be time for the spring PFA cycle. All these people I've never seen in the gym before are now here. :toot:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Nobles gym?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Gray Matter posted:

e: one other question I will have to address with CC, but maybe someone here knows.. am I still eligible to receive the full BAH allowance and book stipend from the GI bill if I go to school while in the reserves?

-i think you can sign a 3 year IRR contract. i'd imagine a 2 year contract makes you an obligor driller(i.e. you have to drill). you should probably also be eligible for a bonus of some sort for signing a 2 year obligated contract but who knows. a 3 year irr contract means you may transfer from the drilling reserve to the irr at your own discretion and then, at a later date, return if you so chose. however, you can't do this on a month to month basis.

-yes

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Gray Matter posted:

They offer to students but not family, and my wife will be leaving Lemoore the same time as me and will not realistically have a job lined up good enough to provide health coverage with no gaps prior to our move. Based on expected 2017 income I would qualify for Medicaid in my home state, but I have been balls-deep in insurance research the past couple days and this reserve thing is really looking like an attractive option (thanks DustyNuts for the resource).

-get free family Tricare for the first 6 months of selres (TAMP), and then pay a competitive price ($210/mo) with stupid low copay and deductible after those 6 months
-Get paid ~$175 a day to drill 2 days a month, 20 miles from home
-Get a half-month's salary once a year for the two week drill
-Be guaranteed not to deploy in the first 2 years

As much as I don't like the thought of continuing on in the Navy, I can't deny that these options would really help my endgame of working the fewest hours possible while finishing school. The beard and weed might have to wait :unsmith:

Have you ever received hazardous duty / combat pay? I'm not 100% but I thought that the oef/off benefits could be extended to dependents, though I may be confusing that with a 30%+ disability rating

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Have you ever received hazardous duty / combat pay? I'm not 100% but I thought that the oef/off benefits could be extended to dependents, though I may be confusing that with a 30%+ disability rating
Yes, during 2012-2013 deployment in support of OEF. As far as I can tell, I may be eligible for 5 years of VA medical coverage but no benefits are extended to dependents unless you're killed or receive a total and permanent disability. I don't have any major service-related health concerns.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

-i think you can sign a 3 year IRR contract. i'd imagine a 2 year contract makes you an obligor driller(i.e. you have to drill). you should probably also be eligible for a bonus of some sort for signing a 2 year obligated contract but who knows. a 3 year irr contract means you may transfer from the drilling reserve to the irr at your own discretion and then, at a later date, return if you so chose. however, you can't do this on a month to month basis.
I thought you automatically transferred to IRR for the remainder of your 8 year contract once AD obligation was up unless you elect via CWAY to go SELRES. I didn't think there was any drilling involved at all in IRR? But also no family medical coverage, which is what I'm after here. What I'm intending is finish 5 years AD, sign 2 years for SELRES for the insurance while I finish my BS, then 1 year IRR during which I'm functionally not a part of the Navy at all but will have to find insurance elsewhere, for a total of 8 years.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The 5-year thing is only for you, and the insurance available when you go from AD to IRR (it's tied to leaving AD, the IRR part is irrelevant) is called Continuing Healthcare Benefit Program (CHCBP). It's basically Tricare Standard but for a family you'll be paying over $900 per MONTH. And you're only eligible for 6, 18, or 36 months depending on *things* so it's also not a permanent solution. I don't know if you're CHCBP eligible coming out of the SELRES, but I kind of doubt it. TAMP is basically 6 free months of Tricare Standard, but if you're just getting out after your commitment you won't be eligible.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

Yes, during 2012-2013 deployment in support of OEF. As far as I can tell, I may be eligible for 5 years of VA medical coverage but no benefits are extended to dependents unless you're killed or receive a total and permanent disability. I don't have any major service-related health concerns.

I thought you automatically transferred to IRR for the remainder of your 8 year contract once AD obligation was up unless you elect via CWAY to go SELRES. I didn't think there was any drilling involved at all in IRR? But also no family medical coverage, which is what I'm after here. What I'm intending is finish 5 years AD, sign 2 years for SELRES for the insurance while I finish my BS, then 1 year IRR during which I'm functionally not a part of the Navy at all but will have to find insurance elsewhere, for a total of 8 years.

Might want to consider a three year contract, depending on rate you'd be eligible for a bonus. I got 10 for six.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Yeah I saw the cost details of the CHCBP the other day and immediately NOPED. I can get a high-deductible plan on the marketplace for $150 a month, and none of us have serious health problems such that we couldn't live without comprehensive coverage for a couple years. I'd be surprised if LS is eligible for a bonus but I will definitely look into it. SELRES is looking like it might be the way to go here. I'm at least going to apply CWAY for it and still have the rest of the year to change my mind if something better comes along. Re-enlisting AD is not happening under any circumstances. Never again. :911:

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2016

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Re-enlisting AD is not happening under any circumstances. Never again. :911:

Not empty quoting.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Gray Matter posted:

i'm like 99% certain the below is accurate. ask someone who knows more:
you can transfer to the selected reserve and drill during the irr time remaining on your contract without signing an additional contract. you would just do so on a non-obligated basis. whereas, reservists are mostly people who are obligated to drill per the terms of their 6 reserve/2irr, 5 reserve/3irr or national call to service 2 active/4 reserve/2 irr contract.

you can sign a contract, if you want, and doing so would generally come with some sort of bonus. also, you should note that anytime spent in the dep counts against your irr time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This is duffelblog, right??

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/03/31/navy-just-approved-militarys-best-tattoo-rules/82425974/

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Works towards retention goals. Neck tattoos mean you basically have to stay in.

I'm totally getting a sleeve tho

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Thanks for the kind words dudes. Here's a shirt I wear when I'm on liberty.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anyone know a decent artist/place in Norfuck?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone know a decent artist/place in Norfuck?

The Hotel I'm in up near BWI happens to be next to a fantastic looking shop full of skilled individuals.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That policy makes sense, good job Navies

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Neck huh. Good luck on the job market fo' sure.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I always try to talk people out of getting tattoos in stupid places but obviously they lack the foresight

Like just because it's 2016 doesn't mean tattoos are socially acceptable in any capacity; not until the baby boomers officially die off

"I'll just wear long sleeves!" :downs:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's loving awesome!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I always associated sleeve tattoos with lifers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah long sleeves don't cover full sleeves. Whole lot of kids are gonna gently caress themselves with this.

The legs is pretty harmless.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I still laugh when dudes get it almost to their elbow and act like they can just wear a simple t-shirt and be fine in the work place while their gaudy tattoo constantly pokes out

It's not what you think or how you interpret it, it's what others do

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I still laugh when dudes get it almost to their elbow and act like they can just wear a simple t-shirt and be fine in the work place while their gaudy tattoo constantly pokes out

It's not what you think or how you interpret it, it's what others do

Kids simply don't understand that.

Everyone is constantly judging the gently caress outa yah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

LingcodKilla posted:

Kids simply don't understand that.

Everyone is constantly judging the gently caress outa yah.

But everyone loves my pizza slice tattoo :smithcloud:

Related; Some kid put in a chit for a half sleeve and got denied. So he came back to work with a full sleeve of characters from Kingdom Hearts. So now he's getting huge arbitrary strips lazered off so "they're not touching, therefore not a sleeve."

SHOOOOOOOOOORE DUUUUUUUUUUUTY

• Locked thread