Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tenebrais posted:

Wasn't a disc copy of the entire comic one of the backer rewards for the old kickstarter? I'm sure once that gets made it'll be up on the internet in minutes.

Oh right.

I mean I'd buy one.

Mainly cause I'll be without internet this winter for an extended amount of time and that'd basically be the perfect time to knock a reread out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Toxxupation posted:

Go with god, forums knight plom bar. Your crusade for pope Andrew I is nearly over. You are standing in the ruins of webcomic Jerusalem.

I consider myself more like the chronicler Anna Comnena than an actual knight. Hussie Vult!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hey, remember how they printed a few Homestuck books? does anyone have those, and if so can you see how much of the story is in them and give a rough estimate of how many books they would need to print the whole thing. I'm guessing at least 50.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tenebrais posted:

Wasn't a disc copy of the entire comic one of the backer rewards for the old kickstarter? I'm sure once that gets made it'll be up on the internet in minutes.

Hopefully it'll come with commentary.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ariong posted:

Hey, remember how they printed a few Homestuck books? does anyone have those, and if so can you see how much of the story is in them and give a rough estimate of how many books they would need to print the whole thing. I'm guessing at least 50.

Acts 1-3 exist as one book each, and I recall a loooooooong time ago some one saying that the entirety of Act 4 fit into one book as well, so going by that, one is probably looking at around 20-24 books total.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Plom Bar posted:

Acts 1-3 exist as one book each, and I recall a loooooooong time ago some one saying that the entirety of Act 4 fit into one book as well, so going by that, one is probably looking at around 20-24 books total.

:stare: that's a bit of tome...

So I haven't been paying attention at all, obviously, have there been any hints as to what Hussie will do once Homestuck is over?

Besides curl up in a ball for a year and try to recover.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ariong posted:

I have the first two, but I couldn't tell you what corner of my house they're lurking in. What I can tell you is that immediately after Hussie seemed to be going out if his way to make the next update as unprintable as possible. Myststuck walkabouts, the password nonsense, trickster updates. My God, imagine trickster updates in a paper format, I think you would have to snort glitter first to get the same impact from static images.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Crain posted:

:stare: that's a bit of tome...

So I haven't been paying attention at all, obviously, have there been any hints as to what Hussie will do once Homestuck is over?

Besides curl up in a ball for a year and try to recover.

Hopefully put out that game that was supposed to come out like 2 years ago.

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
UPDATE!

EdiT: There goes my post for this year :( .

Tabachinova fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 29, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah the rest of us all know already you're the last one to notice

nerd

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I know I'm a couple pages late here buuut

ALL HANDS ON DECK AAAAAAAH

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
After all this time, it just feels wrong.

And the idea that it's going to actually end feels extra wrong.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Homestuck is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This comic's going to end just in time for me to have forgotten all of the rest of it.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
A useful primer for the upd8, for people who need a refresher course.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder if Hussie has anything planned for after Homestuck. I'd love to see a new adventure. Following along the end of PS and seeing the start of HS was so fun. I'd love to see him do something fresh and a bit more laid back, but I get the vibe he's pretty busy with Homestuck game stuff.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if Hussie has anything planned for after Homestuck. I'd love to see a new adventure. Following along the end of PS and seeing the start of HS was so fun. I'd love to see him do something fresh and a bit more laid back, but I get the vibe he's pretty busy with Homestuck game stuff.

There's also Homestuck 2.0, I assume you mean after that as well.
There won't be an after homestuck. He's more attached to it than Kojima to Metal Gear.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

There won't be an after homestuck. He's more attached to it than Kojima to Metal Gear.
Really? I don't follow him on any social media - I was figuring he might be burned out on Homestuck by this point.

Although it could be interesting to see something in a same/similar setting so he can gently caress with expectations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He will finally be free.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hussie will be forced to work on homestuck forever, trapped in his office by an enormous bust of Ryan North that is wedged in the hallway

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The last update to Homestuck will be Hussie serenely blowing his brains out in front of his computer screen. The game will contain nothing but a rotating 3D model of the "You're Welcome" stamp.

To bring back the deadpool chat, my money's on Jade dying if any of the original kids die. She's being set up for a heroic sacrifice by alt-Calliope and there isn't really enough time left in the story to give her an alternative character arc or subvert our expectations. Most of what we think of as Jade went away with the Retcon, so we're not losing a hell of a lot if she dies here.

Karkat and Kanaya will survive to shepherd the new Troll race. Vriska is dead as fuuuuck. I'm leaning toward Terezi dying since she doesn't have an obvious post-victory role and seems sacrifice-prone. Roxy will live, Jane probably will too since I don't see her death carrying much cachet, Dirk and Jake might die since they're mournful fuckups who'd bring a lot of grief to the survivors. Alt-Calliope will die and Calliope will live because thats' their respective purposes, although I could see them switching places. PM and WV will die heroically to try and retroactively justify why we bothered with the exiles in the first place. Aradia and Sollux will survive by virtue of appearing just once in a background cameo to remind us that they existed. All the sprites will die, and all the ghosts will be destroyed or fade away after the game.

I have no clue about Gamzee. Probably the most likely to get the "dead... OR IS HE??" treatment.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tenebrais posted:

Speaking of the disc, did anything ever come of that project he started to rewrite the walkaround flashes in HTML5 and Javascript? Seems like it would be a natural fit if you were trying to get the comic on offline media.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You do wind up going in against a Sicilian when you try to figure out which bits are false foreshadowing and which bits are true. Moving on, alt!Calliope strongly hinted to Jade that a Space player's role is to go supernova at the end. Rose and Kanaya are probably safe because Hussie's too smart to pull the dead lesbian cliché. John lives because it would be unsatisfying to kill the protagonist. At least one of Dave and Dirk dies because of their touching conversation about what they'd do as old men. Vriska dies heroically because it's what she deeply wants to do. The dreambubbles go, and so do all the ghosts.

The Horrorterrors live.

In my heart of hearts, I believe "just this once, everybody lives!" although that's not very Hussie.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In my heart of hearts, I believe "just this once, everybody lives!" although that's not very Hussie.

Everyone constantly dying yet lingering on via alternate timelines, clones, constant resurrections, ghosts and other contrivances is very Hussie, though - he might like to kill them, but he doesn't seem to like throwing characters away (so that he can kill them some more).

Part of what makes an end to Homestuck unbelievable is forcing Hussie to collapse the mortality waveform and actually kill his characters stone dead and out of the story.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dolash posted:

Part of what makes an end to Homestuck unbelievable is forcing Hussie to collapse the mortality waveform and actually kill his characters stone dead and out of the story.
Nice analogy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Even the ghosts?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Even the ghosts?
Nah, the ghosts are toast. Probably the sprites, too.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
What the gently caress is Homestuck 2.0?

I'm very much in the "I don't care about this thing anymore but I want to see what the end is" camp, I don't think I can take another one of these lol

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
The sprites perma-dying makes a lot of sense to me since they act as guides to the players, guiding them through puberty into adulthood. Once the kids "grow up" by completing the game they don't need guides anymore.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Valex posted:

What the gently caress is Homestuck 2.0?

I'm very much in the "I don't care about this thing anymore but I want to see what the end is" camp, I don't think I can take another one of these lol

something Dante Basco dropped in an interview about increasing minority representation in media creation

its probably nothing, but theres always the offhand chance that its not nothing and we are all damned for ever

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blackheart posted:

He will finally be free.

we will all be free

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Man, this... This feels weird. I started reading this comic in my teens, and now I'm in my mid twenties, working as a teacher, with students who know what it is.

Also, it feels like there's so much stuff to wrap up between now and the end. Huss seems over it, going off his statuses. It'll be interesting to see Caliborn jump from being the twerp who got dunked on by John to Lord English.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well the prologue/wrapup for Problem Sleuth was pretty positive, so there's hope, right? ...right?

WAR FOOT posted:

Man, this... This feels weird. I started reading this comic in my teens, and now I'm in my mid twenties, working as a teacher, with students who know what it is.

Think I started reading it in my first year of college. Done that and been at my job for 3 years now.

While I remember being in from the ground floor (4/10 false start), the Upward Movement flash was probably the earliest/strongest memory I have of the comic getting me totally hyped.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Well the prologue/wrapup for Problem Sleuth was pretty positive, so there's hope, right? ...right?

i remain optimistic.

everyone gets a happy end. even the loving clown.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the moment I went from a Casual Homestuck Reader to a Homestuck Fan was [S] Dave: Accelerate. Funny, how that seemed so mindblowingly cool at the time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think the moment I went from a Casual Homestuck Reader to a Homestuck Fan was [S] Dave: Accelerate. Funny, how that seemed so mindblowingly cool at the time.

One of my favourite pages is this one where John checks the mail.

I'd been enjoying Homestuck Act 1, but this was the point where I got the feeling there was a lot more to this than wacky inventory shenanigans.

A long day indeed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Vriska's Lord English plan is dumb and I don't think she's going to go through with it, if only because she isn't able. I think we will get one last appearance from alt Vriska having, due to the nature of time in the furthest ring, spent quite a lot of time emulating a far more healthy role model. I'm mostly just excited to catch a glimpse of what Vriska might look like having changed herself to be more like Terezi. Such a character might even gain the coveted rank of Best Character, knocking Vriska and Terezi down to second and third place respectively.

I also hope that one or both of the Nannasprites get to strike a blow against the Condesce as revenge for their terrible childhood, though I won't shed any tears if that never comes to fruition. I will shed a fat one if we never get a reunion between PM and WV though.

WAR FOOT posted:

Also, it feels like there's so much stuff to wrap up between now and the end. Huss seems over it, going off his statuses. It'll be interesting to see Caliborn jump from being the twerp who got dunked on by John to Lord English.

Well we already know how that comes to pass, or at least the prescribed path for that happening. Now that John has retcon power, everything is up in the air. What is "meant" to happen is that Dirk attempts to kill Caliborn by pulling his soul into a vessel (L'il Cal) and then using the Ring of Void to banish it to the furthest ring forever. He ends up accidentally pulling in AR's, Equius' and half of Gamzee's souls in as well. Due to the nature of Lord of Time powers this not only fails to kill him, but proves to be exactly what needed to happen to create Lord English.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Well, there's a bunch of characters that feel like they just sort of faded away. Sollux, Aradia and Aranea are the headliners, and I feel we'll probably see Aranea again given Cool Vriska and Meenah's discussion about her. Tavros sort of has his closure by doing something valuable and becoming a friendleader. Kurloz and Gamzee probably still have poo poo to do. Eridan and Feferi are possibly out of the comic, except for in the ghost army? I get the feeling the scene between Eridan and Sollux/Feferi in Remember was meant to be some closure for them.

Equius and Nepeta are around in the form of Arquius and Davepeta, Callie's been ditched but will probably play some role, Jade's still asleep, off with Vaguely Sinister Calliope, who does that leave that isn't directly involved in the upcoming Vriska Plan Pileup?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think all the dancestors are gone for good, except as part of the ghost army.

WAR FOOT posted:

who does that leave that isn't directly involved in the upcoming Vriska Plan Pileup?

The Mayor. On the lilypad, we heard Karkat promise him, in interrupted whispers, to build Can Town to a real-person scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's going to be like the plotline in Minus where everybody who ever lived gets brought back to life, then they all die instantly because there are trillions and trillions of full-size non-decomposed organisms all suddenly occupying the same space and crushing each other under their sheer combined biomass (please insert your own Vriska joke here), and then a flourishing ghost society gradually develops.