Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electromax posted:

So there are two things out there with blue people in a forest. If only he'd painted them purple instead.

I don't like the thought process in which people clamor for original ideas, then take each one and identify as many individual components as possible that could've been influenced by an existing thing as if that alone devalues it. I still think Avatar is worth watching once for the visuals even if someone previously imagined a blue person in a forest. Otherwise the criteria for an original idea get asymptotically narrower until everything is taken already.

Nas said it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAWFwADRH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad Divine is dead, he'd be perfect for Granny Goodness.

MacheteZombie posted:

People online are already claiming it's Steppenwolf

This makes more sense.

Avatar is kind of amazing, becuase it was huge, massive film, that has been completely forgotten. It's not something that people rave about, but every once and a while someone will bring it up and people will remember it. I feel like Jurrassic World suffered from the same thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When exactly did "grosses a billion worldwide" become par for course for blockbusters? I remember when Avengers came out, it going over a billion was cited as something pretty remarkable, but now it seems relatively commonplace. The big question about The Force Awakens wasn't whether it'd make more than a billion, it was how much more than two billion it'd get. If you look at the list of the highest-grossing movies, most of the top ten are all from the last five years.

I realise there's inflation, of course, but is it all down to China opening up as a market?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Another Lego Batman trailer. This is my Batman.

https://youtu.be/LHgQSwgKygk

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When exactly did "grosses a billion worldwide" become par for course for blockbusters? I remember when Avengers came out, it going over a billion was cited as something pretty remarkable, but now it seems relatively commonplace. The big question about The Force Awakens wasn't whether it'd make more than a billion, it was how much more than two billion it'd get. If you look at the list of the highest-grossing movies, most of the top ten are all from the last five years.

I realise there's inflation, of course, but is it all down to China opening up as a market?

There's a number of factors, but China becoming such a huge player is definitely part of it. Mostly it's just down to expectations. With a $250M budget and $100-150M estimated on marketing analysts are saying after everyone gets their cuts of the money that the bare minimum to break even is around $800M worldwide. And you'd think they want to do significantly more than break even on a movie like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've actually just looked at Wikipedia, and it seems as though the only movies in the list of the top ten highest-grossing which pre-date 2010 are... Avatar and Titanic, the top two, which will probably never be toppled from their lofty perches. Star Wars has come closest and it had this colossal event at the back of it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

There's a number of factors, but China becoming such a huge player is definitely part of it. Mostly it's just down to expectations. With a $250M budget and $100-150M estimated on marketing analysts are saying after everyone gets their cuts of the money that the bare minimum to break even is around $800M worldwide. And you'd think they want to do significantly more than break even on a movie like this.

Even setting aside the fact that WB already has no less than three films spinning out of this one that are already in (respectively) post-production, very late production, and very late pre-production, it's entirely possible that it'll fall short of the last two solo Batman films. That's not a good look.

I obviously don't have access to WB's internal expectations, but I'd guess their reactions would be something like:
>1.2B: great
>1.1B: good
<1.1B: satisfactory
<1B: underperforming
<900M: very disappointing
<800M: panic, Tsujihara et al. commit mass suicide

I doubt it'll end up above 1.1B or below 800M, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Oh if it ends up below 800 mill everybody is getting fired and all the late production movies are going to get pushed back for re-shoots and retooling but that is very unlikely to happen.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Yeah, still think it'll end up somewhere in between 900M and 1.1B when all's said and done. Its legs probably won't be *that* bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find it interesting people aren't liking the Fallout Batman dream, as it was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Though I guess if you aren't familiar with New Gods stuff It could come across confusing.

Speaking of that, someone better make that Batman outfit for Fallout 4.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

twistedmentat posted:

I find it interesting people aren't liking the Fallout Batman dream, as it was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Though I guess if you aren't familiar with New Gods stuff It could come across confusing.

I don't think its so much that people hate the scene. Its just that its so out of place and its used as a plot device to bolster Bruce's mistrust of Clark and setup a future movie.

Zach is trying to build a universe with many pieces shoved into one movie instead of a few pieces portrayed in a few movies. To his (and the franchise's) detriment in my opinion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Given the amount of marketing the opening numbers arent a surprise. I am more than a little curious about that huge drop right after though. Should be interesting to watch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Comfortador posted:

I don't think its so much that people hate the scene. Its just that its so out of place and its used as a plot device to bolster Bruce's mistrust of Clark and setup a future movie.

Zach is trying to build a universe with many pieces shoved into one movie instead of a few pieces portrayed in a few movies. To his (and the franchise's) detriment in my opinion.

I guess that makes more sense, and just for clicks they're acting like people are hating it.

Though a friend pointed out that it means the first Fourth World stuff in a movie was done by Synder.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Though a friend pointed out that it means the first Fourth World stuff in a movie was done by Synder.

Okay now I hate it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's not true, there's a terrible 80s movie called Abraxas starring Jesse Ventura that's technically Fourth World.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Intergang was in Steel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Coughcoughmastersofftheuniversehackhough

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zack Snyder wishes he could make something as good as Masters of the Universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Abraxas and Masters of the Universe are basically Kirby Fourth World movies. Both suck though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Zack Snyder wishes he could make something as good as Masters of the Universe.

Let's not be hasty. At least Snyder can make something visually interesting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I got the Darkseid stuff and I still didn't like it. It comes completely out of left field and since we have no connection to Superman, seeing him as dictator of the world isn't really a big shocking moment. It's not like the scene of him walking up and choking out Batman is contrasted with him playing with some kids in the park or anything. It's up against him frowning his way through explosions and fire and the Titanic from what I recall, though I'll grant I only saw it once. Plus it had Batman shootin motherfuckers like mad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First Major thing?

Okay so I saw this a few times, when Bruce gets up in the morning there is a woman in his bed. I took the fact we don't see anything more than he's got a woman in his bed, but it was just showing that he was leading an empty life, that the woman meant nothing to him as nothing but a nights distraction, but some people have been suggesting that she was the deleted Barbara Gordon. I find that kind of creepy, like Wolverine sleeping with Kitty Pryde creepy; masters sleeping with students, especially when it's an man and a young woman. I think its more people trying to insert stuff that isn't there.

redbackground posted:

Coughcoughmastersofftheuniversehackhough

According to any primary sources, it wasn't. Canon Films never had any license to produce anything, and its more fans noticing similarities.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

According to any primary sources, it wasn't. Canon Films never had any license to produce anything, and it's more fans noticing similarities.
Well, and the director himself:

Director Gary Goddard posted:

As the director of Masters of the Universe, it was a pleasure to see that someone got it. Your comparison of the film to Kirby’s New Gods was not far off. In fact, the storyline was greatly inspired by the classic Fantastic Four/Doctor Doom epics, The New Gods and a bit of Thor thrown in here and there. I intended the film to be a "motion picture comic book," though it was a tough proposition to sell to the studio at the time. 'Comics are just for kids,' they thought. They would not allow me to hire Jack Kirby who I desperately wanted to be the conceptual artist for the picture…

I grew up with Kirby's comics (I’ve still got all my Marvels from the first issue of Fantastic Four and Spider-Man through the time Kirby left) and I had great pleasure meeting him when he first moved to California. Since that time I enjoyed the friendship of Jack and Roz and was lucky enough to spend many hours with Jack, hearing how he created this character and that one, why a villain has to be even more powerful than a hero, and on and on. Jack was a great communicator, and listening to him was always an education. You might be interested to know that I tried to dedicate Masters of Universe to Jack Kirby in the closing credits, but the studio took the credit out.

So no, it was never intended to be an official Fourth World movie, but it sure is an unapologetic love letter to it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 29, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now this is an article I trust

quote:

How ‘Batman V Superman’ Will Turn A Profit Despite Critical Kryptonite

Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run. However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

“It will not make a profit in the way that Zootopia (global B.O. $698M, cost $150M) or Deadpool (global B.O. $746M, cost $58M) have,” said our source. We’ve heard that any B.O. figure north of $800M was considered a good start for DC movies 2.0. Some sources think there’s a possibility that BvS could hit $1B globally, and that’s because nothing is standing in the pic’s way. Disney’s live-action/CGI version of The Jungle Book debuts April 8 in Australia, Argentina, Russia and Southeast Asia (15% of foreign) before touching down April 15 stateside. Seventy percent of international will bow day-and-date with U.S. Universal’s The Huntsman: Winter’s War starts its journey abroad in 24 territories on April 6 and lands in U.S./Canada and everywhere else April 22.

Currently, exhibitors are projecting a 65% decline for BvS this weekend, or $74.7M (we heard some exhibitors weren’t overly thrilled, but if it’s making money, that’s not going to stop them from showing it). In regards to its tracking,The Jungle Book conceivably could open to $62M in No. 1 stateside, fueled by female and older male quadrants. Last year, after F7 opened over Easter weekend, it held the top spot for four frames until Avengers: Age of Ultron launched the summer.

In the rundown below, foreign rentals are figured at 40%, while U.S./Canadian money comes back to Burbank at an average 55% of domestic B.O. We’ve also heard that worldwide P&A rose from $150M to $165M at the last minute “because Warner Bros had to make sure this picture opened,” said another source. Pricey P&A is never a bad thing: It means that the studio gave a drat and invested in the movie. Had it not spent, and BvS didn’t open, then that would be bad.

Global home entertainment revenues (that includes SVOD) for BvS are estimated at $260M, which would be less than the $311M made by Age of Ultron. Worldwide TV revenue at $135M would also be estimated to be under Ultron‘s $143M total TV take. Participations and residual payouts to the BvS cast are estimated at $92.4M, which is $10M less than Ultron. The chart is below. Note, this is before any merchandising is taken into consideration. Three years ago, The Licensing Letter weighed global retails sales for Batman and Superman at $771M combined.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redbackground posted:

Well, and the director himself:

So no, it was never intended to be an official Fourth World movie, but it sure is an unapologetic love letter to it.

It's more accurate to say its a love letter to Kirby, which is perfect.

Ouch, 65% decline in its second weekend.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It apparently dropped 55% from Friday to Sunday beating out Fant4stic Four's 47% drop off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not directly comparable to others because of the Easter weekend though. Others haven't opened on Easter weekend.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

First Major thing?

Okay so I saw this a few times, when Bruce gets up in the morning there is a woman in his bed. I took the fact we don't see anything more than he's got a woman in his bed, but it was just showing that he was leading an empty life, that the woman meant nothing to him as nothing but a nights distraction, but some people have been suggesting that she was the deleted Barbara Gordon. I find that kind of creepy, like Wolverine sleeping with Kitty Pryde creepy; masters sleeping with students, especially when it's an man and a young woman. I think its more people trying to insert stuff that isn't there.

She's meant to be faceless. Compare that and Bruce's relationship with his mother to Clark with Lois and his mom. If you want another angle, throw in Lex and his relationship with Mercy (who is totally into him), and his mother (who is never mentioned).

People complain about how unsubtle the movie is, but I really don't know if there is room for subtlety with modern movie audiences. You need a Lex Luthor to spell things out. I don't mind because I'm the type of person that finds comfort in my fears being punched in the face by men in colorful costumes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

First Major thing?

According to any primary sources, it wasn't. Canon Films never had any license to produce anything, and its more fans noticing similarities.

I'm pretty sure that was a small nod to Bruce Wayne's womanizing ways across all depictions of him in media. I don't think it was big enough to necessitate projection, talking about his mom, or assuming it was Barbara goddamn Gordon. It's okay to like this movie without pretending it's the most complex and thought provoking thing in existence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, its supposed to be something that's just part of his empty life, not some hidden clue to anything. God drat nerds will make up theories about anything just to make themselves look smart, or try to place deeper meaning on something.

Like the loving "The Joker is actually Jason Todd" crap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember that horseshit when Dark Knight came out and people thought they'd found The Riddler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

First Major thing?

Wouldn't be the first time that happened, and in a much better continuity, too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Electromax posted:

So there are two things out there with blue people in a forest. If only he'd painted them purple instead.

I don't like the thought process in which people clamor for original ideas, then take each one and identify as many individual components as possible that could've been influenced by an existing thing as if that alone devalues it. I still think Avatar is worth watching once for the visuals even if someone previously imagined a blue person in a forest. Otherwise the criteria for an original idea get asymptotically narrower until everything is taken already.

Nas said it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAWFwADRH8
https://vimeo.com/139094998

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Remember that horseshit when Dark Knight came out and people thought they'd found The Riddler.

The Riddler could be a really awesome villain if done right, though. Really play up Batman's detective angle, have the Riddler be a really sharp "Order and logic" counterpoint to the Joker's "Chaos and mayhem", etc.

I guess about the closest we've ever come to something like that on screen was "Die Hard With A Vengeance"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no issue with Riddler being in a Batman movie and that might've been a good way to go for the third film but I'm talking about the stupid-rear end conspiracy theory based on a pun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xenomrph posted:

The Riddler could be a really awesome villain if done right, though. Really play up Batman's detective angle, have the Riddler be a really sharp "Order and logic" counterpoint to the Joker's "Chaos and mayhem", etc.

I guess about the closest we've ever come to something like that on screen was "Die Hard With A Vengeance"?

People don't seem to care about the Worlds Greatest Detective Batman, and just want to see Punch and Gadget Batman these days.

Why I love Long Halloween so much, most of it is Batman investigating, and the Holiday Murders being so strange that he can't even fully solve them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Detective didn't even notice he was followed 5 feet back down the stairs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Mr. Detective didn't even notice he was followed 5 feet back down the stairs.

To be fair, it was Wonder Woman, but yea, that always feels like the movies leave that aspect out of the character. I mean, the closest we got in the Nolan ones is that weird scene with the bricks, which never made any sense to me. how could you get a finger print from a random bullet, and not the one fired?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was Superman I was thinking of. He follows him down pretty closely since they're in the same shot, but gets distracted by the TV. Wonder Woman was presumably already downstairs, since she had just taken the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, it was Wonder Woman, but yea, that always feels like the movies leave that aspect out of the character. I mean, the closest we got in the Nolan ones is that weird scene with the bricks, which never made any sense to me. how could you get a finger print from a random bullet, and not the one fired?
It did come from the fired one. They weren't sure how to put the bullet with the fingerprint back together, so they fired some to see how they fragmented.

• Locked thread