Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've had my PDF copy of The Black Hack, a dead-simple OD&D retroclone by David Hack, fulfilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've had my PDF copy of The Black Hack, a dead-simple OD&D retroclone by David Hack, fulfilled.

Ditto. There's a decent amount I like in it from a read-through (inventory management, armor as damage reduction, a universal roll-under mechanic), but there's definitely some questionable bits as well, such as...

quote:

ROLLING STATS
Stats are generated with 3d6 in the following order Strength (STR), Dexterity (DEX), Constitution (CON), Intelligence (INT), Wisdom (WIS), Charisma (CHA). If a stat of 15+ is rolled the next must be rolled with 2d6 + 2, then continue with 3d6 until the end or another 15+ is rolled. Once all stats are generated 2 may be swapped around.
... a method for rolling stats that is arguably more punishing that 3d6 in order.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

... a method for rolling stats that is arguably more punishing that 3d6 in order.

:psyduck: If you roll well, you have to be reeled in, but if you roll poo poo, that's perfectly fine.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Scyther posted:

:psyduck: If you roll well, you have to be reeled in, but if you roll poo poo, that's perfectly fine.

It's possible it was assumed that the level up method would quickly equalize characters (when you level up, you roll a D20 against each Stat. If you roll over the Stat, it goes up by one) but yeah, if you get a good roll your next one is at a penalty.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
That's certainly a definition of "anti-heroic" I wasn't previously familiar with.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Byers2142 posted:

It's possible it was assumed that the level up method would quickly equalize characters (when you level up, you roll a D20 against each Stat. If you roll over the Stat, it goes up by one) but yeah, if you get a good roll your next one is at a penalty.

I'm super into 'OSR meets Fire Emblem.'

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
And it's not just that you get penalized. You have to roll in order, barring your one swap. So if you're strong, you aren't likely to be quick. Quick people aren't tough. Tough people aren't smart. Smart people aren't wise. Wise people have no social skills.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

I mean, this lines up with a lot of attitudes I've seen people take wrt random D&D stat gen, that lovely stats build character and you need to suck it up but the guy who rolled three 18s hmmm they may need to be taught a lesson.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, this lines up with a lot of attitudes I've seen people take wrt random D&D stat gen, that lovely stats build character and you need to suck it up but the guy who rolled three 18s hmmm they may need to be taught a lesson.

Sure, but to build mechanics to do this in a game that also features the following core mechanic...

quote:

THE CORE MECHANIC
Everything a character might possibly attempt that could result in failure is resolved by testing attribute stats, in order to successfully test a stat - a player must roll below it on a d20.
... seems either cruel or oblivious. How dare you want to have an effective character?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Byers2142 posted:

Sure, but to build mechanics to do this in a game that also features the following core mechanic...

... seems either cruel or oblivious. How dare you want to have an effective character?

Again, this is what "old school D&D" is to a lot of people. It's one reason why the only OSR guy I give the time of day to is Kevin Crawford, because even if he's decided to stick with the same six stats and random rolls, he usually incorporates methods for characters to sub out rolls for certain guaranteed minimums and other ways to ensure a certain baseline of minimum competence.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Again, this is what "old school D&D" is to a lot of people. It's one reason why the only OSR guy I give the time of day to is Kevin Crawford, because even if he's decided to stick with the same six stats and random rolls, he usually incorporates methods for characters to sub out rolls for certain guaranteed minimums and other ways to ensure a certain baseline of minimum competence.

Kevin Crawford's also got a well thought out method to Kickstarting that I appreciate. His last few updates on Godbound, he's spent most of the time talking about encumbrance on a Kickstarter campaigns as it applies to time and money and how to avoid losing money or not being able to fulfill due to stretch goal creep. His next promised topic is:

quote:

"Physical backer rewards: threat or menace?" or "Murder In Miniature".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, to me the quintessential old school D&D experience is your thief having a 35% chance of climbing a wall... and if he falls, there's a very good chance he'll die. This struck 12 year old me as really weird and dumb at the time, but for some folks, it's the desirable core of the game that they want to resurrect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Things to keep in mind here:

If you're rolling 3d6, and success is d20-roll-under, then you already do have an effective character in the sense that the average 3d6 roll, which is 10, is going to yield a 50% success rate under a d20-roll-under mechanic

Enforcing a lower-average 2d6+2 roll after you get a 15 is because a 15 means you're successful 70% of the time

The single score-swap means you can guarantee that your primary stat is your highest possible stat

The game does have a mechanic for increasing your stats, which other D&D's don't have: roll a d20 for every stat, and the attribute increases by one if you roll higher than your current score. Classes get to roll twice for their primary stats, such as STR and DEX for Warriors

The game is also significantly more high-powered than regular OD&D right off the bat: Fighters get a flat extra attack per character level, spellcasters don't consume their slotted spells as long as they keep rolling under their INT/WIS, and attack rolls are also just as long as you keep rolling under your stat.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh hey, it's up on OBS already. I'm gonna buy it, read it, and go bitch about it in the retroclone thread.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Things to keep in mind here:

If you're rolling 3d6, and success is d20-roll-under, then you already do have an effective character in the sense that the average 3d6 roll, which is 10, is going to yield a 50% success rate under a d20-roll-under mechanic

Enforcing a lower-average 2d6+2 roll after you get a 15 is because a 15 means you're successful 70% of the time

The single score-swap means you can guarantee that your primary stat is your highest possible stat

The game does have a mechanic for increasing your stats, which other D&D's don't have: roll a d20 for every stat, and the attribute increases by one if you roll higher than your current score. Classes get to roll twice for their primary stats, such as STR and DEX for Warriors

The game is also significantly more high-powered than regular OD&D right off the bat: Fighters get a flat extra attack per character level, spellcasters don't consume their slotted spells as long as they keep rolling under their INT/WIS, and attack rolls are also just as long as you keep rolling under your stat.

This actually does make it sound more palatable. As long as there's no other significant crunch or power bloat.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The talk about the resolution mechanic from 7th Sea got me thinking about mechanics supporting the narrative, and spawned a blog post.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I have never heard of this before but Deep Wars: Blood Reef sounds kind of cool. I mean, I know literally nothing about the system but I never knew how much I wanted an underwater miniatures game before. I am filled with an all-consuming desire to paint sharks and other sea monsters. Anybody have any experience or knowledge about this company/game?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I have never heard of this before but Deep Wars: Blood Reef sounds kind of cool. I mean, I know literally nothing about the system but I never knew how much I wanted an underwater miniatures game before. I am filled with an all-consuming desire to paint sharks and other sea monsters. Anybody have any experience or knowledge about this company/game?

Armor that's ornate rather than functional, midriff-baring, and not hydrodynamic for marine warriors? What I know about the company/game is that they appear to be attempting to get aboard the KS mini-money train.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

homullus posted:

Armor that's ornate rather than functional, midriff-baring, and not hydrodynamic for marine warriors? What I know about the company/game is that they appear to be attempting to get aboard the KS mini-money train.

I think I just liked the shark and the idea of an underwater tactics game. Long buried memories of TERROR FROM THE DEEP are resurfacing. While the mermaids are a bit gratuitous, it looks like the rest is dudes in diving suits and gribbly fish monsters.

Eh, maybe I'll just get a fishtank instead.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

This aside (not to mention their Amazon line...) the game itself is interesting. Small model count, very objective based, and it is supposed to have a good campaign system though I haven't looked into it. Doesn't hurt that you can get terrain cheap at fish/pet stores.
Most attacks knock your enemy around rather than kill them directly, and it is designed to have traps as part of the terrain. The general goal of a game is to get as much crystals as possible, and to disrupt your enemies gatherers. Fairly simple mechanics overall.

Granted all I played was a demo game of the last edition of the rules. Note that while Deepwars and Shadowsea use the same basic ruleset (in a Warmachine vs Hordes kind of way) there are enough differences so they don't quite mesh. It sounds like the 2.5 rules might make them more comparable though!

The 130 pledge level will get you enough guys for a two player game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I'm not much for skirmish games, but I love most of the models for Deep Wars/Shadowsea, and they've been pretty good about fulfilling their Kickstarters.

The nereids here don't do much for me, but I'm in for the shark, and I'm thinking about getting the sea goblins and the whale carcass.

I mean, c'mon. It's a whale carcass. With bone-eating snot flowers. Where can you go wrong with that?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

homullus posted:

Not that this excuses the complaints but it looks like they're trying to be a carbon copy of Warcraft Nagas so that would explain the stylistic choices.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The backers of Breakfast Cult might be interested in checking out my recent interview with the creator.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Good Godbound update today. He goes into exactly why minis, shirts, etc. are a terrible idea for single creator kickstarters. It's stuff that should be obvious, but often isn't.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

dwarf74 posted:

Good Godbound update today. He goes into exactly why minis, shirts, etc. are a terrible idea for single creator kickstarters. It's stuff that should be obvious, but often isn't.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/godbound-a-game-of-divine-heroes/posts/1530349

way to link to the post

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

:effort:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Check out this cool scam

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90734061/merlins-march-20-levels-dandd-5e-and-pathfinder-co/description

Ignoring the fact that a 20 level campaign that is compatible with both Pathfinder AND 5e being a pretty big undertaking, all the art is taken straight from Free Fantasy Wallpaper sites. There's nary a pdf preview in sight The $160 pledge level supposedly gets you:

- A crown (that reverse image search reveals the image to be snagged from an actual gold and rhinestone crown which retails for $100 but the creator claims it's "plastic with costume jewelry when called out.)
- "Knights of the round table miniatures" (reverse image search reveals the image is snagged from a $120 sculpture, weighing 9 pounds, when called out creator claims it's a 2.2 lb "smaller version" that retails for $40, but I can't find any smaller versions anywhere.)
- Some goblet from the same site as the round table sculpture.

All shipped worldwide along with the paperback and some printed maps.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It depresses me that the campaign has raised almost three grand with a few days to go.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ahhh, one of the art pieces is blatantly cropped from this book cover:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

The backers of Breakfast Cult might be interested in checking out my recent interview with the creator.

Sweet. This game will be the first time DMing any RPG with a group that only played D&D (with some members totally new). Should be a clusterfuck!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
He misspelled Mordred as Mordrid. Everything else is conventional Arthurian spellings. Also if you buy the paperback adventure it costs 15 extra dollars for the pdf

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno if this was posted, but Pack O Game Set 2 has about 6 days to go and looked pretty cool. It's $24 for 9 tiny "pack of gum-sized" card games. They're each made of 30 tiny thin (tall) cards and cover a few different game types.

I love microgames or quick little pocketable card games, so I was obviously all over this one for the pledge that gets you the first set as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Falstaff posted:

It depresses me that the campaign has raised almost three grand with a few days to go.

Basically this is your daily reminder that Kickstarter doesn't actually care if projects ever get fulfilled or not so long as they don't get hit with any sort of legal consequences (DCMA/C&D stuff) and get their cut. Who's this dude and why is all his art ripped off from other people? First Kickstarter he's ever made with completely implausible goals and nothing to show for it? Hey sure whatever, money in the bank.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if this was posted, but Pack O Game Set 2 has about 6 days to go and looked pretty cool. It's $24 for 9 tiny "pack of gum-sized" card games. They're each made of 30 tiny thin (tall) cards and cover a few different game types.

I love microgames or quick little pocketable card games, so I was obviously all over this one for the pledge that gets you the first set as well.

I think the pledge for both sets is out of my range, but I really, really like this. A whole lot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Has anyone played Dead Scare? I must've playtested a version of it before it was PbtA, but it's not doing much for me. Between having hitpoints and rolls-to-roll (on a 6-, it the grenade explodes...33% of the time!), it's another "2d6 seems easy enough!" kind of games.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Golden Bee posted:

Has anyone played Dead Scare? I must've playtested a version of it before it was PbtA, but it's not doing much for me. Between having hitpoints and rolls-to-roll (on a 6-, it the grenade explodes...33% of the time!), it's another "2d6 seems easy enough!" kind of games.

The most I've heard was actually a game design interview with the lead designer that mostly focused on accessibility for gamers with disabilities. Since she's legally blind herself, she knew her stuff vis-a-vis that stuff.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Roxley (the company behind Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload) have a new campaign up today for a re-imagining of Santorini that looks goddamn gorgeous, if you're into abstract strategy games. Really excited to try this one myself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/santorini-learn-it-in-30-seconds-play-it-for-life

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cocolo/kadomaru-the-r-line-card-sleeves?ref=nav_search

So this is a thing. Idk if curved corners are something that would be in demand elsewhere, but they do look nicer than similar typical sleeves. As part of their addons, they're also selling their games and an alternate size of sleeves. Yes, it does look like they're using Kickstarter as an alternate storefront.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Do people really injure themselves on the corners of regular card sleeves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kai Tave posted:

Do people really injure themselves on the corners of regular card sleeves?

I'm picture this in one of those "black and white, over-dramatic" infomercial sequences.

• Locked thread