Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I got a few episodes past "Monday" and have been on a break since. Something definitely falls off after the Syndicate gets killed. I don't know. I'll get back into it soon, I'm sure. It's just a way more noticeable drop than I remembered.

Edit: Oh God I didn't mean to begin a page on a negative note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, it's not like there aren't weird artifacts with Canada serving as the entire lower 48 for 5 seasons before that.

One of my favorites is when they're hunting the predator in "the Everglades" and there's a quick edit where you can see duchovney's breath condensating

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I got a few episodes past "Monday" and have been on a break since. Something definitely falls off after the Syndicate gets killed. I don't know. I'll get back into it soon, I'm sure. It's just a way more noticeable drop than I remembered.

Edit: Oh God I didn't mean to begin a page on a negative note.

The show starts to get way more experimental in season 7 (sometimes to its detriment) but you get good stuff like X-COPS. Hell, you still have a lot of really good episodes in the back half of season 6, and I actually like the three parter that is the season 6 finale/season 7 opener.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Dreamland two parter is the best part of season 6 for me. Michael McKean is such a good actor.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The ending doesn't really add up, though. How come the magic reset wave brings people back to life, un-destroys a gas station, un-fires scully, and wipes everyone's memories, but it doesn't un-buy mulder's waterbed? Complete Hogswallop. No realism at all.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I assumed Mulder already had a waterbed. It just never saw any action.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The ending doesn't really add up, though. How come the magic reset wave brings people back to life, un-destroys a gas station, un-fires scully, and wipes everyone's memories, but it doesn't un-buy mulder's waterbed? Complete Hogswallop. No realism at all.
Mulder got his water bed in the Dreamland 2-parter.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Mulder got his water bed in the Dreamland 2-parter.

Uh... yes, I know. I am talking about the Dreamland 2-parter. What episode did you think I was talking about?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Uh... yes, I know. I am talking about the Dreamland 2-parter. What episode did you think I was talking about?
I caught :downs:. For some reason I thought you were talking about Monday and it's reset button.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The timeline only got corrected for things that happened within the blast radius.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Babylon" was so bad I was completely put off until yesterday and just caught "My Struggle II", I'm not sure what to say that hasn't already been said except that I actually laughed out loud when conservative media freedom fighter Tad O'Malley dropped the truth bombs of MICROWAVE RADIATION and CHEMTRAILS with all loving sincerity. I hope the new series gets a five season order, nobody does conspiracy nut satire better than a true believer.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

McSpanky posted:

"Babylon" was so bad I was completely put off until yesterday and just caught "My Struggle II", I'm not sure what to say that hasn't already been said except that I actually laughed out loud when conservative media freedom fighter Tad O'Malley dropped the truth bombs of MICROWAVE RADIATION and CHEMTRAILS with all loving sincerity. I hope the new series gets a five season order, nobody does conspiracy nut satire better than a true believer.

I think that was one of the things that pervaded My Struggle II. Part of the X-Files magic is saying something with a straight face that nobody with a straight face should be able to say. ("I think this is about witches, Scully"). Then you spend 45 minutes gradually building up the plausible, human element of this bizarre thing and gradually we grow to accept it as part of the show's cosmology.

You can't just say, "CHEMTRAILS, BEES, MICROWAVES" and have it mean anything. The show's whole formula is making you gradually accept a ridiculous premise. When you spit out a couple dozen over the course of the episode and expect anybody to follow along you're completely ignoring why the show works in favor of getting it over with as fast as you can.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Has anyone ever made a super-cut of all of Mulder's one-liners from every season? If not, I'm surprised and someone other than me should get on that.

I'm on S9 now, and Mulder's wry humor is one of the things I miss the most from 8 and 9, though Dogget has his moments. Anyone else think Robert Patrick's New York City accent is weird?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

CSM had some good moments too.

Mulder: 'Interesting company you keep'
CSM: 'No more interesting than your apparent lingerie fetish'

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"Don't try and threaten me, I've watched presidents die" is one of the all-time TV lines.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slate Action posted:

"Don't try and threaten me, I've watched presidents die" is one of the all-time TV lines.

I've never been able to figure that one out, but I think the line's supposed to have that effect.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

I've never been able to figure that one out, but I think the line's supposed to have that effect.

It's later implied that CSM was one of the assassins of JFK, although that episode (Musings of a CSM) is more myth than documentary so we're not sure in the end which of the tales in that episode are true and which aren't.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He says Presidents. Kennedy's the only president assassinated during CSM's lifetime. That's why the line is great, it stops you in your tracks.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He says Presidents. Kennedy's the only president assassinated during CSM's lifetime. That's why the line is great, it stops you in your tracks.

Other countries have Presidents.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm dumb

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't think he means it that way/the show wants it to come across that way. He's the boogeyman of the American Century and he's just tipping you into a deeper level of weird secret history, just for a minute.

I do think it's pretty funny that the embodiment of the American military-industrial complex is played by the most Canadian man on the planet though.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
He could've had a hand in assassinating the many foreign leaders who were assassinated during that time period.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just watched the Lone Gunmen pilot for the first time since probably 2002, and holy poo poo is it eerily prophetic. I remember the plot about flying a plane into the WTC being strangely prescient, but they actually nail the motivations in today's conspiracy theories too - the cold war's over, the war profiteers need to start a war, and all sorts of terrorists worldwide would clamor to take responsibility for flying a plane into the towers. All of that 6 months before 9/11. It's so eerie to watch that I almost wonder if Osama had been watching Fox at the time and pulled the idea from there.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

sticklefifer posted:

I just watched the Lone Gunmen pilot for the first time since probably 2002, and holy poo poo is it eerily prophetic. I remember the plot about flying a plane into the WTC being strangely prescient, but they actually nail the motivations in today's conspiracy theories too - the cold war's over, the war profiteers need to start a war, and all sorts of terrorists worldwide would clamor to take responsibility for flying a plane into the towers. All of that 6 months before 9/11. It's so eerie to watch that I almost wonder if Osama had been watching Fox at the time and pulled the idea from there.

I feel you've missed the point.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
*Presses play on "Teso Dos Bichos" for the first time*

I skipped it on my first runthrough and now it's the closest thing I have to a New X-Files Episode. Could it possibly be worse than season 10?

e: poo poo, it's probably not even the worst episode of season 3. I'd take "a little slow" over the borderline incomprehensible s10 Carter eps any day.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 4, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not worse, just very very boring. And then it gives you Death by Housecats.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

That and Hell Money are the two episodes I've always refused to ever watch again. Plus that thing Gillian Anderson directed in season 7.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Hell Money is really weird because you could almost fit it inside any other sort of procedural just fine. Like it's basically on that line where "ghosts don't really exist...but I'm unsure" that you might find in CSI or whatever.

Also you can really see that the choice of Asian American actors in the 90s was a very small pool. I think pretty much every Asian person with a speaking role had some more famous role later.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel you've missed the point.

What, that Truthers got the idea from a spinoff nobody watched? :v:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm fairly certain you're supposed to assume he's talking about American presidents.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So the reboot was shown on Channel 5 in the UK - meaning it had tonnes of adverts and not very many people will have watched it. It seemed a shame to shove it there but I guess now viacom owns C5 they wanted something "big".

As many have said I liked episode 3. I love Rhys Derby and it was cool to see him in the X Files. Every other episode was pretty awful. Although episode 3 was fun there sure were WAY too many callbacks in it.

In the past when Mulder would go off on some weird explanation it'd always roll it into the episode well so by the end you no longer thought he was being crazy, this series just never managed to do it. It just felt weirdly fan fictiony. I guess it's hard to avoid that after 10 years but it's a shame.
In the old ones we sat and thought "Okay that explanation is a bit off the wall" and they made it work, they made us think he knew what he was talking about. This one they never "earned" it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

So the reboot was shown on Channel 5 in the UK - meaning it had tonnes of adverts and not very many people will have watched it. It seemed a shame to shove it there but I guess now viacom owns C5 they wanted something "big".

As many have said I liked episode 3. I love Rhys Derby and it was cool to see him in the X Files. Every other episode was pretty awful. Although episode 3 was fun there sure were WAY too many callbacks in it.

In the past when Mulder would go off on some weird explanation it'd always roll it into the episode well so by the end you no longer thought he was being crazy, this series just never managed to do it. It just felt weirdly fan fictiony. I guess it's hard to avoid that after 10 years but it's a shame.
In the old ones we sat and thought "Okay that explanation is a bit off the wall" and they made it work, they made us think he knew what he was talking about. This one they never "earned" it.

The thing I've tried to keep in mind for the new episodes is context: The show aired before things like Reddit and Youtube where you could splay out your 40 minute homemade conspiracy video for all to see (and had a huge hand in spawning the pop culture movement responsible for it), and it also happened before all the X-Files copycats did the same ideas to death for years. I don't envy the writers who had to come up with something new, and that didn't just sound like some nut ranting online. I assume that's what Tad was supposed to represent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

The thing I've tried to keep in mind for the new episodes is context: The show aired before things like Reddit and Youtube where you could splay out your 40 minute homemade conspiracy video for all to see (and had a huge hand in spawning the pop culture movement responsible for it), and it also happened before all the X-Files copycats did the same ideas to death for years. I don't envy the writers who had to come up with something new, and that didn't just sound like some nut ranting online. I assume that's what Tad was supposed to represent.

In the old episodes I never felt Fox was ranting. His conclusions were always perculiar, but it was never just a rant like it was in the first episode of this.

Especially since in that same episode it felt like he was saying "Oh it turns out everything I thought was wrong!!" and it happened in 25 minutes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

In the old episodes I never felt Fox was ranting. His conclusions were always perculiar, but it was never just a rant like it was in the first episode of this.

Especially since in that same episode it felt like he was saying "Oh it turns out everything I thought was wrong!!" and it happened in 25 minutes.

Well again, context - it's not the 90s anymore. Mulder is way more jaded now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My wife and I watched fight club last night (the episode, not the movie) and it was entertaining and not as bad as I remembered. It had a pretty big cheese factor but it was still pretty good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fight Club is a really mediocre episode with some really excellent bits like the doubles for Scully and Mulder. When I watch that one with my parents my father really believed they replaced Mulder and Scully for an episode and was hoping no one would notice lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I took it to mean that he'd been present at their deathbeds, not that he'd personally killed them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Well again, context - it's not the 90s anymore. Mulder is way more jaded now.

It still didn't sell it to me. I know he's older. But if I'm meant to think he's now mentally ill then I don't trust any of his conclusions any more.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Taear posted:

But if I'm meant to think he's now mentally ill then I don't trust any of his conclusions any more.

Um. Him being somewhat mentally ill has been hinted at in the series the whole time, and there's plenty of mental illness that doesn't preclude people reaching valid conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

computer parts posted:

I think pretty much every Asian person with a speaking role had some more famous role later.

Or earlier, in the case of James Wong.

• Locked thread