Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

The french developed a literal mechanism for bringing powerful but useless unelected officials to heel.

Where is CI and his guillotine gif when you need it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I forget whether this is stated outright, but the structure of the book can basically be subdivided as (1) the conventional neoliberal "there is no alternative" historiography; (2) examples where the neoliberal policy package has been unnecessary; (3) examples where the neoliberal policy package has been insufficient

The best filter.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Slightly Toasted posted:

Oh yay MB liberals are announcing 5-6 years of deficits too now

I can't wait to hear my family tell me why this makes them better and not just a bunch of rookies trying to ape federal success

this is probably the most optimal time to run a deficit in the history of our country . there is nothing wrong with running a deficit when you can borrow at near 0 interest with near 0 to negative inflation

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

McGavin posted:

The best filter.

Who said anything about a filter?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

The french developed a literal mechanism for bringing powerful but useless unelected officials to heel.

Could you give us some pointers on how to set this up?

I think Canadians should get right to work on this, chop chop!

e:

jsoh posted:

this is probably the most optimal time to run a deficit in the history of our country . there is nothing wrong with running a deficit when you can borrow at near 0 interest with near 0 to negative inflation

:ssh: you're going to ruin the panic!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jsoh posted:

Spotted the realtor(tm).

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Canadian Napoleon's gonna be great, can't wait to freeze to death in the retreat from Alaska.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Constant Hamprince posted:

Canadian Napoleon's gonna be great, can't wait to freeze to death in the retreat from Alaska.

Please. We will march on Russia like a proper Napoleon. (Then drown in the summer, to mix it up.)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

jsoh posted:

We could loan ourselves the money at zero interest if we actually wanted to. The entire fiscal framework of the government is mostly a pantomime designed to prevent what the business sector would perceive as government over reach (or, if you ask somebody with a more technocratic perspective like Pinterest Mom, they'll claim it's because of concerns about rampant inflation).

The trouble with these deficits is that much of the money is spent to pay off political favours rather than making some of the smarter long term investments that would really benefit us, and then quite often the costs of deficit spending become an excuse to cut services, raise fees and lay off workers. The Ontario and Canadian governments went deep into deficit and probably did help reduce the full impact of the last economic downturn by doing so, but the lives of most Canadians are mostly unaffected by all this and now the bill for that spending is being paid by any government dependent interest group who lacks sufficient organizational muscle to defend its interests.

Personally I'm glad that the Canadian public is showing less concern about maintaining balanced budgets but frankly I do not trust the liberals enough to get all that enthusiastic about any economic policy they roll out. At the end of the day I think what really matters is who owes favours to whom. Most economic theory, by the time it reaches the point of actually influencing government behavior, is at least partially just an obfuscating veil to hide whatever agenda the government is pursing behind closed doors. That isn't to suggest that concerns about inflation or unemployment or productivity are totally fabricated or that economics is nothing but propaganda, but in practice I believe that it's mostly a mistake to try and understand government policy by appealing to theory. Under ordinary conditions theory is usually just whatever it needs to be for the governing party to keep its most powerful friends happy. Usually the rare good policy initiative we get is just a lucky accident where some interest group or some swing group of voters happened to want a handout that coincided with the public good.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Today I passed a truck carrying two Saudi export LAV IIIs on the 401 heading to Montreal, it was weird to see the sanctity of government contracts in person. I can't wait to see them show up on YouTube shooting at civilians/getting blown up by a TOW.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All the guys I work with are getting all pissy about "GAHH LIEBERAL DEFICIT" and conveniently forget the massive deficit that PMSH ran the first year in office.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MA-Horus posted:

All the guys I work with are getting all pissy about "GAHH LIEBERAL DEFICIT" and conveniently forget the massive deficit that PMSH ran the first year in office.

It was pretty easy to forget

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Ikantski posted:

It was pretty easy to forget

Haha yeah like that time when Harper ran on an anti-corruption, pro-accountability platform. Good times my man good times. *lights fire to stack of PMO memos*

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's really funny in retrospect seeing how much Harper's attitude to accountability and transparency changed once he realized he was going to be in office for more than a couple years of minority government. One of his big signature moves was establishing the Parliamentary Budget Officer, and you can just imagine how much of a headache he thought it would cause the next Liberal government. Except the Liberals turned out to be so incompetent that Harper kept winning and suddenly the PBO turned out to be such a huge head ache that Harper ended up slashing the budget of the watch dog agency that he himself had established.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
At least the creation of the office has emboldened Kevin Page to keep tabs on the federal budget even after he got the boot.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/bruceanderson/status/714536492148858881

:allears:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lol all conservatives are trash bastards, no exceptions

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I agree that Mackay is probably the best, and O'Leary is probably the least distasteful of all the other candidates (and isn't that a sad state of affairs?). What are you hoping for? A non-conservative to lead the Conservative Party? Sadly, the CPC is not quite so dumb as the NDP when it comes to picking a leader, so I don't foresee that coming to pass.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

I agree that Mackay is probably the best, and O'Leary is probably the least distasteful of all the other candidates (and isn't that a sad state of affairs?). What are you hoping for? A non-conservative to lead the Conservative Party? Sadly, the CPC is not quite so dumb as the NDP when it comes to picking a leader, so I don't foresee that coming to pass.

Not really, but it would be hilarious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BGrifter posted:

Not really, but it would be hilarious.

Stockwell [Doris] Day is one of the dumbest people on God's green earth. A potted plant would be a better leader than he was or would be again.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PT6A posted:

Stockwell [Doris] Day is one of the dumbest people on God's green earth. A potted plant would be a better leader than he was or would be again.

I know, I lived in his riding. Having him ride back into federal politics on the back of Barney the Dinosaur would be fantastic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I know, I lived in his riding. Having him ride back into federal politics on the back of Barney the Dinosaur would be fantastic.

No part of him being a meaningful part of federal politics would be fantastic, actually.

EDIT: Isn't he a young-earth creationist? gently caress that poo poo in the ear, we can't let people who are that mentally defective be involved in any significant part of the legislative process.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

Media covering the Day campaign bus, nicknamed "Prayer Force One", whistled The Flintstones theme song to mock the idea that humans and dinosaurs co-existed.

Sometimes you're good people, Media.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How is O'Leary less distasteful than Kenney or Chong? Out of that group, Kenney seems to be the most competent and Chong the least, uh, inflexible, I guess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

How is O'Leary less distasteful than Kenney or Chong? Out of that group, Kenney seems to be the most competent and Chong the least, uh, inflexible, I guess.

Because O'Leary doesn't have a massive boner for Jesus.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

eXXon posted:

O'Leary is 'No True Conservative™', and thus, may be less passively malign than the rest.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
O'Leary is definitely my choice:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...?service=mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqemytQ5QA

Truly, the man is a national treasure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

O'Leary is my choice if Mackay doesn't get the nod, because I'm politically gay: I'd rather an rear end in a top hat like O'Leary than a oval office like Kenney.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
CPC: A low-rent Trump impersonator is our second choice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

CPC: A low-rent Trump impersonator is our second choice.

He's not a racist, and he's not a bright orange colour. Hardly a Trump impersonator.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's not racist, that we know of, yet. But he's not yet leading the party that tried to turn a head garment into a wedge issue.

Read that novel of a Globe and Mail article I posted, he's certainly in the same business league as Trump.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

He's not racist, that we know of, yet. But he's not yet leading the party that tried to turn a head garment into a wedge issue.

Tried and failed spectacularly, I should say. I don't think the CPC will continue to fish in that pond.

Let's face it: our political climate is very, very different from what exists in the US. If only because we have fewer complete bumpkins to foul the process up, for the most part.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You do remember that Trump was a media personality not known for racism and authoritarian leanings until 8-9 months ago right?

Lol if you don't think O'Leary is taking notes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Trumps business has an extremely long history of being racist as gently caress.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jsoh posted:

Trumps business has an extremely long history of being racist as gently caress.

Yeah but I don't think people outside NYC really know that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Chong seems about as reasonable and competent as the CPC has to offer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah but I don't think people outside NYC really know that.

There was a kerfuffle here in Toronto when it came out how the (then newly opened) Trump hotel treated people of colour.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

There was a kerfuffle here in Toronto when it came out how the (then newly opened) Trump hotel treated people of colour.

Go on... Only thing I'd heard about it is the horrible construction and that it produced the best 0 star restaurant review the Globe has ever written.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle21833277/

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 29, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A man of Indian descent was turned away from the restaurant, when the article describing his experience came out a flurry of similar experiences came out.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1902749/man-says-he-was-turned-away-from-trump-hotel-restaurant-due-to-his-turban/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Ah, the Alan Keyes constant at work again.