Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spincube posted:

Given that Android already has an API to determine what the user's doing - walking, cycling, driving etc. - couldn't this be whipped up into an app? If Location Services reports that the user is driving, and [messaging client] reports a message has come in, notify using TTS and ask whether to speak it aloud. Once that's done, ask if the user wants to reply.

...maybe someone at Google honestly thinks 'handles communication while driving' should be a selling point for Android Auto :sigh:

I read a study that texting while driving, even over voice or having text written to you is as dangerous as actually texting with the phone in your hand while driving. Google doesn't need to give more people ways to kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I read a study that texting while driving, even over voice or having text written to you is as dangerous as actually texting with the phone in your hand while driving. Google doesn't need to give more people ways to kill themselves.

Yeah, it's the act of paying attention to something else that is most distracting, not whether it's holding a phone to your head vs using a BT headset, or texting by voice vs keyboard.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

broken clock opsec posted:

That's basically it. Instead of doing their own Car Home Ultra they decided to write Android for head units even though most people would far rather use their phones than their garbage head units.

Android Auto actually runs on your phone. Your garbage head unit is just input/output.

It is disappointing that apps have to be Android Auto enabled to do anything on there, and that there is no wireless support. I think I would have rather them treated it more like Android Wear with some smarts on the head unit and it just syncs wirelessly from the phone.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Well. I sit corrected. I did just sideload wear back on to get the thing working again, and submitted a bug report. It was an interesting unintended consequence though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, exactly how retarded would putting Android N on my only phone be? I don't really mind bugs; what I would mind is a bug stopping me from getting an important call or text. Are the bugs in the 'your phone might explode' category or more 'sometimes this app won't do the splitscreen thing' kind?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Daily Forecast posted:

So, exactly how retarded would putting Android N on my only phone be? I don't really mind bugs; what I would mind is a bug stopping me from getting an important call or text. Are the bugs in the 'your phone might explode' category or more 'sometimes this app won't do the splitscreen thing' kind?

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If you need your phone to function as one, don't install alpha software.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

It is a very early build meant to allow developers to test the way their apps work with some of the major changes coming up in Android N. It is only by the most forgiving of terms "feature complete" and you should absolutely be expecting your phone to break, to need a restart and/or boot loop regularly based on the usage of untested or unoptimized apps. You should not in any way be trying to use it on your only phone. It is test software, a test bed for developers. It is not an update.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Jesus christ, all of you managed to answer the question in a different, yet equally condescending way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You asked how retarded it would be. What did you expect?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Hi guys, how retarded?
"Real retarded."
Y'all are retarded.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nocal posted:

Hi guys, how retarded?
"Real retarded."
Y'all are retarded.

Stop being mean. :colbert:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Jesus christ, all of you managed to answer the question in a different, yet equally condescending way.

First response was slightly condescending but typical (e.g., if you have to ask how to do something advanced, you shouldn't be doing it), but the other two were completely helpful (if you need your phone to function, don't install it; it is only for developers, not for general use). Take a break from this thread or worrying about phones or something, you're really kinda losing it lately.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Never mind developer previews, I don't even consider Android "stable" until at least one or two point-versions in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daily Forecast posted:

Not really, but that feeling of shame you're actually feeling is what you get from asking about installing developer preview software on the only phone you have.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

It is a very early build meant to allow developers to test the way their apps work with some of the major changes coming up in Android N. It is only by the most forgiving of terms "feature complete" and you should absolutely be expecting your phone to break, to need a restart and/or boot loop regularly based on the usage of untested or unoptimized apps. You should not in any way be trying to use it on your only phone. It is test software, a test bed for developers. It is not an update.

This is a great, informative answer. Probably more than an idiotic question like that (which has already been answered ITT multiple times) deserves, but some of us are saints I suppose.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
For reference, I've had Android N on my Nexus 9 since they released the developers preview. I've noticed a few issues with a few apps not resolving themselves properly when shoved into splitscreen mode, but other than that it seems to be working as expected.

BUT I hold this thing 1 or maybe 2 total hours per day. I would never put it on my phone that my boss or my family uses to reach me if they need something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

beerinator posted:

For reference, I've had Android N on my Nexus 9 since they released the developers preview. I've noticed a few issues with a few apps not resolving themselves properly when shoved into splitscreen mode, but other than that it seems to be working as expected.

BUT I hold this thing 1 or maybe 2 total hours per day. I would never put it on my phone that my boss or my family uses to reach me if they need something.

You touched on it (you'd never put it on your phone) so I'm hoping you aren't going to take this as me calling you out because I'm definitely not, but to elaborate on what you're saying - a phone has a much more complex radio setup than a tablet. In addition to WiFi it needs to handle 2G, 3G, and LTE signals and shuffle between them to maintain the best signal. Voice is on top of that. Then there's how SMS and cell-based alerts work at the system level. The fact that it works (-ish) on a tablet is absolutely no indication that it will handle a phone with similar results. You might brick your drat device into recovery mode the first time you get a voicemail. This is not an update, this is early-stage test software meant to help get app creators up to speed. The guy who said it was like a car without wheels is probably spot-on: you aren't meant to loving tool around on the drat road with it, you are meant to see how the engine handles different octane gasoline and see how it lasts without oil in it, and how the drive train handles bad clutch behavior, all while up on loving blocks in the garage.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you try to call 911 on Android N it electrocutes you in the balls instead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

It doesn't do that, it just calls the cops and not fire/ambulance.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FAUXTON posted:

It doesn't do that, it just calls the cops and not fire/ambulance.

Well that's even worse, why would they add a feature that causes you to be murdered?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

Well that's even worse, why would they add a feature that causes you to be murdered?

Because they'd rather it end that way than seeing natural selection take its course with these types of people, nobody wants to watch someone die of thirst because they couldn't find their way out of an elevator for example.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Sold

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How does the camera in the Moto X Pure compare to the Moto X 2014?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Have you tried dialling the new & improved emergency services on Marshmallow?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 ...3

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

spincube posted:

Have you tried dialling the new & improved emergency services on Marshmallow?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 ...3

mmm yes, I also watch television

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe we could watch TV together while I show you the easter egg in the dialer app :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spincube posted:

Maybe we could watch TV together while I show you the easter egg in the dialer app :)

The Easter egg in the dialer app is Google delivering you an actual egg in the mail.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

spincube posted:

Oh my

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

spincube posted:

I don't know what this means but it sounds sexy so I'm in. Just don't fastball my heart into the wall. :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

spincube posted:

"Just rub my Channel Up slider a bit, ill crank the volume."

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I'm back. Any recommendations on decent micro USB cables that are around 10 or 12 feet? Not necessarily looking for some kind of pure diamond platinum encrusted poo poo because they're just going to get abused anyway.

But when I look at Monoprice and elsewhere there's an overwhelmingly confusing amount of options and grades or whatever. Just want to order 2 or 3 cheap ones that work + charge my phone with the OEM adaptor at max rate.

LG G3, if that matters.

Also looking to purchase a second battery. Available on Amazon are knockoffs or Asian versions claimed to be authentic with lovely reviews. Also 3rd party ones by Anker and MPJ that have better reviews. I don't mind them being non-OEM as the sellers are being honest vs most of the "authentic" looking ones get bad reviews/called names/are counterfeit/etc.

Don't need OEM, just need reliable cables and a decent non-explodey, non-chemical ooze leaking backup battery! Thanks :)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anker is a good brand for both cables and batteries.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

fartzone_42069 posted:

I'm back. Any recommendations on decent micro USB cables that are around 10 or 12 feet? Not necessarily looking for some kind of pure diamond platinum encrusted poo poo because they're just going to get abused anyway.

But when I look at Monoprice and elsewhere there's an overwhelmingly confusing amount of options and grades or whatever. Just want to order 2 or 3 cheap ones that work + charge my phone with the OEM adaptor at max rate.

LG G3, if that matters.

Also looking to purchase a second battery. Available on Amazon are knockoffs or Asian versions claimed to be authentic with lovely reviews. Also 3rd party ones by Anker and MPJ that have better reviews. I don't mind them being non-OEM as the sellers are being honest vs most of the "authentic" looking ones get bad reviews/called names/are counterfeit/etc.

Don't need OEM, just need reliable cables and a decent non-explodey, non-chemical ooze leaking backup battery! Thanks :)

I had trouble with Anker batteries and my LG G3. They seem to be prone to dying when attempting a photo with the flash. It didn't matter if the battery was fully charged, the flash would fire and the phone would turn off. When you attempted to turn the phone back on, it would throw up a warning about the battery and not boot. This really sucked for me as this occurred when I was on vacation and didn't have any other batteries with me.

For what it's worth, Anker did replace the battery under warranty but those also exhibited the same bricking qualities.

I ended up getting a Nexus 6 anyways. :v:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Interesting. Can't wait to get my discounted upgrade. I saw someone's camera and images with their G4 and just drat...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Samsung is up to some interesting poo poo

http://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-advanced-ui-new-touchwiz-is-a-ui-giant-leap-forward-two-steps-back/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clearly they brought their Pyongyang office in for the new coldplay-forward design

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I love the Settings, and then the Settings for Things Coming Over the Horizon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

I love the Settings, and then the Settings for Things Coming Over the Horizon.

Eh, I love giving Samsung UI designers poo poo where poo poo is due,, but it's pretty obvious that's to change the settings of the notification shade.

If Google ever flips the coin or uses their divining rod to decide to actually make the System UI tuner a real thing, I don't know they will do much better. Right now, a wrench icon on top of the current gear icon to tell you to dive into the settings two levels deep to adjust what's in the notification shade is a bit clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I love giving Samsung UI designers poo poo where poo poo is due,, but it's pretty obvious that's to change the settings of the notification shade.

If Google ever flips the coin or uses their divining rod to decide to actually make the System UI tuner a real thing, I don't know they will do much better. Right now, a wrench icon on top of the current gear icon to tell you to dive into the settings two levels deep to adjust what's in the notification shade is a bit clunky.

Looks more like settings for morning people