Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Drain it first imo but it should be good to use tomorrow. Also, how can you be too lazy to make rice? Rice is the easiest thing to cook, you just put it in a rice cooker. Not trying to make fun of you or anything but I'm seriously confused here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I stopped using a cooker because I only have one of the cheap ones and I'm not crazy about how it comes out (not that stovetop is all that harder). It's also about making stuff to go around with the rice :effort:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Fooley posted:

I stopped using a cooker because I only have one of the cheap ones and I'm not crazy about how it comes out (not that stovetop is all that harder). It's also about making stuff to go around with the rice :effort:

Can't go wrong with just a cracked egg on rice. It's my breakfast when I'm especially lazy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

net work error posted:

Can't go wrong with just a cracked egg on rice. It's my breakfast when I'm especially lazy.

Put a dash of soy sauce on it. Also, not at all Japanese but I've been putting a little hot sauce on top lately too. I like goya because it's vinegary, or chili garlic cholula.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

Put a dash of soy sauce on it. Also, not at all Japanese but I've been putting a little hot sauce on top lately too. I like goya because it's vinegary, or chili garlic cholula.

I do soy sauce and some shichimi too for my spicy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

net work error posted:

I make bacon egg fried rice. Fry a bit of chopped bacon, toss the rice in the fat and put a bit of brown on it, bowl, farm fresh egg on top. Little bit of soy sauce and sessame oil on top. Keeps you full till dinner.

(This is not exactly traditional Japanese style cooking, mind you)

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Philip Rivers posted:

I made some onigiri stuffed with umeboshi tonight. So good and easy. Anyone have any other vegetarian fillings they like in onigiri?

Adding to bringmyfishback's stellar reccomendations, any kinpira (saute/simmer tech) style dish is my favorite, especially kinpira dishes with hijiki, burdock (gobo), lotus root (renkon), and pretty much any mushroom as the base vegetable. They're a savory-sweet option that I prefer to even fish for stuffing onigiri.

for sale fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried making tuna salad onigiri recently, but I hosed it up. :saddowns: I can't quite get the thickness of the rice right such that it doesn't immediately fall apart. I think the greasiness of the mayo might contribute to that too. I should also buy some nori...

Kinpira loving rules, too. One of my favorite side dishes to make is just plain ol' stir-braised carrots. Shred them in the Benriner, stir fry with some rayu and salt, braise in sake and soy sauce, reduce, then toss in some sesame seeds. loving delicious, and really good for . I need to learn how to make more than just carrot kinpira, though. I need to learn how to cook anything more complicated than carrots, actually.

Anyway, what are some good variations for tamagoyaki? I'm having trouble making good versions of it, since I can barely make more than 2-3 layers of the drat thing, but I see cool looking variations like shredded carrot, nori, mushrooms, crab sticks, etc. I made some with crappy Sargento cheese in it and it ended up being really greasy and gross when cold, so that's not happening again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you use a onigiri mold? My onigiri vastly improved since I bought one.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Try this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJZuQvmSR2k

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I tried making tuna salad onigiri recently, but I hosed it up. :saddowns: I can't quite get the thickness of the rice right such that it doesn't immediately fall apart. I think the greasiness of the mayo might contribute to that too. I should also buy some nori...

Kinpira loving rules, too. One of my favorite side dishes to make is just plain ol' stir-braised carrots. Shred them in the Benriner, stir fry with some rayu and salt, braise in sake and soy sauce, reduce, then toss in some sesame seeds. loving delicious, and really good for . I need to learn how to make more than just carrot kinpira, though. I need to learn how to cook anything more complicated than carrots, actually.

Anyway, what are some good variations for tamagoyaki? I'm having trouble making good versions of it, since I can barely make more than 2-3 layers of the drat thing, but I see cool looking variations like shredded carrot, nori, mushrooms, crab sticks, etc. I made some with crappy Sargento cheese in it and it ended up being really greasy and gross when cold, so that's not happening again.

Disclaimer : I am not Japanese, but Korean. English is not my native language so please excuse any grammar mistake.

Koreans love tuna mayo rice balls, and rolled eggs are popular side dish too.

What type of rice did you use? I think Japanese and Korean are the only nations who uses short grain that becomes sticky after cooking as main staple. So I never had rice falling apart problem.
There are times I just make rice ball and eat without wrapping in seaweed too.

When I make rice ball, I just add enough mayo to hold tuna together. I don't use the mold anymore though.
Are you mixing tuna and rice together or?

What I like to put in center of rolled egg are
Fish roe, stir fried tiny anchovy, ham, nori, shredded bardock roots...
if I want to add cheese, I eat right after. Not so yummy when it gets cold.
I also add little bit of finely chopped broccoli, carrot, onion when mixing eggs together.

Do you use square shaped fan? I think it is easier than round one if you are beginner.
See you make your first 2-3 layered bit. Put it into corner of fan, add more egg mix then fold it over previously made layer. That's how i make it thick. Sorry for my bad explanation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should probably buy a mold, but I don't make onigiri often. Maybe I'll search for one next I stop by H-Mart.

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

Disclaimer : I am not Japanese, but Korean. English is not my native language so please excuse any grammar mistake.

Koreans love tuna mayo rice balls, and rolled eggs are popular side dish too.

What type of rice did you use? I think Japanese and Korean are the only nations who uses short grain that becomes sticky after cooking as main staple. So I never had rice falling apart problem.
There are times I just make rice ball and eat without wrapping in seaweed too.

When I make rice ball, I just add enough mayo to hold tuna together. I don't use the mold anymore though.
Are you mixing tuna and rice together or?

What I like to put in center of rolled egg are
Fish roe, stir fried tiny anchovy, ham, nori, shredded bardock roots...
if I want to add cheese, I eat right after. Not so yummy when it gets cold.
I also add little bit of finely chopped broccoli, carrot, onion when mixing eggs together.

Do you use square shaped fan? I think it is easier than round one if you are beginner.
See you make your first 2-3 layered bit. Put it into corner of fan, add more egg mix then fold it over previously made layer. That's how i make it thick. Sorry for my bad explanation.

No worries, I getcha! I was using Botan calrose rice, which is pretty much the type of rice I wanna use, so I don't think the rice is the problem. I screwed up by making it too thin on one side and the tunamayo spilled out, then when I tried to fix it it spilled out the other end,and then I got frustrated and just mashed the whole thing together and made it vaguely triangle shaped. My technique sucks, so I think I'll just use a mold next time.

I do want more green and red/orange in my eggs, so the minced broccoli and carrot sounds great! Do you add broth to your eggs, or is it just the eggs themselves? I've heard that adding some sort of broth makes them fluffier, but I've never tried.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Does anyone have a good recipe or information on Mazesoba? Everywhere I look it up seems to suggest it's popular or trendy street food but doesn't have a recipe.

The way my local restaurant makes it is in kind of a creamy, thicker sauce with roast pork, bamboo shoots, and scallion- sort of a japanese carbonara. I'm just not sure what the creamy component is.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I learned a lot.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I should probably buy a mold, but I don't make onigiri often. Maybe I'll search for one next I stop by H-Mart.

No worries, I getcha! I was using Botan calrose rice, which is pretty much the type of rice I wanna use, so I don't think the rice is the problem. I screwed up by making it too thin on one side and the tunamayo spilled out, then when I tried to fix it it spilled out the other end,and then I got frustrated and just mashed the whole thing together and made it vaguely triangle shaped. My technique sucks, so I think I'll just use a mold next time.

I do want more green and red/orange in my eggs, so the minced broccoli and carrot sounds great! Do you add broth to your eggs, or is it just the eggs themselves? I've heard that adding some sort of broth makes them fluffier, but I've never tried.

Calrose is yummy too. I like it and will do the job.

It is trial and error. The more you do it, the less you need mold. I also use spam can to make rice ball or spam musubi. Just do not forget to put plastic wrap in first before start to making it.

Sometimes I do add broth. Sometimes I do not. It really depend on what I want to put in or how fluffy I want it to be. If I want to make side dish savory steamed egg, I add broth because it is smooth and fluffy when eat.

If I want to make egg mixture more smooth, I run egg mixture through a round shaped tool with mesh before adding stock and chopped vegetables ... I am not sure what is the name of this kitchen utensil, sorry.
But once you do that, it will get rid of some white bits that refuse to mix properly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've seen those tools before, but never used one. I'm still getting used to cooking tamagoyaki and eggs in general, so I'll wait on using one of those until I know what I'm doing :saddowns:

I recently got a meat pounder, pressure-pickler, and some divider cups. :getin: I'm gonna try and design my lunches better, so far they've been kind of underwhelming due to a lack of variety and really tasty stuff. My current repertoire is:

bento bullshit posted:

Meats: panfried chicken thigh, ginger pork, ginger bulgogi, negimaki (sort of), carrot-stuffed chikuwa (these are pretty cool), meatloaf miniburgers, shiozake
Eggs: the ubiquitous tamagoyaki (with various fillings like minced carrot/broccoli, soy sauce, etc.), iri tamago (basically super-scrambled eggs), deviled eggs, sunny-side-up on rice
Veggie sides: kohaku namasu (daikon-carrot vinegar salad), carrot kinpira (stir-braised julienned carrot), green beans in ground sesame seed dressing, sweet potato, various namul (spinach, collards, etc.), various pickles (cabbage, carrot, daikon, cucumber, etc., maybe i'll do hot peppers one day), some "cooked to death" sweet (red/orange/yellow) peppers that i actually don't really like unfortunately, broccoli florets for dividers, peas everywhere put them in your rice put them in your eggs put them in your peas

I still feel like my lunches lack variety and visual appeal. I've also got a bunch of chicken tenders and such stuck in my freezer that I don't know what to do with; at one point I was gonna use them to make really lame karaage but it turns out that fried things are unhealthy and high in calories, who knew! So I didn't make karaage. But I still wanna do something with them...

I've also thought about incorporating some Korean banchan into the list. It's basically a whole bunch of veggie sides, which I remember enjoying last time I went out to a Korean restaurant. Learning those would drastically improve the list of veggie sides.

What have people seen in bento lunches? Has anyone put their own together? What are good rules to go by? I've read the articles on justbento.com, and it's certainly got me started, but I wanna here other people's experiences too.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I've seen those tools before, but never used one. I'm still getting used to cooking tamagoyaki and eggs in general, so I'll wait on using one of those until I know what I'm doing :saddowns:

I recently got a meat pounder, pressure-pickler, and some divider cups. :getin: I'm gonna try and design my lunches better, so far they've been kind of underwhelming due to a lack of variety and really tasty stuff. My current repertoire is:

I still feel like my lunches lack variety and visual appeal. I've also got a bunch of chicken tenders and such stuck in my freezer that I don't know what to do with; at one point I was gonna use them to make really lame karaage but it turns out that fried things are unhealthy and high in calories, who knew! So I didn't make karaage. But I still wanna do something with them...

I've also thought about incorporating some Korean banchan into the list. It's basically a whole bunch of veggie sides, which I remember enjoying last time I went out to a Korean restaurant. Learning those would drastically improve the list of veggie sides.

What have people seen in bento lunches? Has anyone put their own together? What are good rules to go by? I've read the articles on justbento.com, and it's certainly got me started, but I wanna here other people's experiences too.

Growing up, I have eaten home made lunch boxes thru out my educational years.

You wake up early and cook side dish and put it in (this is what my umma did a lot) or use last night's banchan (as in put some aside before you serve) but you still need to pack it in the morning.

Normally my umma put 2-4 side dishes in, with soup in the winter.

When growing up, we did not have access to fridge at school so during summer, you gotta make sure you only pack with things that do not go bad easily. So let things cool down before you pack....

With meat dishes like bulgogi, umma would cook it and she added little bit of starch in the end so the marinade would stick to the meat.
Grilled fish, she would coat it in flour to keep shape and flavor inside then cook.

I start work real early - 630am...
So I usually put side some of main before I serve. And in the morning, I just pack.
It also helps if you make week's worth od banchan in the weekend too.

Please send me a pm and I will give you a list of what I normally put it in mine.

It really is not that hard to pack lunch...
Although I kind of wish companies here provide lunch too.... sigh....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've definitely learned that I have to get up early to make lunches...ugh. Worth it, though. I'm definitely taking you up on that PM offer, I've gotta expand my side dish rep! That, and I haven't had Korean food in a long time...

I want to show off, so this is what a typical lunch looks like:

quote:

ginger pork (was way too thick) with pickled cabbage, iri tamago (scrambled egg) on rice, collard greens namul (sesame salad dressing), savory broth tamagoyaki (rolled omelette), fish cake tubes stuffed with carrots, daikon-carrot rice vinegar salad with dried cranberries

I'm trying to hit about a 1:1:1 veg:meat:carb ratio, and to keep the color variation up. I hear that's important to properly balancing a bento. Also divider cupppp :3:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pollyanna posted:

I want to show off, so this is what a typical lunch looks like:

that's it, I need to get up earlier and make stuff like that!
Apart from the fact that I want to show of as well, there's the fact that I'm hungry and all

great ideas here, I'm going to try and get my lunches beyond the regular cheese sandwiches...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I definitely wrecked the shogayaki, namul, chikuwa, and iri tamago in that picture - but the tamagoyaki came out really bland and unappetizing. :( It tasted underseasoned or something, no real flavor to it, and combined with the cold, it felt kinda gross. The kohaku namasu benefits from having some cranberries in it, but the taste and smell of rice vinegar is still wayyyyyy too strong for me. Although I may have used too much when I was putting it together - maybe I'll try again and actually measure the ingredients this time! :v:

The tamagoyaki, sadly, is just disappointing. How much dashi stock are you supposed to use? Sake, mirin, soy sauce, all that? It felt like biting into a watery egg white cake or something. Definitely not as flavorful as I would have wanted.

I had more leftovers than I wanted, so today's only a partial success. Doesn't help that I took Ritalin in the morning so my appetite was totally gone, but still.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry to say this but Japanese food without sugar just isn't going to taste good, in my opinion. It's so important to so many dishes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've noticed...I was weirded out by the concept of a sweetened omelette, even though I really like iri tamago, so when I first had it I decided to favor savory dishes instead. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work out for eggs :saddowns: I'll have to up the sugar content for the eggs, which is an odd concept to think about. Maybe I'll just make a cake :v:

Hmm, maybe if I figure out a savory sauce to cover the omelette in, it'll be okay...?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 15, 2016

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pollyanna posted:

I've noticed...I was weirded out by the concept of a sweetened omelette, even though I really like iri tamago, so when I first had it I decided to favor savory dishes instead. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work out for eggs :saddowns: I'll have to up the sugar content for the eggs, which is an odd concept to think about. Maybe I'll just make a cake :v:

Hmm, maybe if I figure out a savory sauce to cover the omelette in, it'll be okay...?

I feel like this is going to be hard, since most savory Japanese dishes use it too. It's just not a cuisine you're going to get the full effect of if you're not cooking with sugar, from my perspective. You're certainly welcome to try but I think it's always going to be somewhat disappointing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, sugar actually does make things taste quite a bit nicer. I guess I'll just have to pair them up with some less sugary side dishes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That reminds me, actually - I bought a pickle press recently, one of these. I've tried pickling a few things in it, like carrot, cabbage, and cucumber. The carrot and cabbage came out okay-ish but were way too salty, so I reduced the amount of salt to ~2% of the veg weight for the cucumbers I did today. I let them sit for about 12 hours and tightened every once in a while, and I just took some out...they still just taste like cucumbers. Not very pickle-y at all. They don't have much flavor to them and they're definitely not what I would have expected from something called "pickles".

How do people usually use these things? Is it literally just "salt, press, sit for a day", or is there more nuance to it? I would love having easy access to pickled vegetables whenever I want, but I don't think I'm getting this right :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are you expecting it to be like standard American pickles? Japanese ones are pretty different. American pickles get a lot of flavor from herbs and such more than the actual pickling. Japanese ones don't have the herbs, often have no flavoring at all and are just sort of a subtly soured/salty version of the normal vegetables.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, not really. I know they're not the same thing at all. But I do want flavor to them - the cucumbers just taste like watery cucumbers and not much else at all. Some way to give them a particular taste would be great, but maybe that's not the intent. What do people usually include in the pressing process? I'm guessing stuff like herbs and spices aren't involved?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Let them sit longer. 12 hours isn't going to pickle much of anything. A week's usually your minimum to get any kind of pickly flavors.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got rid of the cucumbers and jalapenos, unfortunately. I don't think I can afford to let my pickle press be taken up for a week by them, I have to pickle other things for this week's lunch options. So far so good on those, by the way, I'm working some Korean side dishes into it too - and considering other cuisines like Indian or Thai for proteins as well. Need to figure out how to pan fry chicken nuggets, too.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
In the future you can focus on quick pickle, or asazuke recipes, whose recipes have a range of around 1-6 hours. Many of them are namasu-style, meaning they focus on very thinly cut or finely diced vegetables, like paper thin, so I would recommend a really good mandoline or a crazy sharp knife. Sunomono is probably the most popular, and there are also a lot of great thai, cambodian, and chinese quick pickles if you really get into it. For these if you're ending up with something too flavorless or vegetal your initial brine is not seasoned strongly enough or the vegetable is not sliced small enough to allow for adequate penetration. Keep in mind that quite a few traditional asazuke recipes utilize relatively bland flavoring agents and are mostly employed to accentuate the vegetable itself, which apparently is not what you (or I, for that matter) want. I'm too lazy to ever make real pickles so usually i'll make two or three of these at a time and have them throughout the next few days.

e-I just saw that pickling rig you have and jesus that thing is huge. A lot of asazuke recipes really only last a few days tops before they get too soggy or salty, so if you do go that path just make a little in a bowl or something instead. Really jealous about that thing for kimchi though, think I might pick one up.

for sale fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 28, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have the 1 liter version which is way smaller. Slicing the vegetables thinner might help, but you're right about Japanese salt-pickling not really focusing on strong flavor and the like, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I've had decent success with cabbage leaves and various greens, though, which is good! I just wonder if asazuke is only for that specific type of pickles, which is a little disappointing, but oh well.

And yeah, salt pickles don't keep for very long, I've found. I'll have to figure out other batch foods to make.

Kimchi made in this thing sounds like it'd fuckin rule, I do have some gochujang so maybe I'll try making it! (disappointment incoming)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You don't use gochujang in kimchi so you will be disappointed! This is a good starter recipe if you take the sugar out entirely and double the gochugaru: http://smithratliff.com/2013/04/29/how-to-make-kimchi-kimchee-recipe/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are looking to do something with cucumbers try this - http://www.lafujimama.com/2013/03/beaten-cucumber-pickles/

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Most brined fermented pickles will take at least a week to get appropriately sour. It can be as little as 3-4 days or as much as a couple weeks depending on ambient temperature. That's why you usually want to do a fairly sizeable batch. Luckily for you, you can ferment in pretty much any food-safe container and something to keep everything submerged (plastic bag filled with brine works well). Bar Tartine, a restaurant with probably one of the most intense fermentation programs in the US, does most of theirs in food grade 5 gallon buckets with airlocks.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Y'all have me inspired to try my hand at kimchi for the first time. I live in Japan so most of the stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.
The most common pickling tubs I have seen here are those big plastic yellow ones, but I really want to try making it in an earthenware pot.

I have wanted to try Maangchi's recipe for ages but it seemed so labor intensive. May actually go for it this season!

Also, I have been making bentos for my gf and I recently. Here are some of the results from this week.

Standard tamagoyaki, veggie sides are usually hourensou or green beans done gomaae style or just with shoyu and sugar, gobou kinpira because it is cheap and awesome.
The karaage I usually buy at a corner shop because it rules and is only like 300 yen for 6 pieces.
The main in the second one is an italian meatball recipe that I subbed in instead of Japanese hamburger.

e:
And here is today's! Some miso pork chop, yakisoba, gomaae hourensou, tamagoyaki.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 29, 2016

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Pegnose Pete posted:

Y'all have me inspired to try my hand at kimchi for the first time. I live in Japan so most of the stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.
The most common pickling tubs I have seen here are those big plastic yellow ones, but I really want to try making it in an earthenware pot.

I have wanted to try Maangchi's recipe for ages but it seemed so labor intensive. May actually go for it this season!

Keeping the cabbage in halves or quarters isn't totally necessary, but it will help create better variance of texture and flavor in your kimchi. You'll get crisper, juicier bites in the end :)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

The one true heezy posted:

Keeping the cabbage in halves or quarters isn't totally necessary, but it will help create better variance of texture and flavor in your kimchi. You'll get crisper, juicier bites in the end :)

Right now the markets are mostly selling hakusai (nappa) in quarters anyway. The whole small fridge/shopping every day or two thing. I was kind of looking forward to tearing the cabbages in half by hand, seems like it would totally alter the texture.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Has anybody tried making their own extra firm tofu? Making silken tofu is super easy but I'd assume you'd need a serious tofu press to make the extra firm variety. Any recommendations?

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

Has anybody tried making their own extra firm tofu? Making silken tofu is super easy but I'd assume you'd need a serious tofu press to make the extra firm variety. Any recommendations?

My grandma taught me how.
It is truly labor intensive but so yummy.

So after you add firming agent (I do not know what this is called in English. Only know in Korean), you stir, and you get your soondoobu (not quiet set cloudy like soft tofu). My grandma didn't have tofu mold. So she put it inside of a bag of gauze (not exactly gauze but hers was more like hemp fabric I think) so all waters can come out thru bag.

She put the bag inside of a large plastic bowl with holes all over the side, and then put heavy thing on the top of bag to squeeze out excess water.

After about twenty minutes, dooboo party with stir fried pork and kimchi. Yum yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Do you mean like cheesecloth? That's what I'm imagining here.