Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anyone else buying Force Awakens next Tuesday from brick and mortar? Who's going to have the best deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Target has an exclusive 20+ minutes of BtS bonus material, but the trade-off there is that it's $5 more than the standard edition and the packaging's kinda crappy. Also, the extra stuff isn't even on the disc, you have to stream it through Disney Movies Anywhere. :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is Amazon not selling it or something? Searching for it just brings up the VOD version and a set of Episodes I-VI.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is Amazon not selling it or something? Searching for it just brings up the VOD version and a set of Episodes I-VI.

Shows up for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, yeah, there it is. Maybe something was wonky with my search. Thanks!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was randomly looking up when the new Mamoru Hosoda movie was coming to blu-ray and found that they're finally rereleasing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in June. I often regretted not picking this up when it was actually available for not lovely prices, so I'm really glad to see this.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Parallax posted:

I understand why there's a concentrated effort to switch a lot of these shows to widescreen, but I wish more shows would include both. There's a certain look to 4:3 that it feels like is getting erased from history

I know it won't happen but I wish they'd keep The Shield in 4:3 for the remaster. That show really feels like the sorta bridge between 90s shows like Homicide etc. and modern shows like Breaking Bad, and the aspect ratio is an important part of that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

The first edition is an old transfer with a lot of video noise, but absolutely watchable.

That's exactly why a lot Universal and Fox discs look awful. They used old transfers that were never meant for 1080p (meant for NTSC/PAL downscales and TV broadcast), then had them "enhanced" with noise reduction.

More reason why it really is a big deal when there's 4K restorations. It's not just marketing - it usually means a high resolution, new scan was made from film and properly worked on. Sometimes 4K restorations are garbage thanks to bad processing (The Sting, Children of Paradise), but that's the exception.

Is it better than the DVD and if so how can you identify that particular release?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Force Awakens, is there any cool steel book or exclusive art versions this time around?

Hibernator posted:

I know it won't happen but I wish they'd keep The Shield in 4:3 for the remaster. That show really feels like the sorta bridge between 90s shows like Homicide etc. and modern shows like Breaking Bad, and the aspect ratio is an important part of that.

I'm going off my vague memory here, but The Shield was always a 4x3 show in the states but the UK airing and DVD sets were the 16x9 versions. We had non-HD widescreen OTA broadcasts from the late 90s and I guess they jumped at the chance to air/sell it in widescreen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Is it better than the DVD and if so how can you identify that particular release?

You want this one. I have it too. Any other release is the lovely DNR stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Blu-ray-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B0012GVKW8

Your best bet is either Ebay or the link.

Edit: Stay away from this version.

http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Ultimate-Hunter-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B003L16FAE

It also has an action figure for the cover photo.

http://www.amazon.com/Sideshow-Coll...t+toys+predator

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 29, 2016

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
In "It's about goddamn time" news, the Blu-ray for The Iron Giant has finally been announced. Coming September 6th in both regular and "ultimate collector's edition" versions, the disc includes both the original theatrical cut and the newer "signature" cut. The UCE is already up for preorder.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Target has an exclusive 20+ minutes of BtS bonus material, but the trade-off there is that it's $5 more than the standard edition and the packaging's kinda crappy. Also, the extra stuff isn't even on the disc, you have to stream it through Disney Movies Anywhere. :shrug:

Thanks, I was considering the Target version until I read that the extras are not on disc. Guess I'll either get the normal one or try for a Best Buy steel book (which will probably sell out minutes after they open.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any reason not to pre order that online?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I want to watch it on release day and not pay or wait for shipping.

edit--> Didn't get to see it in theaters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

it wasn't a very good movie

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boinks posted:

I want to watch it on release day and not pay or wait for shipping.

edit--> Didn't get to see it in theaters.

Ah makes sense. Isn't the digital version out before the bluray? Shame they don't give you the code while its in transit too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it wasn't a very good movie

How dare you!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
At this point, should I just go get the two releases of Kill Bill, and give up on Whole Bloody Affair?

CelticPredator posted:

You want this one. I have it too. Any other release is the lovely DNR stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Predator-Blu-ray-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B0012GVKW8

Your best bet is either Ebay or the link.

This is one of the first Blu-Rays I bought in 2009. I love the grainy feel, even if others say it's a low-quality print or whatnot.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Not sure this has been asked but is the original Star Wars trilogy being released on blu ray without CGI and other edits?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MisterGBH posted:

Not sure this has been asked but is the original Star Wars trilogy being released on blu ray without CGI and other edits?

It will be released the same week Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is released.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

and the same week as The Day the Fffffuuckin Clown Cried

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rusty Staub posted:

and the same week as The Day the Fffffuuckin Clown Cried

Well, with that we at least some sort of vague promise of a release.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All of these films will be released on the same day, which is also the day the Magnificent Ambersons lost footage is recovered: the day after you die.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

and also Von Stroheim's Greed

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I know if I buy the current blu-rays, the Affair is announced within 90 days.

They finally put out Howard the Duck, anything is possible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

I know if I buy the current blu-rays, the Affair is announced within 90 days.

They finally put out Howard the Duck, anything is possible.

Still no Fail Safe and Last Hurrah

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Isn't it the case that 20th Century Fox has to get some cut of the dosh if the non-special edition Star Wars gets re-released? The copyright is different between the two. I wouldn't put it past Fox to be complete dicks about it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Tarantino box set is the Amazon.ca deal of the day at $25.99. If I didn't already own most of these I'd be all over this.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Red posted:

At this point, should I just go get the two releases of Kill Bill, and give up on Whole Bloody Affair?

Honestly if you look around or wait long enough you can get both Kill Bill blu-rays for less than $10 total, so it's not a lot of money as far as the possibility of eventually double-dipping goes. They are good transfers also, so there's not a lot to recommend waiting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MisterGBH posted:

Once Star Wars starts fading in popularity, they'll release them to boost their sales.

In other words, it'll never happen.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Well I guess the DVD's will have to last for now then.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Star Wars '77 will definitely get an uncut release. The Library of Congress 4K transfer was used for a clip in the National Film Registry doc Those Amazing Shadows. Specifically the Death Star explosion. Great quality, too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony is asking people to pay $30 a movie to stream 4k content. So.. hold on to your Blu Ray players.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I can't decide if it would be brilliant or result in riots, but imagine if Sony and the other manufacturers got together with Disney and Fox to put out the original, unaltered trilogy -- on 4K only.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

xarph posted:

Isn't it the case that 20th Century Fox has to get some cut of the dosh if the non-special edition Star Wars gets re-released? The copyright is different between the two. I wouldn't put it past Fox to be complete dicks about it.

20th Century Fox still owns Episode IV. Disney will outright own the rest of the films. So, anything with Episode IV will still require 20th Century Fox's cooperation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There have been new releases of the movies (including individual steelbooks) since Disney bought Lucasfilm so they and Fox presumably have some arrangement already. I figure it's more "who pays".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The good thing at least is its not just outspoken internet nerds who care about it. One of my friends watched the movies with her son recently, pretty sure she's never actually sat through them properly before and she was asking about all the added stuff and said she'd rather see the original one. No prompting or anything, it just stands out that badly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

There have been new releases of the movies (including individual steelbooks) since Disney bought Lucasfilm so they and Fox presumably have some arrangement already. I figure it's more "who pays".

It's a consistent cash flow for Fox right now. They know if there's an unedited release it's going to be a big cash cow so they can demand more for ANH.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

It will be released the same week Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is released.

Hey, that's my bit!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MisterGBH posted:

Well I guess the DVD's will have to last for now then.
There are (really dirty) 35mm film scans of the original trilogy floating around the :filez: corners of the internet if you're feeling nostalgic about watching star wars in the cheap theaters months after it premiered. And there's several groups working on cleaning up and restoring better scans of the films, so if Disney doesn't hurry they might find that all the die-hard fans already have the original original trilogy in hd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

g0del posted:

There are (really dirty) 35mm film scans of the original trilogy floating around the :filez: corners of the internet if you're feeling nostalgic about watching star wars in the cheap theaters months after it premiered. And there's several groups working on cleaning up and restoring better scans of the films, so if Disney doesn't hurry they might find that all the die-hard fans already have the original original trilogy in hd.

There are already bootlegs floating around the internet that used the blu-ray as a source and then upconverted SD video sources to fill in the old scenes.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread