Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Earwicker posted:

I think its best to just assume that all of your communications are observed and recorded by a number of corporations and government entities and you will never find out who all of them are nor prevent them from doing so unless you go into the wilderness and live off the grid as a hermit

And put your mailbox on another street. I heard that keeps mail away from your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Paresthesia.

Growing up I always heard it described as "your [body part] falling asleep," so I guess there's probably some regional variation in what it's called when you're not going all Greek on it.

The sensation I am talking about is different from "pins and needles". If you've ever had an IV inserted and felt cool liquid entering your bloodstream, that's what I am after.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fishmech posted:

Skip around in the videos in this playlist, they're almost all from Newgrounds and I think I watched a playthrough of the game in question:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL26B36130624FCAF5

Holy poo poo, I found it. It's called 'The Ugly':

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MNChbeev2m8

It's really shoddily made and bad looking back as an adult, but I remember being terrified as a middle-schooler browsing horror games on Newgrounds younger than I probably should have been. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Who was the (I think he was Roman/Greek) classical philosopher that said that a good act is still good, even if done for selfish reasons, like the possibility of reward?

Sounds like something from cynicism, maybe Diogenes? Aristotle may have also been interpreted that way, though I'm not sure how that works with virtue ethics.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mister Macys posted:

Who was the (I think he was Roman/Greek) classical philosopher that said that a good act is still good, even if done for selfish reasons, like the possibility of reward?

This would be any form of consequentialist ethics, but to be specific I'd need the definition of "good."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pron on VHS posted:

Is it true that our smartphones mics are always on when certain apps (Facebook, Twitter) are open? I was talking to my coworker about heartburn last week and all I see now are Zantac ads on FB. This isn't the first case

Could be confirmation bias, but others have reported similar things:
http://www.webpronews.com/facebook-listens-2015-02/

Facebook denied it, but then that's just what they would say. :tinfoil:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ulmont posted:

Could be confirmation bias, but others have reported similar things:
http://www.webpronews.com/facebook-listens-2015-02/

Facebook denied it, but then that's just what they would say. :tinfoil:
http://marketingland.com/no-what-facebook-hears-on-your-phone-isnt-triggering-ads-146057

Voice recognition is costly in data transfer and server time; there is only very limited added value for Facebook who can just trawl your text conversations and clicks anyway. I'm going with 100% confirmation bias.

Unforgiven
Sep 4, 2007
Who needs redemption?
I'm looking for reliable information for an entry level camera for my honeymoon this summer to Europe. I've tried looking around the forums for a photography thread but without search it is near impossible. Can anyone direct me to a thread or similar photography for beginners site?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Unforgiven posted:

I'm looking for reliable information for an entry level camera for my honeymoon this summer to Europe. I've tried looking around the forums for a photography thread but without search it is near impossible. Can anyone direct me to a thread or similar photography for beginners site?

There is a whole subforum just for that stuff.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I are looking at rentals in San Antonio, and came across a place that's ~1,500 square feet, listed on Zillow for $1,200. However, the listing text says the rent's been reduced to $675. This would obviously be a steal, so the "if it sounds like a scam, it probably is" adage jumped into my head. I asked the guy why the rent was almost cut in half even though it'd only been listed for 6 weeks, and this was his response:

quote:

I got transferred to work here as the trade marketing consultant for my company here in Kentucky. Due to the present situation,I've decided to buy a house here in Kentucky.We had to rent our single family home while not being anywhere close to make sure it was being taken care of.To make a long story short, we went through a agency and got a renter. The renter ended up using our beautiful home as a safe house for running illegal cigarettes to New York. The police raided our house and he had completely destroyed all the work we did. It was an utter nightmare in time and money to restore. I do not tell you this to scare you, but to express to you our need and desire to get a tenant who will protect and take care of our home. So I contacted the agent and requested for my keys and documents. I personally would have given another agent this task to carry out,but due to the past experience we had with the other agent and the extra charges these agents get for carrying out their job we believe might scare away those seeking to rent our home.You will discover that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I would advise you drive by the address and have a look around the neighborhood and exterior,then get back to me if you think it's the right place for you to live in. Thank you for taking out time to read this message,I look forward to hearing from you soon.

This certainly sounds shady, but I can't figure out what the scam is.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hooah posted:

My wife and I are looking at rentals in San Antonio, and came across a place that's ~1,500 square feet, listed on Zillow for $1,200. However, the listing text says the rent's been reduced to $675. This would obviously be a steal, so the "if it sounds like a scam, it probably is" adage jumped into my head. I asked the guy why the rent was almost cut in half even though it'd only been listed for 6 weeks, and this was his response:

This certainly sounds shady, but I can't figure out what the scam is.

Long story, unnecessary detail, appealing to your sense of sympathy (he's been through a bit of trouble), appealing to your sense of dignity (we want a nice, upstanding person like you to look after our house)... pretty standard scam pitch. They're probably just hoping to steal some deposits or bank details.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, that makes sense. Good thing we have family in the area who can actually check out places ahead of time, so we definitely wouldn't be paying for anything sight-unseen.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

hooah posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Good thing we have family in the area who can actually check out places ahead of time, so we definitely wouldn't be paying for anything sight-unseen.

You also sometimes run in to "I'm not around so just peek in the windows" and then if you like it they'll ask you to send them some money and promise to mail you a key. Obviously the key doesn't come and then you can't contact the fake landlord.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

hooah posted:

You can find out who owns the property from the city. Do that and then contact them with the city provided info. Most likely this is a scam.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Van Dis posted:

I use Handbrake.

FCKGW posted:

If you are looking to put it on an iOS device directly, Waltr is amazing.

If not then use Handbrake.

kapalama posted:

Handbrake as mentioned is good. Batch conversion is nice. On Mac cmd+B is your friend.

Handbrake worked, thanks.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
When browsing with chrome recently I've been getting about halfway down a page when the screen goes white for anywhere from a flicker to a couple seconds, then when the page comes back it has scrolled its way back to the top of the page. This happened on SA and a couple news articles too. The page doesn't refresh, it just goes white then comes back again scrolled to the top. It's really annoying and some simple googling just gives me people complaining about page load times.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm travelling to Spain for a week on the 5th April. I'm going to Malaga and have a place up in the mountains to stay at. Where is the best place to ask in the forums regarding car rental recommendations? Last bit of my holiday I gotta plan is deciding which car rental company to use that won't break the bank or screw me over with last minute hidden fees.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Loopoo posted:

I'm travelling to Spain for a week on the 5th April. I'm going to Malaga and have a place up in the mountains to stay at. Where is the best place to ask in the forums regarding car rental recommendations? Last bit of my holiday I gotta plan is deciding which car rental company to use that won't break the bank or screw me over with last minute hidden fees.

I needed a rent car in Malaga just last week and went with https://fetajorentacar.com. I didn't do a lot of shopping around, I'm just very partial to small local companies. They didn't spring any hidden fees on me, service was correct and I paid 30e/day total. Gas-wise, they don't charge you, they give you a car with half a deposit and you have to return it with half a deposit.

Honestly, if I had to say something bad about them it would be that the maps on their GPS was slightly out of date. Also make sure they send their guys who speaks English to deliver the car when you talk to them. :)

Hope you are doing something fun around those parts!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm moving into a sleep out that was occupied by a smoker, the owners have washed the curtains and the room is very tidy/appealing but there is still a lingering smell of smoke. Its not that strong but noticeable to a non smoker like me.

Any good ideas to lessen or remove the odor?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

504 posted:

Any good ideas to lessen or remove the odor?

Move.

You can try painting with silicon-based paint over what is already there, because this stuff is in the walls by now. Not guaranteed to work, there is a reason landlords hate smokers.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Bugger,

Thanks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dawncloack posted:

I needed a rent car in Malaga just last week and went with https://fetajorentacar.com. I didn't do a lot of shopping around, I'm just very partial to small local companies. They didn't spring any hidden fees on me, service was correct and I paid 30e/day total. Gas-wise, they don't charge you, they give you a car with half a deposit and you have to return it with half a deposit.

Honestly, if I had to say something bad about them it would be that the maps on their GPS was slightly out of date. Also make sure they send their guys who speaks English to deliver the car when you talk to them. :)

Hope you are doing something fun around those parts!

Thanks so much for your help! I've got a cosy little chalet nearby with it's own private pool and phenomenal views. Can't wait, hoping it'll be a blissful week before the hectic and stressful semester 2 starts of my Engineering degree...

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

What are some cool things I can do with an internet domain?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You can make a rad website, or make it redirect to someone else's rad website.
Possibly through the domain provider you can set up an email address that uses that domain.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

504 posted:

Bugger,

Thanks.

Rent a carpet shampoo-er, scrub the gently caress out of all surfaces (IE, all cabinets, fixtures, etc) and repaint. That should take care of 90% of your problem imo.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Make your own URL shortener service.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Did everyone on the forums forget how to spell "voila" or is "walla" a new running gag?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It comes from some life hack image and as a result generally carries the implication of irony - whatever's being "walla"ed probably isn't actually all that fantastic.

Beyond that is just :regd08:.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Thanks! I don't know whether to be comforted or more depressed.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Have whatever you want as an email address.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This may not be a small question, but I don't really want to wade into D&D about it. If a given state is right-to-work (meaning non-union members don't have to pay dues), what's stopping the unions from just not providing any benefits to non-members? Of course the unions can't tell employers "don't pay non-members as much", but they can surely refuse to provide any services their members enjoy. Does this already happen?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Aside from water, what's the cheapest thing (on a per pound basis) available for purchase in a large city?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dokmo posted:

Aside from water, what's the cheapest thing (on a per pound basis) available for purchase in a large city?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

hooah posted:

This may not be a small question, but I don't really want to wade into D&D about it. If a given state is right-to-work (meaning non-union members don't have to pay dues), what's stopping the unions from just not providing any benefits to non-members? Of course the unions can't tell employers "don't pay non-members as much", but they can surely refuse to provide any services their members enjoy. Does this already happen?

I live in Canada but if you're not a union member in a workplace with a union here, you don't get any of the benefits provided by the union. If they're things the union has negotiated for the employer to provide, you generally get those, though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

dokmo posted:

Probably some kind of chemical waste product that is normally paid to be gotten rid of.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hooah posted:

I hadn't thought about it, but a quick skim over everyone's favourite source of lies shows that free riders use the 1940s-established 'duty of fair representation' to force the union to advocate on their behalf while refusing to pay their dues. Showing that it's a law written by shitbags for the benefit of shitbags.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dokmo posted:

Literal garbage can often be purchased from a city for extremely little, so long as you provide your own transportation and meet some regulations on handling waste.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I'm trying to find a make of ramen noodles.

They are in a blue pack (seafood flavour) with oriental writing, the block of noodles are round, there are three sachets, one with flavoring, one with dried vegies and one with a fat or oil that is slightly lemony.

Any ideas?

I'll move to Offal ;)

bad-yeti fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 30, 2016

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

dokmo posted:

Cement?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I was too young to watch the OJ Simpson case when it took over everything 20 or so years ago and I don't have cable to watch whatever channel is airing the current mini-series on it. Is there a good true crime book on it that makes its bias relatively clear from the beginning? I mean, anything Ann Rule wrote is going to be written favoring the victim and most other books on controversial cases like the JonBenet Ramsay one make their opinion (the parents did it, etc) clear from the beginning and I'd hope anyone writing about the OJ case did something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

LivesInGrey posted:

I was too young to watch the OJ Simpson case when it took over everything 20 or so years ago and I don't have cable to watch whatever channel is airing the current mini-series on it. Is there a good true crime book on it that makes its bias relatively clear from the beginning? I mean, anything Ann Rule wrote is going to be written favoring the victim and most other books on controversial cases like the JonBenet Ramsay one make their opinion (the parents did it, etc) clear from the beginning and I'd hope anyone writing about the OJ case did something similar.

You could read his own book about it. "If I Did It"

Hint: He did

Edit: hahah I didn't realize the Goldman's were awarded the rights to this book and officially retitled it "I Did It"