Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Great Joe posted:

Hi. I made a thread in LP for people who are super new to this game. Like, really really new to it, because I felt that Dirt Rally doesn't do a good enough job explaining itself to new players. So, this is me trying to bridge that gap. I've already got the next episode lined up, but if you have any suggestions on topics or cars to cover, shoot.

You should explain that the lancia delta S4 has both a supercharger and a turbercharger. It's pretty important information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRTQJOzwj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

You should also tell everyone to stop worrying and learn to love the Stratos.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Doc Morbid posted:

You should also tell everyone to stop worrying and learn to love the Stratos.

Every time I try any other car I just have less fun. Stratos for life.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skwee posted:

You should explain that the lancia delta S4 has both a supercharger and a turbercharger. It's pretty important information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRTQJOzwj4
I am planning on doing an update on proper use of the clutch, and a car with lots of lag would be perfect for that...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Putting this out, I'm going to do a sizable overhaul of the OP ahead of the console release and I want to do a quick descriptor of the locations with some pretty pictures. So I'd appreciate it if anyone has any cool (read: not wrecks) replay shots. This kind of thing, though probably showcasing the landscape a bit more.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Depends on your definition of cool. I'm a bad driver.

http://imgur.com/IVtalhz
http://imgur.com/jx5vLrY

Edit: Yeah I am being lazy and using imgur video to gif. Uh I guess webm inlines with url tags.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
those are some giant .gifs you've got there

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I'm retrying this game again. So far, pretty good.

I noticed that my in game well seems to be 'spongy'. As in, if you wiggle the wheel, it's as if there are are rubber bands between my peripheral and the in game wheel. Is this normal? My inputs don't appear to be 1:1 despite me setting the game that way. Or is it just a graphical thing to make the ingame wheel look realistic?

The tarmac feel is passable. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
1:1 maps your wheel limits to the real cars limits i think. So if you've got like 500 degrees on your wheel, but the car has higher/lower then the amount it turns will be different.

I think there's some sort of soft lock option that changes your wheel's rotation based on the car you are driving, so maybe try that? I assume you set your wheel to 900 (or max w/e) in your device settings, and then turn on soft lock in-game, but i'm not sure.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
The best part of steering wheels is in slides and watching the car naturally correct itself :snoop:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I think I have it mostely feeling good now. Feels natural on snow and gravel. And it feels like I'm on bias ply tires on asphalt. But what can you do.

Still, even though it's not at the hardcore level that I want, it's scratching the Rally itch that RBR was leaving behind.

with a high-ish power DD wheel at 900 degrees, no hud, no pacenote icons, and manual trans + clutch, it's a proper mental and physical work out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Do any of you use a handbrake for this? Looking to pick one up for my rig if I can get a decent one under 150ish.

Making this post, I just had a super dumb idea...I have a logitech extreme 3d pro flightstick I could set as a temporary handbrake.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Norns posted:

Do any of you use a handbrake for this? Looking to pick one up for my rig if I can get a decent one under 150ish.

Making this post, I just had a super dumb idea...I have a logitech extreme 3d pro flightstick I could set as a temporary handbrake.

Yeah you can just use a joystick I think. I used my H shifter with a rubberband strapped around the stick and console to pull it out of gear, so the going into gear acts as the button press for the handbrake

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Skwee posted:

Yeah you can just use a joystick I think. I used my H shifter with a rubberband strapped around the stick and console to pull it out of gear, so the going into gear acts as the button press for the handbrake

I did the exact same thing for a jury rigged sequential shifter

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Buy a th8a and use it in axis mode :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

Buy a th8a and use it in axis mode :v:

Have one, but I'm using it to shift.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

Have one, but I'm using it to shift.

Get a second one, for axising.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eurogamer's console review is out and I can't wait for next week :rms:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Is there any plans for this game to add more courses? Such as Rally Hokkaido?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They've said they'll consider it once the console version is done, but there's no guarantee. I'd assume not since they'd probably want to move on to either Dirt 4, Dirt Rally 2 or a lot of the team would go to help finish up F1 2016.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

njsykora posted:

They've said they'll consider it once the console version is done, but there's no guarantee. I'd assume not since they'd probably want to move on to either Dirt 4, Dirt Rally 2 or a lot of the team would go to help finish up F1 2016.

Speaking of, we should be getting a patch on the pc version once the console versions roll out, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of, we should be getting a patch on the pc version once the console versions roll out, right?

Yep, as per this news post it'll be added to the PC version on April 5th.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Still no word on co-op, still not caring about this game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SealHammer posted:

Still no word on co-op, still not caring about this game.

Cool. You're missing out on a great game waiting for a feature that wouldn't be widely used.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Norns posted:

Cool. You're missing out on a great game waiting for a feature that wouldn't be widely used.

I'm not really missing out on anything since I've played the same tracks two dozen times apiece in every car and the game is now as stale and boring as it will get without throwing in a mechanic that makes things more dynamic :shrug:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SealHammer posted:

I'm not really missing out on anything since I've played the same tracks two dozen times apiece in every car and the game is now as stale and boring as it will get without throwing in a mechanic that makes things more dynamic :shrug:

ah so you have played the game a shitload

post for content: The console version is coming soon correct? So it's likely we'll see renewed interest on all of the platforms as it gets more exposure.

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 31, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hopefully yeah, I'm planning a new league season with that in mind.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I haven't checked in a while but last I saw even the highest pop leagues were inactive.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thief posted:

I haven't checked in a while but last I saw even the highest pop leagues were inactive.

Did Codemasters fix all those league related bugs 1.0 had?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Did Codemasters fix all those league related bugs 1.0 had?

I assume so, the league Great Joe's running for the LP thread seems to be working fine. Also I looked at the console achievement list and there's a 6pt achievement on the Xbox version. I love when people do that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Them working on that poo poo only makes sense when they're still doing improvements for the console version.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Are the F1 games good? Is there an F1 game thread I can't find?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

grapecritic posted:

Are the F1 games good?
meh.

grapecritic posted:

Is there an F1 game thread I can't find?
no.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

F1 2015 was good but bare bones, if F1 2016 can be the same driving with more stuff it'll be great. Though in my opinion F1 just doesn't have many interesting tracks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Enkmar posted:

ah so you have played the game a shitload

post for content: The console version is coming soon correct? So it's likely we'll see renewed interest on all of the platforms as it gets more exposure.

The console versions come out next week. I've been playing the Xbox One game for a few weeks and it's really really good. Hard, but so immersive with a wheel: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/dirt-rally-review-one-of-the-best-driving-games-weve-ever-played/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

F1 2015 was good but bare bones, if F1 2016 can be the same driving with more stuff it'll be great. Though in my opinion F1 just doesn't have many interesting tracks.

I just find rally driving in games far more enjoyable than tarmac track driving. Even in Germany you can slide around and make good times which is fun.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

grapecritic posted:

Are the F1 games good? Is there an F1 game thread I can't find?

If you just want to drive formula cars and don't care specifically about F1 branding, then check out Project Cars for its amazing graphics, sound and a nice track selection, along with a variety of formula cars (including karts, Formula Rookie, and vintage cars). It's fantastic.

If you're big into the actual Formula 1 series and want to use official cars and see familiar names and branding, then you'll be happy with the Formula 1 games.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Check out Automobilista for balls awesome open wheel stuff as well.

Side note about project cars. If you're also into LMP cars, it's got some fun ones, and more of a selection than other sims.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Play Grand Prix Legends :getin:

Sure, they now have those 60s cars in other games that are more realistic and all that (GPL came out in 1998, after all), but GPL also has all the stupid dangerous tracks from that era!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Racenet is down, but when it comes back up there's a fresh new season of the Dirtygoons league waiting. 6 weeks, 6 rallies and 3 car classes. 1980s, Group B (both 4WD and RWD) and 2000s are available so hopefully everyone will be able to find something they enjoy driving for the whole season.

• Locked thread