Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

jivjov posted:

Oh; okay; so you do in fact believe that non-binary people don't exist. I feel very sorry for any trans individuals in your life that you marginalize with your toxic attitude,

I know 3 trans people IRL, they're all of the same sentiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Well, guess what? They're wrong too.

I know trans people as well, one of them is not only a very good friend of mine, but they're also non-binary, and has spent quite a lot of time in discussion about it.

You, and your friends, do not get to dictate anyone else's gender.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Anybody can identify with whatever they want. Or seek a role model or ideal to follow. It's excellent to accept the multitude of ways that people can identify themselves with and the goals they put to themselves. My friends could easily tell me they prefer to be called in some way and I'd gladly get used to doing so, it's about mutual respect.

The problem is the callout culture, those that jump like vultures onto anyone who gets caught offguard by the pronouns, maybe because they didn't know the proper use, or were tired, or forgot. It could also be hard to notice. It might be a rich and complex introspection, but for other people it could be an unpredictable, or sometimes even unnoticeable change. It could also be hard to grasp the change even after understanding it. Also it is extremely ethno-centric: In Spanish, for example most of the new pronoun changes are almost impossible to translate. It's a discussion centered on privileged first world english speaking countries.
This pronoun usage is meant to be an all inclusive move for empathy and understanding, but at the same time you are extremely exclusive and strict about it. Calling people evil, making fun of those who don't instantly grasp it, or of those who arent convinced right away. That conflictive, witch-hunt-ish way of doing things probably breeds more spite than empathy from others, it's more like how closed groups work.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 29, 2016

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Amused to Death posted:

As someone who is trans and binary af, I don't get nb people in exactly the same way I'd hope that cis people don't really get trans binary people.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

jivjov posted:

Well, guess what? They're wrong too.

I know trans people as well, one of them is not only a very good friend of mine, but they're also non-binary, and has spent quite a lot of time in discussion about it.

Weirdly enough Xir, as a real life amnecdote you picked a person in one of the circumstances where identifying as non binary isn't dumb as hell. We're fixated on nonbimary though, let's discuss how neopronouns and an endless litany of genders like demiboy actually work out in real life

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

We're fixated on nonbimary though, let's discuss how neopronouns and an endless litany of genders like demiboy actually work out in real life

Well for starters my demiboy friend seems to be doing well getting through a local IT school.

wiregrind posted:

The problem is the callout culture, those that jump like vultures onto anyone who gets caught offguard by the pronouns, maybe because they didn't know the proper use, or were tired, or forgot. It could also be hard to notice. It might be a rich and complex introspection, but for other people it could be an unpredictable, or sometimes even unreadable change. It could also be hard to grasp the change even after understanding it. Also it is extremely ethno-centric: In Spanish, for example most of the new pronoun changes are almost impossible to translate. It's a discussion centered on privileged first world english speaking countries.
This pronoun usage is meant to be an all inclusive move for empathy and understanding but at the same time you are extremely exclusive and strict about it. Calling people evil, making fun of those who don't instantly grasp it, or of those who arent convinced right away. That conflictive, witch-hunt-ish way of doing things probably breeds more spite than empathy from others, it's more like how closed groups work.

It's not just English. There was another language, I think Finnish?, that introduced a gender-neutral pronoun. Every language has their own unique hurdles when it comes to pronouns and gender. Some tend to be more inclusive than others. Some need some modification and new words/grammar to become inclusive.

And the callout culture does have some issues with it. Calling out benign mistakes with absolute hostility does cause lots of problems, and can make people who might be sympathetic become hostile. I try to make sure that when it comes to pronouns an honest effort is all I ask and that when I correct people for accidental misgendering I'm not mad at them at all but trying to help them develop a good habit.

That said...

deliberate misgendering and deliberately using the wrong pronoun is absolutely worth calling out on their utterly lovely behavior.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Amused to Death posted:

And there are gay people who say that bisexuals just need to pick a side. The LGBTQA community has plenty of infighting between the letters.

I'm a nonbinary person who presents as female and I am fine with any pronouns aside from 'it'. If someone were to call me an 'it', I would correct them. Same should go for any misgendering directed at anyone. Respecting pronouns takes literally no effort, and intentionally misgendering someone shows that you think you know them better than they do and also that you don't respect them as a person.

Portals fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 29, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
So does xir(doesn't need to be this one, but any non-typical pronoun) have a particular/agreed upon meaning? If not, what descriptive purpose does it serve differentially to they? What is it adding over and above a combination of they and the individual's name? If the claim is that the person has an individually unique gender identity, are these pronouns serving as generic placeholders for them?

I assume the last part is true, because it seems to me that the issue of pronoun usage is an extension of correct gender ascription. However, if an individual is claiming to belong to a unique gender category, it is a non-trivial request to ask someone to learn the rules for correctly employing that gender's terms, because those rules are generally complicated, even in a binary system (hence the talk of a binary spectrum, which I would argue is an oversimplication of how gender terms are ascribed). That is of course assuming it is not a generic term, which if it is I am uncertain as to the value it offers above already established terms (this is what I see as a common point of contention, because if they are generic there is no end to the number of possible terms that could arise, simultaneously adding nothing to language while increasing the likelyhood of confusion).

The natural followup to this will of course be "it's not difficult, just call them what they ask". If it were so simple to do this (to repeat, this is under the assumption that the pronoun does connote a particular gender), the requestee must either have a pre-exisiting understanding of proper use (which would make this whole chain irrelevant), or they somehow the usage of the gender is already manifest in the rules of other genders, which would then make the claim of uniqueness contestable. It might be that people feel that gender stereotyping is undesirable, but by establishing one yoh are directly asserting that there are certain prototypical elements to performance of the gender (or else it doesn't really fall into the gender domain). Handwaving this issue off by claiming the issue of pronoun is separate from that of gender is indirectly asserting that the selection/use of a pronoun token is arbitrary or not well linked to gender, which defeats the original contention that incorrect ascription is not (and as many have pointed out, there any many people for which this linkage is very important).

So either the request is trivial, but not meaningful or useful (thus why some might be suspicious of the motivation behind the request being self-aggrandizing in nature), or non-trivial, which makes claims of it being "easy" questionable. I'm inclined to believe both occur, and that the ones of the former sort should not be entertained precisely because they make light of the ones of the latter.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Even if the request were trivial, it wouldn't undermine the idea that it's socially acceptable to refuse it, in much the same way as it is still acceptable to refuse something any random person asks you to do, even if it's minor. People deserve respect, niceness is optional. And to say it again, before someone else just jumps from the first to last page again and freaks out: I'm saying if you perform, you are due your title, that's respect, but if you don't perform, you don't get it.
I am describing what I'm talking about (how gender should be conceptualized, in general). What I can't describe is the complex archetype that makes up gender (In a particular historical/social context), because that would take a lot of effort, a lot of testing (and fixing), and a wide exposure to ensure it was exhaustive. It also wouldn't actually help this discussion at all, and isn't really necessary - you have the idea, in your mind, I have the idea, we live in the same society, there's no way you haven't been exposed.
No, you've thrown up some irrelevant objections about solipsism, that has nothing to do with it working or not on its own terms. Additionally, if you're not taking self-declaration as authoritative, and you're not taking performance as authoritative (because that's what I am), then on what grounds can you say that anyone is 'misgendering'? Surely, if there is no basis to come to any conclusion, if it's all impenetrable to you thanks to the issue of subjectivity, then there's no such thing as a right or wrong gendering, either by yourself or others and, consequently you can't hold anyone to account. Is that really what you want?

Also, I want to challenge your use of 'oppression' here. Are you aware society is something that operates by rules, nay, must operate by rules? Surely you have to, but here you are, saying that having a standard that must be yielded to, any standard, is oppression. Do you actually want to be a part of society, to interact with other people? Well, get used to 'authoritative declarations', at least in the abstract. I think it's okay to debate fairness, you should debate fairness, but they are something that has to exist.
No no no, I didn't use 'true nature', I said 'natural performance', which is bad terminology because of the word natural, so I guess I should use 'honest performance'. That's behavioral, that's verifiable, it's not the same as something's 'nature'.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rudatron posted:

No, you've thrown up some irrelevant objections about solipsism, that has nothing to do with it working or not on its own terms. Additionally, if you're not taking self-declaration as authoritative, and you're not taking performance as authoritative (because that's what I am), then on what grounds can you say that anyone is 'misgendering'? Surely, if there is no basis to come to any conclusion, if it's all impenetrable to you thanks to the issue of subjectivity, then there's no such thing as a right or wrong gendering, either by yourself or others and, consequently you can't hold anyone to account. Is that really what you want?

Libertarianism :okpos:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

Weirdly enough Xir, as a real life amnecdote you picked a person in one of the circumstances where identifying as non binary isn't dumb as hell. We're fixated on nonbimary though, let's discuss how neopronouns and an endless litany of genders like demiboy actually work out in real life

Any particular reason why you keep misgendering me in particular?

And while I'm at it, and I know I'm going to regret asking, why are you suddenly saying that it's not dumb for my friend to be non-binary? When up til now your stance was pretty hardline "unless they're intersex it's dumb"?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Amused to Death posted:

One of my trans acquaintances believes that trans women need to present as ultrafeminine in order to be authentic, that only lipstick lesbianism with rigid masculinized and feminized roles is morally acceptable, and is intermittently a Stalinist when she's not a fascist or absolute monarchist.

Your views are not obviously nutty, but they're also not obviously compelling either. Furthermore, her views are not all that different from the ones you're outlining. If I didn't emphasize her bad politics it would just be taking the rigidity of the gender binary to be something that also applies to sexual relationships, but otherwise would just be a natural extension of your stated beliefs.

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

There was another language, I think Finnish?, that introduced a gender-neutral pronoun.

That was actually Swedish - they introduced the gender-neutral hen to go with han and hon.

There's only one pronoun in Finnish, hän.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Also, I want to challenge your use of 'oppression' here. Are you aware society is something that operates by rules, nay, must operate by rules? Surely you have to, but here you are, saying that having a standard that must be yielded to, any standard, is oppression. Do you actually want to be a part of society, to interact with other people? Well, get used to 'authoritative declarations', at least in the abstract. I think it's okay to debate fairness, you should debate fairness, but they are something that has to exist.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that you are not willing to concede the right of other people to have opinions that exist apart from you, because you consistently declare people mentally ill, tell them what they're actually thinking, etc. It seems more than a little pointless to attempt to communicate an idea that you reject the principles of in their entirety, and frankly you're disgusting in your voyeuristic desires and your hateful homophobia apart from the beliefs that have generated them.

In any case, your proposed system fails to conclusively prove gender, is unethical to even attempt, and all your verbal slush is an attempt to get away from the massive torpedo-holes shot through your argument. What parts that aren't that are axiomatic statements about the need to submit which are apparently self-evident.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I feel like this thread in a nutshell is:

"Show people basic respect by calling them whatever pronouns they want to use."

"LOL look at these zany words/weirdos :xd:"

On an endless loop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

On an endless loop.

A lot of people on that second side are taking it quite a bit further; either implying or outright stating that people using neopronouns (or identifying non-binary at all) are failing some societal duty or are being "excessively" deviant. This is an incredibly toxic and transphobic viewpoint to take, and just perpetuates the stigma that to be transgender is to somehow be lesser.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

On an endless loop.
It's not as simple - if Donald Trump demanded to be referred to as lordsir, pronoun wise, you'd flip him off. What is the difference between misgendering someone, and referring to Donald trump as "he" even after he has stated an explicit, and possibly even genuine, desire to be addressed as lordsir? There is one, but I hope this shows how it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

I'm not saying it's complicated, but it's not as simple as what you're saying.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

jivjov posted:

A lot of people on that second side are taking it quite a bit further; either implying or outright stating that people using neopronouns (or identifying non-binary at all) are failing some societal duty or are being "excessively" deviant. This is an incredibly toxic and transphobic viewpoint to take, and just perpetuates the stigma that to be transgender is to somehow be lesser.

It could possibly be that oversensitive people rub others the wrong way, and discourages them from acquiescing to their requests.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 29, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

It's not as simple - if Donald Trump demanded to be referred to as lordsir, pronoun wise, you'd flip him off. What is the difference between misgendering someone, and referring to Donald trump as "he" even after he has stated an explicit, and possibly even genuine, desire to be addressed as lordsir? There is one, but I hope this shows how it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

I'm not saying it's complicated, but it's not as simple as what you're saying.

It is very simple: it's different depending on how much I identify with the unperson in question :haw:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

It could possibly be that oversensitive people rub others the wrong way, and turns them off of acquiescing to their reauests.

You do rub me the wrong way, but if I were to mistreat you because of that, I would be doing the wrong thing, and compounding my immoral behavior if I blamed you for it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

You do rub me the wrong way, but if I were to mistreat you because of that, I would be doing the wrong thing, and compounding my immoral behavior if I blamed you for it.

i disagree your wrong

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

If I was being a big baby about things, I wouldn't expect my sensibilities to be catered to, and I'd imagine that is the case for most people.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

If I was being a big baby about things, I wouldn't expect my sensibilities to be catered to, and I'd imagine that is the case for most people.

Okay, I won't cater to your sensibilities, then.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

It is very simple: it's different depending on how much I identify with the unperson in question :haw:
This is probably true, but that's a cause, not a reason. What would a reason be? You're a smart person, you can probably imagine some reasons somebody in favor of "pronoun respect" would bring forward for why they'd treat the Trump case differently than the trans case.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

This is probably true, but that's a cause, not a reason. What would a reason be? You're a smart person, you can probably imagine some reasons somebody in favor of "pronoun respect" would bring forward for why they'd treat the Trump case differently than the trans case.

Since I don't consider any socially constructed identities real, I don't care beyond "people are stupid and do retarded poo poo".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Since I don't consider any socially constructed identities real, I don't care beyond "people are stupid and do retarded poo poo".
But you'll also probably admit this is not because they have zero reason, but because you're unwilling to engage.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

But you'll also probably admit this is not because they have zero reason, but because you're unwilling to engage.

Unless those people want to implement their dumb poo poo in badly thought out policy I really don't want to. Too bad we're now at that point.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

Unless those people want to implement their dumb poo poo in badly thought out policy I really don't want to. Too bad we're now at that point.
I really believe it can be helpful for all involved to find commonalities and actual differences. This includes the reasons here for treating the hypothetical Trump and misgendering cases differently.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cingulate posted:

I really believe it can be helpful for all involved to find commonalities and actual differences. This includes the reasons here for treating the hypothetical Trump and misgendering cases differently.

Last I checked Trump didn't have a 50% suicide rate.

But hey, keep equivocating folks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Archonex posted:

If something is supposed to be valid, it needs to be valid regardless of the suicide rate of people it applies to.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

If something is supposed to be valid, it needs to be valid regardless of the suicide rate of people it applies to.
So do you think there are reasonable people who can think of a valid reason here?

Archonex posted:

Literally nobody here is actually dong the equivocation you're perceiving.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archonex posted:

We're doing the best we can :shrug:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

On an endless loop.
Your feelings are wrong. The broader issues are 'what is a reliable basis for gender/identity' and 'what are the limits of the individual w.r.t social norms. The 'zany words' are introduced not because they are the majority of cases, but because they are edge cases, that also have to be dealt with. So how do you come up with a consistent standard that deals with all cases in the right way, without resorting to 'because I said so'? What is the logic required? And how does that logic inform new cases, or contextualize old ones?

There have been hints of that process, of legitimate debate and discussion, but unfortunately, too many are simply entering the thread with their baggage, of what they reckon is being said. No one wants to talk, they just want to yell, or scoff.

jivjov posted:

Neither I nor anyone else has said, nor do I believe, that to be transgender is to be lesser - all human beings are valuable, and deserve safety, security, satisfaction and the ability to self-express. I think that's something everyone here can agree is worthwhile.
That's sad, I thought there was more to go. Dunno where you're getting voyeurism or homophobia from though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rudatron posted:

Neither I nor anyone else has said, nor do I believe, that to be transgender is to be lesser - all human beings are valuable, and deserve safety, security, satisfaction and the ability to self-express. I think that's something everyone here can agree is worthwhile.

Go read some of Amused to Death's posts about non-binary people. Full on dismissal of a non-binary person's self expression

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 29, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

rudatron posted:

Your feelings are wrong.

This sums up the entire anti-pronoun crowd in this thread, well done. :golfclap:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Go read some of Amused to Death's posts about non-binary people. Full on dismissal of a non-binary person's self expression
Having the ability to self-express does not mean that other people have to take you seriously, and while I can't speak for Amused To Death, I don't think they were advocating denying that ability.

Like how are you making the connection between - 'dismissing them' -> 'they are lesser'. You can hold two people to exactly the same standard, which may result in believing one and not believing the other, without regarding either of them as intrinsically lesser. In fact, it can be demeaning to hold people to different standards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rudatron posted:

Having the ability to self-express does not mean that other people have to take you seriously, and while I can't speak for Amused To Death, I don't think they were advocating denying that ability.

Like how are you making the connection between - 'dismissing them' -> 'they are lesser'. You can hold two people to exactly the same standard, which may result in believing one and not believing the other, without regarding either of them as intrinsically lesser. In fact, it can be demeaning to hold people to different standards.

Telling a non binary person "no; you are wrong about your own identity and are Doing It Wrong" is to tell them that they are lesser. That would be no different than telling a trans man "no, you're actually a woman, stop getting your own identity wrong, that's not a real thing"

To doubt someone's sincere self identity is to tell them they are lesser than those you believe.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

blowfish posted:

What's the badly thought out policy here? Nobody's looking for legal sanctions on anyone who misgenders people or whatever

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I asked you how you made the connection, I did not ask you to simply restate your belief in that connection, with more filler words. If someone says something you cannot believe, and you inform them of this, do you necessarily think lesser of that person, that they are somehow of less value? Additionally, if you believe those two cases are necessarily equivalent, does the same apply to any of the 'zany' cases brought up before, like identifying as an animal? If not, you cannot make that equivalence, because you're admitting the existence of a set of standards that have to applied, first, before you get to 'doubting someone's sincere self-identity'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rudatron posted:

I asked you how you made the connection, I did not ask you to simply restate your belief in that connection, with more filler words. If someone says something you cannot believe, and you inform them of this, do you necessarily think lesser of that person, that they are somehow of less value? Additionally, if you believe those two cases are necessarily equivalent, does the same apply to any of the 'zany' cases brought up before, like identifying as an animal? If not, you cannot make that equivalence, because you're admitting the existence of a set of standards that have to applied, first, before you get to 'doubting someone's sincere self-identity'.

I'm saying that if you have an actual case as for doubting someone, present it as such. Don't just say "nope you're wrong". Have a dialog. Discuss it. Present rational evidence.

Don't just say "lololol wacky pronouns and singular theys? What a liar"

Edit: and at the end of the day though; a person's self identity trumps pretty much any evidence you want to bring to bear. If someone says "I identify as androgynous and use a certain pronoun", there's no way for another person to definitively prove that wrong.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 29, 2016

• Locked thread