Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Life is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just ordered a last-minute ticket to Maiden next Tuesday. The Chicago show was sold out, so I settled for Detroit, $30 nosebleed ticket.

Might be my last chance to see them (third time) so I figured, what the hell.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know AC\DC aren't really metal, but Axl Rose has been seen rehearsing with them to replace Brian.

Am I the only one that thinks that'll be a horrible fit? Axl's voice with AC\DC would be horrid...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

H13 posted:

I know AC\DC aren't really metal, but Axl Rose has been seen rehearsing with them to replace Brian.

Am I the only one that thinks that'll be a horrible fit? Axl's voice with AC\DC would be horrid...
"IF YE WANT BLOOOOOD, YEEEE GOT IT, AWWW YEAH!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially bad because Axl's voice is absolutely shot these days.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbRWzhXbIk8

It's pretty awful. Never mind that Axl won't be able to keep up with Angus. It just lacks any grit or balls.

Also, Angus is a bit of an rear end in a top hat. If Axl does end up singing for AC\DC, there's no way he'll tolerate any sort of Diva behaviour. This could result in Axl getting killed by Angus Young.

...which...y'know what? Now I'm actually in favour of this tour!

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
They couldn't get the guy from Airbourne? They're pretty much AC/DC worship and I think they've actually toured with them once or twice.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a retard posted:

They couldn't get the guy from Airbourne? They're pretty much AC/DC worship and I think they've actually toured with them once or twice.
They could have also snagged the dude from Wolfmother since they haven't done anything meaningful since Cosmic Egg and also toured with AC/DC in the past.

e: Also, home turf advantage. :australia:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbRWzhXbIk8

It's pretty awful. Never mind that Axl won't be able to keep up with Angus. It just lacks any grit or balls.

Also, Angus is a bit of an rear end in a top hat. If Axl does end up singing for AC\DC, there's no way he'll tolerate any sort of Diva behaviour. This could result in Axl getting killed by Angus Young.

...which...y'know what? Now I'm actually in favour of this tour!
This is supposed to be their farewell tour and there are ten dates left, they'll tolerate whatever they have to

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
So now every other AC/DC show will get cancelled

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

Also just got this from Inquisition's FB page - new album teaser! Groovy string-bending frog action :derp: :derp:

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00y4gW50Lhc :siren:

I fuckin love the adventures of space satan depicted by frog men. This is going to be great, OVFTM was so cool.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 29, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Are you American dudes aware that GBK are playing Hell's Headbash this year?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

Are you American dudes aware that GBK are playing Hell's Headbash this year?

So is Intolitarian, so I expect to be surrounded by Nazis.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Last time they had Satanic Warmaster and Nyogthaeblisz with Kramer doing some guest vocals, so it's not a massive change(although GBK will definitely bring out people who might not have attended otherwise).

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

Last time they had Satanic Warmaster and Nyogthaeblisz with Kramer doing some guest vocals, so it's not a massive change(although GBK will definitely bring out people who might not have attended otherwise).

I was there during Nyogthaeblisz (who were awesome) and the Nazis definitely showed up for that set. I wonder if we'll actually see any fights this time with GBK and Intolitarian since everything seemed relatively peaceful on the day that I went.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This new Amon Amarth is pretty drat good and catchy as gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This new Amon Amarth is pretty drat good and catchy as gently caress.

I've been gushing about it a little too much but I can't stop listening to it. It keeps growing on me every time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's usually the sign of a really good album if it gets better on repeat listens.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It went from "meh" to "pretty decent" for me, but I haven't listened to it for a couple days now because I happened upon the Avatarium album from last year and have been listening to that one instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpZZPEbZLM

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
The Deathfest in Maryland this year doesn't seem to interest me that much, also I didn't realize the guys who organize it started expanding to California as well, thats pretty dope I guess if your not on the East Coast.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah man I like this album a whole lot. Better than their previous ones actually. Not sure what makes this one different though.

The two previous albums were good but unremarkable, this one is on a par with Skyforger as a pretty special work imo, though they are totally different.

I think the band and fans feel the same, on this tour they've stuck to the same setlist save 1 or 2 swap outs and play 6 tracks from the new album, an unusually large amount of new material for a gig but the only downtime was during the older songs - new fans post-Nightwish tour support, probably.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

To Battle posted:

The Deathfest in Maryland this year doesn't seem to interest me that much, also I didn't realize the guys who organize it started expanding to California as well, thats pretty dope I guess if your not on the East Coast.

They expanded to Cali and Netherlands. There are 3 "Deathfests" now.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Wyzt posted:

They expanded to Cali and Netherlands. There are 3 "Deathfests" now.

They should add a Midwest Deathfest and put it in Chicago or something.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

a retard posted:

They should add a Midwest Deathfest and put it in Chicago or something.

That would save me a bit of travel time. Metal Threat Fest is doing a good job of it in Chicago though, that line up is killer for a first year.

Some more self promotional spam: My full length album is streaming in full on Decibel Magazine's website.

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/3/29/stream-the-death-metal-soundtrack-to-the-dark-corners-of-sci-fi-by-nucleus

zipperface
Jul 2, 2003
Hentai Stunt Tentacle
Going to the Amon Amarth show here in Phoenix on April 8, never seen them live but I hear it's a treat.

They're also playing with Exmortis and Entombed A.D., neither of which I've listened to, but have heard of. Are they pretty good/decent? What would be some good songs or albums to get me hyped up for them?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

symbolic posted:

They could have also snagged the dude from Wolfmother since they haven't done anything meaningful since Cosmic Egg and also toured with AC/DC in the past.

In 2011 a cover band were playing in a bar when the frontman from Wolfmother drunkenly staggered on stage, forcefully took the microphone from the singer, and sung the worst cover of 'let it be' that's ever been sung. It was awful and he literally got arrested as a result

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm liking the new Amon Amarth album a lot more than I thought I would, but phew that song with Doro is terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

I'm liking the new Amon Amarth album a lot more than I thought I would, but phew that song with Doro is terrible.

Yeah it got deleted quick, even though the guitar and drum parts were pretty darn good.. it should have been a much better song than it is.

The lyrics are a previously unexplored level of bad for a metal song. And then doing it as a duet? :ughh:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bad lyrics in metal songs? Well I never...

I was actually thinking the other day about how Between the Buried and Me lyrics make no loving sense whatsoever and it detracts from the song itself if I try and listen to them. Children of Bodom is another offender, but I can't understand what the gently caress Alexi is saying anyway, so it balances out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Despite Colors being my favorite album ever, I have absolutely no idea what he's saying for most of it because I looked up the lyrics to one of the songs one time and never bothered to try and learn the rest

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

zipperface posted:

Going to the Amon Amarth show here in Phoenix on April 8, never seen them live but I hear it's a treat.

AA own live. You will enjoy it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

I was actually thinking the other day about how Between the Buried and Me lyrics make no loving sense whatsoever and it detracts from the song itself if I try and listen to them.

Croakies. Boatshoes... Collars up. Daddy's money increased my social status...
"Dang, my loafer got smudged"
We are the suburban elite.
"Hey where y'all wanna meet?"

I've got something to loving prove man, I've really gotten something to prove.
Dude... Brah... let's go party tonight...
Maybe start another goddamn fight...
But it's all right... my coach knows the sheriff.

Don't stare...

At my car.
At my shirt.
At my girl.

I dunno that's pretty straightforward.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I read through the lyrics and the best I can figure is that they wrote the album about materialism and the pressures of modern day life, but who the gently caress knows. I think Colors is their best work though.

comes along bort posted:

Croakies. Boatshoes... Collars up. Daddy's money increased my social status...
"Dang, my loafer got smudged"
We are the suburban elite.
"Hey where y'all wanna meet?"

I've got something to loving prove man, I've really gotten something to prove.
Dude... Brah... let's go party tonight...
Maybe start another goddamn fight...
But it's all right... my coach knows the sheriff.

Don't stare...

At my car.
At my shirt.
At my girl.

I dunno that's pretty straightforward.

Alaska had more concise songwriting and lyrics, but read through the poo poo on Colors.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I remember which song I looked up. It was Prequel to the Sequel.

something something taking mother nature for granted

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah lyrics are pretty much a case of "meh, whatever" for me most of the time. The exceptions are when they're either good enough or bad enough to register through my indifference. And because this is metal we're talking about, the latter case needs to be really quite bad.

Wuthering Heights - Salt is one of my favourite albums ever, and the great lyrics do play their part in that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably the only time I've truly been bothered by how bad metal lyrics can be is the new Dream Theater album, and even that wouldn't bother me if it were a normal DT wankfest. Instead they stripped down the music to emphasize the hilariously awful story.

Like, I listen to Arghoslent, my bar is pretty loving low.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with A Dream that Cannot Be is that you can in fact understand the lyrics, and it's some toddler level prose. It's so bad it's painful.

But the guitar rocks. :negative:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Lyrics in metal are typically pretty bad. From endearing engrish to middle-school level story telling (I'm looking at you Carach Angren), there's a lot of garbage to sift through. Honestly, I think this is a big part of the appeal in non-English lyrics in music for me, I can just pretend that there's something profound and poetic being sung. If a line rubs me the wrong way or comes across as juvenile and stupid ("I... I hate you people... you deserve to die... for you are evil") it makes it harder to enjoy an otherwise good song.

Also, Moonsorrow's new album is real good. Thankfully, I can't understand a word of Finnish.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Trees and Squids posted:

Lyrics in metal are typically pretty bad. From endearing engrish to middle-school level story telling (I'm looking at you Carach Angren), there's a lot of garbage to sift through. Honestly, I think this is a big part of the appeal in non-English lyrics in music for me, I can just pretend that there's something profound and poetic being sung. If a line rubs me the wrong way or comes across as juvenile and stupid ("I... I hate you people... you deserve to die... for you are evil") it makes it harder to enjoy an otherwise good song.

Also, Moonsorrow's new album is real good. Thankfully, I can't understand a word of Finnish.
The worst of it has got to be when Russell Allen decides to Dio-rhyme and farts out jewels like "HIT THE SWITCH / YOU SON OF A BITCH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
In a time when dinosaurs roamed the eeeeeeaaarth...