Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Great. Now I have to go check all the lasers. Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Dominoes posted:

Found my my first env puzzle on the bottle of the last laser I completed and had a 'holy poo poo!' moment.

Wait... "bottle?"

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Bottom. I know the one he means; there aren't many laser boxes you can get to from below.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You are referring to the one in the desert? That's the only one that I can think of with a nearby environmental puzzle from below.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Part 15 is up now! And no phone conversations about someone's medication this time, either!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You distracted yourselves right at the end. "Oh, we pumped the water out of the red area. I guess next time we'll IGNORE THAT and go tromping around the other side of the area looking for somewhere new to explore."

This doesn't even count as a spoiler, this is just herding a forgetful kitten.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You guys made that puzzle at 11 minutes unnecessarily complicated when you decided the one box at the top had to be combined with the two along the bottom.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The 277 + 11 puzzle count means you've solved 277 puzzle boards and 11 environmental puzzles. The +11 is not a counter of how many you did in that play session.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I was hoping one of them remembered to go down the stairs next session but we have friendly thread reminders instead. I don't think I ever found that Purple staircase when I was playing...I am surprised that isn't a video puzzle door room.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

The 277 + 11 puzzle count means you've solved 277 puzzle boards and 11 environmental puzzles. The +11 is not a counter of how many you did in that play session.

Ah, okay. I remember being a bit confused about that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dang, Amy is wrecking the tetris puzzles so well I'm not getting frustrated watching AT ALL! Nice work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DoctorWhat posted:

Dang, Amy is wrecking the tetris puzzles so well I'm not getting frustrated watching AT ALL! Nice work.

Yeah, I played way too much Tetris in my misspent youth so I was just slotting those pieces together. I think I even heard thuds as I mentally set them in place.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Puzzles with multiple solutions don't count as multiple puzzles in the counter, as far as I am aware. I made this mistake when searching for my last few puzzle panels when 100%ing the game and did some experimenting to find that they don't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JEBOman posted:

Puzzles with multiple solutions don't count as multiple puzzles in the counter, as far as I am aware. I made this mistake when searching for my last few puzzle panels when 100%ing the game and did some experimenting to find that they don't.

Really? I was told they did, and if that's wrong I'm sorry for the misinformation.

In the water room, each of the switches to raise/lower the water counts separate, right?

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Really? I was told they did, and if that's wrong I'm sorry for the misinformation.

In the water room, each of the switches to raise/lower the water counts separate, right?

Yeah, each little switch counts. So also every door and every one of those switches that moves a panel.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JEBOman posted:

Yeah, each little switch counts. So also every door and every one of those switches that moves a panel.

This isn't true. If it's an actual "puzzle" like the quarry ramp and elevator it counts, but all the little switches don't except the ones right at the start of the game and one at the very end. I tested them in my game.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Well then I am mistaken. It's interesting how this plays into the theme of the scientific method in the game. We each did our own experiments and now we share our results.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I'm now caught up with the LP again. It's great to see you guys just burn through things I had trouble getting my head round, especially considering the trouble you had with the soundwave puzzles in the Jungle, and your (admittedly justifiable) refusal to play along with the glare puzzles beneath the Ruins, both of which didn't really bother me all that much.

AbstractNapper posted:

Yeah, as I suspected, you blasted through the greenhouse/ elevator section way way faster than I did. I think I spent a few hours there. Still, I'm happy that I could do it on my own.
I spent a good while refusing to go into the Greenhouse after I couldn't get the second-to-last puzzle before the yellow glass. I spent a long time there once I finally decided to do the drat thing. This LP actually got me to go back there, and once I'd done it all and got back to the video, Amy immediately finished the puzzle that had me stuck. It's one of the things that I struggle with most, and while I could give excuses about my slight colour-blindness, I'm going to blame it entirely on me being dumb. Tetris puzzles also take a lot more thinking than they really should for me. If I'm ever stuck and confused with anything, it's generally Greenhouse-colours or Tetris. Both of these kinds of puzzles are bastards.

Fiendly posted:

Those birdcall puzzles might be my favorite among the ones we've seen so far. I honestly hope they take it to the logical conclusion and force you to compose a tune with the puzzle instead of just mimic one. You were very very close to the solution of the one you gave up on with your last attempt, you just didn't notice that the final note was the same as second note.
The only issue with the soundwave puzzles were that goddamn wall that comes up halfway through them. Thanks to that wall, I wandered off and only realised that I hadn't finished the Jungle puzzles when I noticed the laser box behind some reeds. You can find another soundwave puzzle somewhere, I'm not going to say where, but suffice to say that if you find it without actually finding the second set of sound puzzles, it's far more confusing than it has any right to be. Also, that wall makes me think: Does anyone know if there are things you can do to in this game that will lock you out of a puzzle, or is everything always free to find and solve? I can think of one thing where I'm pretty sure solving a (very early) puzzle locked me out of something else, but this doesn't feel like an unforgiving game.

Shaded Spriter posted:

I was hoping one of them remembered to go down the stairs next session but we have friendly thread reminders instead. I don't think I ever found that Purple staircase when I was playing...I am surprised that isn't a video puzzle door room.
I actually found it because of this thread. I'm insisting that I'm not cheating because I'm not watching them solve puzzles I haven't completed yet, but actually finding puzzles and pathways from watching the video is not actually cheating. Again, I saw them find this puzzle, paused, went and completed it myself, and came back to see Amy complete it in a much shorter amount of time and with much less hassle. I spent a good twenty minutes imagining a much more complicated solution than was actually necessary. What does that Tetris puzzle do exactly? Is it just a puzzle you complete to add 1 to your score?

FPzero posted:

If it helps you be any more confused, I'm currently at 417 +107 +2.

Also, are you guys planning on posting Amy's notes? I have screenshots of the four video puzzles I've found so far but actually taking notes isn't something I tend to do, and I haven't yet found something that annoyed me enough to do so, even if it might save me some time and stress (although one thing I've found might just make me change my mind). We already get a good bit of your reasoning through the video, but with some of the other puzzles, the colour elevator as one example, it might be neat to see your efforts.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

Does anyone know if ...

Short answer is no. Even if you are thinking of something very very early, still no. And even if so, you can always reload.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Teledahn posted:

Short answer is no. Even if you are thinking of something very very early, still no. And even if so, you can always reload.

In my playthrough I have had only one occasion where I thought I'd put myself into a dead end. It was near the slow moving bridge platform in the tetris puzzle area that leads to the mountain. I made the bridge turn and then walked off it into the small rock-island with the cage. And I got stuck there, until I re-solved the platform puzzle panel remotely (it was barely visible).

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

In my playthrough I have had only one occasion where I thought I'd put myself into a dead end.

I did that, and the nearby rotating one too. In the first I did as you. In the second, I would have been completely boned, as nothing is visible, but the game put the parts in their needed place.

I do wonder if there's any section that it is absolutely impossible to get yourself out of without reloading. There's one special case I can think of but it's intentional, I'm sure.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, Amy and I have decided that we're all puzzled out, and that we can't make ourselves continue with this game. It's been fun, but we're going to move onto other stuff instead.

HA! It's April, fools! That was a funny joke that none of you saw coming! Here's part 16!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You say that, but after 16 parts I wouldn't blame you if you did give up before the end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You were so frustratingly close on the second to last puzzle you did.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You've got a habit of that, you'll get very close to a solution and then decide to find something different to be wrong about. Like you'll visibly draw the right shape, or you'll cordon off the right thing, and then give up. I think the same kind of thing happened with that second/third subtractions puzzle, where Amy literally drew the correct solution but then decided something was wrong. You'll get there, though, it's a game that is largely about how many times you can call yourself an idiot. I can't count the amount of puzzles I've had trouble with where I've stressed over a solution, only to come back a day later and immediately complete it.

Edit: Talking about the Video puzzles, you might be surprised that you've not found more but I think the first one is kind of put there for you to find, right on the first path out of the fort you start at. The rest are a lot more out of your way. Out of the four I have, I can only remember where three were, and I don't have a clue where the missing ones might be despite having covered a lot of the game so far. Don't fret too much about it.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 1, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah they probably saw those almost solutions while editing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

Edit: Talking about the Video puzzles, you might be surprised that you've not found more but I think the first one is kind of put there for you to find, right on the first path out of the fort you start at. The rest are a lot more out of your way. Out of the four I have, I can only remember where three were, and I don't have a clue where the missing ones might be despite having covered a lot of the game so far. Don't fret too much about it.

They've actually been to and attempted doors leading to three other video puzzles. Two of them had symbols that they didn't recognize (but now are ready for). The third really should've been solved at the time; it had a "yelling at the computer" solution. I believe there's a spoilered timecode earlier in the thread for that.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 2, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Yeah they probably saw those almost solutions while editing.

Yeah, this has actually happened more than once.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013
I'm just going with with it being fairly difficult to think while engaging in witty banter.

Arctos
May 10, 2008
In addition to the quarry and the town you still have at least two areas you haven't finished yet: The dreaded reflection puzzles in the desert and the temple in between the town and the jungle area.

Edit: Oh, and the treehouses!

Arctos fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 2, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how close all these other yellow-brick puzzles are to the main area for them, so you can potentially find a whole bunch of them if you're in the mood.

I also like how the one most convenient place to stand and get yourself to the swamp laser is the one place you absolutely can't drop down because it's where the minus blocks are.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
So, the next part of The Witness will go up tomorrow, as usual, but in the meantime, Amy and I have started playing DreadOut: Keepers of The Dark, since I couldn't wait to play more DreadOut. There won't be a set schedule for these for the time being, since The Witness is the higher priority, but we will be updating pretty often. I hope you enjoy it, and thanks to SSNeoman for bringing this new expansion to our attention!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, as promised, here's part 17! We're back in the village, seeing what we see.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I randomly checked their channel and saw the new episode.
Thanks for the little shout out. It's always nice to hear that people read your posts.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I noticed this on a previous video but the container really shows it. Some rocks/unclimbable objects are there to stop unintended solutions to environment puzzles.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's definitely intentional item placement. We've run unto that a few times, I believe.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
At about 20:40 it seems that you showed a solution to one of the shadow puzzles on the roof across from where you were.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This has nothing to do with the puzzles you're currently working on, but here's a suggestion - you should try going up the mountain once before turning on more lasers, just to see what's going on over there and what the lasers are actually doing. I've seen playthroughs of the game that avoided the mountain until all lasers were on, and the players didn't even realize what turning the lasers on did, because, well, it was already done.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Let me rephrase my previous hint.

Find a cluster of large rocks right near the river bridge to the monastery.

Stand in them. STAY STATIONARY.

Look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Agreed, please go up the mountain at least once please

• Locked thread