Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm too lazy to crawl through all the subtext discussion, but I'll agree with what someone else said that Conroy acted the hell out of that scene.

I'll also add that when I heard joker was in the game a small animated character appeared above my head making resigned jerk-off motions while a sad trumpet played wah wah noises but the implementation has been frankly ace thus far.

As for the game structure itself it seems really... busy? It feels like there are almost too many missions and side quests and collectibles and so on. It's gotten to the point where when the Riddler calls I just imagine someone saying in a thick slavic accent "Hey Cousin Batko! Let's go out and see some big american titties what do you say??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Scaramouche posted:

It's gotten to the point where when the Riddler calls I just imagine someone saying in a thick slavic accent "Hey Cousin Batko! Let's go out and see some big american titties what do you say??"

That's making me imagine Batman and his Rogues Gallery going out bowling. :allears:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That sounds like an episode of Batman '66 that should've been made.

They go surfing and boxing, at least.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I'm too lazy to crawl through all the subtext discussion, but I'll agree with what someone else said that Conroy acted the hell out of that scene.

I'll also add that when I heard joker was in the game a small animated character appeared above my head making resigned jerk-off motions while a sad trumpet played wah wah noises but the implementation has been frankly ace thus far.

As for the game structure itself it seems really... busy? It feels like there are almost too many missions and side quests and collectibles and so on. It's gotten to the point where when the Riddler calls I just imagine someone saying in a thick slavic accent "Hey Cousin Batko! Let's go out and see some big american titties what do you say??"

Spot on.

Regarding this scene, it made me want ro continue playing. It seemed like too much, I wanted it to be a hallucination, and I wanted to progress in hopes of resurrecting Oracle. She's a good character.

Female characters are universally poo poo on in this game. I feel like the making GBS threads on them decisions were all made and then a writer was asked to tweak the dialogue a bit to make them less damselly, or to handwave that aspect. They tried?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

That's making me imagine Batman and his Rogues Gallery going out bowling. :allears:

Two-Face flubs his release and gets a 7-10 split. He can't pick it up because he can only choose one... Joker shoots the other pin with his revolver, makes a pun about "SPARE"ing everyone from the cliche duality crap.

Somebody, write a 66-style Batman:TAS as soon as possible.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

death .cab for qt posted:

Two-Face flubs his release and gets a 7-10 split. He can't pick it up because he can only choose one... Joker shoots the other pin with his revolver, makes a pun about "SPARE"ing everyone from the cliche duality crap.

Meanwhile,Jason sits in the corner and bitches about everyone ignoring him while Firefly keeps trying to set his balls on fire.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

And there's a kid at a birthday party a few lanes down named Terry who is bowling the exact same frames as Bruce

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waffleman_ posted:

I need to catch up on the LP, but here's a bit of Joker news, I thought the thread would appreciate (read:groan):

DC plans to reveal the Joker's one true identity.

I bet it's gonna be an old-school bait-and-switch type thing, like those old "BATMAN DIES IN THIS ISSUE" type covers, where it turns out it's actually just a robot/illusion/innocent nobody dressed in a Batman costume.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, you seem to be having a good time, is it actually enjoyable, or are you making the best of a bad situation?

I don't like hate-LPing. It's why I don't really want to play Arkham Origins: Blackgate, it's not much fun. I really do enjoy this game! The combat is stronger than in Arkham City, predator sections have more options and more dangers. The Bat-tank is a pretty good exercise in prioritization at higher difficulties. I just feel like the story takes a massive dump at various points and I don't know why. And sure, STORIES IN MY COMIC BOOK GAME, but I was kinda expecting better I guess.

Spatula City posted:

My problem with all this is that Batman seems to have aggressively grabbed the Idiot Ball for most of the game so far (excuse me for the TVtropes term, but it's one of the few I like). He should suspect that he's been exposed to fear gas, and OBVIOUSLY he also knows the Joker disease is loving with his mind. And yet he's utterly convinced Barbara is totally, for real, dead. and of course it's all about how he's failed. And of course both Robin and Nightwing will offer to help, and Batman will be like "IT TOO DANGEROUS" even though Scarecrow's actions have made it clear they're already under threat. This version of Batman is a goddamned moron. Is that what Rocksteady was going for? I mean, most versions of Batman I've read would not be dumb enough to fall into the traps Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight have set for Batman. I guess when it comes to video games, because there's a motivation to stretch the game out as long as possible, it's much easier to have Batman repeatedly screw up. Cutscene Incompetence Syndrome is real, friends.

my other issue - it would have been much more daring to have Alfred be the one kidnapped and presumably hallucination-killed.

Batman is far from done making bad Bat-decisions tonight. Also as for the Alfred bit, at this point nobody knows Bruce Wayne is Batman. At least, the Arkham Knight seems to? Oracle/Barbara Gordon isn't exactly a known Batman associate, but she's not someone who would give Bruce Wayne's identity away. Kidnapping Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce Wayne's butler? Different story.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I was kinda hoping that BatJoker would've just started snapping necks... or spines so none of them could have walked again, it could be a little nod to Joker paralyzing Oracle. At least that's what I would've done for that one part to really hammer home Scarecrow saying how brutal Batman became.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

death .cab for qt posted:

Somebody, write a 66-style Batman:TAS as soon as possible.

Did you watch The Brave and the Bold?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I wrong, or wasn't there a TAS episode where Barbara got killed, Gordon found out, and Batman had to deal with the fallout? Seems like they're cribbing a lot from that episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes, Over the Edge.

And not only is all that you said true, it was a Scarecrow hallucination the whole time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
More specifically it was Barbara's hallucination, her greatest fear was what would happen if she died without her Father knowing. When she does try to tell him (With Batman's understanding if not approval) he stops her and makes a cagey statement about how she's her own woman and can make her own decisions while also sort of slyly implying he already figured it out because he is a police detective.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'll continue being a bastard in this thread but that scene really did nothing to or for me, apart from Batman's perfectly delivered lines. She shoots herself - so what? She's a character, her role in the story already was to give Batman some motivation (and sure, there's plenty wrong with that, but nothing new or changed by the suicide scene - or nothing that couldn't be chalked up to shallow characterization since, again, comics) and it happens. It's not an especially gruesome or emotional death either; at least by game standards.
Guess what I'm saying that I don't really see how this scene is worse than what we've seen so far. It's pointless grimdark but that's the Arkham series MO. And I honestly can't start taking a story about a guy who dresses up as a cute fluffy animal in order to scare people seriously on account of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

And I honestly can't start taking a story about a guy who dresses up as a cute fluffy animal in order to scare people seriously on account of it.

We need a Batman that dresses up as a sugar glider.

Okay, yeah, they aren't technically bats, who cares.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Riddler was technically right with his flying squirrel comment: that's the rodent that glides.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

dscruffy1 posted:

I don't like hate-LPing. It's why I don't really want to play Arkham Origins: Blackgate, it's not much fun. I really do enjoy this game! The combat is stronger than in Arkham City, predator sections have more options and more dangers. The Bat-tank is a pretty good exercise in prioritization at higher difficulties. I just feel like the story takes a massive dump at various points and I don't know why. And sure, STORIES IN MY COMIC BOOK GAME, but I was kinda expecting better I guess.

Scruffy, you say that the story takes a massive dump sometimes, and I can definitely see that so far.

Are there any points in the story that you would say are actually good? Or does that game entirely hinge on absolutely fun gameplay and the story is only ever, at best, okay?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Sir Potato posted:

Scruffy, you say that the story takes a massive dump sometimes, and I can definitely see that so far.

Are there any points in the story that you would say are actually good? Or does that game entirely hinge on absolutely fun gameplay and the story is only ever, at best, okay?

The story is generally better in its set pieces, like the blimps that just got finished. There's another one coming up that I feel like is done pretty well. I also like the final confrontation, though not the ending because oh man this ending sucks. Though I will say that for those, the gameplay is twisted in ways that makes it interesting. Something that may not have come across in the final blimp fight, I had to manually pick those guys up off the floor to continue the beatdowns :v:

Much like the bridge with Firefly in Arkham Origins, the game is better when it's focused. Sure, there's still tons of poo poo to do around Gotham, but when the story focuses on what's at hand it tends to handle the characterizations and relationships better. And even when it's building off of some idiot plot point, it still manages to come through fairly well.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I could get behind the idea that they're telling a story of the breaking down of Bruce Wayne, and how his need to have total control of his city is putting him in this awful situation, but the execution seems... misguided. The issue is that Batman is the POV character, so you're basically taking all these bad decisions and dumping them onto the player. Other characters get poo poo on by the writing, because the writing has to be all about Bruce.

I think this game would actually have been really well served by regularly changing up which character you're playing as. I mean, they already tease it with the under-used team up stuff. But if you got to see the same story from the point of view of Nightwing trying to help, or as Barbara gathering intel, or as Catwoman poking around in the places Bats can't get to, you could flesh out the other characters and ALSO give a better perspective on how all this poo poo is affecting Bruce.

Like, imagine the exact same setup, but instead of Catwoman just sitting around bored waiting to be rescued, you got to play as her sneaking around in Riddler's poo poo, solving her own puzzles while Eddie bitches about how those puzzles aren't FOR HER PLEASE STOP THAT, and commenting on how Batman is looking more and more deranged each time he comes back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Tendales posted:

Like, imagine the exact same setup, but instead of Catwoman just sitting around bored waiting to be rescued, you got to play as her sneaking around in Riddler's poo poo, solving her own puzzles while Eddie bitches about how those puzzles aren't FOR HER PLEASE STOP THAT, and commenting on how Batman is looking more and more deranged each time he comes back.

We get pretty close to exactly that as a DLC campaign.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Batman must have the pattern recognition of a child, or at this point he'd be taking a picture every time he sees something weird, sending it to Alfred, and going 'Okay, what is actually going on in front of me?'. Scarecrow is inundating the place with toxin, he's seen that the chemical guy was helping him develop new strains, and he's been doused with the fear juice every time he's interacted with Scarecrow. I mean, he has in the past said to his helper 'I got a dose of feat gas, I was out of it for a while', you'd think he could ask Alfred 'he's messing with my perception again, tell me what I'm actually looking at here'.

Edit: also who is this Metamorpho character that gets referenced in regards to this chemical magnate guy? I've never heard his name before with my rather casual osmosis of comic-dom.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Geomancing posted:

Batman must have the pattern recognition of a child

Well, you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geomancing posted:

Batman must have the pattern recognition of a child, or at this point he'd be taking a picture every time he sees something weird, sending it to Alfred, and going 'Okay, what is actually going on in front of me?'. Scarecrow is inundating the place with toxin, he's seen that the chemical guy was helping him develop new strains, and he's been doused with the fear juice every time he's interacted with Scarecrow. I mean, he has in the past said to his helper 'I got a dose of feat gas, I was out of it for a while', you'd think he could ask Alfred 'he's messing with my perception again, tell me what I'm actually looking at here'.

Edit: also who is this Metamorpho character that gets referenced in regards to this chemical magnate guy? I've never heard his name before with my rather casual osmosis of comic-dom.

How would he know Alfred's response isn't a hallucination as well?

Night10194 posted:

Well, you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hammer a nail.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's worse than that; he should recognise that Scarecrow doses him every time, then think about what just happened in the airship and say "I'm retiring right this second." Nightwing, Robin, Azrael, Batgirl, Batwoman, Commissioner Gordon's people, he's supposed to be smart enough to recognise that his greatest fear is literally coming true and he should be doing whatever it takes to prevent that. That kind of black-and-white thinking is what he's known for in this series, he should be able to say "These people might die doing the right thing, but if I take literally any more gas I will be choosing to rebirth an even worse Joker" and STOP THERE.

It's not just that he's blindly following his guilt over Oracle's kidnapping, it's that he's suddenly decided that Joker-with-Bruce-Wayne's-money-and-Batman's-skill-set is somehow less terrifying than letting a whole team of people Scarecrow wouldn't plan for just kick the poo poo out of the lunatic instead. "Oh no, one of my allies might get hurt!" doesn't hold any water when "All of my allies will die at my hand" is the alternative, seeing as how he hasn't even properly briefed them on his situation. Hell, he hasn't even told them he's hallucinating the Joker!

I get that they're doing Babby's First Critique of Batman, but it utterly fails when this Batman is a twisted version that barely even resembles any other Batman, worse than all of them (including Nolan's trilogy narcissist) except at beating up/terrorising mooks. It's like if you called Superman a terrible, selfish person purely by looking at Smallville. The only interesting thing to do with such an incompetent Batman is to show the rest of his team desperately making up for his shortcomings behind his back, because "a group of infinitely-funded clinically insane convicts were confronted by a similar insane lunatic who also has infinite funding, the world burns around them" is not actually as interesting to experience in slow motion as they think it is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Geomancing posted:

also who is this Metamorpho character that gets referenced in regards to this chemical magnate guy? I've never heard his name before with my rather casual osmosis of comic-dom.

Some guy who he tried to have killed for being into his daughter, I think.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Isn't that the guy whose origin story is he got shot with four different alien rayguns at once, turning him into four different aliens?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Geomancing posted:

They did this in a Batman Beyond episode; Terry was trying to fight a guy and Bruce had to tell him when to swing, when to dodge, when to stop running right the gently caress now because you're about to go off a cliff edge, etc. Insert some conveniently-timed comms interference for added drama.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Given how much the Arkham series loves their "Batman trips balls" moments, I imagine Spellbinder would be a shoo-in if they ever did Arkham Beyond.

Or that one psychic guy that Terry managed to beat on his own in a pretty cool fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkD8w05afsk

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They did this in a Batman Beyond episode; Terry was trying to fight a guy and Bruce had to tell him when to swing, when to dodge, when to stop running right the gently caress now because you're about to go off a cliff edge, etc. Insert some conveniently-timed comms interference for added drama.

Ah, yes, the Spellbinder guy! That was actually a good episode. Some of the stuff he made people hallucinate was awful, like the poor woman who started seeing everything as bugs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Speedball posted:

Isn't that the guy whose origin story is he got shot with four different alien rayguns at once, turning him into four different aliens?

Not in any continuity I'm aware of. In classic DC he was exposed to the Orb of Ra which turned him into what he is. In the DCAU he was exposed to a gas by Stagg because he wanted to kill him for proposing to his daughter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Not in any continuity I'm aware of. In classic DC he was exposed to the Orb of Ra which turned him into what he is. In the DCAU he was exposed to a gas by Stagg because he wanted to kill him for proposing to his daughter.

Aaaaah, I was thinking of Ultra, the Multi-Alien. Who looks similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_the_Multi-Alien

Don't ask me why having a bird's leg lets him fly.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I read this game's Batman as more affected by Joker/toxin than he lets on. His irrational behavior matches up with the affects of the toxin, including his distrust/deception of various allies.

The brutality of the airship climax is way easier to feel while playing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd be down for a hyper competent Batman or Campy happy Batman after this mess. You can only have so much refusal to accept help Batman before it wears thin. "I'll handle it." *Bane breaks out of restraints and derails a train* "It's under control." *Poison Ivy's new gigantic plant starts spreading mushroom spores that grow out of people.* "Stay where you are, I'll deal with this myself." *The undead rise from their graves hungry for the flesh of the living.*

Really in the mood for either honest/realistic Batman who starts off with 'Chemical weapon? There's no way he's using the Ace Chemical building to produce i- You've got to be kidding, really?' or "I don't need your help." *later* 'Nightwing, now!' *Nightwing bursts through the window and lands on two thugs.* 'Thought you didn't need my help?' "I don't, but I do enjoy having company."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given how much the Arkham series loves their "Batman trips balls" moments, I imagine Spellbinder would be a shoo-in if they ever did Arkham Beyond.

Or that one psychic guy that Terry managed to beat on his own in a pretty cool fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkD8w05afsk

Spellbinder would be good to do Scarecrow-like levels like from Asylum. Hell, have Mad Stan take the place of Anarky. Yeah, he's sort of a joke and a parody of that sort of extremism, but with his proclivity for pyrotechnics he's still a credible threat to people. Inque could have a fight like Copperhead's, Venom thugs could be using slappers instead of full injector rigs. Jokerz I'd like to see just be random street thugs. The Royal Flush Gang would have a Most Wanted sidequest of theirs, Stalker could show up as a frenemy, splicers making a new lab as a sidequest or maybe just stand in for Enforcers/Martial Artists depending on their animal DNA, etc. No Return of the Joker stuff since that seems to be what's turning people off, but a few familiar faces from the original series would be nice.

drat it, now it feels like I should write up a prospectus and start looking for investors :|

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurieg posted:

Stagg tried to have him killed in the Original Comic as well and the Orb saved him.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Spellbinder would be good to do Scarecrow-like levels like from Asylum. Hell, have Mad Stan take the place of Anarky. Yeah, he's sort of a joke and a parody of that sort of extremism, but with his proclivity for pyrotechnics he's still a credible threat to people. Inque could have a fight like Copperhead's, Venom thugs could be using slappers instead of full injector rigs. Jokerz I'd like to see just be random street thugs. The Royal Flush Gang would have a Most Wanted sidequest of theirs, Stalker could show up as a frenemy, splicers making a new lab as a sidequest or maybe just stand in for Enforcers/Martial Artists depending on their animal DNA, etc. No Return of the Joker stuff since that seems to be what's turning people off, but a few familiar faces from the original series would be nice.

drat it, now it feels like I should write up a prospectus and start looking for investors :|

Ah man, I forgot how much I liked Beyond.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Also as for the Alfred bit, at this point nobody knows Bruce Wayne is Batman.

If I were Batman, I'd be concerned with random thugs identifying Alfred from the holographic video feed that pops every time they have a chat on speakerphorearm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Espresso Steampunk posted:

If I were Batman, I'd be concerned with random thugs identifying Alfred from the holographic video feed that pops every time they have a chat on speakerphorearm.

When Batman brings that up, the eyes of his cowl change to a glowing white. It seems to be only him that's able to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kurieg posted:

Metamorpho is actually one of those "looks like a goof, has the powers of a god" kind of characters. His moniker of the "element man" indicates he can turn into any basic element, which is almost never actually done in the books. E.g. surrounded by bad guys? Surprise I'm 200lbs of Polonium, enjoy your slow lingering death poo poo lords.

• Locked thread