Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teenage Fansub posted:

Luthor is the complete miniseries.

e: and Hush is one thing.

Fair point, but it's still pretty barren and the prices don't even seem good for the most part.

bobkatt013 posted:

The sale is dogshit. I hope they get some issues up tonight.

Yeah the last bogo sale shits all over this one. I mean look at all the stuff Marvel is doing for just Daredevil Season 2. DC should be having a ridiculously large sale both in price and quantity. This should be impulse buy gold. I know I grabbed a ton of stuff during the Graphic Novel bogo...I'm just confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

Fair point, but it's still pretty barren and the prices don't even seem good for the most part.

Yeah the last bogo sale shits all over this one. I mean look at all the stuff Marvel is doing for just Daredevil Season 2. DC should be having a ridiculously large sale both in price and quantity. This should be impulse buy gold. I know I grabbed a ton of stuff during the Graphic Novel bogo...I'm just confused.

Remember the sale they had for Flash Season 1? It had a poo poo ton of issues like the entire Wally West run.
Remember the Batman 75 sale? Almost all the batman issues they had for 99 cents.
Tonight they should put up a poo poo ton of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Women runs on sale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hopefully there's a giant one for Rebirth.
Maybe it'll be time for a subscription service!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hopefully there's a giant one for Rebirth.
Maybe it'll be time for a subscription service!

This is DC we're talking about.
Are the Rebirth books even getting digital codes?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
:siren:Free Batman/Superman comic by Jeph Loeb.:siren:

Superman/Batman: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice Special Edition #1: http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Batman-Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice-Special-Edition-1/digital-comic/346500

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

:siren:Free Batman/Superman comic by Jeph Loeb.:siren:

Superman/Batman: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice Special Edition #1: http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Batman-Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice-Special-Edition-1/digital-comic/346500

I always loved the super brief origin of the two in the start of this book. Shame the free book isn't the amazing Special from Batman/Superman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Should I buy all eight issues of the original Punisher War Journal that are on sale too late just did

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How's the Dave Gibbons/Steve Rude World's Finest mini that's on sale? Solid creative team.

Finished reading it, solid 3-parter with several "how the other guy does it" mirror montages. Classic portrayals, complete opposite of Batman v Superman in tone.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
It looks like there's a bunch of stuff that  isn't  wasn't being advertised due to the Bats v. Supes frontpage takeover.

Plutona #1-3
Descender #1-9, Vol. 1
Emitown Vol. 1 & 2

Vampirella (2014) #1-13, #100, Vol. 1 & 2
Vampirella (2011) #1-38, Vol. 1-4

30 Days of Night
Dark Days
Return to Barrow
Beyond Barrow
Red Snow
Annual 2005
2011 Ongoing Vol. 1-3

Punisher War Journal
Punisher War Journal (1988) #1-8
Punisher War Journal (2006) #1-26, Annual #1
Punisher: War Zone (2008) #1-6

Titan Comics Dreamworks Sale
Dragons: Riders of Berk Vol. 1-6
Kung Fu Panda #1-4
Home #1-4
Penguins of Madagascar #1-4
Dreamworks Classics Vol. 1: Shrek & Madagascar

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even through I remember reading it as a kid in the 90s and it being Grant Morrison, but does JLA still hold up? I noticed JLA volume 1 is part of the otherwise lackluster DC sale.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

Even through I remember reading it as a kid in the 90s and it being Grant Morrison, but does JLA still hold up? I noticed JLA volume 1 is part of the otherwise lackluster DC sale.

absofuckinlutely.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rirse posted:

Yes, so much yes. I read the entire run a couple weeks ago again. Still my favorite JLA/JL run I've ever read.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bought. Hope the other Morrison runs go on sale as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Double post, but Hawkguy sale.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Still in shock how good Marvel is at tie in digital sales while DC is so so bad at them. Marvel had Daredevil come out and had a sale on a bunch of Daredevil comics. Classic series, Bendis, Bru, Miller, and Waid were all on sale. DC had Superman v Batman and it was just a small sale on trade and the brave and the bold. No huge sale on Superman/Batman/Wonder woman comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trinity is real bad, so probably for the best no one spent more money on that tripe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Still in shock how good Marvel is at tie in digital sales while DC is so so bad at them. Marvel had Daredevil come out and had a sale on a bunch of Daredevil comics. Classic series, Bendis, Bru, Miller, and Waid were all on sale. DC had Superman v Batman and it was just a small sale on trade and the brave and the bold. No huge sale on Superman/Batman/Wonder woman comics.

No, see, if they sold a bunch of comics that are out of print and not available any other way in the primary market, then comics stores would get mad... for some reason.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They DID have awesome sales not too long ago. Remember the Convergence ones with stuff like Kyle Baker's complete Plastic Man debuting, which had never even been entirely collected.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 28, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

They DID have awesome sales not too long ago. Remember the Convergence ones with stuff like Kyle Baker's complete Plastic Man debuting, which had never even been entirely collected.

Yes they have had awesome sales, but there tie in sales can be either really good, or dire like this one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gaz-L posted:

No, see, if they sold a bunch of comics that are out of print and not available any other way in the primary market, then comics stores would get mad... for some reason.

That does make me wonder if there is any market for brick and mortar back issue shops anymore. I know my local comic shop only sells new issues along with toys and games, and the only back issues they carry are new stuff that didn't sell. I remember going back issue hunting as a kid all the time, I wonder what killed that more - digital comics (pirated or legit), or eBay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wouldn't be buying singles at all if it wasn't for digital. Them shits are expensive in New Zealand.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Medullah posted:

That does make me wonder if there is any market for brick and mortar back issue shops anymore. I know my local comic shop only sells new issues along with toys and games, and the only back issues they carry are new stuff that didn't sell. I remember going back issue hunting as a kid all the time, I wonder what killed that more - digital comics (pirated or legit), or eBay.

I still see them in some second hand book stores, but that's about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Exclusively back issues? Probably not. I don't think I've seen one...ever, really. At best, used book stores much have some quarter bins, but that's about it. Even stores specializing in new comics rarely seem particularly keen to keep lots of back issues around unless they're particularly large. Rhyno talks about it on occasion, and it sounds like they offer little to people trying to offload collections, and price leftover back issues fairly aggressively.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My local shop keeps back issues. I have never, ever seen anyone looking through them. They just take up space and make the place look like a poo poo hole. No competition = no need to change.

I do see a (small) market for them selling complete runs, especially if they are well regarded, over single issues. Like, they've had the complete Infinite Gauntlet run for sale.

$0.50 bins are rife at comic cons.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There is a used-bookstore chain called 2nd & Charles that "specializes" in trade-ins and racks upon racks of used books (including comics and trades), but it's more like a GameStop for books. Newer, retail-price books will be laced throughout the selection. Finding a gem at a surprisingly low price is still cool, if rare.

I know a comic store in my area that's been through some transformations. It used to be an all-in-one type deal, with new stuff, old stuff, tabletop gaming, the works. Then the gaming was allowed to shrink to expand the comics and collectibles. Then the gaming was eliminated to create a used book space. Then the comics went all-oldies. They have a decent selection, and they take trade-ins, but I like to follow some series as they come out and so they lost me as a regular. Also, the one time I unloaded some HCs on them, they gave me a spiel about how they had to lowball me on their offer because they'd have to mark down all my books for resale... then shelved them at full price. Oh well, got my money's worth to free up some shelf space relatively quickly.

I don't know if all-oldies is more profitable, but it's demoralizing to the local nerds. I want to support local shops!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wouldn't be buying singles at all if it wasn't for digital. Them shits are expensive in New Zealand.
drat US Dollar :(

It's ~tolerable~ where I am in Australia, but if it goes up too much I'll have to seriously pair it back.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There's a Star Wars (Legends) collections sale on Comixology. Are there any good ones in there?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm lucky to live near several good comic shops, but one eliminated its back issue selection completely a few years ago, and the others are slowly shrinking theirs. They used to have great selections of '80s-'00s DC books, but when the New 52 started, most of the older stuff disappeared in favor of keeping endless back issues of the current runs on hand (pricing them at $4.50 and up). One of them also started packaging complete storylines and runs together, always at a markup.

Our local chain of shops just had a "Buy Two Issues, Get One Free" sale on Saturday. I visited two of their locations, and was sad when I couldn't find three back issues I wanted at either store.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/The-Walking-Dead-Sale/page/10164?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Punisher-Sale/page/10165?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Note: These comics aren't available on Marvel Unlimited.

https://www.comixology.com/Image-Discovery-Sale/page/10207?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Kodansha-Sale/page/10168?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Speaking of lousy sales, I don't think Kodansha has ever put anything besides Volume 1's on sale.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That image sale is pretty bogus, too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why? The trades are discounted too, if you didn't see that.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Only volume 1s, as far as I can tell (I'm hurtin for more east of west)

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I recommend The Drops of God; it's educational! Bullshit your way through any wine-tasting session with these 9 Easy Tips

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The Kodansha sale is disappointing in that it's all Vol 1s but there is some awesome stuff (n.b. I am going by the anime versions for some of these) there depending on your taste like Attack on Titan, Fairy Tale, Flowers of Evil, Inuyashiki, and Witch Craft Works.

Any recommendations for which freebies to get from the Image sale? I already have a lot of the stuff listed so I am left with:

Outcast
Wytches
Fade Out
Black Science
Nailbiter
Starve

I already put Black Science in my cart and I'm thinking about Fade Out too. The trade I got was Injection, but The Manhattan Projects is tempting too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can you do the sale twice with two trades? MP is fantastic.
My three out of that list would be Wytches, Fade Out and Starve. I haven't tried Starve, but I'd like to.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That is a really good question actually.

Edit just tried it, once you add the code to your basket it basically gives you 3 issues per collection.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hup posted:

Only volume 1s, as far as I can tell (I'm hurtin for more east of west)

Yeah, strange that a sale intended to let people discover new comics would only offer the first volumes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much of that Punisher MAX run should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

How much of that Punisher MAX run should I get?

1-60 if you got that to spend. if you wanna be more conservative, 1-36.