Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I've been going through booking hell for the past week or so, but to cut a long story short: somehow the price of my flight (LAX -> IST) dropped to <$1000 literally as I booked it. Like, it wouldn't let me book because the price had changed, redid my search, and the flights were generally cheaper all around.

:iiam:

Sounds like a good thing??? :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I've been going through booking hell for the past week or so, but to cut a long story short: somehow the price of my flight (LAX -> IST) dropped to <$1000 literally as I booked it. Like, it wouldn't let me book because the price had changed, redid my search, and the flights were generally cheaper all around.

:iiam:

Ride it 'till the wheels fall off.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Sounds like a good thing??? :ms:

Mackieman posted:

Ride it 'till the wheels fall off.

:toot:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Oddly enough, terrorist bombings in the neighborhood I'll be staying in hasn't dropped prices.

Onward ho.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
Looking to book in June for a 2.5 week trip from Calgary to Europe (multi-flight).

Flying YYC -> BUD (1 stopover)
and AMS -> YYC (Direct)

Saw it as low as $1250, spiked up to ~$1450 and back down to around ~$1262. About 10 weeks away - best just to hop on it? Was hoping for a little bit of a dip but I'm pretty happy with that price. Used to paying a little less but I haven't flown to Europe in the summertime in many years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Book that asap

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pieces posted:

Looking to book in June for a 2.5 week trip from Calgary to Europe (multi-flight).

Flying YYC -> BUD (1 stopover)
and AMS -> YYC (Direct)

Saw it as low as $1250, spiked up to ~$1450 and back down to around ~$1262. About 10 weeks away - best just to hop on it? Was hoping for a little bit of a dip but I'm pretty happy with that price. Used to paying a little less but I haven't flown to Europe in the summertime in many years.

I'm guessing you're flying KLM? That's the best price I've seen this year, so I'd go for it.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm guessing you're flying KLM? That's the best price I've seen this year, so I'd go for it.

Yeah KLM. Delta kept giving me the 'price has changed on this flight' message so I booked it at $1350. Good enough - I'd rather fly KLM direct anyday over Air Canada with stopovers at Pearson for a few hundred.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pieces posted:

Yeah KLM. Delta kept giving me the 'price has changed on this flight' message so I booked it at $1350. Good enough - I'd rather fly KLM direct anyday over Air Canada with stopovers at Pearson for a few hundred.

If you're not flying directly to or from Amsterdam, I find that British Airways generally has the best prices out of Calgary, and their in-flight service is really good. Changing in Heathrow is also pretty easy, provided that you're flying BA the whole way. I checked BA for the general dates you mentioned, and I got $1380 round-trip, for example. I got $1480 round-trip to Madrid in May, in Premium Economy. I think regular economy would've been something like $900 or $950.

Obviously having a direct flight is better, but it's something to keep in mind if you're not beginning or ending your trip in Amsterdam in the future. Agreed 100% on the "gently caress Air Canada and gently caress Pearson" sentiment, although generally their European itineraries out of Calgary will route you through Frankfurt instead of Pearson (which is really just a different corner of hell).

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I posted this question in the SEA thread but was advised to post here as well.

I plan on traveling to Bangkok in May with my wife and 2 kids. I checked the a few of those flight aggregator sites and it seems like the cheapest flights are United with a transfer to ANA in Tokyo followed by Emirates through Dubai which is a few hundred more than the United flight.

The universal opinion in the SEA thread was United is horrible, and Emirates ranged from its good to great. The Emirates also has a more favorable return flight time from Bangkok.

I guess I am just looking for some more opinions on the carriers as well as maybe some other options I may be missing before I go and drop 4kish on tickets.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Can you give your dates (or a range) and your to/from? I can dig around and double check that you're not missing anything.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Emirates is definitely a better airline than United, but honestly I'd probably do United through Tokyo rather than going all the way to Dubai and then back to Bangkok. Off the top of my head you're probably adding an extra 8 hours of being in the air by doing that Emirates flight and that's just absolutely not worth it, especially with two kids.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's if he's coming from the west coast, if he's coming from the east coast I think it's about even.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Can you give your dates (or a range) and your to/from? I can dig around and double check that you're not missing anything.

May 16th to June 3rd. From DC metro area to Bangkok. Can't do any earlier than May 16th but could possibly delay a day or two if its significant difference. On the return could go +/- 1 on either side probably. I am back to work on June 6th so I don't want to cut it too close.

HookShot posted:

Emirates is definitely a better airline than United, but honestly I'd probably do United through Tokyo rather than going all the way to Dubai and then back to Bangkok. Off the top of my head you're probably adding an extra 8 hours of being in the air by doing that Emirates flight and that's just absolutely not worth it, especially with two kids.

It doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. Emirates is 21h there 22h return. The United is 24h there 20h return roughly. Both have hour and a half layovers in their respective airports on each end. Between the two it mainly comes down to price, departure times and airline reputation I guess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

That's if he's coming from the west coast, if he's coming from the east coast I think it's about even.

I can't speak for HookShot, but I totally read SEA as Seattle, not Southeast Asia...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

hitachi posted:

May 16th to June 3rd. From DC metro area to Bangkok. Can't do any earlier than May 16th but could possibly delay a day or two if its significant difference. On the return could go +/- 1 on either side probably. I am back to work on June 6th so I don't want to cut it too close.

It doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. Emirates is 21h there 22h return. The United is 24h there 20h return roughly. Both have hour and a half layovers in their respective airports on each end. Between the two it mainly comes down to price, departure times and airline reputation I guess.

Yeah that United/ANA flight is your best price. That arrival time sucks, but at least you can go right to sleep on arrival at your hotel. Narita is a nice airport, so you have that going for you. United is average for long haul. If the prices weren't that far off I'd go with Emirates, but you would be saving several hundred dollars with United. Ticket price is actually pretty good for a flight to SEA, though you are going at the start of the rainy season. Hope you've got rain gear!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

I can't speak for HookShot, but I totally read SEA as Seattle, not Southeast Asia...

Yeah, same. Looks like we were wrong. Going from Seattle to Bangkok through Dubai makes zero sense, the idea of doing that hurts my brain so I'm glad that's not actually what he was considering.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

Yeah, same. Looks like we were wrong. Going from Seattle to Bangkok through Dubai makes zero sense, the idea of doing that hurts my brain so I'm glad that's not actually what he was considering.

When I was younger I went on a vacation with my parents that sent us LGA->BOS->IAH->LAX->GUM -> SYD.

That was the last time I let my dad handle booking flights.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

HookShot posted:

If you're not connecting twice, you're not trying. :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

When I was younger I went on a vacation with my parents that sent us LGA->BOS->IAH->LAX->GUM -> SYD.

That was the last time I let my dad handle booking flights.

Jesus Christ, did that take like 40 hours or something total? :stare:

The dumbest I've ever personally done was KEF -> CDG (landing at 6am) and then 24 hours later CDG -> AMS -> YYC -> YVR. But I knew what I was getting into and with our schedule it actually saved my husband and I around $800pp and we decided that one day of total hell that resulted in us sleeping in the lobby of a lovely airport hotel in the middle of an industrial area until 3pm when check in opened was totally worth it.

Mackieman posted:

If you're not connecting twice, you're not trying. :colbert:
One connection that's almost an entire continent away from your actual destination should count as two connections.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

Jesus Christ, did that take like 40 hours or something total? :stare:

41. :smithicide:

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I am planning for an upcoming trip and I just want to see if I am missing anything when looking for fares.

Sea-Tac to Las Vegas
Flexible around the weekend of August 12th, but planning on flying in and out when it is cheap.

I am watching southwest fares, they were around $90-110 round trip, but they went up a little. It looks like spirit is comparable, but I hear they are pretty terrible so if the prices are close I would prefer southwest. Alaska flies there as well but it looks like they're $50 ish more.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I am planning for an upcoming trip and I just want to see if I am missing anything when looking for fares.

Sea-Tac to Las Vegas
Flexible around the weekend of August 12th, but planning on flying in and out when it is cheap.

I am watching southwest fares, they were around $90-110 round trip, but they went up a little. It looks like spirit is comparable, but I hear they are pretty terrible so if the prices are close I would prefer southwest. Alaska flies there as well but it looks like they're $50 ish more.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

That is goddamn cheap and I would book it immediately.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Please don't ever fly Spirit. I would walk to my destination on a path composed of nothing but broken glass before I flew Spirit again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haggling over any flights under $200 is scrub tier so just go for it

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Thanks for all the information.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah that United/ANA flight is your best price. That arrival time sucks, but at least you can go right to sleep on arrival at your hotel. Narita is a nice airport, so you have that going for you. United is average for long haul. If the prices weren't that far off I'd go with Emirates, but you would be saving several hundred dollars with United. Ticket price is actually pretty good for a flight to SEA, though you are going at the start of the rainy season. Hope you've got rain gear!

Looks like the United/ANA flight doesn't allow seat reservations until check in at the airport and wife doesn't want to risk getting split up. Gonna call them tomorrow to see if it is just a website thing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm looking for flights from Zurich to Chicago in mid-July and all the prices I can find are like crazy expensive, around $1000. Flights in June (and basically any other set of dates) are more like $600-700. Oddly flights seem to skyrocket in price for any date departing after the 16th of June, regardless of return date, and they don't go down again until the end of August.

Are flights really just like half again as expensive in mid-summer to a major airport like O'Hare, or is there something I'm missing? I have some flexibility on dates but have to be in Chicago the 15th-17th of July and am buying two tickets, so saving $300/each would be a pretty substantial cut. The best I'm seeing right now is $950 with a 2.5 hour stop in ATL from Jul13–Jul[any-date-the-following-week]

Edit: wow, flying out of Munich is a poo poo ton cheaper -- $550 -- but this flight stops working the 8th of July and only starts again the 17th of August, wtf. Jul 7–Jul17 MUN->ORD is $550 with a 2 hr layover in IAD. I'd rather not do that, but it's worth saving $900 (~$500/ticket - cost of train). The ticket price literally doubles departing the 8th of Jul (or any date after) vs. departing 7 Jul (or any day before). This is probably the biggest price discrepancy over a small time period I've ever seen, for weekday travel.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

hitachi posted:

Looks like the United/ANA flight doesn't allow seat reservations until check in at the airport and wife doesn't want to risk getting split up. Gonna call them tomorrow to see if it is just a website thing.

I highly doubt they will split you up, especially with children. Call United and explain your situation and they should figure something out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I highly doubt they will split you up, especially with children. Call United and explain your situation and they should figure something out.

My guess is they make money by charging for advance seat selection, so I doubt they'll do it for free (but I likewise doubt it's completely unavailable). If it's something you want, you should factor the extra fee into the cost of the tickets.

(Mind you, I think all airlines keep some seats reserved for families travelling with kids and such, so you might be able to get it free by asking nicely and explaining the situation -- I can't say, because I've not been in that situation, I've only seen the phantom "reserved seats")

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If your wife is the type to freak out about potentially not being seated together she's probably also the type to insist you're at the airport five hours before departure time so if no one's allowed seat selection in advance you'll almost certainly be there early enough to get seats together anyway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The system should automatically seat you together unless an improbable number of single travelers pay to reserve seats in advance.
If I recall correctly, the ANA website allows seat selection 1 month in advance.

Zurich goon: $1000 for transoceanic isn't "crazy expensive" lol. That's an excellent price, and that Munich fare is too good to believe.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

peanut posted:

The system should automatically seat you together unless an improbable number of single travelers pay to reserve seats in advance.
If I recall correctly, the ANA website allows seat selection 1 month in advance.

Zurich goon: $1000 for transoceanic isn't "crazy expensive" lol. That's an excellent price, and that Munich fare is too good to believe.

Depending on when you travel and your destination, transoceanic travel can definitely be had for less than $1000, in most instances (Western Europe) you can probably get there in the $600-$800 range.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peanut posted:

I fly transatlantic several times a year, and flying from central Europe to central US and east coast is typically more like $600-$800. I flew last year to NYC on a Saturday -> Sunday (8 day) trip and it was like $650 in mid-June, and I flew to Houston in August for like $800.

Yeah the Munich fare is ridiculously good, but I was expecting to find a flight more like $750-$850. I'm seriously considering going 4 days earlier than I want to just to save the $1k on flights. (I'll have a free place to stay.) It's $1300 for the nonstop directly from ZRH, but saving 4 hours of train + 6 hours of flight both ways isn't quite worth $800 per ticket.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

If your wife is the type to freak out about potentially not being seated together she's probably also the type to insist you're at the airport five hours before departure time so if no one's allowed seat selection in advance you'll almost certainly be there early enough to get seats together anyway.

This is giving me awful flashbacks to my childhood, and that was pre-9/11. We'd've probably camped in a caravan outside the airport if I was a kid today.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

hitachi posted:

United allows seat selection at booking; the only way you wouldn't be able to select a seat is if the economy cabin is already full or you're not actually on a United ticket. You won't be able to select seats on your ANA flight until 30 days out, and even then only on the ANA website. Assuming you booked your ticket with United (your ticket number starts with 016), you can get your ANA reservation number from United (either via united.com or by calling and asking for the ANA PNR from the agent) and then plug the ANA reservation number into the ANA site and see what your seat options are.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

This is giving me awful flashbacks to my childhood, and that was pre-9/11. We'd've probably camped in a caravan outside the airport if I was a kid today.

Hahahaha at least 9/11 didn't make my mom any worse than she is now, but yeah this was my childhood too.

I maintain it's probably part of the reason that on multiple occasions I've cut it so fine that I've been on the list of people allowed to skip the entire line at security so they can make their flights. TAKE THAT MOM.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Hahahaha at least 9/11 didn't make my mom any worse than she is now, but yeah this was my childhood too.

I maintain it's probably part of the reason that on multiple occasions I've cut it so fine that I've been on the list of people allowed to skip the entire line at security so they can make their flights. TAKE THAT MOM.

My mom is like this too, and I've inherited it to some degree (I also like layovers with plenty of time for fuckups to occur and be handled without me missing my flight), which is one of the reason why I am ANGRY ABOUT LOUNGES so much. My Dad, on the other hand, hates waiting at the airport, so he and my mom constantly drive each other completely loving mad and I can't travel with both of them together any more, because it drives me nuts.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Question on pretty unstructured one-way travel re escaping West Africa to America, but with a couple weeks in the middle to muck around in Europe:

Origin (airport you're starting from): ROB, Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa

Destination (airport you're going to): Los Angeles, California

Duration of trip with dates (Saying you want to be gone for three weeks isn't helpful. When are you leaving? Approximations are fine): I'll be leaving Liberia around the start of May, and need to be in Los Angeles no later than 17 May for a wedding. Whatever happens in between is fine as long as I can get out of West Africa.

Flexibility (able to leave early or late, different days, or do you have a hard date when you must start and/or end?) Flexible in that I can fly whenever, but I won't know that I'm done with this job until about a week before I am done, so might be booking ROB-Europe on semi-short notice at the end of April or start of May.

I guess the weird aspect is that I have a hard date to reach Los Angeles, but not really sure when I'm arriving in Europe, and fares in and out of Africa can be hard to suss out online since the search engines don't cover them smoothly and give horrendous 37 hour routes for $1000 when I managed to get an 8 hour route for $800 by just contacting Air Maroc for a quote.

Would my likely best path just to be:
a) book a ticket now, arriving in Los Angeles on 17 May, from whichever Western European city is cheapest/fastest
b) when I figure out when I can leave Liberia, just go to the major airlines' offices in town and ask what's the cheapest and soonest (and hopefully least-layover) flight to get me anywhere in Western Europe
c) arrive in Western Europe sometime in early May, and just work up a fun travel plan to get me from my arrival point in Europe to my exit point from Europe.

Example: this week I could book a $650 flight from Barcelona to Los Angeles arriving on 17 May. In late April the boss says "you can clear out as of 2 May" so I just bounce around offices in Monrovia asking airlines what's cheapest, and Air Brussels sells me a $900 flight to Brussels arriving 4 May, so then I just dick around for two weeks wandering down towards Barcelona to make my LA flight. Does that seem a logical way to do it, or am I totally missing something here?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Question on pretty unstructured one-way travel re escaping West Africa to America, but with a couple weeks in the middle to muck around in Europe:

Origin (airport you're starting from): ROB, Monrovia, Liberia, West Africa

Destination (airport you're going to): Los Angeles, California

Duration of trip with dates (Saying you want to be gone for three weeks isn't helpful. When are you leaving? Approximations are fine): I'll be leaving Liberia around the start of May, and need to be in Los Angeles no later than 17 May for a wedding. Whatever happens in between is fine as long as I can get out of West Africa.

Flexibility (able to leave early or late, different days, or do you have a hard date when you must start and/or end?) Flexible in that I can fly whenever, but I won't know that I'm done with this job until about a week before I am done, so might be booking ROB-Europe on semi-short notice at the end of April or start of May.

I guess the weird aspect is that I have a hard date to reach Los Angeles, but not really sure when I'm arriving in Europe, and fares in and out of Africa can be hard to suss out online since the search engines don't cover them smoothly and give horrendous 37 hour routes for $1000 when I managed to get an 8 hour route for $800 by just contacting Air Maroc for a quote.

Would my likely best path just to be:
a) book a ticket now, arriving in Los Angeles on 17 May, from whichever Western European city is cheapest/fastest
b) when I figure out when I can leave Liberia, just go to the major airlines' offices in town and ask what's the cheapest and soonest (and hopefully least-layover) flight to get me anywhere in Western Europe
c) arrive in Western Europe sometime in early May, and just work up a fun travel plan to get me from my arrival point in Europe to my exit point from Europe.

Example: this week I could book a $650 flight from Barcelona to Los Angeles arriving on 17 May. In late April the boss says "you can clear out as of 2 May" so I just bounce around offices in Monrovia asking airlines what's cheapest, and Air Brussels sells me a $900 flight to Brussels arriving 4 May, so then I just dick around for two weeks wandering down towards Barcelona to make my LA flight. Does that seem a logical way to do it, or am I totally missing something here?
No, that seems like a pretty nifty way to do what you're looking for. Royal Air Maroc has decent fares to BRU or TXL that don't require insane connections or layovers. Ten buy a separate fare to LAX for 8/17. Do keep in mind that you're talking about one-ways and those tend to be very expensive compared to round trip fares for trans-atlantic flights. Also, make sure you're not going to have any citizenship issues as some countries don't want to let you in if you can't show proof of planned egress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
I feel like I really screwed up. I am looking to go to Prague on June 2 and fly back from Oslo on June 13 (dates not flexible). A couple weeks ago I found this on Delta:
RDU->JFK->PRG and return: OSL->AMS->BOS->RDU for $1282. Apparently I should have jumped on that because now everything is around $1600. Should I just get it now at this price and try not to cry at the $400 difference?