Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
oops I forgot to do the gunz here it is right quick

Gun range in school

Guns and Hillz

Lies drat lies and statistics

Homeland security bullets

palm slam the DVD

Shoot first

Pretend I posted a bunch of "reasons we shot people this month" images here

Piss you off

Keep calm and

Man Mike Rowe is the flavor of the month

Charlie Daniels meanwhile is flavor of the year. They post poo poo by him at least a half dozen times a week

poo poo storm

More guns for everyone all the time! Got problems? GUNS GUNS GUNS

See?

ugh don't make me defend Ye

quit walking down the railroad tracks that's not safe

This was with a news article. content unimportant

Entitlements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Did we serve together?

You and me? Highly unlikely, as I've never been military. You and him? Depends, were you stationed in Hawaii?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is that actually a real gun? Was it designed specifically to compensate?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Defenestration posted:

Gun range in school

We had a range at my high school. It's still there, but they shoot air rifles instead of .22 like back in my day.

:corsair:

Shooting is fun and kids should be taught how to handle a firearm safely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

This was with a news article. content unimportant
Proper meth labs are expensive. Is this the fault of Muslims? I've heard that they can be highly prohibitionist, but I'm not sure how much influence they hold.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I beat even big tough army mans have heard of Kanye West.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

It looks like The Patriot from Metal Gear Solid 3. It has inf. ammo because the feeding mechanism is shaped like an ∞ symbol.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most common one is "well this poor E-1 in the army only makes like $16,000 a year!" and I generally respond to that with "yeah he deserves a raise too." It shuts people up pretty quick and I have yet to encounter somebody that even has an argument against that. Then again the :siren: ARE TROUPS!!!! :siren: types don't seem to think that maybe, just maybe the problem is that soldiers are underpaid too.

I've heard the arguments that veterans and military folk have EARNED their benefits. I'm not taking anything away from those in the army, but it's hard to argue that a rising tide lifts all ships when that hero worship mentality is so strong in this country.

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Lies drat lies and statistics

The gently caress do these percentages mean? That's not even lying with stats it's just making poo poo up

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

IllIllIll posted:

The gently caress do these percentages mean? That's not even lying with stats it's just making poo poo up

Obviously these percentages mean its technically impossible for an african american person to also be a police officer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

IllIllIll posted:

Well, I notice that the lines beginning with "Whites" and "Blacks" each add up to 100 respectively. I suppose it means of the White people who are killed, 81% of them are killed by Blacks.

Also Police are neither White nor Black I guess.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

IllIllIll posted:

They don't mean jackshit:

http://qz.com/556988/here-are-four-charts-on-race-and-murder-in-america-to-tweet-back-at-donald-trump/

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/trump-retweets-bogus-crime-graphic/

But whatever, all black people are clearly hood bangin' murderers out to kill each other.

I also find it hilarious that "Blacks killed by police~ 1%" is highlighted for some reason but "Whites killed by police~ 3%" is right below is not. Is that trying to make some bogus point that cops are more afraid to kill black people?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

IllIllIll posted:

Fact Check debunked this exact image last year... after Trump re-tweeted it: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/trump-retweets-bogus-crime-graphic/

Like one or two of those numbers are vaguely (and likely totally coincidentally) correct but way out of context. The most "shocking" numbers for the presumed readership are completely backasswards: of 3,000-some whites killed in 2015, 84% were by other whites, and similarly 90% of black victims killed by other black people. No huge surprise there, people tend to kill people they know or that live around them, so in a stratified/segregated country like the US, people tend to kill people like themselves.

It *would* be startling if 81% of white victims were killed by black perpetrators... but it's totally factually incorrect. I'm sure your friend will issue a retraction if this is pointed out to them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

Its a standard AR-15 style gun with some drum magazines. Those are pretty much for idiots who are really into the tacilol lifestyle. It's designed to really show off at the range.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CitizenKain posted:

Its a standard AR-15 style gun with some drum magazines. Those are pretty much for idiots who are really into the tacilol lifestyle. It's designed to really show off at the range.

Its basically truck nuts, except with guns.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Defenestration posted:

Gun range in school

pretty sure the answer is 'because america is racist as poo poo and didn't want black kids to learn how to shoot once desegregation became the law of the land'

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

Are they actually capable of holding huge amounts of ammunition or are they limited for regulatory reasons to what a less erotic magazine would hold?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloodnose posted:

Are they actually capable of holding huge amounts of ammunition or are they limited for regulatory reasons to what a less erotic magazine would hold?
They generally hold about 100 rounds, though they also jam like hell without perfect maintenance.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

They generally hold about 100 rounds, though they also jam like hell without perfect maintenance.

def a metaphor

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

Its basically truck nuts, except with guns.

That more or less describes a large majority of accessories for guns. Although truck nuts just look stupid, that drum mag is likely awkward as poo poo and looks stupid.

Bloodnose posted:

That carries 100 rounds. Although its doubtful anyone could actually fire that many rounds out of it before it jams, those things are finicky as hell.

I'm not up to date on state to state gun laws, but pretty much anywhere outside of California you could walk into a store and buy/order one. If you lived in CA, you'd just drive to Nevada and buy it and then not tell anyone.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Tenebrais posted:

It looks like an M4/16 (or knockoff style) with nothing on the front rails and the stock ironsight/suitcase handle combo, but with a double drum mag. They're generally a minimum of 100 rounds, and once you rip through the whole drum (or more likely, it develops and internal jam or outright breaks), good luck reloading because if you're the kind of person who owns something like this, in my experience you're not the kind of person who spends a couple hours a week doing reloading drills meaning that you're unlikely to be able to swap a standard mag in a reasonably short time much less manhandle one of these enormous heavy fuckers into your weapon. In the middle of the enormous shootout you and your post-apocalypse buddies are having with with Hordes Of Generic, Menacing Enemies no less!

Seriously, there's a reason they don't issue this garbage in the military and it isn't just the price tag; there's just not a real reason to have something like this because in theory one out of every four infantry soldiers is armed with a real light machine gun, which while notorious for being finicky as gently caress is nowhere near on the level of poo poo like this. If you're in a scenario where you need to have that kind of firepower, but you're not a member of some kind of combat group with at least a modicum of training, the last thing you want is to gently caress around with dick-waving drum mags. And, at least the M249 was designed to be frequently disassembled and reassembled for cleaning and maintenance. I guarantee you run a 50% chance of breaking these mags somehow every time you open them up.

Ron Jeremy posted:

We had a range at my high school. It's still there, but they shoot air rifles instead of .22 like back in my day.

Shooting is fun and kids should be taught how to handle a firearm safely.

I graduated in 2003 and we had an air rifle range which used to be for .22s in the basement of the gym building, I was on the rifle team and it was a blast overall! Also, I was told by the senior JROTC instructor that the main motivation for switching from the (breech-loading) firearms to the air rifles was financial; apparently there were a ton of little savings to be had when the schools were no longer storing live ammunition in terms of insurance coverage and extra safety systems. Not to mention what's happened to the cost of .22 rounds over the last 5-6 years.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Arguing with someone about "narcs." As in, reporting anything short of rape and murder to anyone is you being a narc. And as a narc, as a snitch, you should be punished just the same as the person doing the crime because you are a snitch.

How the gently caress do people get to be legal adults and still whine that snitches get stitches? Being a narc only matters when you report something THEY do, not anyone else.

And of course he's dropping the "he would totally intervene if he saw someone kick the poo poo out of their wife but he would never report someone for dealing drugs." Because the former hurts someone and the latter does not. I asked him if he would narc on a car thief and he started in on the "at his job you get one chance to learn your lesson and THEN you're fired if you make the same mistake twice." So maybe he just admitted he's a car thief?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

It looks like an M4/16 (or knockoff style) with nothing on the front rails and the stock ironsight/suitcase handle combo, but with a double drum mag. They're generally a minimum of 100 rounds, and once you rip through the whole drum (or more likely, it develops and internal jam or outright breaks), good luck reloading because if you're the kind of person who owns something like this, in my experience you're not the kind of person who spends a couple hours a week doing reloading drills meaning that you're unlikely to be able to swap a standard mag in a reasonably short time much less manhandle one of these enormous heavy fuckers into your weapon. In the middle of the enormous shootout you and your post-apocalypse buddies are having with with Hordes Of Generic, Menacing Enemies no less!

Seriously, there's a reason they don't issue this garbage in the military and it isn't just the price tag; there's just not a real reason to have something like this because in theory one out of every four infantry soldiers is armed with a real light machine gun, which while notorious for being finicky as gently caress is nowhere near on the level of poo poo like this. If you're in a scenario where you need to have that kind of firepower, but you're not a member of some kind of combat group with at least a modicum of training, the last thing you want is to gently caress around with dick-waving drum mags. And, at least the M249 was designed to be frequently disassembled and reassembled for cleaning and maintenance. I guarantee you run a 50% chance of breaking these mags somehow every time you open them up.

Not to mention how heavy the damned thing would be with the mag in. A trained soldier would have trouble holding that thing in a stable firing position long enough to actually fire off those 100 rounds much less some limp armed moron whose main method of exercise is shoveling potato chips into his face in front of the TV.

That said the uselessly placed vertical and the gigantic magazine are surprisingly understated. I'd expect that sort of idiot to slap a holographic sight + magnifier combo, an infrared aiming laser (for night sniping you see), an expensive tactical flashlight to give it that real tacticool look. Sure it weighs as much as a proper machine gun and puts out way less firepower while breaking constantly but drat if it doesn't look badass.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

Arguing with someone about "narcs." As in, reporting anything short of rape and murder to anyone is you being a narc. And as a narc, as a snitch, you should be punished just the same as the person doing the crime because you are a snitch.

How the gently caress do people get to be legal adults and still whine that snitches get stitches? Being a narc only matters when you report something THEY do, not anyone else.

And of course he's dropping the "he would totally intervene if he saw someone kick the poo poo out of their wife but he would never report someone for dealing drugs." Because the former hurts someone and the latter does not. I asked him if he would narc on a car thief and he started in on the "at his job you get one chance to learn your lesson and THEN you're fired if you make the same mistake twice." So maybe he just admitted he's a car thief?
Well, the whole reason that the Stop Snitchin' thing became a thing was because of how prohibition, the War on Some Drugs, and the private prison system completely decimated black and poor communities, which directly led to not reporting anything but the most serious crime being the only way that some of those communities could survive.

Would you report an inner city school student for drug possession, knowing full well that they'd probably be put through the school to prison pipeline and treated in a completely different way to a wealthy private school student?

On an individual level you might look at it as a case of 'well they should just pull their pants up and get a job, if you can't do the time don't do the crime, etc. etc.' but there's wider systemic issues at play.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If schools did actually have a gun safety day where they taught kids firearm safety, they'd be whining about BIG GOVERNMENT TELLING MA KIDS WHAT TO DO.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

as a narc, as a snitch, you should be punished just the same as the person doing the crime because you are a snitch.

?
This is the crazy part.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

OldMemes posted:

If schools did actually have a gun safety day where they taught kids firearm safety, they'd be whining about BIG GOVERNMENT TELLING MA KIDS WHAT TO DO.

"I think it should be up to the parents to explain that to their children when they're ready for it"

*teen pregnant daughter accidentally shot by baby sister*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soviet Commubot posted:

Not to mention how heavy the damned thing would be with the mag in. A trained soldier would have trouble holding that thing in a stable firing position long enough to actually fire off those 100 rounds much less some limp armed moron whose main method of exercise is shoveling potato chips into his face in front of the TV.

That said the uselessly placed vertical and the gigantic magazine are surprisingly understated. I'd expect that sort of idiot to slap a holographic sight + magnifier combo, an infrared aiming laser (for night sniping you see), an expensive tactical flashlight to give it that real tacticool look. Sure it weighs as much as a proper machine gun and puts out way less firepower while breaking constantly but drat if it doesn't look badass.

I always have to roll my eyes at the people who buy that stuff. It's never for hunting, or that they like to shoot, it's always about "protecting me and mah family" from the cannibals when ISIS sneaks over an EMP and all the cars stop working*

*actual argument I've heard at work

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They should teach my hobby in schools to keep kids safe because I sure as hell ain't taking any personal responsibility for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why do they trust government instructors?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

By the time ISIS drops an EMP bomb or the government comes to take your guns, you're already hosed. Only good use for your gun at that point is to put a bullet in your own skull.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It makes sense for people to avoid a violent, white supremacist gang and to censure people who interact with them.

It isn't that hard to understand why snitches are bad.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I guess everyone who is paying into social security now should stop since we probably won't get it back later, yeah?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Faustian Bargain posted:

I guess everyone who is paying into social security now should stop since we probably won't get it back later, yeah?

This right here is why I get real pissed when shits like Rubio talk about "people like him" not having as good social security as current old people. I assume people that won't have as much will pay less in right? Oh the current young people are the ones funding people on social security right now with their taxes so we can't do that? gently caress off.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 29, 2016

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

It makes sense for people to avoid a violent, white supremacist gang and to censure people who interact with them.

It isn't that hard to understand why snitches are bad.

That's some seriously revisionist poo poo there.

"Snitches get stitches" and all that was originally talking about people who were also doing criminal poo poo and then snitched to reduce their own sentences. It was generally a prison thing and not really meant for the outside population, but then lot a lot of prison stuff it started finding its way into rap lyrics and got popularized outside of the original context.

It was never a "gently caress the police"/"fight the power" thing. It was just a weird thing that caught on among some kids who were trying to play hard. Hell, there was a whole Boondocks episode on what a loving ridiculous trend it was when it was at its height.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

e_angst posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > Crazy Forwarded Threads: some seriously revisionist poo poo

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

e_angst posted:

"Snitches get stitches" and all that was originally talking about people who were also doing criminal poo poo and then snitched to reduce their own sentences. It was generally a prison thing and not really meant for the outside population, but then lot a lot of prison stuff it started finding its way into rap lyrics and got popularized outside of the original context.

It was never a "gently caress the police"/"fight the power" thing. It was just a weird thing that caught on among some kids who were trying to play hard. Hell, there was a whole Boondocks episode on what a loving ridiculous trend it was when it was at its height.
It's possible for a group of people to react to a thing in a broader context even if none of those people have the intent to do so themselves, and are acting purely out of their own self interest.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Radish posted:

This right here is why I get real pissed when shits like Rubio talk about "people like him" not having as good social security as current old people. I assume people that won't have as much will pay less in right? Oh the current young people are the ones funding people on social security right now with their taxes so we can't do that? gently caress off.

what pisses me off is that the idea that social security will not be around for us has become an accepted idea. Just raise the social security taxes, the system will stay solvent long enough for the boomers to die off and the population to become a bit more normally distributed.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The only thing you probably shouldn't be snitching on is drug dealers, since the war on drugs is insanely harmful and ruins the lives of everyone involved way more than drugs ever have. But for actual violent crime, hell yeah get the cops involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

what pisses me off is that the idea that social security will not be around for us has become an accepted idea. Just raise the social security taxes, the system will stay solvent long enough for the boomers to die off and the population to become a bit more normally distributed.

I personally have enjoyed the gnashing of teeth when discussing eliminating the 250k cap on social security taxes.

The best of which being the same argument from the beginning of "But they won't see any benefit from it!"