Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's a good take. The most basic explanation for why the movie completely eliminates the droid slavery angle is that the stormtroopers are the droid slaves.

They're even "programmed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Meesh. I will reiterate that I really don't like the monochromatic grayness of the air battles in this film, which isn't helped by the fact that there's no real ebb or flow to those sequences. In that last gif it practically looks like the X-wings are firing at each other.

I agree but the ships themselves look really good

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TWIST FIST posted:

I agree but the ships themselves look really good

On the other hand, the camera moves so frantically you can barely see them. You don't get to look at the same two seconds over and over again via looping gif when you're watching the actual film.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Rey theme cue gets so villainous after she defeats Kylo holy cow.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Picard Day posted:

That whole sequence would have benefited so much from having an actual nemesis in the air battle. Not having a Darth Vader out there hunting them plays a huge role in making that part of the battle lacking in tension. I find it odd that they kept Poe in instead of killing him early on but didn't give him a villain to play off of for the final confrontation.

What would be the minimum screentime necessary for "ha, they'll never be able to stop our fancy new Death Star with fighter craft, we've got a (fancy new kind of TIE fighter/turret/evil version of the Millenium Falcon)" and the requisite scenes of whatever-this-thing blowing up 1 or 2 X-wings? It's even more of a New Hope callback if it isn't destroyed, and just gets knocked off into space like Vader during the first Death Star fight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh. I like how the camera work is just as unhinged and wonky as Kylo Ren is right now.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Roctavian posted:

What would be the minimum screentime necessary for "ha, they'll never be able to stop our fancy new Death Star with fighter craft, we've got a (fancy new kind of TIE fighter/turret/evil version of the Millenium Falcon)" and the requisite scenes of whatever-this-thing blowing up 1 or 2 X-wings? It's even more of a New Hope callback if it isn't destroyed, and just gets knocked off into space like Vader during the first Death Star fight.

It would have been a nice thing for Phasma to do, instead of getting chumped.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Filthy Casual posted:

It would have been a nice thing for Phasma to do, instead of getting chumped.

If you want to do "meta commentary" on Fandom and merchandising that's the exact moment you pull out Phasma in an upgraded Slave 1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BigglesSWE posted:

Them X-Wings are so goddamn sexy.

I can't wait till we see some footage from Rogue One. Shouldn't be too long now....right?

I expect a teaser attached to Civil War.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Picard Day posted:

If you want to do "meta commentary" on Fandom and merchandising that's the exact moment you pull out Phasma in an upgraded Slave 1

Dammit. Please write the next Star Wars.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Picard Day posted:

I would probably buy Slave II, if given the chance.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I can't believe the Senate scene isn't one of the deleted bits. The one huge gaping hole that would lend the essential context to starkiller firing and its not on there.

I'm getting the impression that all of the deleted scenes on the disc are the ones that just barely ended up on the cutting room floor, seeing as the ones that have leaked (like the Kylo Ren one) seem to have final effects and music on them, like the scenes that were included on the Episode I-III DVDs.

Expect the senate scene in the "Complete Saga" boxset we get in a few years; that's where all the pre-vis and dailies-quality deleted scenes from the Prequels ended up last time around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Casual posted:

I would probably buy Slave II, if given the chance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_II

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Of course.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phasma will fly Slaaave I.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I like that it shows how much he paid for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Name the next slave ship "Schmi".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Name the next slave ship "Schmi".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_III

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm dying over that picture of Jar Jar in the right column.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Affiliation: Boba Fett. And there's not even a picture!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DeimosRising posted:

Affiliation: Boba Fett. And there's not even a picture!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slave_IV

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm buying the Slave 1 Lego this weekend.

$229 CAD

E:

https://twitter.com/GeekandSundry/status/713786626409766913

owns

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 28, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Another ANH/TFA side-by-side comparison video:

https://vimeo.com/160263943

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Cnut the Great posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes. :smug:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ungulateman posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes. :smug:

Kind of like how the word "cat" rhymes with itself.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

What stood out to me was how many of the shots were needlessly dynamic, with the camera moving all over the place. In a lot of cases it's fine, as we pan to follow action or give a sweeping view. But a lot of the time it doesn't add anything except confusion, and in some cases deflates tension/gravitas. It's not a particularly energetic camera, as much as it's a restless one. I still liked the movie though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

2 good movies, thanks for reminding me :)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Really the only difference between the two is that in the earlier one Carrie could move her face.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Kind of like how the word "cat" rhymes with itself.

Well aren't you clever?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

It's weirding me out that every single A New Hope shot is better.

Like, I expected at least a bit of a mix.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's weirding me out that every single A New Hope shot is better.

Like, I expected at least a bit of a mix.

"Better" is completely subjective though...

From where I'm sitting, it is very much a mix.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That Kylo vs Vader entry scene is a pretty strong contrast. Vader kind of emerges from the mist like some golem, while Kylo just sort of struts down and then someone remembers to turn on the fog machine.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah but Kylo is a cheap loving knockoff and a crybaby bitch boy and the movie is totally aware of it.

I'm not at all surprised that loser couldn't get his entrance right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

"Better" is completely subjective though...

From where I'm sitting, it is very much a mix.

Post which, I guess.

computer parts posted:

That Kylo vs Vader entry scene is a pretty strong contrast. Vader kind of emerges from the mist like some golem, while Kylo just sort of struts down and then someone remembers to turn on the fog machine.

That one definitely stood out to me. Also Leia putting the macguffin in R2.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Probably before the Screenshot Wars commence in earnest, we can all agree that no matter what you think of GL, JJ pretty much pales in comparison. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Probably before the Screenshot Wars commence in earnest, we can all agree that no matter what you think of GL, JJ pretty much pales in comparison. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Eh, George Lucas does stellar establishing shots I guess

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It's like the Phony War, in 1940. A few screenshots posted, a video here, a tweet there. A few shots fired in anger, but nothing serious, and no one involved could possibly foresee the chaos and bloodletting that was to come.

Entire arguments, mindsets, and egos laid to waste. Once-friendly posters now eviscerating everyone in sight. Allies turned enemies turned back to allies, then traitors.

Vast abuse of image leeching, and outright piracy-copying of large portions of copywrited video. And above all, heretofore unseen forces and players that had bided their time, until this moment. The moment they would finally prove themselves correct, in analysis of author intent, cinematography, and painstaking dissection of millions of frames of film.

The resulting calamities would rip the thread asunder, and threaten to destroy the community/debate club/thread altogether.

There are heroes on both sides. Let us watch now, as detached observers while

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I enjoyed the new Star Wars movie it has its problems but thats ok.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Prolonged Priapism posted:

What stood out to me was how many of the shots were needlessly dynamic, with the camera moving all over the place. In a lot of cases it's fine, as we pan to follow action or give a sweeping view. But a lot of the time it doesn't add anything except confusion, and in some cases deflates tension/gravitas. It's not a particularly energetic camera, as much as it's a restless one. I still liked the movie though.

It this completely and the use of needless establishing or grandiose shots. Also, he likes overtly dramatic camera shots from the front and side, while Lucas seems to prefer a three quarter turn. Also, besides lens flare the only thing distinctive I can tell from Abrahams directing is his need to make the camera float, not as noticeable as a steadicam or shakicam, but rather wafting in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cnut the Great posted:

I must be bad at this, because I actually enjoy the shots from TFA more in this comparison, for the most part. And I'm not going to be able to point out why or explain myself all that well, so apologies ahead of time. But I love how much more the camera moves in The Force Awakens. There's such an energy to it, it engages me.

Granted, I fully acknowledge that part of this is likely because of how many times I've watched ANH, so TFA is like a fresh coat of paint. But that doesn't change how I keep finding my eyes drawn to the right side of the screen.

I'm probably going to regret this, but here's an example (not of the movement, but of a comparison I like better).

Again, I'm not nearly film literate enough to be able to explain this properly, but the shot on the right if so much more interesting to me. The color, the position of the figures, the costuming and props, etc. I love that shot on the right, so much so that it probably wasn't even the right shots for them to compare in the video. I want to frame the shot on the right and put it on a wall, while the shot on the left is like, "Yup, they sure are walking towards that hut."

I should note this isn't true for the whole video. The trench run from ANH is easily far more interesting and engaging than it's equivalent in TFA.

Meh, the heart wants what the heart wants.

• Locked thread