Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

The physician who practiced his autopsy stated that his body "did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water."

So Charles II was autopsied by a retard. Rather fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So Charles II was autopsied by a retard. Rather fitting.

They kept everything in the family. He was autopsied by his nephew/halfbrother/uncle.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Bringing concrete chat back for just a second... From Wikipedia:

"Similarly, the Romans knew that ... adding blood made it more frost-resistant."

That is loving metal. I want to know more about the practicalities of this process. Who's blood? How much?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

Bringing concrete chat back for just a second... From Wikipedia:

"Similarly, the Romans knew that ... adding blood made it more frost-resistant."

That is loving metal. I want to know more about the practicalities of this process. Who's blood? How much?

As badass as this sounds, it doesn't specify human blood and Rome probably had plenty of slaughterhouses.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The Spartans knew this, as evidenced in the documentary "300".

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Gabriel Pope posted:

As badass as this sounds, it doesn't specify human blood and Rome probably had plenty of slaughterhouses.

don't ruin this for me

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Unfortunately, the Romans were an ancient culture that abhored human sacrifice. While capital punishment was fine and dandy, so long as the crime was severe enough (and the accused was lowly enough) , human sacrifice was a definite no-no. While they did perform a few, the circumstances in which they were performed were hugely dire, eg, two Greeks and two Gauls were buried alive in the middle of Rome after the Battle of Cannahae, wherein 40,000 Romans had perished. Normally, the go to punishment for aristocrats who had committed a major crime was exile.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A White Guy posted:

Unfortunately, the Romans were an ancient culture that abhored human sacrifice. While capital punishment was fine and dandy, so long as the crime was severe enough (and the accused was lowly enough) , human sacrifice was a definite no-no. While they did perform a few, the circumstances in which they were performed were hugely dire, eg, two Greeks and two Gauls were buried alive in the middle of Rome after the Battle of Cannahae, wherein 40,000 Romans had perished. Normally, the go to punishment for aristocrats who had committed a major crime was exile.

I wish exile was still a thing. Commit a crime in Chicago and get exiled to Joliet....a dire fate.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Normally, the go to punishment for aristocrats who had committed a major crime was exile.

Unless you happened to live when people like Crassus and Tiberius ruled.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

...what?

Also, I've read that Tiberius's propensity for killing off senators of suspect loyalty through the use of treason trials was greatly exaggerated by authors like Tacitus, who was of the senatorial class himself, and therefore had good reason to view the monarchy with distrust and resentment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tiberius!?

Suetonius, a totally trustworthy historian posted:

On retiring to Capri he devised a pleasance for his secret orgies: teams of wantons of both sexes, selected as experts in deviant intercourse and dubbed analists, copulated before him in triple unions to excite his flagging passions.

It gets :nms: from here.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Mar 29, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Being exiled from the Roman Empire as an aristocrat doesn't sound much fun. Where do you go? Into the wilderness? Live with some barbarian tribe?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Being exiled from the Roman Empire as an aristocrat doesn't sound much fun. Where do you go? Into the wilderness? Live with some barbarian tribe?

It was exile from Rome, and usually from Italy. If you were lucky, you went to the provinces. If you were unlucky, you'd be confined to a small island.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Mar 29, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tiberius!?

Tell me more about these sexperts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tell me more about these sexperts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tiberius!?

My god. The Isosceles lock.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

that's not the joke from the show :confused:
e: i'm dumb, good job

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You leave Abba outta this.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ovid was exiled to what is today the Black Sea coast of Romania and loving hated it there, even though the city where he lived wasn't exactly small as Roman cities in this remote region went. Seneca was exiled to Elba (I think, I'm on mobile right now and can't look it up) on the other hand, which wasn't too far away from Rome. I think the worst part of the punishment was actually in being cut off from what was happening and not in a decrease in standard of life, as to a city Roman Rome was probably the only part of the empire that really mattered

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ancient historians loved casting aspersions on the sex life of their enemies and their enemies' families as it called into question their lineage and therefore their position in society while simultaneously being really embarrassing to even just publicly deny. It's basically "When did you stop beating your wife?" taken to the next level.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

System Metternich posted:

Ovid was exiled to what is today the Black Sea coast of Romania and loving hated it there, even though the city where he lived wasn't exactly small as Roman cities in this remote region went. Seneca was exiled to Elba (I think, I'm on mobile right now and can't look it up) on the other hand, which wasn't too far away from Rome. I think the worst part of the punishment was actually in being cut off from what was happening and not in a decrease in standard of life, as to a city Roman Rome was probably the only part of the empire that really mattered

Augustus banished his daughter Julia the Elder and her daughter Julia the Younger to tiny islands. Tiberius banished Julia's other daughter, Agrippina the Elder (mother of Caligula and Agrippina the Younger---Nero's mother), to a tiny island as well.

From Julia the Elder's Wiki Page:

quote:

Reluctant to execute her, Augustus decided on Julia's exile, in harsh conditions. She was confined on the island of Pandateria, with no men in sight, forbidden even to drink wine.[18] The island itself measures less than 1.75 square kilometres (0.68 sq mi). She was allowed no visitor unless her father had given permission and had been informed of the stature, complexion, and even of any marks or scars upon his body.[19] Scribonia, Julia's biological mother, accompanied her into exile.[20][21] It is said that Augustus would remark of them: "If only I had never married, or had died childless", slightly misquoting Hector, in the Iliad.[22] Julia's exile cast a long shadow over Augustus's remaining years.

Five years later, Julia was allowed to return to the mainland, though Augustus never forgave her and ordered her to remain in Rhegium. He explicitly gave instructions that she should not be buried in his Mausoleum of Augustus.

It provided some good scenes in the series I, Claudius though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ancient historians loved casting aspersions on the sex life of their enemies and their enemies' families as it called into question their lineage and therefore their position in society while simultaneously being really embarrassing to even just publicly deny. It's basically "When did you stop beating your wife?" taken to the next level.

A real common set of accusations I've found when 'civilized' people write about 'barbarian' peoples is that the barbarians will worship dark gods of war, drink out of their enemies' skulls, swim in fountains of blood, have unwholesome family structures and have the really weird, really bad kind of sex with each other. I've seen Scythians, Xiongnu, Vikings, Celtic peoples, Mongols, Mayans, etc, etc, etc get described as such from a variety of western and non-western sources. It's bizarrely common, like it''s humanity's default for describing spooky strangers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I meant Sulla.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Hey guys.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Alhazred posted:

I meant Sulla.

Yeah, it's not a catch-all. Sulla slaughtered the gently caress out of everyone. Arguably, he was kind of the progenitor of that tradition in Roman politics. Caesar was more apt to exile his enemies than kill them, but his propensity to do this decreased after defeating Cato (and slaughtering every captive he found after the battle of Thapsus). Augustus was straight up didn't give a poo poo and had his enemies killed/discredited left and right. Basically, the further away you get from the true Republic, the more common killing all your enemies gets. 2nd and 3rd century Roman politics is full of "and then he had (insert usurper here)'s entire family crucified/poisoned".

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A White Guy posted:

Caesar was more apt to exile his enemies than kill them, but his propensity to do this decreased after defeating Cato (and slaughtering every captive he found after the battle of Thapsus).

Some people have suggested that Caesar may have suffered an epileptic fit during Thapsus, which prevented him from checking his troops' desire to slaughter their defeated enemies. This is at least plausible, since Caesar would have probably preferred to pardon Scipio and Cato, and deliberately setting the troops loose would have put their lives in danger.

Caesar was certainly less forgiving in the second Spanish campaign, but the logic there at least is clear: he wasn't fighting against people who could plausibly claim to represent the Senate any longer, so they were rebels, and deserved what was coming to them. If Caesar was fully in control during Thapsus, it was a strange break from his previous mode of operation.

Tacky-Ass Rococco has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Mar 30, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Makes you wonder why Romans went into politics. So much plotting, intrigue and mass murder of entire families.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

nimby posted:

Makes you wonder why Romans went into politics. So much plotting, intrigue and mass murder of entire families.

I think you answered your own question.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Plus it was before DVR, so there was like nothing else to do.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

nimby posted:

Same reason dudes do drugs; sure bad things happen to people who do this stuff, but I'm special it won't happen to me.

Until suddenly those populist policies you keep advocating for cause the senate to go all barbarian on you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nimby posted:

Wealth and power, mostly. Which is, incidentally, also why so much murder tended to happen. Some dudes are threatening to take away your wealth and power? They can't do that if you exterminate their entire bloodline, now can they?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

umalt posted:

Same reason dudes do drugs; sure bad things happen to people who do this stuff, but I'm special it won't happen to me.

Until suddenly those populist policies you keep advocating for cause the senate to go all barbarian on you.

And do what, wear trousers?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Work gold a lot better than you do and have more female equality in the case of the Gauls.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Gauls actually sacked Rome in 390 BC. The Gauls made the Romans pay a ransom of a thousand pounds of gold. When they started weighing the gold the Romans started protesting which lead to the Gallic leader Brennus tossing a sword on the scale and saying "Woe the vanquished".

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Mar 31, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

The Gauls actually sacked Rome in 390 BC. The Gauls made the Rome pay a ransom of a thousand pounds of gold. When they started weighing the gold the Romans started protesting which lead to the Gallic leader Brennus tossing a sword on the scale and saying ""Woe the vanquished.

:iceburn:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

nimby posted:

Besides Roman politics being the most dangerous game, being involved in politics and furthering the public good (or at least pretend to do so) was one of the very few lines of work which were seen as befitting a Patrician besides possessing large tracts of land in the countryside for agriculture, which was still best left to your employees and slaves though. Other jobs were seen as crass(us hahaha :suicide:) and the line of public work was that established as the standard for young noblemen to first prove themselves and then advance through the hierarchy that it even had a name of its own (cursus honorum iirc)

This is a pattern found throughout history, btw. People were supposed to stay within their station, certain clothes, acts, jobs or even manners of speech were (and often still are) seen as proper to a certain group of people and improper to others.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Rome marriages were almost always for political reasons and nothing to do with romantic feelings. Pompey used to get teased for being a weirdo who actually loved his wife.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Marriage for love really didn't occur regularly until the late 1800s. Sure love existed, but marrying purely for love was seen as selfish in a lot of western cultures, it's why Romeo and Juliet ends with them dying.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Apr 1, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The play ends with them dying because their families hate each other, and they have to consummate their passions through suicide. This is pretty simple. Vendettas were common between Italian families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The play ends with them dying because they're dumbasses, imo.