Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think the fact that it's got a temporary tag and the pictures were taken at what appears to be a car lot is a strong indication that it's for sale by a dealer. Other than posting in the wrong section I don't see how that equals 'pure bullshit scam stuff'

For context this is a car that has been driven over 20,000 miles a year since new and is for sale on craigslist at about 12% its original MSRP. It was probably bought by the present seller at auction. I'm not sure what degree of integrity you are expecting here but if its in decent shape for $20K I don't really care if the person is a dealer or not. This isn't exactly a collector car

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dislike button posted:

I think the fact that it's got a temporary tag and the pictures were taken at what appears to be a car lot is a strong indication that it's for sale by a dealer. Other than posting in the wrong section I don't see how that equals 'pure bullshit scam stuff'

For context this is a car that has been driven over 20,000 miles a year since new and is for sale on craigslist at about 12% its original MSRP. It was probably bought by the present seller at auction. I'm not sure what degree of integrity you are expecting here but if its in decent shape for $20K I don't really care if the person is a dealer or not. This isn't exactly a collector car

First of all, not advertising as a dealer, yet obviously being one is shady. Next, take a look at the other cars he's selling... a 2011 Charger with a different colored driver's seat that he conveniently doesn't mention, a salvage Lexus SUV... both of those point to him buying from a second-rate crash-and-bang auction, not something like Manheim. Finally, you look at an 8 year old car being sold at 12% of its MSRP as a positive, I view it as a warning. Since it was bought at auction, you know that he's looking to make money on it, so he probably bought it for $15-16k (if it wasn't damaged). Pure red flag territory.

Either way, there are demonstrable bullshit scam indications -- selling crap cars, undisclosed dealer posting in "by Owner" section. I wouldn't touch it.

That said, obviously, buy it, Tai-Pan.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not to mention that the pictures are taken from different angles in each ad to make it less obvious that it's the same spot. Pretty much all dealers I seen use the exact same angles and setting for every car they sell.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's exactly the type of dealer I would expect to be selling a 170,000 mile S63.

The new E43 was unveiled and I really like it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/10/2017-mercedes-amg-e43-new-york/

I've seen a lot of comments crying about "watering down" the AMG brand but what has AMG meant for the past 15 years if not big, heavy, expensive and powerful? It's kind of cool to me they have a car that's fun to drive, still quite fast (0-60 in 4.5s) but not quite as overpowered or expensive as an E63. I bet it would make a good DD

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Dislike button posted:

That's exactly the type of dealer I would expect to be selling a 170,000 mile S63.

The new E43 was unveiled and I really like it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/10/2017-mercedes-amg-e43-new-york/

I've seen a lot of comments crying about "watering down" the AMG brand but what has AMG meant for the past 15 years if not big, heavy, expensive and powerful? It's kind of cool to me they have a car that's fun to drive, still quite fast (0-60 in 4.5s) but not quite as overpowered or expensive as an E63. I bet it would make a good DD

If anything AMG has been getting weirder in a good way over the past few years. The GLA AMG is so stupid that I love it. It's currently just out of the range of something I'd actually buy, but not by far and I feel it calling me like a siren.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
out of the ***45 AMGs, the GLA is definitely my favourite, just too bad Mercedes won't bring the A45 over here. Trouble is, it's like 50-60k for a hatchback when that same money could get me a nice C-class. Upside, it HAULS. They are everything the boy racer in me needs, it's like the Impreza Subaru couldn't build.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you shouldnt do stupid AMG things unless a V12 is involved

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

go3 posted:

you shouldnt do stupid AMG things unless a V12 is involved

Or 6 wheels are involved.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I checked out the s63.
It is owned by guy who runs a body shop. His "friend" sold it to him, no maintenance records, of course.
Car ran fine, no check engine lights. A/C doesn't work.
Most likely it came in with some form of damage but was repaired without making any claim.
Its a fantastic beast, but I decided it wasn't worth the headache. Getting an LS460 instead.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 22, 2016

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, run, don't walk away from that one.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up
Got the dreaded Brake service warning light on the E55 last weekend:

Could've been the brake light sensor, but turned out to be the SBC pump. Thankfully my car is a 06 model that's still covered by MB's 10 year extended warranty.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was there ever a CL convertible or just a CLK?

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up
I don't think so. All CLs were coupes. If you wanted a CL convertible, you'd be buying a SL.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I adore CL's; no b-pillar, big engine, comfy.

Sadly for me I can't afford a newish one and I sure as hell don't want to deal with the costs of fixing bits outside warranty. :smith:

My little brain is hoping Genesis makes something similar down the road.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

blk posted:

Was there ever a CL convertible or just a CLK?

The S-class cabriolet will be available shortly but there was never a CL vert.

I really like the CL cars as a GT but I'm torn between them due to the heinously stupid maintenance and parts costs ($2,000 door hinge? gently caress off) and complexity versus something like a 2013 ZL1 convertible. I realize I'm probably the only person to cross-shop a ZL1 and a CL63 but they are both big, heavy fast 2 doors and about the same price.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Does anyone own a C450, and anything you dislike? Looking to get a new sedan with 4wd for my parents. They drove the car the other week and really like it. We are also looking at comparable offerings from BMW and Audi, but so far MB's offerings are what they like the most.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

EL Bombastico posted:

I don't think so. All CLs were coupes. If you wanted a CL convertible, you'd be buying a SL.

CL has a back seat, SL doesn't

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Lt Moose posted:

Does anyone own a C450, and anything you dislike? Looking to get a new sedan with 4wd for my parents. They drove the car the other week and really like it. We are also looking at comparable offerings from BMW and Audi, but so far MB's offerings are what they like the most.

C450 is the sporty c-class for those who don't want a C63. If your parents just want to tootle around, get them a 400. If they like driving and want their car to make go-fast noises and revmatch on downshifts, get them the 450.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

Frank Dillinger posted:

C450 is the sporty c-class for those who don't want a C63. If your parents just want to tootle around, get them a 400. If they like driving and want their car to make go-fast noises and revmatch on downshifts, get them the 450.

The C43 AMG is coming soon too.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
I saw that, but from what searching I've done it looks like the C43 (at least initially) is basically the same as the C450, correct? You are spot on with your assessment - the C63 AMG is a bit too much sport for them (although that's what I'd personally chose), but they do like something a little sporty.

Thanks!

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009
There is a short to ground in the horn circuit on my 75 w114. I think it the column shifter bushings that are causing the issues. Any quick link to a walkthough, parts for this? My google-fu is coming up short for some dumb reason.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/

The EPC should give you some details on how it goes together and the parts needed.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So looking to buy something with some power in the 40Kish range (Canada).

Last couple cars I've owned have been a BMW 335i, a fairly heavily modified Legacy GT, and a 98 and 2005 Corvette.

Prior gen C63 AMG's have caught my eye, around the 2010-2011 year as they're within that price range, and from what I've read, seem to get good reviews and be decent reliability wise. Is there anything I should watch out for on these, weak points, or things that should be addressed? One of my biggest gripes with my one foray into German ownership was the 335i ended up having all sorts of injector and turbo problems. (2007, bad year for that).

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

TeamIce posted:

Last couple cars I've owned have been a BMW 335i, a fairly heavily modified Legacy GT, and a 98 and 2005 Corvette.

Prior gen C63 AMG's have caught my eye, around the 2010-2011 year as they're within that price range, and from what I've read, seem to get good reviews and be decent reliability wise. Is there anything I should watch out for on these, weak points, or things that should be addressed? One of my biggest gripes with my one foray into German ownership was the 335i ended up having all sorts of injector and turbo problems. (2007, bad year for that).

Can't comment on the reliability of them but they are hilariously fast. The engine in them was used in much more expensive cars so they detuned it for the C class. With a flash they make 70whp more.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

TeamIce posted:

The head bolts stretching on the M156 engines seem to be a common issue. MB did revise the head bolts in MY2011 cars I believe.

EL Bombastico fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 25, 2016

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I am considering a 90's era G300TD. The primary purpose will be heavy home-depot duty and light ranch work while still being able to haul around my kids. While being completely annoying and iconoclastic.
Has anyone driven one of these at highway speeds for any period of time? How bad is the droning? I will need to get out to the ranch, but I don't want it to be pure hell.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Tai-Pan posted:

I am considering a 90's era G300TD. The primary purpose will be heavy home-depot duty and light ranch work while still being able to haul around my kids. While being completely annoying and iconoclastic.
Has anyone driven one of these at highway speeds for any period of time? How bad is the droning? I will need to get out to the ranch, but I don't want it to be pure hell.

Like driving a Jeep Wrangler, but much worse, depending on suspension wear. I've mostly driven newer ones, and even those aren't great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd be worried about the power--can those things even cruise at highway speeds? There's a lot of weight for those somewhat small diesels to push around. My friend has a 2000 G500 gray market import and it's an awesome car with just the right amount of power for its size. We've driven it hundreds of miles on the highway without problems. I don't think I'd go for a smaller engine in one though.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I'd be worried about the power--can those things even cruise at highway speeds? There's a lot of weight for those somewhat small diesels to push around. My friend has a 2000 G500 gray market import and it's an awesome car with just the right amount of power for its size. We've driven it hundreds of miles on the highway without problems. I don't think I'd go for a smaller engine in one though.

Eh, its diesel or nothing for me. I've been told they can cruise okay at 60mph and they can win most drag races against dump trucks.

And I would never touch a G500. Those are douche-wagons.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A SUV for Home Depot duty is significantly less useful than a truck unless you have a trailer, but I'm guessing you're not in the US. Beyond utility and lack of acceleration, I personally wouldn't choose to haul kids around in something that unsafe by modern standards.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm looking for a SLK 250, 2013-14, in the $30k range. I'm turning 40 and it's my mid-life crisis car. Anything crucial to know before I start shopping? Anything to watch out for?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Just expect it to cost like a $60-80k car to maintain, not a $30k car. For a midlife crisis you might want something more powerful though. Why not older SL55? :)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

mod sassinator posted:

Just expect it to cost like a $60-80k car to maintain, not a $30k car. For a midlife crisis you might want something more powerful though. Why not older SL55? :)

He's probably a Eurogoon, which means big engines=big taxes and huge fuel bills.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
CaliGoon.

To me, the sweet spot of the car is between 3-4 years old and 8 years old. To buy a new car, you're paying a huge amount to drive it off the lot. Once you buy a car that is 8 years old, you are driving it into the ground, with all the fun maintenance that entails. To buy one that's 3-4 years old, drive it for 3-4 years, and sell it while it still has some value (and isn't a complete pain in the rear end), that's where it's at.

So, that's why SLK 250 and not SL55.

mod sassinator posted:

Howso, and why?

photomikey fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 31, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Take the original retail price and expect about 5% of that cost in annual maintenance. Sure it's only 3-4 years old but there's still little stuff that can go wrong and parts/labor/etc. aren't cheap. I have a friend really into old Bentleys and even if they're 20 years old he's still dumping $10k+ maintenance into them somewhat regularly because they're $200k+ cars. I didn't realize though the SLK250 actually wasn't that expensive (only like $40k or so new?) so maybe it's not too bad.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
$50k new. And 5% isn't bad. If I buy a 2014 it should be under warranty for another year or two.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I think we're failing to address that there isn't a qualified opinion on the planet that thinks the SLK 250 is a great car.

Seriously, $30k gets you some amazing cars, and a SLK 250 is a highly mediocre way to spend that money.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I posted here looking for suggestions. Did you want to suggest something, or just insult the car I came in asking about and move on?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

You sound more insulted than the car, but with that said happy to suggest other options. What's your max budget, and is a roadster or convertible a must?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm in the $30k range, $25k would be nicer, $35k or more is certainly possible. I would say I'm leaning convertible and roadster right now. I had a whole discussion in the A/T "what car should I buy" thread. I am open to almost anything that is cool and head-turning and fun. This is a daily driver and I am not a racer. I mean, I like fast, but the fact that I'm 0.3 seconds slower than something else does not matter even a little to me.