Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
We're going to get Justice League 1 before these guys' solo movies right? I'd love for like 5 minute segments of like Batman and Wonder Woman trying to corner a skittish Flash to try to deliver an invitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

We're going to get Justice League 1 before these guys' solo movies right? I'd love for like 5 minute segments of like Batman and Wonder Woman trying to corner a skittish Flash to try to deliver an invitation.

Wonder Woman > Justice League > Flash > Aquaman > Shazaam > Justice League > Cyborg > Green Lantern

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Oh drat, was looking forward to Batman scaring heroes into joining him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm hoping the Nick Fury after-credits recruitment scenes are just Batman in full costume asking heroes to join his club.

They should be shot for shot remakes of all of the Marvel post-credits scenes, except with a fully costumed Batman in place of Nick Fury or whoever. Batman driving to the desert in the batmobile and finding Aquaman's trident instead of Thor's hammer, Batman napping while the Flash talks to him like a therapist, etc.

This scene would be especially great, Batman walking into a bar in broad daylight (they can even keep the "You always wear such nice suits" joke word for word):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQF6LcgH_I

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean, we might still get that in Justice League.
At least there's always this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4knWZ6yVs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I mean, i think the Wolverine is a pretty good flick so my opinion is worth fuckall so keep that in mind.

I'll say this for The Wolverine: It's the first X-Men movie since the original to have a score that doesn't suck out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7SOyFGCaE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like the X2 score, I was glad when they brought its motif back for Days of Future Past

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Ottman's music puts me to sleep. I think he's a generally pretty good editor but gently caress his scores are bland. (And his X2 motif is just Kamen's theme at 2x speed.)

Edit: OK, now that I think about it, John Powell's work on The Last Stand was probably the only good thing about that movie.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 29, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

That's what I'm getting at.

For example:

wyoming posted:

I mean, we might still get that in Justice League.
At least there's always this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4knWZ6yVs

Yes please.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

That's what I'm getting at.

I guess I'm just assuming in JL it'd be more brief and probably rounding up several of them at once to pitch the idea of Super Friends. Then again it's JL part 1, so the first hour could be just recruitment scenes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MacheteZombie posted:

I guess I'm just assuming in JL it'd be more brief and probably rounding up several of them at once to pitch the idea of Super Friends. Then again it's JL part 1, so the first hour could be just recruitment scenes.

Assuming it's Darkseid (which it is, we basically know that), The first part is probably his minions doing stuff on Earth. This requires the normally separate superheroes to team up, culminating with (big BvS spoiler) Superman coming back from the dead and then Part 2 is the assembled Justice League fighting him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

To be fair, post-credits stingers like the Marvel Method are even briefer than that. What I'm saying is I'm more expecting a good chunk of JL1 to consist of the kind stuff that people complained about with Iron Man II, but integrated into Avengers 1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We might get a swerve and have the first villain for Justice League 1 be Brainiac, coming after the Kryptonian ship and all of its information.

Could even lead to a scene where he reacts poorly to Cyborg, realizing what he's made of, and leaves.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

Wonder Woman > Justice League > Flash > Aquaman > Shazaam > Justice League > Cyborg > Green Lantern

GL being kind of an afterthought is the only thing I don't like of the way WB is handling DC's Cinematic Universe

I like GL :smith:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

GL being kind of an afterthought is the only thing I don't like of the way WB is handling DC's Cinematic Universe

I like GL :smith:

The only thing? They're doing the teamup movie before introducing the team.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I'll say this for The Wolverine: It's the first X-Men movie since the original to have a score that doesn't suck out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t7SOyFGCaE

I loved the First Class soundtrack. I was sad that its Magneto theme didn't get reused in Days of Future Past.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

What if the team-up movie... is the introduction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

The foundation of Justice League is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. They've introduced at least two of those already, and Wonder Woman's getting her own film before the actual teamup film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Assuming it's Darkseid (which it is, we basically know that), The first part is probably his minions doing stuff on Earth. This requires the normally separate superheroes to team up, culminating with (big BvS spoiler) Superman coming back from the dead and then Part 2 is the assembled Justice League fighting him.

Based on the Flash cameo in BvS, with him saying "you're right about him!" and this likely being a red herring to make you think it is Superman I pictured a Glorious Godfrey type situation where he arrives and tries to weaken the heroes by attacking the public's faith in them.

Steve2911 posted:

They're doing a super hero team movie just like X-Men, The Incredibles, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm hoping the Nick Fury after-credits recruitment scenes are just Batman in full costume asking heroes to join his club.

It's actually going to be WW forwarding the e-mail she got from Batman to Aquaman who forwards it to GL who forwards it to Flash and the whole things gets intercepted by Cyborg who adds a couple of emojis.

The "Justice League" is just the title of the Facebook group the form to talk and chat about what a dick Superman is.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Timby posted:

John Ottman's music puts me to sleep. I think he's a generally pretty good editor but gently caress his scores are bland. (And his X2 motif is just Kamen's theme at 2x speed.)

Edit: OK, now that I think about it, John Powell's work on The Last Stand was probably the only good thing about that movie.

His motif for the Dark Phoenix is absolutely amazing and sold that scene in Jean Grey's old home. I wish Powell scored more action/sci-fi stuff, it seems he just gets hired for animated movies these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP-oD-63dtE

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last Stand is one of the best superhero scores, period, and First Class's, while repetitive, works wonders in the movie. Saying the Wolverine is the only good one is weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

computer parts posted:

The foundation of Justice League is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. They've introduced at least two of those already, and Wonder Woman's getting her own film before the actual teamup film.

The foundation of the Justice League is actually the green space man they're ignoring, but then, DC has been doing that for nigh on a decade now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

The foundation of the Justice League is actually the green space man they're ignoring, but then, DC has been doing that for nigh on a decade now.

Yes he's totally the foundation except for when he isn't. Which is a lot.

Seriously, you realize movies can do their own thing and aren't beholden to the comics right?

Martian Manhunter is one of the harder heroes to work with because he is just as powerful as Superman, AND he has a ton of other even more stupid powers. I say this as a fan of the character and what can be done with him- dude's an obstacle more than he is a help for stories. He also has some inherent baggage in the White Martians if they want to adapt that aspect of his character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What do you mean baggage? Like some sort of legal trouble? I don't follow you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Actually the silliest thing about this version of The Justice League is that it's being run by someone as dangerously incompetent and impulsive as Affleck's Batman.

That dude ain't no hero and other heroes sure as hell shouldn't rally around him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TFRazorsaw posted:

The white aliens genocide all the colored aliens, it is an allegory for all white people in all of history.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Burkion posted:

So what did you think of the movie? Like you've seen the movie now right?

That's part of why you were probated

I had a very fun time watching it. I enjoyed all the action except for the fight scene in the desert where all the choreography is wonky.
Main cast was good, especially Lawrence Fishburne, but I didn't care much for Lex, and I didn't really see what the hell was at stake for anything in the movie with the one exception of Ma Kent will die unless Supes plays ball? Or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Narrative Baggage.

The modern take on Martian Manhunter has him the last of his race, but unlike with Superman where it's because his people were morons, MM's group were wiped out by the White Martians who are after him still.

This necessitates having to deal with that problem when he shows up, or at the very least address it. However that's clearly not the direction they want to go with in this first movie, and the White Martians are a notably weak threat to have as their first big challenge with no good central figure to draw on for them.

Basically there is no good time to explore what he brings to the table by his very nature. Now they COULD change it to being Darkseid related or what have you, but then they run the risk of backlash from fans, of which they already get backlash on every drat thing they do.

Couple all of that with the fact that MM, more than ANY other hero, makes most plots utterly invalid and silly to be a problem, and you have a good reason to steer clear from him for the moment.

The fact that he's just as powerful as Superman, can perfectly shape shift into ANYTHING, turn invisible and intangible, AND is a master telepath, makes him officially a one man team. It's the only reason why he has as ridiculous a weakness as he does.

He's a nightmare to work into a team unless you either tone down his powers or make him utterly incompetent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Multiple series have managed to do it well enough. I don't see how the baggage is too much to deal with at all.

I mean, you might as well say they shouldn't do Wonder Woman because her origins involve the Greek gods when they're doing the New Gods too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Multiple series have managed to do it well enough. I don't see how the baggage is too much to deal with at all.

I mean, you might as well say they shouldn't do Wonder Woman because her origins involve the Greek gods when they're doing the New Gods too.

How did it handle it in Young Justice?

His niece is a white Martian there, isn't she?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That

That isn't even remotely comparable to anything I just said.

Also, yes, multiple series have done it well. Let's take a look at Justice League for instance

Where in the White Martian threat was...the very first thing that drew them all together. Which they can't very well do here for obvious reasons.

Other times he's shown up, they either ignore or play down the White Martian angle, but generally those are not out and out Justice League series and are set some time after he's actually shown up.

Even Supergirl the TV series has had to deal with White Martian problems, which the movies have no time to do.

Seriously you're not even trying here. Two sets of Gods are not incompatible with one another, especially when one set are explicitly alien Gods that came after the Old Gods.

I'm sorry Green Jeans isn't included, but it makes sense why he isn't. He could easily be brought in to future movies, but it's better than him being wasted now because they tried to shove him in.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

How did it handle it in Young Justice?

His niece is a white Martian there, isn't she?

Yes.

Weisman specifically said that "J'onn wasn't originally the last of his kind, that was a retcon", and went with the original take instead.

But then again CBS's Supergirl went and used J'onn in a show literally starring one of the few survivors of an all-but-extinct race and they're not competing despite that aspect of their stories overlapping so.

I'm pretty sure J'onn is usable with a funny thing called "effort".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

He's a nightmare to work into a team unless you either tone down his powers or make him utterly incompetent.

You can say the same thing about Superman or Flash. Either of them should be able to solve any issue without any problem.

I mean, apparently a TV show is having no problem incorporating the Martian Manhunter into it and doing well by him. But a multi-million dollar blockbuster with bigger villains and higher stakes can't solve that problem?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
J'onn would make an incredible villain, actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

You can say the same thing about Superman or Flash. Either of them should be able to solve any issue without any problem.

I mean, apparently a TV show is having no problem incorporating the Martian Manhunter into it and doing well by him. But a multi-million dollar blockbuster with bigger villains and higher stakes can't solve that problem?

All the money in the world can't buy you more than 2 hours run-time

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

There's actually a lot of melodrama surrounding MM on Supergirl and he purposely refuses to reveal himself as MM for a majority of the show so far. After he publicly reveals himself, he's arrested for being an alien, and was MIA from this week's episode chasing down his subplot offscreen. This week was a crossover with Flash so running time was limited.

TheKingofSprings posted:

J'onn would make an incredible villain, actually.
Superman vs J'onn like Goku vs Piccolo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People won't buy more than 3 hours of running time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The TV show also has more room to breathe than a movie. Shoving MM into Justice League just to have him in it is a terrible idea if he doesn't naturally fit- and he doesn't.

Flash at least only has speed powers to work with, and Superman, especially this one, isn't shown to have the same kind of speed on foot. And neither of them ALSO have the rest of MM's insane power set, including the bigger game breaker, telepathy.

If they had time to dedicate to him, like the TV series could do, then yes he'd work great. But the movies are full enough as it is- throwing more characters into the mix isn't going to help with that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I also don't understand the criticism that "they have to deal with his origin".

Do you think that they're gonna spend a lot of time dwelling on Flash and Aquaman's? I'm pretty sure those are gonna be primarily dealt with in their movies. Just have J'onn show up and allude to his origin while focusing on the primary storyline.

• Locked thread