Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I don't understand why they continue to make that beer. I don't know anyone who thinks it's drinkable. The first and only time I had it I thought it was an onion flavored mess. So yeah, that's how it's supposed to taste. For some reason.

I've had it when it's good, but it';s a loving rarity. Why the gently caress they single-hop their 'main' IPA with Columbus is beyond me. I love the Public, though, and it's more like an IPA than a pale, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

I've had it when it's good, but it';s a loving rarity. Why the gently caress they single-hop their 'main' IPA with Columbus is beyond me. I love the Public, though, and it's more like an IPA than a pale, so whatever.

Looking back at your recommendations I'm disappointed I didn't get a chance to hit more, or any really. My friend that was hosting me and her friends/room mates aren't really into beer and she had everything so pre-planned, and even the after dinner drink spots were all loud music and PBR can places.

Everything we ate was great though.

Dangerous Pies (I think it was called?), dinner at Le Diplomate, one of the best bread programs period, geeked out about bread to our waiter and he sent us home with a couple loaves. Pretty good fairly priced wine list but champagne was ridic overpriced as usual which was disappointing because I was really in the mood for it.

Brunch at Founding Farmers, excellent. Dinner at Thep Khao, decent but spoiled by wife's family's cooking. Brunch at Medium Rare the next day was pretty awful but other than that killer.

Next time I go I'm demanding more beer though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I was refused service here in MD a few weeks ago because of a vertical ID, but the beer I was going to order was Corruption so I'm considering that a blessing in disguise.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

mmartinx posted:

Dangerous Pies (I think it was called?)

Dangerously Delicious. They also have one in Baltimore (which is the only one I've been to). I love that place.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

everythingWasBees posted:

I was refused service here in MD a few weeks ago because of a vertical ID, but the beer I was going to order was Corruption so I'm considering that a blessing in disguise.

drink Brau Pils, instead

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Corruption is loving nasty.

Thanks goons for the advice on Citrunensis and Cafe Racer 15, both were just kinda whatever.

My buddy opened a bourbon barrel 4 calling birds and pleasantly surprised to find that was not a total cloying boozy hot mess. Most of the alcohol is on the nose and the molasses, brown sugar, and gingerbread spice flavors were easy to pick out. Still over the loving top just like anything else Bruery, of course.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I refuse to buy or drink IPAs anymore

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I found out that portland is now making india pale lagers, and hell, im pissed about it

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

I found out that portland is now making india pale lagers, and hell, im pissed about it

Me too!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Control Volume posted:

why?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I personally haven't had an IPL I particularly like yet

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Hoponius Union is my gold standard for IPLs. Really nobody does them better than Jack's Abby.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/PenroseBrewing/status/714582503462453248

YESSSSSS.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hell is a beer cooler full of nothing but ballast point sculpin variants

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Control Volume posted:

I refuse to buy or drink IPAs anymore

I liked you better when you were butt chugging beer for our amusement.

On a related note, recent cans of Block 15 Sticky Hands have been really garlicky/oniony. :smith:

Edit: the best beer I had on my trip to New Zealand was a hoppy lager. :colbert:

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 29, 2016

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Always stealing my thunder, dude! I got to see some of their other cans. Cannot wait. Although they still had a few four packs of P2 in bottles tucked in a fridge behind the bar. I didn't ask, I didn't want to know.

That session sour is phenomenal, guess I'm stopping by penrose tomorrow.

Danbanana how local to penrose are you?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

My wife and I just cracked open one of the beers we brought back from the Rare Barrel, No Salt a golden ale aged in tequilla barrels with a "hint of lime".

This stuff is seriously good, I mean all of their beers are usually pretty drat good, but I am really digging this one. I was afraid that the tequilla flavor might have been overwhelming, but it wasn't at all.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

My wife and I just cracked open one of the beers we brought back from the Rare Barrel, No Salt a golden ale aged in tequilla barrels with a "hint of lime".

This stuff is seriously good, I mean all of their beers are usually pretty drat good, but I am really digging this one. I was afraid that the tequilla flavor might have been overwhelming, but it wasn't at all.

I have a buddy who had this. Said he liked it a lot. He'd wish there was more barrel flavor on it. He was also worried about the lime being overpowering but said it was pretty drat good. He's tequila fan so probably why he wanted the flavors more pronounced.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

sterster posted:

I have a buddy who had this. Said he liked it a lot. He'd wish there was more barrel flavor on it. He was also worried about the lime being overpowering but said it was pretty drat good. He's tequila fan so probably why he wanted the flavors more pronounced.

I can see that if you are a big tequila fan, but I personally am not the biggest tequila fan in the world, so I am glad it just adds a hint of that kind of flavor. The lime flavor is definitely more pronounced, but it works real well with the base beer. Its so drat good, I have been nursing my glass for a lot longer than I normally would.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

trauma llama posted:

Always stealing my thunder, dude! I got to see some of their other cans. Cannot wait. Although they still had a few four packs of P2 in bottles tucked in a fridge behind the bar. I didn't ask, I didn't want to know.

That session sour is phenomenal, guess I'm stopping by penrose tomorrow.

I've loved their session sours on draft, can't wait for these cans. These better hit distro in the northern suburbs as well because I want them as a perfect spring/summer beer but definitely don't want to drive an hour+ just to pick them up.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I've loved their session sours on draft, can't wait for these cans. These better hit distro in the northern suburbs as well because I want them as a perfect spring/summer beer but definitely don't want to drive an hour+ just to pick them up.

Luckily my inlaws live down the street.

Their session Sours have always been great. I really do wish they'd can their taproom IPA though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

trauma llama posted:

Not very right now; I work in Addison and live in Oak Park. But by the end of the year my company will be moving out to West Chicago, only about 5 minutes south of downtown Geneva. So stopping by on my way home should be a thing I do on the regular.

trauma llama posted:

Their session Sours have always been great. I really do wish they'd can their taproom IPA though.

There was a photo floating around showing a Taproom IPA can, so I'm betting it's in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't pull a Tired Hands, where their stuff is just brewery-only. Which should be fine by me by October or so...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zam sent me a Highland Park Lazy Susan and oh my god.

I praised HPB when I was there on my CA trip, and I continue to be shocked by the lack of hype for them, when they're honestly putting out beer in the same league as HF, SARA, etc etc.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Geneva is one of the most upper middle class cities I've ever visited. Penrose is tasty, though.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

On a recent forum thread about infections in some of Goose Island’s 2015 Bourbon County Brand Stout variations, a Savant user (which designates a person who has accrued a lot of experience on BeerAdvocate) posts: “If this is how Goose Island repays their veterans and hardcore supporters of what USED to be one of the GREATEST products on the market than the Geese need to be SHOT DOWN AND BUTCHERED.” To which another savant user responded: “I do love to see the calm, measured responses, made when all evidence is in, that we have grown used to seeing here on B.A.”

Shout out to Sirotan for this, I thought she was just being clever about the word "savant" when that just goes to show how long I haven't looked at BA. It really is a posting class there :laffo:

http://draftmag.com/beer-outrage-internet

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Shout out to Sirotan for this, I thought she was just being clever about the word "savant" when that just goes to show how long I haven't looked at BA. It really is a posting class there :laffo:

http://draftmag.com/beer-outrage-internet

:dogbutton:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

a worthy uhh posted:

Zam sent me a Highland Park Lazy Susan and oh my god.

I praised HPB when I was there on my CA trip, and I continue to be shocked by the lack of hype for them, when they're honestly putting out beer in the same league as HF, SARA, etc etc.

I guess the word hasn't spread but the hype train has arrived at HPB locally. The online sales are sold out super fast and bottle release days at the bar have become beer nerd central. I was with a friend and he was surprised that everyone at the bar was on untappd. He isnt a beer nerd so the brewery swag was invisible to him. HPB had a consistent line at the Modern Times Festival of Funk too.

I love the place and have been driving from San Diego once a month for bottles and a growler. Lots of nice places around the brewery too. It's silly how happy I feel there.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm visiting San Diego this weekend. Last time I was there I visited Acoustic, Belching Beaver, Hess, Societe, Council, Helm's, Quantum, Ballast Point, Intergalactic, 2kids, Ritual, Double Mountain, Stone, and Modern Times. Tentatively have AleSmith, South Park, Fall, Half Door, and Toolbox on the list. Are any of those bad and am I missing any good ones I haven't visited yet?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/first-vaginal-beer-bottled-instinct#/story

Someone created an indiegogo to brew a beer with vaginal lactobacillus.....:stare:

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Eejit posted:

I'm visiting San Diego this weekend. Last time I was there I visited Acoustic, Belching Beaver, Hess, Societe, Council, Helm's, Quantum, Ballast Point, Intergalactic, 2kids, Ritual, Double Mountain, Stone, and Modern Times. Tentatively have AleSmith, South Park, Fall, Half Door, and Toolbox on the list. Are any of those bad and am I missing any good ones I haven't visited yet?

only one I can think of is Rip Current

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

dominator posted:

Someone created an indiegogo to brew a beer with vaginal lactobacillus.....:stare:

The 10,000 euro tier...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What
The
gently caress

air-
Sep 24, 2007

:yikes:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

dominator posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh my god this is some next level hosed up poo poo. I can't stop laughing dear god. I would have loved to hear the sales pitch to that model.

These guys should team up with this company for a variant (NSFW): http://www.gspirits.com

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 29, 2016

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

dominator posted:

People have brewed with vaginal lacto before, and the reports were that it is not good. Brewing may have come a ways since, though, now that we live in a Beard Beer world.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

These guys should team up with this company for a variant (NSFW): http://www.gspirits.com

WUT.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

Our next beers, with a different model’s yoni each, include:

1) BDSM ale – sour ale made with smoked plums and vaginal lactic acid bacteria of red-head or brunette model,

2) Blond ale made with wheat malt, saffron and edible gold, with vaginal lactic acid bacteria of a blond-haired model or celebrity,

3) Aphrodisia / Dionysia – wheat ale made with ancient strains of wheat, grape juice,

4) Mona Lisa – brown sour ale with wooden chips, the tribute to the famous piece of art,

5) Isis – Sour ancient wheat ale with roses,

6) Cleopatra – Milk stout regarding to Cleopatra’s milk baths,

7) Lady Godiva – sour ale with English hops.

And many, many of other great beers, based on Anime, history, modern culture, etc., with other beautiful models

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
drat, "yoni" is the creepiest sounding word they possibly could have come up with to describe this. Perfect. Never heard or read it before, but "model's yoni" makes me involuntarily curl my lips in disgust.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

air- posted:

based on Anime...

Hahahaha this gets better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Retemnav posted:

drat, "yoni" is the creepiest sounding word they possibly could have come up with to describe this. Perfect. Never heard or read it before, but "model's yoni" makes me involuntarily curl my lips in disgust.

It's really cringey/creepy and just keeps getting worse as you read more