Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

ha, thought it was a move swap at 1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Wait, what is happening here? Does he really have a parry?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What's up with the vtrigger gauge though

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Taiso posted:

ha, thought it was a move swap at 1st

Same here. The animation even looks the same as Ryu's. But then he does a clothesline, flash chop and super.

Agoat posted:

Wait, what is happening here? Does he really have a parry?

I dunno. In SF4, when they did move swaps, they had to swap entire movelists. Maybe they figured out how to swap individual moves in SF5.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'd guess it's set to infinite so it wouldn't be possible in an actual match

e: Well, it does actually begin to drain later, though... Jesus Christ, imagine if doing a parry actually refills your V-meter...

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 29, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's the start up of his clothesline move I think.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Parry only happens during v-trigger and it's an aesthetic, that's actually armor during his clothesline startup

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I see. Still really cool, though. Despite his appearance I'm very excited to play him.

Edit: There's a mod on Reddit to play Alex early. Is Capcom banning people for doing this? Is there a way to just stay offline?

Agoat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 29, 2016

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mega Comrade posted:

Did you get beaten up in school by football game loving kids or something?

I recognize this much vitriol comes across as anger, but it's not at the people themselves even though it does sound like it. I love the football game loving kids. They're my best friends, who I would take a bullet for. It's just that 'no one actually really bothers with things they're into' here is a kind of persistent elephant in the corner that's sometimes a major bummer.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

!Klams posted:

I recognize this much vitriol comes across as anger, but it's not at the people themselves even though it does sound like it. I love the football game loving kids. They're my best friends, who I would take a bullet for. It's just that 'no one actually really bothers with things they're into' here is a kind of persistent elephant in the corner that's sometimes a major bummer.

I figure we all get it at some point. I live in the US and I've had so many conversations where somebody goes "Oh yeah I used to be really good at the old Mortal Kombat!". I usually just shrug it off and change subjects. It's not a fun conversation to have.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Normies think I'm some kind of fighting game superman because I can do finger puzzles when in reality I really suck rear end

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Normies think I'm some kind of fighting game superman because I can do finger puzzles when in reality I really suck rear end

I played some random in Marvel a few years ago and they lost their mind.

I'm rear end at Marvel.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Agoat posted:

Edit: There's a mod on Reddit to play Alex early. Is Capcom banning people for doing this? Is there a way to just stay offline?

These work by replacing another character (I think FANG because lolFANG) with Alex so definitely don't take it online.

Either pull out your ethernet cable or block the game in your firewall.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm bad, what are tips to connect crouching jab jab into shoryuken for Ryu?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Agoat posted:

I'm rear end at Marvel.

I once played Marvel with a few randoms at a geek night in London. I ran a team of Hulk/Morrigan/Phoenix and expected to get blown up. I held back and kept summoning my Morrigan assist to build meter. My opponents couldn't break me and kept losing to Dark Phoenix bullshit over and over. They goddamn lost their minds over the concept that I was using an assist as part of my actual strategy.

!Klams posted:

Yeah this sucks. I feel like I'm the only person that actually likes to compete among any of my friends.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

He gains back vtrigger meter with each parry. Puts him in SF3 mode from the looks of it. Probably press forward to parry just like in SF3 also.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is not press forward it is the V-Trigger command

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tae posted:

I'm bad, what are tips to connect crouching jab jab into shoryuken for Ryu?

I'm pretty sure you can get out a DP with 323 instead of the usual 623; try holding down-towards for the jabs and cancel the second one with a quick wiggle down back to down-towards.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Agoat posted:

I'm rear end at Marvel.

I can bet I'm worse at Marvel than you are and I can still do Marvel 3 Wolverine's BnB in my sleep.

I think about 90% of my friends who I see on a weekly basis I know from playing fighting games though and I don't see people from college that much anymore now that most people have moved away. It's probably bad that my social life is centered around video games, isn't it?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Well if you think so then certainly it is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Baal posted:

Parry only happens during v-trigger and it's an aesthetic, that's actually armor during his clothesline startup

From the Capcom sneak peek description it says he only has one hit of armor. So he's basically canceling the startup of his VT move into another VT move on successful parry?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I tried setting my connection restriction to 5 and just got two seemingly-lag-free matches. Got bodied by a Mika and then bodied a Ryu. This game can be fun.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can bet I'm worse at Marvel than you are and I can still do Marvel 3 Wolverine's BnB in my sleep.

I think about 90% of my friends who I see on a weekly basis I know from playing fighting games though and I don't see people from college that much anymore now that most people have moved away. It's probably bad that my social life is centered around video games, isn't it?

My social life is centered about my friend's gamer bar, it's not that bad. The drinking is, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnonSpore posted:

From the Capcom sneak peek description it says he only has one hit of armor. So he's basically canceling the startup of his VT move into another VT move on successful parry?

Yeah, that's p much it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Does buying the season pass unlock all the colors for the characters as well?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
If you told me in all seriousness that a game called Lego Budget oval office Omnibus was celebrating its 100th week at the top of the UK charts id believe it

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
dont diss oval office Omnibus until you try it

I cant do Zangiefs h kick counter aerial spinning pile driver

I mean, i can do it spazzing in real games, but for some reason cant do it in trials

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

S.J. posted:

Does buying the season pass unlock all the colors for the characters as well?

We don't know yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

By the way, why don't Capcom have a couple of PSN accounts with all the colours and costumes unlocked for TOs to use during tournaments?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

enojy posted:

I'm newish and I caught it in the demo, but only after whiffing the first hit of b.HK like 50 times and watching the demo maybe 10 times to try and figure out how Ryu was so close at v-trigger. I also recalled some poo poo in USFIV's Challenge Mode being similarly sneaky in its instructions, so barring that, I'd have probably given up and said nope this isn't even possible. I'm glad it "teaches" stuff like this to you, but a hint or something (lil more detail in the combo sequence?) would be nice.

I agree with you I was making fun of the other guy

Well designed modern fightgames have things like input display during demos to help out with this stuff

I'm somehow still shocked at how badly capcom managed to botch SF5 features

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

To Klams and whoever else is being ridiculously overdramatic about all their friends not playing fighty games and whatnot, if you're interested in playing with people just get involved in the fighting game scene, there's usually a wide variety of people in them that you'll probably find a real friend or two and then you can have more friends and play fighting games with them, it's pretty sweet

Here's a map of scenes go wild:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=z8Vvh91OPX8A.ktZXdFFx4uoE&hl=en_US

Also if anyone wants to say hello at hypespotting i'll be there to retain my title

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

croutonZA posted:

We don't know yet but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

By the way, why don't Capcom have a couple of PSN accounts with all the colours and costumes unlocked for TOs to use during tournaments?

Wait, so at majors there's only the two first colors?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Agoat posted:

Wait, so at majors there's only the two first colors?

My poor sweet summer child

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

brian posted:

Also if anyone wants to say hello at hypespotting i'll be there to retain my title

this man will make you play 3s do not believe his lies

(But yeah, you can always find people nearby that like games and some of them are even okay! Although "nearby" is relative, depending on where you live...)

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

My poor sweet summer child

I don't know why I had assumed that after Ultra SF4 handled everything so well that we'd have any variation in tournament play. :|

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agoat posted:

I don't know why I had assumed that after Ultra SF4 handled everything so well that we'd have any variation in tournament play. :|

Capcom is not a very smart company.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

:sigh:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Trials actual taught me that some combos require holding down a button while hitting others and then releasing it to trigger a special move on time.

I am a bad at Street Fighter.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Baal posted:

What are you going to say next? The sky is blue?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SFV is a bad game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Play Killer Instinct, Pokken Tournament, Guilty Gear, Breaker's Revenge instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007