Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bloody ghost titty posted:

YOU GONE GIT TORE UP FROM THE FLOOR UP SONNN

...aqua teen hunger force? No seriously I have no loving clue what you're doing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Bout to make some grenadine gimme a recipie please . I have pomegranate juice and molasses and rosewater

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

[quote="Fart Car '97" post=
Rump Shaker
1.5 oz Mount Gay Eclipse or Flora Cana 7yr
1 oz Dolin Dry or other nice dry vermouth
1.5 oz Grenadine (the real poo poo, I made this in house)
0.5 oz lime juice
Orange Bitters

Shake, server over rocks in a rocks glass.

Shake, serve over rocks.

Shake, serve over
[/quote]

Nevermind I used the recipe in The Bar Book and just made our other bartender make this for me and it rules. Might dial back the grenadine a little tho? I think mine ended up sweeter than yours because it did indeed include molasses

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

silvergoose posted:

...aqua teen hunger force? No seriously I have no loving clue what you're doing. :v:

You're asking if Navy strength rum tastes good in a daquiri. I am trying to draw you a picture of what the consequences of doing that will be. Also if you live in New York City, I will drink them with you.

Beware- Things will get weird.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh man I just had a Jack Rose w that grenadine too and it blew my socks off. What else should I use this poo poo in? I love this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bloody ghost titty posted:

You're asking if Navy strength rum tastes good in a daquiri. I am trying to draw you a picture of what the consequences of doing that will be. Also if you live in New York City, I will drink them with you.

Beware- Things will get weird.

I am okay with this picture, then. Drinking one in the evening at home is probably pretty safe!

Boston suburb, sorry. Thankfully, liquor stores nearby get pretty good stuff.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Nevermind I used the recipe in The Bar Book and just made our other bartender make this for me and it rules. Might dial back the grenadine a little tho? I think mine ended up sweeter than yours because it did indeed include molasses

Yeah its very dependent on your grenadine. Like I said I make mine a little lighter w. Less sugar and no molasses so ymmv. I'm glad you like it tho :)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah its very dependent on your grenadine. Like I said I make mine a little lighter w. Less sugar and no molasses so ymmv. I'm glad you like it tho :)

I had another one with 1oz grenadine and .75 lime and it was fuckin perfect for my tastes , nice cocktail! I used Flor de Caņa 7yr & Dolin Dry but I'd be excited to experiment with other spirits/fortified wines too.' Definitely some great poo poo going on there-- glad y'all are selling the Camplemousse too!! We've been moving it as well and thankfully I work at a restaurant where they let me give drinks whatever dumb names I want.

Other new recent addition:
2oz Pisco
.75 cinnamon syrup (2oz shattered cinnamon bark, 4 cups sugar 4 cups water bring it to a boil then let it sit overnight)
.75 lime
Couple dashes Angostura

Muddle an orange wedge with the cinnamon syrup, combine other ingredients, shake, strain over rocks. Would probably be really pretty over crushed ice but I haven't brought a mallet/lewis bag to work yet. Very nice easy-drinking springtime stuff tho

edit: PS the recipe I saw for cinnamon syrup (I think the Death and Co book??) reccomended using a muddler to break up the cinnamon sticks but I quickly found that loving miserable and dug out a pair of pliers and broke them up real real quick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also started running a Moscow mule thing with saffron-peppercorn infused vodka & Fevertree ginger beer that we've been selling the poo poo out of. Blessed to work in an Indian restaurant where we already have a huge supply of saffron and rosewater and cinnamon sticks and star anise and all that poo poo in the spice room and excited to keep experimenting with those ingredients

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
a place I worked at once had saffron and apricot syrup and I went to try and recreate that a few years later for a Comp and I'd never bought saffron in my life and I still haven't because drat that poo poo is pricey apparently

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's much much better at bulk obviously when you're like using it at a commercial level (but still pricey!) but yeah grocery store prices are absurd

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

This is a good thread imo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Btw I found a much better, catchier name for your rum drink if you can get it past management

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is it cool with you if I special it for a little bit? Again, switched out the ratios to 1oz grenadine & .75 lime but I'm in love with it. And of course if you make it down to Asheville NC at any point I'll make you free drinks until you throw up. If you want me to shout-out your name or your bar or whatever that's absolutely cool too, just lmk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there anything you can do with ouzo or sambuca in a cocktail without the anise overpowering everything? Most ouzo cocktail recipes I've seen are more like dangerous stunts than beverages.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

Is it cool with you if I special it for a little bit? Again, switched out the ratios to 1oz grenadine & .75 lime but I'm in love with it. And of course if you make it down to Asheville at any point I'll make you free drinks until you throw up. If you want me to shout-out your name or your bar or whatever that's absolutely cool too, just lmk

Only if you send me a picture of it on the menu/board because my GM decided not to run the drat thing because "the Grenadine wold be too expensive to make" (I yield about 4 cups grenadine from 4 pomegranates which is really good for $8 so wtf).

He generally has really awful taste in cocktails, to the point where we are considering having a meeting to talk about letting (cost effective) cocktails be added to the menu via a vote system because lots of good drinks don't go on the menu because of his poo poo taste.

To give you an idea he claims he likes cocktails with 'structure, that change flavor as they linger" and he just added a personal cocktail of his design to the menu which is loving 1.5 Voda, .5 lemon and .5 simple syrup topped with Liefman's Fruitesse which is basically cherry sodapop.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Im really upset that he jerked me around through 3 iterations of the cocktail and then decided not to run it for a bullshit not at all true price reason because the drink is really cost effective, especially considering we get to market it with house made grenadine

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

:( I'm sorry and I feel your struggle; I worked at my current gig for a year as bartender before our nighttime GM got ousted and her duties were split between myself as bar manager & somebody else as a general dinner/waitstaff manager. It was very frustrating working under somebody who was burnt out to the point that our wine/cocktail menu was destined to remain stagnant and even though it's been challenging it's also been very exciting/motivating to take over all those responsibilities . Absolutely will post a menu pic for you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also lol / :smith: at his cocktail example that you mentioned . Idk, hang in there, every restaurant is different but hopefully you can prove your worth and take his job one day

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Im really upset that he jerked me around through 3 iterations of the cocktail and then decided not to run it for a bullshit not at all true price reason because the drink is really cost effective, especially considering we get to market it with house made grenadine

That is pretty nuts. At most I'd say that's looking like a $3 cocktail, which is a little pricy if you're charging $12, but more than made up for by cheaper cocktails. But it's probably more like $2.50 which is not bad at all. What do you charge usually?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

To give you an idea he claims he likes cocktails with 'structure, that change flavor as they linger"

Here's one for him. (The first one is what I was thinking about, but I guess any of them). http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/11/20/9616000/brood-stock-broth-cocktails

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Only if you send me a picture of it on the menu/board because my GM decided not to run the drat thing because "the Grenadine wold be too expensive to make" (I yield about 4 cups grenadine from 4 pomegranates which is really good for $8 so wtf).

He generally has really awful taste in cocktails, to the point where we are considering having a meeting to talk about letting (cost effective) cocktails be added to the menu via a vote system because lots of good drinks don't go on the menu because of his poo poo taste.

To give you an idea he claims he likes cocktails with 'structure, that change flavor as they linger" and he just added a personal cocktail of his design to the menu which is loving 1.5 Voda, .5 lemon and .5 simple syrup topped with Liefman's Fruitesse which is basically cherry sodapop.

:cheers:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should probably try making it at home, is there any special process to making it, or do you just build it in a cup

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I should probably try making it at home, is there any special process to making it, or do you just build it in a cup

Fart Car's drink? Just combine ingredients, shake, strain into rocks glass. I've been garnishing it with a lemon peel which gives it a nice splash of color. Pomegranate seeds might look really cool though

edit: as a general rule, anything with citrus in it should probably be shaken to incorporate the ingredients & provide dilution

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Plus texture! Mouthfeel is a big part of a complete drink.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

That is pretty nuts. At most I'd say that's looking like a $3 cocktail, which is a little pricy if you're charging $12, but more than made up for by cheaper cocktails. But it's probably more like $2.50 which is not bad at all. What do you charge usually?

12 for that one probably, yeah. Maybe 13.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

God I wish I could charge $13 for poo poo but it's still kinda crazy to me how much stuff sells well at $10-$11 already given that we have entrees that start at like $13 (high end is $24~ or so)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I got some people to buy 65 dollar shots f grand Marnier 1880 the other night. We have a really varied crowd. Some are on black card expense accounts and couldn't give a flip what anything costs, some are on a budget and come for the 4 dollar happy hour wine and never for anything else.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just read this about memorizing cocktails on Reddit:

quote:

Hey dude, I'm in a similar enough position - I haven't worked behind a bar in a while (last time I did was 4 years ago at a really trashy club), and I needed a nighttime job and Melbourne has some fairly decent cocktail bars, so I applied what I learned from learning Japanese: mnemonic devices.

Long story short. Attach some form of imagery, it doesn't matter WHAT the imagery is (you're not being tested on how you remember, you're being tested on what you remember); what matters is how vivid you can make it - bonus points if there's some emotional relation to it.

And here's the kicker; the more absurd, the better it's remembered.

For example, a Last Word; equal parts gin, green chartreuse, lime juice and maraschino liquor.

I love Green Lantern, so this was easy; Abin Sur is the alien that crash lands (shake the cocktail) on Earth whose green power ring goes to Hal Jordan. Some origin stories have him saying some last words to Hal.

"Abin Sur's Last Words" is 4 words; there are 4 ingredients; he's a green lantern, so it's green chartreuse and lime juice. Gin is close enough to the spelling of green, and maraschino cherries (though, ironically, not the liquor) are red, just like Abin Sur's skin.

Sounds silly, but it's worked for me the past 8 days with cocktails (2 a day has compounded nicely), as well as with Japanese, and remembering street names in any grid-shaped city within seconds of orienting myself with a map.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yes a last word let me just look that up for you *pulls out comic almanac*

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's actually an adorable approach to memorising drinks and props to the guy if it works but I'm just envisioning being five deep and having an argument with myself over what colour kryptonite makes superman stronger while people look on in anger

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MC Eating Disorder posted:

It's actually an adorable approach to memorising drinks and props to the guy if it works but I'm just envisioning being five deep and having an argument with myself over what colour kryptonite makes superman stronger while people look on in anger

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I love Green Lantern, so this was easy; Abin Sur is the alien that crash lands (shake the cocktail) on Earth

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm a big fan of 1980's spoof comedy Airplane! so this one's a piece of cake. First thing to remember when making an Aviation is that when the entire crew comes down with food poisoning, the co-pilot, a blow-up doll named "Otto" clearly won't be able to take over and the plane is at risk of crashing (shaking the cocktail)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just got a bottle of cynar as a gift. I know it's fairly similar to vermouth, how should I store it and how long should I expect it to last?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just got a bottle of cynar as a gift. I know it's fairly similar to vermouth, how should I store it and how long should I expect it to last?

It's got a low ABV but it's not a fortified wine like vermouth -- you can store it unrefrigerated and it will last forever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Here's a nice "intro to Cynar" recipe that I like to make sometimes btw:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Here's a nice "intro to Cynar" recipe that I like to make sometimes btw:

Ooh thanks for this! I tried it out in a manhattan with 2oz rittenhouse rye, 3/4 sweet vermouth, and 1/2 cynar, and it was drat good. Looking forward to trying out different stuff with it! I hear it tastes pretty delicious when just put with OJ.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You could probably sub it for Campari in a Negroni or anything else, the flavors are pretty different but it'll still achieve the same effect. That smash recipe is one of my favorites though and that little .5oz of Cynar goes all the way. Credit goes to some random guy on BarNotes who has the first result when you search for "Cynar" (does that even exist anymore btw? It was like Pinterest for cocktails and it ruled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cynar slushies. Trust.