Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Molten Llama posted:

Especially after launching the iPhone Upgrade Program.

When people are contracted for the privilege of getting a new phone every year, you can be drat sure there will be a new phone every year.

Yeah, this is exciting. I hope they're developing some really cool things for the 7. There were some rumors about a double camera system. I wonder what else we'll find out about.

I think the Reality Distortion Field is still working fine in Jobs' absense. Apple has still grown to be the world's most valuable company and will probably stay that way for some time.

I think Cook is doing a fine job, thought I don't think Jobs would have let the Pencil bullshit fly. And maybe we would've seen some more daring innovation with Jobs rather than Cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What pencil bullshit? The fact some dweebs said 'hurr jobs said if you see a stylus you're doing it wrong' and decided that was the same thing as an artists tool? Or is there some massive flaw I'm unaware of. Everything I read (not much) seemed to indicate it was really good.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

EL BROMANCE posted:

What pencil bullshit? The fact some dweebs said 'hurr jobs said if you see a stylus you're doing it wrong' and decided that was the same thing as an artists tool? Or is there some massive flaw I'm unaware of. Everything I read (not much) seemed to indicate it was really good.

It may be good, but it's also really weird and expensive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eh, Steve's stylus comment was regarding the original iPhone, and given its capabilities, a stylus would have been largely pointless. I'm not even convinced it makes a lot of sense on modern smartphones. I don't really think he was envisioning people using their tablets for legitimate art uses in 2007, and I think he'd be hard-pressed to justify telling people to finger paint rather than use a really, really good stylus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah, this is exciting. I hope they're developing some really cool things for the 7. There were some rumors about a double camera system. I wonder what else we'll find out about.

Pfft forget the 7. People are already trying to figure out what the 7s will have!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/26/new-iphone-model-with-curved-glass-case-58-amoled-display-due-in-2017-insider-says

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, Steve's stylus comment was regarding the original iPhone, and given its capabilities, a stylus would have been largely pointless. I'm not even convinced it makes a lot of sense on modern smartphones. I don't really think he was envisioning people using their tablets for legitimate art uses in 2007, and I think he'd be hard-pressed to justify telling people to finger paint rather than use a really, really good stylus.

Exactly, but people love to be obtuse and decide these two things must be the same despite having next to nothing in common.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The good news is if something frustrates you in the podcast app, they'll fix it in the next iOS beta period (and then break something else or remove another useful feature instead).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Given that prototypes of the iPad were developed prior to the iPhone, I think using tablets for art uses was perfectly within the realm of possibility in 2007.

Then again, Apple had to get dragged into developing the App Store, and even when they did that, iOS was a content consumption system first and foremost for years. So yeah, who knows.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just recently tried Overcast, and it was great, except that it doesn't mark a podcast as played unless you played it alllll the way to the end. I usually cut it off right when the ads at the end start playing, so none of mine get marked as played. And sometimes it'll download some podcasts, but mark them as played before I've played them. I couldn't figure that one out.

However, I did love the variable settings per podcast though. Some have ads that are 30s and some are 7-10s, so the variable skip settings were awesome.

I went back to stock Podcasts though due to the played issues.

Or you could just hit the skip button like twice? Seems like a really dumb reason to use a lovely alternative.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Recall that in those days people were using Palm OS and Windows Mobile, operating systems where every single interaction was stylus-controlled. He was talking about moving away from that to a finger-friendly interface so we wouldn't have to dick around with a fiddly little bit of plastic every time we wanted to do something. I doubt he was advocating eschewing styli for the purposes of drawing on a tablet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Or you could just hit the skip button like twice? Seems like a really dumb reason to use a lovely alternative.

What? I said I liked the variable skip lengths?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Actually the 5 came out a year after he died. Steve only approved of the 3.5" form factor.
I can't loving imagine going back to a 3.5" iPhone. I used them for a while and they worked fine then, but now that I've had a larger screen for so long, I feel like going back to that would be akin to torture.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

What? I said I liked the variable skip lengths?

No, to get to the end of the podcast.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
All these people who claim they could not go back to a smaller screen, what do you need the big screen for? What are you using your phones for? Not once when I had an iPhone 5 did I want a larger screen, and not once since getting a 6s have I thought "I'm glad I have a bigger screen". But I have frequently thought "this is too big for my pocket" or "I can't hold this firmly in my hand and reach the entire screen".

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phthisis posted:

All these people who claim they could not go back to a smaller screen, what do you need the big screen for? What are you using your phones for? Not once when I had an iPhone 5 did I want a larger screen, and not once since getting a 6s have I thought "I'm glad I have a bigger screen". But I have frequently thought "this is too big for my pocket" or "I can't hold this firmly in my hand and reach the entire screen".

It's nice to be able to fit more stuff on the screen. It's also far more comfortable for two-thumb typing, in my experience, and if you play any dexterity-based games the increased space to move offers finer control.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Phthisis posted:

Do you have tiny hands? The iPhones I've owned go from 3GS > 4 > 4S > 5S > 6 and I can easily say the 6 is the best one I've owned. Before I got it, I thought the larger screen might be a drawback, but I've owned this phone for a year and a half and it seriously owns. I even kinda want to try the 7+ when that comes out, although that might be too big.

I mainly use my phone for social media, web surfing, photography, music and podcasts. For some of those things, like podcasts for example, it obviously doesn't matter. But for stuff like web surfing and photography, it's invaluable to have a larger display. And I've never thought it's too big for my hands or hard to type with or anything.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Phthisis posted:

I'm switching from a Nexus 6 to the SE (and already have a 5S for work). The extra screen is awesome for some cases, but I'd rather have the portability and stable-ness of iOS again so

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I quickly got used to the bigger screen of the 6 and didn't think beforehand that I would need it. Now, when I hold a 5, the screen seems tiny. However, it was much better in the hand and I'm sure I'd get used to the smaller screen again should I switch back to that size.

tl;dr: the 5 was a great design and made my hands look less like Trump's.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

How much money do these analysts make and if it's boatloads how do I get a job as one?

The iPhone 8, which will arrive most likely after 2017 but definitely 100% before 2020, will definitely have a faster CPU/GPU unit, a better screen, and at worst the same battery life as we have today. It will be either lighter or heavier than the current iPhone 6s. We think that there's a good chance that it will use the new USB C connector.

Please hire me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You earn a living wage, but have to sacrifice your dignity. I am not a person capable of doing that so I will forever be a computer janitor.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'd move up to a 7+ from a normal sized 6 if the + sized models support the pencil.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I just recently tried Overcast, and it was great, except that it doesn't mark a podcast as played unless you played it alllll the way to the end. I usually cut it off right when the ads at the end start playing, so none of mine get marked as played. And sometimes it'll download some podcasts, but mark them as played before I've played them. I couldn't figure that one out.

However, I did love the variable settings per podcast though. Some have ads that are 30s and some are 7-10s, so the variable skip settings were awesome.

I went back to stock Podcasts though due to the played issues.

Taps after the first one skip for longer, so if you have something like 3mins of dead at the end of a podcast for some reason, 3 or 4 quick taps will get to the end instantly.
You can also just swipe the episode to delete it afterwards, and it won't re-download these.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I try not to rely too much on AirPlay, but ugh the amount of apps that interfere with it is getting on my nerves. It feels like if I'm watching a stream, I can't dare open any social media app because it'll auto play a video and my stream will stop. And AirPlay will turn itself off then, for some reason.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Any recommended aux cables with "headphone" controls built in, preferably on Amazon? I want to be able to use the two/three click shortcuts in Music to skip/go back tracks in the car.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

enojy posted:

Any recommended aux cables with "headphone" controls built in, preferably on Amazon? I want to be able to use the two/three click shortcuts in Music to skip/go back tracks in the car.

Just yell at Siri.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do you have tiny hands? The iPhones I've owned go from 3GS > 4 > 4S > 5S > 6 and I can easily say the 6 is the best one I've owned. Before I got it, I thought the larger screen might be a drawback, but I've owned this phone for a year and a half and it seriously owns. I even kinda want to try the 7+ when that comes out, although that might be too big.

I mainly use my phone for social media, web surfing, photography, music and podcasts. For some of those things, like podcasts for example, it obviously doesn't matter. But for stuff like web surfing and photography, it's invaluable to have a larger display. And I've never thought it's too big for my hands or hard to type with or anything.

I have large hands, though I have thin fingers, so I've never ran into issues typing. I also don't type two-handed.

Does the extra screen size really matter that much for web surfing? Granted, pretty much the only visual things I use my phone for are emails, facebook, and the awful app (text threads only), so the only time I'm looking at images is on facebook. I also don't play any phone games either. I guess I just never really do things that people want a bigger screen for. I'm just surprised I'm in such a minority for it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

enojy posted:

Tweaked audio headphones work in this manner, except, inexplicably they don't sometimes.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I just always found reading text on a 3.5-4" iPhone to be a cramped and uncomfortable experience. Like, reading news articles, I'd rather just save them and read them when I got to a computer. I find holding a 6S to be more awkward than my old 5, but I enjoy using the thing a lot more thanks to the bigger screen. Sorry if that offends anyone!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enojy posted:

You could use a Beats RemoteTalk cable. Genuine ones are a little pricey on Amazon (~$30) but knockoffs go for under $10. I can't vouch for the knockoffs but I expect they work well enough for your purposes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Better watch out, or Steve Jobs will rise from the grave and strangle you with a turtleneck.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Phthisis posted:

I do literally everything on my phone and hardly ever use my laptop anymore. I watch movies, edit photos, read books, browse the web etc. all on my phone. And a bigger screen is also better for games.

I never really cared about using my phone with one hand, so it's not even something I think about when I buy a phone. I used to have Android phones (Galaxy Note) because they had big screens. I only switched to iOS when the Plus phones came out even though I had an iPad and Mac.

Edit: I think it helps that I'm a woman and my pants have tiny pockets when they have them at all. I'm used to just carrying my phone in my purse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Phthisis posted:

But I have frequently thought "this is too big for my pocket" or "I can't hold this firmly in my hand and reach the entire screen".

Have you ever considered that maybe we don't?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Phthisis posted:

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why would I ever want a bigger screen ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!?????

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why would I ever want a bigger screen ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!?????

Same

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope the 7+ is even bigger and can break your toe if you drop it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It can be like that sword from lord of the rings and glow blue when a smaller iPhone is nearby

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 29, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

No, to get to the end of the podcast.

Khablam posted:

Taps after the first one skip for longer, so if you have something like 3mins of dead at the end of a podcast for some reason, 3 or 4 quick taps will get to the end instantly.
You can also just swipe the episode to delete it afterwards, and it won't re-download these.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Thanks!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Vanellope posted:

I do literally everything on my phone and hardly ever use my laptop anymore. I watch movies, edit photos, read books, browse the web etc. all on my phone. And a bigger screen is also better for games.

I never really cared about using my phone with one hand, so it's not even something I think about when I buy a phone. I used to have Android phones (Galaxy Note) because they had big screens. I only switched to iOS when the Plus phones came out even though I had an iPad and Mac.

Edit: I think it helps that I'm a woman and my pants have tiny pockets when they have them at all. I'm used to just carrying my phone in my purse.

This last bit is a good point, and I've seen a lot of people who carry purses or messenger bags preferring phablets because that reduces the need for carrying their iPad everywhere they go. That's why my mom went that way, and it's pretty much the perfect phone for her.

I'm surprised gesture keyboards like Swype aren't mentioned more often in regards to the "one handed use" debate. I have tiny bitch-rear end circus freak hands and when I tried using Swype on a 6 (not even the plus) even that felt awkward and cumbersome to me.

I definitely understand that the SE is a device with a limited demographic, but as a member of that demographic I'm awfully glad it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AstroZamboni posted:

This last bit is a good point, and I've seen a lot of people who carry purses or messenger bags preferring phablets because that reduces the need for carrying their iPad everywhere they go. That's why my mom went that way, and it's pretty much the perfect phone for her.

I'm surprised gesture keyboards like Swype aren't mentioned more often in regards to the "one handed use" debate. I have tiny bitch-rear end circus freak hands and when I tried using Swype on a 6 (not even the plus) even that felt awkward and cumbersome to me.

I definitely understand that the SE is a device with a limited demographic, but as a member of that demographic I'm awfully glad it exists.

I have big masculine axe-gripping hands and I got an SE because I like the smaller form factor and realise that iOS games are at best a weak distraction so it wasn't a big deal for me to have a smaller screen.