Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I dislike needing to choose which asterisk to take :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Beat this yesterday, literally just in time before I went to the store to pick up Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Needless to say, I really liked it! Pretty much all of the game's mechanics have been refined and improved upon compared to Bravely Default where they were already excellent. Combat is still great and pretty much all of the jobs feel useful in some way and you can make nearly any combination work.

The game is surprisingly light-hearted and cheerful (which is why the change they made to the sidequests fits, imo) but the story is still engaging, if a tad predictable. The finale is fantastic and it did some really clever stuff that surpasses even Bravely Default's ending. The characters and their interaction with each other is fantastic - I'm really interested to see where they take it next, given some things that happen at the end.

The music is not on the same level as BD's though it's still pretty good and the game does reuse a few too many locations from the first game, but other than that, there's not much to criticize.

10/10, would Brave again

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I only just got the demo yesterday, which is really fun, but I agree with the poster above me that the music is nowhere near as good or memorable as it was in the first game (though it's definitely not bad).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

In NG+, is it possible to have all of the side quest jobs at the same time?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Chapter 5 spoilers:

poo poo, that was a really cool way to progress to Chapter 5. It was obvious enough that I had a strong hunch what I had to do when Yew told me to go back but I still felt clever when I figured it out. Having to do all the sidequests again is annoying, but at least it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as the last game with the repeated content so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Minrad posted:

In NG+, is it possible to have all of the side quest jobs at the same time?

Yup.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Retcon posted:

Chapter 5 spoilers:

poo poo, that was a really cool way to progress to Chapter 5. It was obvious enough that I had a strong hunch what I had to do when Yew told me to go back but I still felt clever when I figured it out. Having to do all the sidequests again is annoying, but at least it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as the last game with the repeated content so far.

The sidequests are way shorter now that you have already explored the dungeons and the characters know what's going to happen, so it's okay.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So either im missing something or all the online guides for this are rubbish at the minute.

I've just spent 15 minutes trying to find out about something called chain spell which is allegedly an ability, but i can't find which job it's on or where to find it or if it's got a different translation or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kin posted:

So either im missing something or all the online guides for this are rubbish at the minute.

I've just spent 15 minutes trying to find out about something called chain spell which is allegedly an ability, but i can't find which job it's on or where to find it or if it's got a different translation or whatever.

The two guides on Gamefaqs are fine, but it probably means Echo, which is part of the final asterisk you can unlock in chapter 6. Said job unlocks level 11 abilities in all other jobs once you equip a 1 point passive on a character too.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Gameplay is better than ever, but the story and music are all second rate to the first game. Kind of a shame.

Wonder if they have any future plans for this series? I wouldn't mind a Bravely Third that's set in a new world with new characters or something.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

DoctorX posted:

The sidequests are way shorter now that you have already explored the dungeons and the characters know what's going to happen, so it's okay.
Yeah, I am done with the sidequests in Chapter 5 (I think) and it was pretty painless. Edea being all "yeah whatever, we know how this is going to end so bring it on" was pretty great. Some of the alternate endings to the sidequests were pretty interesting too - didn't expect that choosing Praeline in the Pirate/Performer sidequest would lead to a better ending for that quest.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
I don't remember this coming up in the thread, so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it as I can't see how it relates to the rest of the game at all personally. Speaking to the Florem Matriarch at the end of Chapter IV:
Sylvie would like me to tell you this...
...Edea Lee.
...A time is coming for you to come to a decision, no matter how difficult it may seem.
You must tell your friends, then you must lie to the people, deceive the world, make yourself out as a tyrant in word and deed...
Let yourself be attacked and blamed.
Go after the friends you have lost.
Take that glimmering ship to the sky once more!
And that world, bound in the sky...
Well, I'm afraid that this old lady has no idea about that.

It's entirely possible that I'm missing some sort of obvious connection, I'm kind of oblivious sometimes.

Sylvie has text which could be referring to either the Skyhold or to something else in the context of the above:
...Miss Edea.
...So many tears, so many cries you will come to know from now on.
So much evil... So much blood...
But even so...
Even so, that great ship will take to the sky once more...!
To the world, bound in the sky, where Lady Agnes is held...!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh poo poo, I never came across that. Seems like sequel bait.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Spoilers for the ending:

That ending was goddamn spectacular. It's everything I wanted the Default ending to be and so much more. The final battle played out so incredibly well and I just didn't see the whole directly addressing the player thing coming. What's great is the game already made you do it once, so it set up the idea that it could happen, but then Providence taking control of your game was amazing. Goddamn, the happy ending for everyone brought a tear to my eye.

Although I'm peeved that there was an achievement for keeping the game on hard the entire time. I beat every single boss and dungeon on hard, I just turned it down to casual for hot spring grinding!

Whilst I haven't played the postgame yet I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Second is better than Default. Whilst I can see some saying it's derivative, it takes the Default's plot concepts and actually runs them properly, which is exactly what a sequel should do in my book. It also doesn't really have any low points to it, each chapter is refreshing and fun to play out, whereas Default stutters really heavily around Chapter 5/6 and honestly doesn't get back to form until Chapter 8. That and I just liked the characters in Second a lot more. Mainly because Agnes wasn't being a pain and they made Tiz genuinely interesting as opposed to the first game where he kinda fell into the background.

The only downside I think there is is with the Job system being as varied as it is. The strength of Default was that the designers appeared to figure out all the ways you could utterly break the game and design fights with that in mind, but the lategame parts of Second felt a little disappointing when every single boss just went down in a hail of meteors because they weren't able to kill my characters with Res Mist up. In fact, I think the entirety of Second's weakness comes from the Wizard class in general, because Spellcraft just downright breaks so much of the game.

It might be that they figured this out in postgame, I'll soon find out.

TLDR: Buy this goddamn game it's amazing.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I'm at florem and my team are high level, usually one or two levels above recommended but I'm still feeling that my team are weak.

My current set up is:
Tiz black mage/red mage
Edea bishop/ red mage
Magnolia ninja/charioteer
Yew Hawkeye/ charioteer

I keep reading on here that Hawkeye is a good class but mine is so defensively weak and uses so much BP, I end up using trample most of the time anyway

Same with ninja, so far it's not doing much damage at all and again I end up using trample!!!

Why are my physical attackers so weak? I quite liked the fencer class but it was a bit of a pain to have to brave so much and do a big sequence.

My magic users are better and can both spellcraft but aren't much use in dungeons due to the amount of MP they consume and aspir barely recouping them back.

Am I sticking at jobs for long enough to get the good moves, I normally stay to level 6/7?

Any tips to help my team suck less?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Spoilers for the postgame

So I finally beat everything. I was disappointed a little by the postgame because all the bosses were just the Default dragons and I already know how to beat those easily. Just for fun I didn't use Ninjas or my Templar strat and still managed to win. That said, the super boss was actually worth a drat this time, probably because of how horribly underleveled I was, I think I went in at something like 82, so every attack from the boss would onehit kill a party member. Still after a few attempts I managed to get my timemage to work properly and then drop meteors until the boss died. Fox companion giving adventurer 3 BP is utterly lethal though. I think this puts the postgame above Default's as well, so broadly speaking, it's just a much better game overall.

I think one of the things that was a mistake was to put such a high JP requirement on the job levels, especially in conjunction with a hard cap of 999 JP per fight and alongside the new subsequent battle thing. The game should feel like it's about exploring all these different class ideas and it really felt like such a chore to switch characters out once I'd invested deeply in a set of classes for them.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I never finished Bravely Default, but I recently picked it back up and I'm up to the final boss.

I thought it'd be fun to use some friend summons, but one of them turned out to do damage to my own party and it killed all of them. :negative:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You actually got Dark Nebula'd? I always sent that out in the hopes of getting someone. :evilbuddy:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The two guides on Gamefaqs are fine, but it probably means Echo, which is part of the final asterisk you can unlock in chapter 6. Said job unlocks level 11 abilities in all other jobs once you equip a 1 point passive on a character too.

Chainspell is the Red Mage's level 11 ability. It's essentially Echo with a 100% proc rate.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Ojetor posted:

You actually got Dark Nebula'd? I always sent that out in the hopes of getting someone. :evilbuddy:

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the attack names and just picked ones that were above 9999. I also never really used Dark Knight, so even if I had looked at the attack names I probably wouldn't have recognized it.

Now I've finished Bravely Default and learned that it had a teaser for Bravely Second all along.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Got the secret Ba'al through update data just now. It's a teddy bear. It's dated from 2015 so it must have been passed from a JP game.

Doesn't seem like they even bothered to translate his name.
I also got a copy of every single Ba'al on the update except Goldie, which I need just one of to finish the Journal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Got the secret Ba'al through update data just now. It's a teddy bear. It's dated from 2015 so it must have been passed from a JP game.

Yeah I watched a video of that fight and it's an odd one as far as Ba'als go, storywise. It doesn't seem to have any connection to Vega and Altair aside from maybe some sort of lingering desire to have a kid. It's not numbered or anything. Maybe sequel bait just like the Ba'als were, maybe just something fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's probably hinting at that.

e: I said yeah but I'm technically disagreeing? Either way, it's just a little fun.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 29, 2016

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Chainspell is the Red Mage's level 11 ability. It's essentially Echo with a 100% proc rate.

Can't chain-proc though, and it's 3 points instead of 2. Probably more powerful than Echo on average, but getting lucky with Echo is so much more fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

fezball posted:

Can't chain-proc though, and it's 3 points instead of 2. Probably more powerful than Echo on average, but getting lucky with Echo is so much more fun.

So chainspell is a 100% proc chance on 3 points. So for 2 BP you'll get 80,000 damage.

Echo is a 25% proc on 2 points that can chain from itself. So for 2 BP you'll get 40,000 + an amount based on an infinite geometric series on 25%. This is 53,333 damage (if my napkin maths is right)

So yeah, basically if 1 ability point is worth 27,777 damage per 2 BP then chainspell beats Echo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yokai should be your main job if you're wanting Echo. It's got awesome stats in every way with a great skillset that ticks a lot of boxes so really, Echo should be free. Dunno if you can make chainspell and echo proc off each other though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Yokai should be your main job if you're wanting Echo. It's got awesome stats in every way with a great skillset that ticks a lot of boxes so really, Echo should be free. Dunno if you can make chainspell and echo proc off each other though.

I presume you could get them to proc off each other, which means a full Chainspell/Echo party could alpha an opponent for 853k damage average on the first turn.

The thing is even if your class is Yokai, the opportunity cost of Echo is still 2 BP because you're not in Wizard and getting Spellcraft for free.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I presume you could get them to proc off each other, which means a full Chainspell/Echo party could alpha an opponent for 853k damage average on the first turn.

The thing is even if your class is Yokai, the opportunity cost of Echo is still 2 BP because you're not in Wizard and getting Spellcraft for free.

That's why you have someone with Ventriloquism. Spellcraft affects all of the parties spells = no need for Spellcraft on everyone.

But I mean, there's not really any point in going full optimised in Bravely Second. Everything is easy and nothing needs a game breaker.

e: The secret Ba'al has Minstrel's Garb has its rare steal for me by the way.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ah yes, all those crazy class combinations... That's the Bravely Default I remember! Or course, us non-EU goons just got our hands on the demo so my thought process is limited to "I made Magnolia a Red Mage 'cuz she looks reel purdy." Feels like they maybe could have come up with a better class name than 'Wizard' especially if you still plan to include Black Mage as a job, but I love the Spellcrafting feature all the same. Please don't make us wait long to get the crazy poo poo like that, retail version.

And to those of you who speak French, is "La vache! " actually an obscure slangy expression of shock, or can I expect Magnolia to continue pulling random exclamations out of her rear end?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Rangpur posted:

And to those of you who speak French, is "La vache! " actually an obscure slangy expression of shock, or can I expect Magnolia to continue pulling random exclamations out of her rear end?

In Japanese she speaks English and says "good gravy!" instead of that. Except that one time she was so shocked she said "bad gravy!" instead.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Finished the game. Non-spoilery thoughts: Really liked it, I think it's an improvement over the first game in almost every way.

Spoilers for the final boss and ending:

My final party was: (everyone at Lv. 74)

Yokai/Pirate Magnolia as the debuffer/secondary damage dealer. Not having a Pirate in the party just feels wrong to me, they are so incredibly useful to have.

Kaiser/Monk Tiz as the main damage dealer/item user. Tiz was my utility party member this time around, spending a lot of time in jobs like Performer or Thief. I regret almost never using Thief in BD, I got so many amazing items from stealing in Chapter 5.

Templar/Dark Knight Edea because Rampart is great and I wanted to use Dark Knight more since I almost never used it in BD. She was a physical attacker for the entire time, feels wrong for her to not be be stabbing things in battle.

Astrologian/Bishop Yew for healing and buffs (not that buffs were that useful in the final boss battle). Like Ringabel in BD, he was my mage/healer 90% of the game. Seemed appropriate, given that he is a bookworm and I think his stats are geared towards that role anyway.

They really got me with the "deleting your data" fakeout, I was literally shouting "NO!" at my 3DS. You know they're not going to actually do it, but seeing that warning that you're about to delete your data is not something you want to see in a 50 hour RPG! I hope this series continues to be this meta; it fucks with my mind in a really enjoyable way. The final boss actually wiped my party twice - either the damage his Salvation/Ruin attacks deal gets higher as the fight progresses or the "attack is equal to defense" ability really increases his attack, because those attacks went from dealing very little damage to killing my party in Default state from full health. After the second time I decided I was having none of that poo poo and used up my SP to kill him before that could happen with the special attacks I stocked up.

Very nice ending, It's much happier than the BD ending but those guys earned it, especially Tiz and Agnes. It's nice that they didn't beat around the bush and just straight up had Agnes tell Tiz that she wants to marry him. Somehow they even managed to retroactively explain why you had the hourglass in the first game. The post-credits scene was Metal Gear as poo poo and together with the story stuff introduced in the Yokai sidequests sets things up nicely for Bravely Third.

10/10, would brave again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't not have Tiz be Astrologian. It's so appropriate as far as the story goes, and it looks real good on him as well.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Finished the demo. It's interesting how they've divvyed up the traditional Final Fantasy magic categories. Instead of just plain White Mage/Black mage you have elemental damage/restorative magic/buffs with a seperate class dedicated to each and a 4th that makes them all more flexible as a subset but has weak options on its own. I don't think this counts as a spoiler question, but how many magic skillsets can Spellcraft apply to in the main game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All of them.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Terper posted:

All of them.
Yeah, and it owns. There is so much stuff you can do with Spellcrafting and every time I got a new Magic job my first thought was "how can I use Spellcraft to make this broken?".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well I guess there's one exception but that one's not really a magic class.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I really liked Bravely Default, since it was blatantly made for me specifically. Is this game that but better, without BD's weird pacing issues?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I really liked Bravely Default, since it was blatantly made for me specifically. Is this game that but better, without BD's weird pacing issues?
The gameplay has some very nice improvements (like being able to save a party setup for later use) and the pacing is way better than in BD.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's basically "More Bravely Default". Same gameplay at its core with improvements and new jobs. The story and characterisation is worse overall and its jokes get old by the end but it doesn't groundhog day.
You really liked Default, you'll really like Second.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I like the story and characterization in BS more so to each their own.

There's certainly no standout "problem" like in BD. I mean except like, the bitrate on the voices which is just bad.

Bad: Sound quality, Braev's voice

Oh...: Music's not done by Revo, few tough endgame challenges

Huh?: Some weird story beats and underutilized stuff

Nice: Basically everything else

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Am I just underleveled or are the Evil Idols in the basement ridiculously powerful? I've got a Gale Staff and casting Aero and it's still only doing like 24 damage. I mean I'm level 14, isn't the cap only 20?

• Locked thread