Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

r0ck0 posted:

nexus player and shield support refresh rate switching if they are on android 6.0.x

Good to know. It'd be nice if there was a rundown of features that was kept up to date somewhere.

Edit: I also love my NUC. I run Windows 10 for Netflix and emulators and stuff. It may be overkill but I'd rather have that then put up with slowdowns. It's only been quite recent that Android boxes have caught up to the performance of a weak Windows machine. I've seen a lot of people buy 2 or 3 Android boxes since I've got my NUC and it's not anywhere near the end of it's useful life yet.

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a small HTPC that was running Windows, but I got a FireTV and converted the HTPC into a Plex server. Works a lot better. Local content, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, all with 5.1 support. Windows has spotty 5.1 support with that content.

I guess I would miss out on Google Play content, but I can Chromecast for that. Although I haven't tested, so I'm not sure I'd have 5.1 support.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TomR posted:

Good to know. It'd be nice if there was a rundown of features that was kept up to date somewhere.

Edit: I also love my NUC. I run Windows 10 for Netflix and emulators and stuff. It may be overkill but I'd rather have that then put up with slowdowns. It's only been quite recent that Android boxes have caught up to the performance of a weak Windows machine. I've seen a lot of people buy 2 or 3 Android boxes since I've got my NUC and it's not anywhere near the end of it's useful life yet.

My $99 Fire TV can play PSP games. I think you're underestimating how powerful Android boxes have gotten. (Also it's super nice to link official Android apps to the front page of Kodi instead of trying to come up with some hack solution to integrate them or make them play nice with a remote)

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Keito posted:

It depends on what you want from your setup, really.

Are you going to use the machine exclusively for Kodi? It performs the best under Linux, but if you have any streaming service requirements outside of Netflix you'll likely want to be running Windows or Android which have better commercial backing. If you want to play actual Bluray discs you'll likely want Windows because I don't think any other platforms have on-the-fly decryption software available (this may have changed, I really don't care).

Android really is a subpar platform but I think on high end devices like the Shield TV you'll mostly have feature parity with the PC releases, and I'm sure they're good enough for most people. H.265 is incoming fast too, so no matter what you choose I'd make sure it either has hardware decoding or enough raw power to software decode it. Preferably the latter as you'll then be ready for whatever weird nonstandard encoding profiles people decide to use.

I really love my i5 NUC box running OpenELEC, but it's pretty much overkill for Kodi use. It should be good for many years to come and yet uses barely any power so I regret nothing.

Yeah we don't need Netflix or Bluray. Seems like Linux is the way to go.

Is OpenELEC similar to "Kodibuntu" listed on the official Kodi site? What sets them apart from a regular Mint/Ubuntu install with Kodi?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use a Steam Link for gaming. Makes sense for me.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Is OpenELEC similar to "Kodibuntu" listed on the official Kodi site? What sets them apart from a regular Mint/Ubuntu install with Kodi?

OpenELEC is more of an "appliance"; you do everything in Kodi and never drop out to GNOME or anything like that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Call Me Charlie posted:

My $99 Fire TV can play PSP games. I think you're underestimating how powerful Android boxes have gotten. (Also it's super nice to link official Android apps to the front page of Kodi instead of trying to come up with some hack solution to integrate them or make them play nice with a remote)

No I'm not. They are good now, but that's only recent. A NUC is still way more powerful, but most of that power will go to waste watching TV.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

r0ck0 posted:

I have a nexus player, works great, much better than windows. The shield is higher power 4k capable.

The Nexus player is an Android device running on an x86 processor. Does this create compatibility problems with other android apps? This is at the same price point as a regular ARM box. Is it significantly more powerful?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

TomR posted:

http://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV

Shield is the way to go when it comes to android. Hopefully the devs can sort out the current disagreements they are having.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bigsteve posted:

http://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV

Shield is the way to go when it comes to android. Hopefully the devs can sort out the current disagreements they are having.

Doubt it if SPMC is any indication. Which is disappointing. I see both sides but: If you are using Android TV - in particular a Shield - and you haven't tried SPMC lately, you should. It's on Google Play and fixes a poo poo-ton of audio issues, some of which I only vaguely knew I had (like low volume that had me turning up the volume on my TV/AV to extreme levels) as well as better video quality, Android TV recommendations (which is in the experimental stage) and more.

Since it doesn't fit the one-size-fits-all model of Kodi a lot of these changes got rejected which led to this fork, which in theory sucks...but currently it means SPMC is taking the lead for best Kodi client on Android TV. Of course, the developer could implode, or disappear, or whatever in the future or just lag new Kodi releases in general but what can you do, I suppose.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ixian posted:

Doubt it if SPMC is any indication. Which is disappointing. I see both sides but: If you are using Android TV - in particular a Shield - and you haven't tried SPMC lately, you should. It's on Google Play and fixes a poo poo-ton of audio issues, some of which I only vaguely knew I had (like low volume that had me turning up the volume on my TV/AV to extreme levels) as well as better video quality, Android TV recommendations (which is in the experimental stage) and more.

Since it doesn't fit the one-size-fits-all model of Kodi a lot of these changes got rejected which led to this fork, which in theory sucks...but currently it means SPMC is taking the lead for best Kodi client on Android TV. Of course, the developer could implode, or disappear, or whatever in the future or just lag new Kodi releases in general but what can you do, I suppose.

You ca run both, right? Like if I don't want to gently caress up my Kodi install I could try out SPMC without it messing with anything?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

You ca run both, right? Like if I don't want to gently caress up my Kodi install I could try out SPMC without it messing with anything?

Yes

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Can I install SMPC and copy over advancedsettings.xml and have it use my existing Kodi MySQL data to maintain my watch status? The Android TV recommendations are appealing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Can I install SMPC and copy over advancedsettings.xml and have it use my existing Kodi MySQL data to maintain my watch status? The Android TV recommendations are appealing.

Yes you can run both and it is compatible with the Kodi config files. Though I can't speak to what it may or may not write to your MySQL db that may (or may not) conflict with the mainline Kodi - I use the Emby Kodi addon, where it doesn't matter.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm running both just fine. May move to somc fully but at the moment it's just stick with kodi.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
So I'm an idiot and bought a Rii i25 remote despite my PC running Kodi not having an IR receiver. The dongle that came with it only receives RF apparently so the keyboard buttons work but the directional keys are sent by IR so they don't work.

I'm a bit pissed at myself because I thought I'd have a new remote to play with but if I can't navigate Kodi it's not much use.

What are my options? Buy a cheap IR receiver and have two receivers for the one remote? I'm running out of USB ports as it is. Or do I just return it and try and find an RF remote?

I'm quite annoyed because the design of the thing is just what I want - it's just that I can't use it and looking at other popular remotes of the same style - they're all IR.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Get a Flirc. It's pretty great.

https://flirc.tv/

If you need more ports, just get a USB hub. I have all my cables extended to be pointing out next to my TV, anyway, so just having a single cable and a hub there would make it all cleaner.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a weird issue. I updated Kodi to 16 from 15.1 on my upnp computer and now it's completely broken. The CPU ramps up to 100%, the program freezes and my request times out.

Is there an issue with upnp on 16 or is it my installation? Is there some way I can roll back to 15.2 to fix my problem without losing my settings?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Does Flirc Work With Nexus Player Controller?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Does Flirc Work With Nexus Player Controller?

The Flirc is an IR receiver and the Nexus Player Controller works over Bluetooth so no.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Here's a weird issue. I updated Kodi to 16 from 15.1 on my upnp computer and now it's completely broken. The CPU ramps up to 100%, the program freezes and my request times out.

Is there an issue with upnp on 16 or is it my installation? Is there some way I can roll back to 15.2 to fix my problem without losing my settings?

As I recall, when you do an upgrade, Kodi copies your database to a new one, but uses your settings in-place. So if any settings were changed during or after the upgrade, the downgraded version would use those. That said, what you might try is backing up your settings and databases, removing them completely, uninstalling, and doing a fresh install, to see if you can duplicate the problem. For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about a problem like that.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 running openelec. I've currently got a USB mouse plugged into it for going through the Kodi menus but was wondering what kit I need to just have a decent, basic and reliable remote.

I've tried a bluetooth keyboard I have but it's incredibly frustrating as the connection is lost when the keyboard puts itself to sleep and then only sometimes reconnects upon turning back on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been using a Windows MCE remote receiver for almost eleven years now and it's been automatically supported by every HTPC frontend I've tried over that time. All versions of WinMCE of course, XBMC/Kodi, Plex, Boxee, MediaPortal, it just works. Almost every universal remote has support for them as well, since it's also the same IR protocol as the Xbox 360.

The official ones are hard to find these days because they haven't been made in years, but a lot of third-party remote receivers speak the same protocol. If it says MCE in the name or has four colored buttons on the remote it's probably a MCE-compatible setup.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've still got the DVD remote and IR dongle kit from the old Xbox console hooked up because it has such a good feel to it and have never found an IR receiver of equivalent quality, been using this set since the XBMP days. Only downside is it's a bitch to get working drivers for it these days but thankfully OpenELEC has integrated support.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
That's great, thank you! So, forgive my ignorance; I can just go on eBay, and buy an Xbox DVD remote + dongle and it'll work plug and play, no drivers or backend tomfoolery I need to gently caress with?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

G-Prime posted:

As I recall, when you do an upgrade, Kodi copies your database to a new one, but uses your settings in-place. So if any settings were changed during or after the upgrade, the downgraded version would use those. That said, what you might try is backing up your settings and databases, removing them completely, uninstalling, and doing a fresh install, to see if you can duplicate the problem. For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about a problem like that.

Thanks for the help. Running the 15.2 installer fixed my problem. Don't know if it was my hardware (amd e-350 is getting super old) or some other part of my setup but I'm glad to have my movies back without having to redo all the custom art.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

AOTKPTW posted:

That's great, thank you! So, forgive my ignorance; I can just go on eBay, and buy an Xbox DVD remote + dongle and it'll work plug and play, no drivers or backend tomfoolery I need to gently caress with?

It's not quite plug and play unfortunately, you have to block loading of the old Xbox controller's Linux driver (xpad) and provide button codes and Kodi mappings. While the console used USB for controllers they had weird connectors so you must use an adapter like this that'll cost you around $3 on eBay (this looks OK). I'm starting to get the feeling it's sounding a whole lot less tempting...

Once this is done though it'll just work, so if you're still interested I'll fetch the three required configuration files off of my HTPC and share them with you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

AOTKPTW posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY

this just works for me (in Ubuntu and Fedora e: windows too)

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 3, 2016

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

Keito posted:

It's not quite plug and play unfortunately, you have to block loading of the old Xbox controller's Linux driver (xpad) and provide button codes and Kodi mappings. While the console used USB for controllers they had weird connectors so you must use an adapter like this that'll cost you around $3 on eBay (this looks OK). I'm starting to get the feeling it's sounding a whole lot less tempting...

Once this is done though it'll just work, so if you're still interested I'll fetch the three required configuration files off of my HTPC and share them with you.

I've currently got a 99p bid (I'm from the UK) on an original Xbox remote so if that comes good I'd definitely appreciate your help with the config files and setup.
If the bid doesn't come good I'll probably go with something along the lines of that Ortek remote posted above. On that note, anything with MCE in the name somewhere should be simple plug and play, right?

Edit: Okay so I've won the eBay auction for the original Xbox controller. £4.50 posted, not bad I guess. Is this the cable I'm going to need for the IR receiver? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...5MAAOSwQJhUgYpt

Lastly, I'd super appreciate instructions on how to get this to talk with OpenELEC Kodi. I have pretty much zero Linux/Kodi configuration experience so please bare with me! Thanks for your help so far!

AOTKPTW fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 3, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

All you guys looking for remotes, any reason you don't just use an app on your phone? I've been using the kodi remote app on my iPhone for years and to control all 3 kodi boxes in my house and it works great. In remote mode it looks like this

Then you can also use it to browse just like the movies/tv show menus

I even have it setup on my wife's phone so if I'm not home she can watch whatever. Works over wifi and hey, you'll probably never loose this remote. :)

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Having to pull out your phone and turn on the screen to play/pause/FF/RW is cumbersome compared to a dedicated remote with physical buttons.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My one remote controls my TV, receiver, and Kodi. Using my phone would just add a second device I don't need.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mattfl posted:

All you guys looking for remotes, any reason you don't just use an app on your phone?

It's very difficult to use a phone or a tablet without looking at it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't want to have to give my child my phone so that she can watch TV.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't want to have to give my child my phone so that she can watch TV.

Is it too late to abort?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

AOTKPTW posted:

I've currently got a 99p bid (I'm from the UK) on an original Xbox remote so if that comes good I'd definitely appreciate your help with the config files and setup.
If the bid doesn't come good I'll probably go with something along the lines of that Ortek remote posted above. On that note, anything with MCE in the name somewhere should be simple plug and play, right?

Edit: Okay so I've won the eBay auction for the original Xbox controller. £4.50 posted, not bad I guess. Is this the cable I'm going to need for the IR receiver? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...5MAAOSwQJhUgYpt

Lastly, I'd super appreciate instructions on how to get this to talk with OpenELEC Kodi. I have pretty much zero Linux/Kodi configuration experience so please bare with me! Thanks for your help so far!

Ok cool! You do not want that adapter though, that one looks to be for connecting USB devices to the Xbox console. You wanna go the other way around.

I tried search ebay.co.uk for adapters from sellers located within the UK but couldn't find any so you might have to put up with getting it shipped in from abroad. Something like this one I guess. It has to be a connector for the Xbox controller that goes over to a regular male USB plug, not female on that end.

As for the configuration, if you login with SSH on your OpenELEC box and copypaste the following line:
wget -O xboxremote.zip https://a.pomf.cat/dmlfws.zip && unzip xboxremote.zip
followed by rebooting your system once, the remote should be fully operational.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

All you guys looking for remotes, any reason you don't just use an app on your phone? I've been using the kodi remote app on my iPhone for years and to control all 3 kodi boxes in my house and it works great. In remote mode it looks like this

I even have it setup on my wife's phone so if I'm not home she can watch whatever. Works over wifi and hey, you'll probably never loose this remote. :)

It's difficult to build muscle memory with an app remote and it just makes it more cumbersome to do everything. The only reason I ever use Yatse is to type into a search box.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm a fan of the Harmony Hub. Use whatever phone/tablet/physical harmony remote to talk to almost anything over IR/Bluetooth/wireless USB receiver.

It works well us because we constantly misplaced remotes but always have some sort of device on us. Not to mention the scripting to turn on everything at once and on the right inputs.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Gunslinger posted:

It's difficult to build muscle memory with an app remote and it just makes it more cumbersome to do everything. The only reason I ever use Yatse is to type into a search box.

It's not even just muscle memory, the remote buttons have different shapes so you can feel exactly what button your thumb is hovering over even if your grip is a little of from the usual. There's no physical feedback from a phone screen so you can't really considerably use them as remotes without looking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I need help with smart playlists. I have had an HTPC (running Windows) in my living room for a few years. This week I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 (check out the case I made for it) to add dedicated Kodi hardware to my bedroom's TV, instead of using my desktop system. I'm very happy with it; this gives me the best NHL.tv experience I have ever seen, be it game consoles or PC browsers.

While setting up this Kodi installation, I found that one of my all-time favorite plugins, PseudoTV, is not only still being worked on, but has been greatly expanded. I've got it running on the Pi and it works well. I've got one problem, though. I want to make a Looney Tunes channel. My HTPC has every single Looney Tunes short. They've never been in the library of my HTPC, though, because my collection simply isn't built for it, and I've never had a need to have it in the library to begin with. So I build a smart playlist that just pointed to its path on the disk. I now want to do the same thing on the Pi, yet I've discovered that smart playlists don' seem to work with SMB paths. I've verified that the path syntax should be correct. If you edit the playlist inside the Kodi GUI, you'll find it has no functionality for adding SMB paths anyways.

What can I do? PseudoTV Live can do channels based on directories, but it too is only for local, not SMB. Everything else for local content is library-based. I thought maybe I could find a way to reference an .m3u playlist, but PseudoTV only wants to work with .xsp, and I can't find a way to reference an .m3u from inside a Smart Playlist.