Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

I want to buy this game, but I'm a little concerned about some reviews of grindiness and a brutal RNG. I enjoy and have enjoyed games like Crawl, ToME, and other roguelikes with permadeath so the whimsical fuckery of an RNG doesn't bother me much, but if its constant and terrible that is kind of a downer.

The RNG can gently caress you over, but generally if you get hosed by the RNG, it's because you were being incautious. There's almost no penalty to running away/aborting missions in this game, so if you take it slowly and carefully, losses won't be severe. It can be kinda grindy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Someone should buy that for abardam.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
grindy is definitely a problem with this game, but one that the developers have acknowledged and are actively working to fix

RNG can sorta kinda theoretically be a problem in this game but it is controllable to the point where generally if something bad happens it was your fault

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Thank you.

Crasical posted:

Someone should buy that for abardam.

What's the best Miron joke we got out of this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blooming Brilliant posted:

What's the best Miron joke we got out of this?

Nakar posted:

Miron so fat when he walks in the hallways the dungeon gets stressed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ah okay, a expansion was actually confirmed by Chris Bourassa in an interview. They have this idea about a more pure "roguelike" mod where you just keep going till you can't anymore, which would allow stuff like daily dungeons, not so much new classes and stuff. This would be towards the end of the year, after introducing Town Events, finishing the console ports and finishing fixing the grind.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Wait, did you actually beat her with just the Leper?"

"Yeah, 82 turns"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait, Leper has something that can hit the 3rd/4th row?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes, it's called chewing through the 1st/2nd row until there is no 3rd/4th row

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tried the antiquarian, at long last. Took her on a long scout haul that I did have to abandon close to the end, but I got a Sun Cloak (+prot/dodge as long as light above 70%, +20 stress rec) and an eldritch slaying ring out of the deal - and I gotta say, just spamming Invigorating Vapours really work well for party defense. She's not my first choice, naturally, but Vapours, Protect Me! and sniping wounded opposition is nowhere near as shabby a combo as I had feared.

Tollymain posted:

yes, it's called chewing through the 1st/2nd row until there is no 3rd/4th row

This works, hew suckas erry day

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anybody tried modding lepers' revenge to have an advance 1 rider on it

Tias
May 25, 2008

Can someone give me the skinny on Sanitarium upgrades? I'm wondering which tree, if any, to upgrade to increase the chance of several quirks going away at once :getin:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tias posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on Sanitarium upgrades? I'm wondering which tree, if any, to upgrade to increase the chance of several quirks going away at once :getin:

I didn't think you could eliminate multiple quirks in one go, just multiple diseases. (The bottom tree increases the chance of that. I think the top two just decrease the cost.)

Honestly, unless it's poo poo like Kleptomania/Compulsive or the Lol If You Ever Want To Do Damage ones on my heavy hitters, I don't bother with the Sanitarium that much. Most quirks I either live with or throw folks headfirst into some coral, and a camping trip with Doctor Leeches does for any diseases I get.

Tias
May 25, 2008

docbeard posted:

I didn't think you could eliminate multiple quirks in one go, just multiple diseases. (The bottom tree increases the chance of that. I think the top two just decrease the cost.)

Honestly, unless it's poo poo like Kleptomania/Compulsive or the Lol If You Ever Want To Do Damage ones on my heavy hitters, I don't bother with the Sanitarium that much. Most quirks I either live with or throw folks headfirst into some coral, and a camping trip with Doctor Leeches does for any diseases I get.

I'm not sure if it's possible either, thus the "if any". Neither the manual nor the wiki gives any answers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's not possible.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can, however, eliminate a negative quirk and lock in a positive quirk at the same time.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Bought the game, glad I did, it owns.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tias posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible either, thus the "if any". Neither the manual nor the wiki gives any answers.

Increasing the bottom once is useful for dealing with more than one disease at a time, other than that I don't really lock quirks and I only remove Kleptomaniac and a few others so I leave the Sanitarium for last.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i lock in Kleptomaniac

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
#1 Sanitarium upgrade priority is to lower costs. More slots for curing diseases is OK but not necessary.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i lock in Kleptomaniac
The real Darkest Dungeon starts here.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I try to dump the quirks that debuff you when the torch is above 75 so I can abuse the solar trinkets even more than I already do. Sun Cloak/Sun Ring 4 lyfe*, yo. 

*Length of lyfe not guaranteed, offer void in Nebraska

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly sanitarium quirk treatments should cause like, 75 stress :getin:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Tollymain posted:

Sanitarium becomes a dungeon, you have to occasionally break heroes out from their "treatments."

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Heroes who are afflicted and are sent to a sanitarium first should have a chance to go completely insane and become madmen you fight :unsmigghh:

Also miron so fat you need four shovels just to get his rear end through one hallway

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Tollymain posted:

That just sounds like more more grinding :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
An abandoned asylum from the last hamlet is a new dungeon!

It contains nothing but madmen though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolwhoami posted:

That just sounds like more more grinding :(

i'd also make quirk treatment cheaper

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tollymain posted:

i'd also make quirk treatment cheaper

So it costs the same in the end but your heroes are out of action for 2 weeks instead of 1?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

An abandoned asylum from the last hamlet is a new dungeon!

It contains nothing but madmen though.

This literally made my face twitch. I hate those annoying gits and their twisted howling :stonk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

So it costs the same in the end but your heroes are out of action for 2 weeks instead of 1?

my ~verisimilitude~

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jokes on you guys for wastIng cash and not just sending afflicted heroes right back in.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

Jokes on you guys for wastIng cash and not just sending afflicted heroes right back in.

It started with just wanting to get rid of annoying quirks, like doing lovely damage below 50% health and those compulsions to dive rear end first onto every eldritch altar they see instead of getting out the holy water - but I've started caring :3:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tias posted:

It started with just wanting to get rid of annoying quirks, like doing lovely damage below 50% health and those compulsions to dive rear end first onto every eldritch altar they see instead of getting out the holy water - but I've started caring :3:

It truly is the capitalism simulator. Get attached to an employee? It's going to cost you through the nose.

Actually if this game was competitive and had a leaderboard for most effecient play/use of gold I would be willing to bet the top 100 players would have fair to extreme sociopathy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I suspect they would be on an entirely different spectrum

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It's week 81: I've got a roster of twenty rank 6 guys at maxed out gear and skills and a poo poo ton of trinket options, including the whole Ancestral set. I've only got eight casualties as well: four died to a hubris apprentice shambler wipe, and four died to being level 0 and sent into the Darkest Dungeon for the achievement and to scout the threats. I've got a handle on this game, I think I can blaze through the Darkest Dungeon pretty easily.

30 minutes later, my entire party is on the brink of death from having heart attacks every turn and I lose my Crusader right before what I assume was the final room, then lose my Vestal abandoning. All because I made the rookie mistake of not bringing someone who could stun/kill the third slot reliably (my Vestal was running Sacred Scroll/Junia's Head), in which there was an rear end in a top hat stress cultist almost every single fight :negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tias posted:

This literally made my face twitch. I hate those annoying gits and their twisted howling :stonk:

madmen just make me think of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_pU2oDnug

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Floodkiller posted:

It's week 81: I've got a roster of twenty rank 6 guys at maxed out gear and skills and a poo poo ton of trinket options, including the whole Ancestral set. I've only got eight casualties as well: four died to a hubris apprentice shambler wipe, and four died to being level 0 and sent into the Darkest Dungeon for the achievement and to scout the threats. I've got a handle on this game, I think I can blaze through the Darkest Dungeon pretty easily.

30 minutes later, my entire party is on the brink of death from having heart attacks every turn and I lose my Crusader right before what I assume was the final room, then lose my Vestal abandoning. All because I made the rookie mistake of not bringing someone who could stun/kill the third slot reliably (my Vestal was running Sacred Scroll/Junia's Head), in which there was an rear end in a top hat stress cultist almost every single fight :negative:

The Darkest Dungeon is kind of frustrating in that it is very difficult with the wrong build, and yet you can't really see what you're going to go up against and then retreat without permanently losing at least one guy. Sure you can send a suicide squad of low-level babies, but they won't actually get far enough to give you reliable result, like how you're going to face those nuclear-powered stress witches over and over and over again.

As you found out, it's very dangerous to equip +stress items in the first Darkest Dungeon mission. The big killers in that mission are bleeds and stress. Also once you get to the Shuffling Horror itself, kill the priest last.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

It truly is the capitalism simulator. Get attached to an employee? It's going to cost you through the nose.

Actually if this game was competitive and had a leaderboard for most effecient play/use of gold I would be willing to bet the top 100 players would have fair to extreme sociopathy.

My issue is giving into anxiety about the coming missions. I get all "surely my jester won't survive if he has MINUS ONE to crits! What if that is my downfall?" :spergin: and then I end up wasting money that could be spent on upgrades or critical stress relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So uhhhhh my experimental Arbalest/Highwayman/Houndmaster/Abomination party didnt go so well :stonk: