Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A hotel in Buenos Aires where Uber drivers' training was being carried out was attacked by local cab drivers. They parked outside the venue and threw rocks at the façade. No photographers were allowed inside the premises out of fear for the potential drivers' wellbeing. More than 6000 people showed interest on driving for Uber in the first 24 hours.

Had I accepted their offer I would've been there training the drivers. I kind of regret not having accepted. But I feel like the danger for the cars and drivers is much more real here that in some of the other cities where they've rolled out before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's wrong with accenture?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

corn in the bible posted:

Even Kurzweil doesn't believe in the basilisk

The what???

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blugu64 posted:

The what???

Something even dumber than the singularity.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's a modern version of Descartes' demon / the brain in a jar argument blended with Pascal's wager, as in the all powerful AI simulating reality for you can and will visit unimaginable torture on you if it is not obeyed unquestioningly. Since there's no way to guarantee you're not a simulation, you should always obey AI! Also the AI could be simulating a pre-AI world, and if you don't devote all your (simulated) energies to bringing about AI? Torture.

I think there's another even dumber layer where you posit that the AI is simulating billions of yous, so the chance that you're not a simulation is billions to one because that's how probability works. As a thought experiment it's pretty interesting because it completely paralyses people who are a very particular type of stupid.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 29, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Party Boat posted:

As a thought experiment it's pretty interesting because it completely paralyses people who are a very particular type of stupid.
Is that why it's called the basilisk?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is that why it's called the basilisk?

No, it's called the basilisk because once you know about it you are susceptible to it.
It's really loving dumb. There used to be a whole thread devoted to mocking Yudkowsky somewhere but I can't find it right now.
e: Looks like it's gotten archived

Moatman fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 29, 2016

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that bit, by describing it I've doomed you all. Have fun submitting to our theoretical AI overlord!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that bit, by describing it I've doomed you all. Have fun submitting to our theoretical AI overlord!

Oh so it's the Singularity version of The Game.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is this actually a thing IRL? I've never met a person in Unicornland or outside that subscribes to Singularity BS.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

blowfish posted:

Probably a small but significant minority among the people who want to ~change the world~ with ~tech~ instead of seeing it as a well paying job. Basically look at the corporate donors list of the singularity university/miri, look up which big SV company guys have made noises about the impending singularity and/or AI uprising (this includes people like Elon Musk).

There may or may not be AI advanced enough that everyone considers it strong, but I'd be surprised if the people currently ripping off google/spacex/whatever for funbux will be more than a footnote given that they're mostly worshipping at the feet of self-described technomessiah (read: nut) Elizer Yudkowsky.

Oh, god, not the Yud.

gently caress that guy with a rake.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Well this thread took a turn for the uh, something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
The most charitable thing one could say about Yudkowsky is that he seems to be able to compartmentalise the insane parts of his thought process away from the less insane parts, so that he could in principle do actual work. The corollary is that he rarely seems inclined to do actual work beyond the minimal effort to sound deep and impress richer or actually working people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

blowfish posted:

The most charitable thing one could say about Yudkowsky is that he seems to be able to compartmentalise the insane parts of his thought process away from the less insane parts, so that he could in principle do actual work. The corollary is that he rarely seems inclined to do actual work beyond the minimal effort to sound deep and impress richer or actually working people.

He has also accomplished more Harry Potter fanfiction than AI research that is of any use.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

He has also accomplished more Harry Potter fanfiction than AI research that is of any use.

Oh yes that thing. It started out fun as a "what if" then went off the deep end as his magnum opus on how Misunderstood Bayesianism Is #1 !!!!111!!11!!!, and is now probably longer than the holy bible.

And he claims that one of the chicks in his 4 way relationship got attracted to him by neckbearded fanfiction :laugh:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Ccs posted:

Is there really a good chance that by 2045 we'll have human or beyond human-level AI?

Depends. Are you a cultist? If you are we'll definitely have an AI that will save us from death, (the actual goal of all Singultarians) otherwise ahahahaha no.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I can't remember if I first saw it linked in this thread or elsewhere, but Maciej Ceglowski deals with this pretty well - basically when you see a technology explode from nothing into something that defines your world (whether that's air travel or the internet) it's tempting, and usually incorrect, to assume that same rate of progression into the future. There's a reason every 1950s vision of 2000 had us with moon cities and flying cars.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Party Boat posted:

I can't remember if I first saw it linked in this thread or elsewhere, but Maciej Ceglowski deals with this pretty well - basically when you see a technology explode from nothing into something that defines your world (whether that's air travel or the internet) it's tempting, and usually incorrect, to assume that same rate of progression into the future. There's a reason every 1950s vision of 2000 had us with moon cities and flying cars.

I am personally offended by not being able to fly at Mach 3 from Frankfurt to London though :colbert:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just throwing out My Year in StartUp Hell

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DOOP posted:

I knew I should have majored in CompSci

Stupid chemistry degree

Ehh, you can still break in. On my last project Accenture hired a bunch of random "smart" people with non-related IT degrees and just trained them on site. My company had a junior dev (with a CS degree) leading them on it and all in all it worked pretty well. Accenture got a decent developer at below market rate along with a couple of people getting their foot in the door in a completely different field.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently there's a wifi wine bottle startup.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Accenture and dev seem like an odd mix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently there's a wifi wine bottle startup.

Pretty far from being a unicorn though, no?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

A hotel in Buenos Aires where Uber drivers' training was being carried out was attacked by local cab drivers. They parked outside the venue and threw rocks at the façade. No photographers were allowed inside the premises out of fear for the potential drivers' wellbeing. More than 6000 people showed interest on driving for Uber in the first 24 hours.

Had I accepted their offer I would've been there training the drivers. I kind of regret not having accepted. But I feel like the danger for the cars and drivers is much more real here that in some of the other cities where they've rolled out before.

Uber is not a tech company. They are a jitney dispatch service.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In America it isn't about enjoying anything it's about having it. If I have a Benz and a $600,000 house while you have a Toyota and live in an apartment I am better than you. That's all that matters; if I need to work 80 hours a week all year every year to get that then it Is Worth It because it means I'm better than most Americans.

Granted I'm probably also miserable and have an addiction to feed because of the stress but thems the breaks.

Relevant: Executive Quits Fast Track to Spend More Time With Possessions

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

I am personally offended by not being able to fly at Mach 3 from Frankfurt to London though :colbert:

We tried that, it turns out debris on a runway is a catastrophic failure.

shrike82 posted:

Is this actually a thing IRL? I've never met a person in Unicornland or outside that subscribes to Singularity BS.

It's surprisingly high in supposed "rational" circles of academia (the hard sciences).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's wrong with accenture?

Serious trouble retaining talent, falling status (seen as third-rate by a lot of people). The number of people I've met who are former Accenture people who got out because they saw the ship sinking is immense.

Don't they also have a completely messed up partnership structure where you're forced to retire but don't have to sell your shares thus forcing new partners to buy at over-inflated rates? Or are they the consulting company that's publicly owned...which is another terrible idea.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I read that and I still have no idea what HubSpot does or why it has so much funding. I do know that people who are fired actually just graduated from the company though.

quote:

Dharmesh’s culture code incorporates elements of HubSpeak. For example, it instructs that when someone quits or gets fired, the event will be referred to as “graduation.” In my first month at HubSpot I’ve witnessed several graduations, just in the marketing department. We’ll get an email from Cranium saying, “Team, just letting you know that Derek has graduated from HubSpot, and we’re excited to see how he uses his superpowers in his next big adventure!” Only then do you notice that Derek is gone, that his desk has been cleared out. Somehow Derek’s boss will have arranged his disappearance without anyone knowing about it. People just go up in smoke, like Spinal Tap drummers.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

nachos posted:

I read that and I still have no idea what HubSpot does or why it has so much funding. I do know that people who are fired actually just graduated from the company though.
Oh please, familiarize yourself with their "culture":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknnd-pkQ8A

And bonus round - "When did you feel part of the inbound movement":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzzEOWFj9k

The show Silicon Valley is downright boring and reasonable compared to this poo poo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

nachos posted:

From what I can tell, it's just email/online marketing, although they try to aim it at getting people to blog, vlog, etc. about your company instead of regular advertising. Of course they wrap this pretty mundane stuff in some weird cult like atmosphere to make everyone feel really good about being a bunch of ad men and women.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

nachos posted:

I don't quite get why he seems so baffled by that phrasing. "Graduated"/"graduated to customer"/"promoted to customer" are all things I've heard well outside the startup world. Hell, a local arts nonprofit I volunteer with uses that when people decide to step down.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like corporate euphimism is so transparent it just reduces morale even more but that's a topic for another thread

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh please, familiarize yourself with their "culture":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknnd-pkQ8A

And bonus round - "When did you feel part of the inbound movement":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzzEOWFj9k

The show Silicon Valley is downright boring and reasonable compared to this poo poo.

Author of the article is a staff writer for the show.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hughlander posted:

Author of the article is a staff writer for the show.
That's why I mentioned the show :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

From what I can tell, it's just email/online marketing, although they try to aim it at getting people to blog, vlog, etc. about your company instead of regular advertising. Of course they wrap this pretty mundane stuff in some weird cult like atmosphere to make everyone feel really good about being a bunch of ad men and women.

The technical term is "marketing automation." The core function is email automation (barely-solicited spam) while the umbrella term for the rest of what you mention is called "content marketing" - the ecosystem amounts to you writing poo poo that people read to get their email so you can send them emails.

They've been losing a lot of ground to Marketo, which does the same poo poo but without the weird cult poo poo that appears stolen from the Zappos playbook for no good reason.

I'm in digital marketing at a failing startup so this thread is basically about my existence.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Most Googlers and ex-Googlers can tell you stories about having the best person they ever worked with insulted in interviews, then rejected.
For non-phenoms there is definitely more of this in tech than in other fields. I am a very-non-phenom and interviewed with a guy at an educational software company. He wanted me to talk about hermeneutics in the context of facilitating and measuring skill acquisition and it wasn't just a "let's see what happens when we kick the candidate's tires with this", he had a lot of thoughts on the matter and wanted to hear mine. In another interview I had a very uncomfortable realization that I rely A LOT on stack overflow etc. when I use SQL as I started to struggle with what I bet were their easier questions. Missed out on both of those jobs, though I would have been reporting to hermeneutics guy and he seemed like an rear end.

edit: didn't complete my thought, but basically: you can choke in interviews for jobs with other skill sets of course but it's often less based on a stress-test of your skill set or what they're considering to be your skill set.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 29, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You know the correct answer to "What order is a bubble sort?" "Nobody sane ever uses bubble sorts, and if I had gone around the bend and suddenly wanted one, I'd go look it up in Knuth."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You know the correct answer to "What order is a bubble sort?" "Nobody sane ever uses bubble sorts, and if I had gone around the bend and suddenly wanted one, I'd go look it up in Knuth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RRi_ntQc8

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Vanity Fair interviewed VC Chamath Palihapitiya, who had a lot of fun things to say.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/03/chamath-palihapitiya-interview-says-start-ups-are-mostly-crap

quote:

The reality is, great companies can go public in any market. When we talk about the I.P.O. slowdowns what we’re really saying is that there really just aren’t that many good companies being built. We need to divorce ourselves from venture capital as an occupation and focus on using capital as a way to take really big bets on things that just seem totally audacious. Right now we haven’t done enough of that, and the result is that most of the things we’ve funded are mostly crap and largely worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sure, if you don't care whether your SWEs can do basic math or not. The time (and space) complexity of bubble sort is incredibly basic and most reasonably strong candidates should be able to figure it out in a few minutes on a whiteboard.