Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Have the ONDP been in the news for anything since the last election? I don't recall hearing about one new policy plank or proposal or anything from them since 2014 but I feel like the media lets us know every time Patrick Brown farts.

God the ONDP sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Appears as though former MP Jean Lapierre and his family were on a plane that crashed this morning. No word on whether they're okay.

Not a great few weeks to be a Canadian politician.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are there any morbidly obese women in the ONDP that could be appointed health minister

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

Have the ONDP been in the news for anything since the last election? I don't recall hearing about one new policy plank or proposal or anything from them since 2014 but I feel like the media lets us know every time Patrick Brown farts.

God the ONDP sucks.

They've been campaigning hard against the hydro one sale, http://youpaytheprice.ca/ but yeah I don't think the media would report on Horwath if she lit herself on fire.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

brucio posted:

Have the BCNDP been in the news for anything since the last election? I don't recall hearing about one new policy plank or proposal or anything from them since 2014 2013 but I feel like the media lets us know every time Patrick Brown Petronas farts.

God the BCNDP sucks.

You could probably do the same thing with Saskatchewan too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

St. Dogbert posted:

Appears as though former MP Jean Lapierre and his family were on a plane that crashed this morning. No word on whether they're okay.

Not a great few weeks to be a Canadian politician.

I've heard unconfirmed reports that he was on it. Ironically, he was the minister of Transport at one time. I'm waiting to get confirmation myself here.

EDIT: It has been confirmed. RIP.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzTNrF8ADk8

:allears:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think his flow is even worse

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

this is the worst rap battle

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is a good argument for kicking Alberta out of confederation

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

He probably won't be out in three, that's not generally how we do prison sentences.

I am glad of the driving ban.

He was sentenced to 10 years, less time served. He will be eligible for parole (which he will probably get unless he loses his mind in prison) after one third of his sentence. Hence, he will be out in three.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 9, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'd rather the guy have to spend less time in prison and have to spend one day a week for the rest of his life talking to kids taking Drivers Ed about the consequences of drunk driving.

And ya, lifetime driving ban. gently caress you, ride the bus.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lmbo

http://www.intensions.co/news/2016/3/29/intensions-future-of-work

quote:

The study, which surveyed 2299 adults across Canada, found that a quarter (26%) of Canadian adults believe an unbiased computer program would be more trustworthy and ethical than their workplace leaders and managers. Among younger adults (those aged 20-39) that number was significantly higher, with 31% agreeing that an unbiased computer program would be more trustworthy and ethical than their workplace leaders and managers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Unbiased? So, completely random then?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Seriously how do people end up this stupid

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Seriously how do people end up this stupid

The Internet makes you stupid.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This unbiased program will be named, entirely without irony, Skynet and will in fact be a cloud-computing OS which really does come to loathe us all.

"So uh, the Box has issued more departmental transfers. Everyone from accounting is being transferred to labour camp seven for liquidation. I know, I know, that's the second team this week, but the Box is unbiased and uncorruptable. Unlike Jeremy, our previous boss, Box rest him. So just accept your new positions as slurry, guys, because it's for the best. Math has spoken."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That was my reaction too.

On the other hand random might actually do better than 30% of managers out there so who knows.

There are a lot of people in management positions who have no business being in those positions.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

This is true for stock picks. Wouldn't be surprised if this is true for a lot of corporate decision making.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Where do people think computer programs come from? Such a program will always have the biases and flaws of its creators.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Where do people think computer programs come from? Such a program will always have the biases and flaws of its creators.

Or, more importantly, what do they think bias is?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

Or, more importantly, what do they think bias is?

Oh, that's easy. They believe that their perception of the world is inarguably correct, so any deviation from the decision they would make must be due to bias or stupidity on the part of the decision-maker.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eh, assuming a hypothetical (likely impossible) scenario for the purposes of a survey doesn't make someone an idiot. You ask me stupid questions that posit impossible conditions I'll follow your instructions and you'll end up with stupid answers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Management is just a ballpit where well connected people go who have intellectually checked out of their job due to family/kids/whatever but who are too young/poor to retire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

shrike82 posted:

This is true for stock picks. Wouldn't be surprised if this is true for a lot of corporate decision making.

Indeed, it takes really good corporate decision making to even beat coin flip odds. I was surprised at how open to that some of our executive team were.

But to whoever came up with that question, good loving luck building an unbiased computer.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Management is just a ballpit where well connected people go who have intellectually checked out of their job due to family/kids/whatever but who are too young/poor to retire.

Lol

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

From a strictly utilitarian point of view, I should like to think that a theoretical superintelligent AI would be able to better run government than a squabbling bunch of humans.

But that's only assuming we manage to put together a superintelligent AI without accidentally (or willingly) creating Skynet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
smh employing computers to solve a problem that can be done with euthanasia

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

From a strictly utilitarian point of view, I should like to think that a theoretical superintelligent AI would be able to better run government than a squabbling bunch of humans.

But that's only assuming we manage to put together a superintelligent AI without accidentally (or willingly) creating Skynet.

Tay was only the beginning...

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

even really basic steps towards, say, hiring equity, such as "strip identifying information from job applications" are almost never adopted by companies. on that sort of basis I'd expect a computer to do waaaaay better than people up to a certain point, yeah

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe all you AI fetishists should set up an office in still Creek next to dwave and general fusion, just down the street from Ballard lmao

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
AI fetishists or thought leaders lol

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

An unbiased AI would be the most effective and most charismatic leader in BCNDP history.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chicken posted:

An unbiased AI would be the most effective and most charismatic leader in BCNDP history.

I'm 90% sure Cleverbot would have performed better in the last Ontario election than Tim Hudak.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha I can't believe you dumb fucks in Toronto are letting Rob Ford lie in state.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I too put my garbage out by the curb a few days too early, but usually I don't have thousands of people wanting to be seen standing in front of it. What gives?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I feel like an enforced reverence for Ford is what we as Canadians deserve.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I bet you couldn't even get a BLMTO occupier to really give a poo poo about what they do with Ford's body. Thousands of people are lining up for cred at the last FordFest. The family has no legacy. He won't even reign as the crack smoking mayor. He's going to be buried and forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Chair In A Basket posted:

Sometimes I too put my garbage out by the curb a few days too early, but usually I don't have thousands of people wanting to be seen standing in front of it. What gives?

Unlike garbage, I'm sure the embalming process has ensured he smells better in death than he likely ever did in life.