Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

homullus posted:

Demeter is adorable and Aphrodite looks like Natalie Dormer. Does feel weird to pay extra to have the game on a plastic cliff with no gameplay use, but I guess you'll be the only kid on your block with a game on a plastic cliff.

Nice components can really draw me into an experience so I'm actually okay with the board presentation making the whole project cost a little bit more.

Unsurprisingly I have a tough time playing average euro games that are theme-light. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe not calling it OTAKU HOUSE would be a good first step.

Look, they have to make back the 2 million dollars by the end of the semester or the dean will never remove them from double gaijin probation.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 30, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Double Gaijin Probation" is the name of my j-pop cover band.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Kinda want to kickstart a gym where fledgling nerds can workout under good instruction for like a solid hour, then everyone can rest after and sip protein shakes while gaming.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Fenarisk posted:

Kinda want to kickstart a gym where fledgling nerds can workout under good instruction for like a solid hour, then everyone can rest after and sip protein shakes while gaming.

Well we do have Forteza Fitness, but I think the protein shakes are more typically beers and the gaming is a side effect of it being entirely populated by nerds.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
They're just trying to kick start a ymca but without a shower

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I've heard that Japanese TTRPGers often rent out the private party rooms in karaoke clubs, which always struck me as more or less ideal (or at least the best you're going to get). You've got a private place, nice table. food and drink on order. Relatively cheap prices.

That sort of set-up would be basically untenable if the business catered exclusively to gamers, but since the main income is from karaoke you don't have to worry about whether there's enough nerds in your area to keep the business afloat.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm not sure they needed to combine every geek social fallacy into one kickstarter, but there you go.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure they needed to combine every geek social fallacy into one kickstarter, but there you go.

Can't believe this was written only 13 years ago. It feels like 17.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

oriongates posted:

I've heard that Japanese TTRPGers often rent out the private party rooms in karaoke clubs, which always struck me as more or less ideal (or at least the best you're going to get). You've got a private place, nice table. food and drink on order. Relatively cheap prices.

That sort of set-up would be basically untenable if the business catered exclusively to gamers, but since the main income is from karaoke you don't have to worry about whether there's enough nerds in your area to keep the business afloat.

Not only that, you can be loud as gently caress and since it's a Karaoke place, no one will give a poo poo since the room next door might be twice as loud because they're actually singing.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kai Tave posted:

$160 to $320 to rent a private room for four hours? Noooooo thanks.

Man that's expensive. My rpg society tends to rent out function rooms from pubs, and that comes to like £30 for a room big enough for 50 larpers / 6 different tabletops and board games for an entire evening.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Flavivirus posted:

Man that's expensive. My rpg society tends to rent out function rooms from pubs, and that comes to like £30 for a room big enough for 50 larpers / 6 different tabletops and board games for an entire evening.

I mean, these are fancy private rooms. One is made up to look like a speakeasy, one looks like this big fancy private library, etc. I suppose the idea is you're paying for The Experience, plus you can have food brought to you (which you're paying for, of course), but it all just seems like conspicuous consumption for conspicuous consumption's sake to me. I don't mind paying money for nice things, but over $300 to spend four hours playing games in someone's faux-speakeasy room is like, I could do that orrrrr I could buy like five good brand new boardgames and $50 worth of drinks and food and play at someone's house or an FLGS that doesn't charge for tablespace.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Unknown Armies KS is live, and while I'll back it, the look of the books does not thrill me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Welp, I'm in for a hundred. :v:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EverettLO posted:

Unknown Armies KS is live, and while I'll back it, the look of the books does not thrill me.

The interiors look exactly the same as the old book, which is both good and bad to me. It's got a nostalgic appeal but I think I'd prefer a bit of a more modern font.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Goddamn it there goes my entire discretionary spending budget for April.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new adept schools are...interesting. I haven't seen any of the old ones, but there are schools based around guns, cameras, film cliches, subcultures, clothing, and reinforcing humanity's domination over nature.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

The new adept schools are...interesting. I haven't seen any of the old ones, but there are schools based around guns, cameras, film cliches, subcultures, clothing, and reinforcing humanity's domination over nature.

Is it all new schools or do they bring the old ones (well, some of them) back as well? Some of the old schools like Videomancy, based around obsessively watching every single scheduled broadcast episode of your chosen show, are ripe for overhauls in the year 2016.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Is it all new schools or do they bring the old ones (well, some of them) back as well? Some of the old schools like Videomancy, based around obsessively watching every single scheduled broadcast episode of your chosen show, are ripe for overhauls in the year 2016.

As near as I can tell, it's all new schools.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Evil Mastermind posted:

As near as I can tell, it's all new schools.

Yeah, it's all new schools. Some of them seem like natural extensions of old ones - for example Cinemancy seems to have taken the Videomancy slot with a more feasible taboo (though it makes them effectively :tvtropes:) and spells similarly designed to evoke movie tropes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, god. I'm having a horrible nightmare of Cinemancers wearing fedoras and quoting Bogart as the fishmalk of this generation.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Was going to back but then printed plus shipping was $165 so instead I'm not backing. Yay...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Little_wh0re posted:

Was going to back but then printed plus shipping was $165 so instead I'm not backing. Yay...

Digital tier is $55 and gets you everything plus stretch goals and the entire Unknown Armies back catalog in pdf. If people are going gaga over 7th Sea for shoveling tons of lovely sourcebooks for a not-that-great game at them and considering that value for money, $55 for every UA book ever made plus the new edition ought to be the deal of the century.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I can't stand reading pdfs. Dead tree or nothing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Find the right pub and they'll let you have the function room for free as long as you hit a relatively low minimum spend on drinks and food and they don't have people trying to hire the function room that day. Just keeps the money ticking over and has people in there who will more or less behave themselves and won't trash the place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

EverettLO posted:

God drat. 100 dollars for the print edition?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I backed anyway because I really love me some Unknown Armies, but holy hell that shipping to Canada was a tough pill to swallow, at least combined with the $100 dead tree price tag.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Kai Tave posted:

Digital tier is $55 and gets you everything plus stretch goals and the entire Unknown Armies back catalog in pdf. If people are going gaga over 7th Sea for shoveling tons of lovely sourcebooks for a not-that-great game at them and considering that value for money, $55 for every UA book ever made plus the new edition ought to be the deal of the century.

Yeah, but 7th Sea was $60 for all the pdfs and the print. This is $125. Slightly harder to swallow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Counterpoint: Unknown Armies is the better and more interesting game.
but the game you're less likely to actually play

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thegodofchuck posted:

Yeah, but 7th Sea was $60 for all the pdfs and the print. This is $125. Slightly harder to swallow.

Sure, but it's worth pointing out that you're also getting three print books at once instead of one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hopefully UA will get one of those "we found a distributor in Europe so shipping is cheaper there now" deals like 7th Sea did. Those shipping rates are exorbitant, it was only 5 bucks in the US.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The main thing missing with this is a "Physical book 1 + all PDFs" goal that's between Super digital and Checker.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I know nothing about Unknown Armies, but I Would Like To Know More.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

If you can track down an old Sci-Fi original miniseries called The Lost Room, that show is basically UA.mov

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/oriongates/unknown-armies/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Noice. Thanks guys!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

If you can track down an old Sci-Fi original miniseries called The Lost Room, that show is basically UA.mov

God I loved the Lost Room and I'm so pissed there isn't more of it. But yeah, it's the perfect Unknown Armies show.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

unseenlibrarian posted:

The main thing missing with this is a "Physical book 1 + all PDFs" goal that's between Super digital and Checker.

You should be able to just do 'All PDFs' and then +book one ($30) as an add-on, they're almost certainly going to use backerkit so it will be easy to sort out.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Kai Tave posted:

Never seen this (though now I'm interested), but John Dies at the End and Weirdsville both struck me as very UA-esque movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Well, Kult has finished its KickStarter with kr2,746,655 ($337,972.88 US) pledged. Despite the lukewarm interview linked earlier I'm actually kinda looking forward to it releasing. As a concept I find the cosmology of Kult fascinating, but the rules weren't all that great. Here's hoping the new edition is written well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1037361623/kult-divinity-lost-horror-roleplaying-game-rpg/description

And what do you know? WTF, D&D!? reviewed Kult some time ago too. http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/kult-skeleton-horror/1/

• Locked thread