Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

ZoeDomingo posted:

Does the heavy traffic ban prevent deliveries to commercial areas? When I hover over that policy, the little popup seems to indicate that's the case, but if not, then thanks for that suggestion, CroatianAlzheimers!

Also, thanks for your suggestion, Count Roland. While I doubt it would ultimately help, I admire your style. :)

As far as I know the regular commercial delivery vans still work in heavy traffic ban areas. It only keeps the industrial tractor-trailers from passing through. That makes it handy for managing industrial traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Supraluminal posted:

As far as I know the regular commercial delivery vans still work in heavy traffic ban areas. It only keeps the industrial tractor-trailers from passing through. That makes it handy for managing industrial traffic.

This is correct. It's totally fine to put heavy traffic ban on a commercial district, since it only stops the big semi trucks. For the same reason, though, it doesn't really help that much with traffic since you still get a shitload of delivery vans.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I really like this fellow's workshop. He's going through and updating a bunch of old pre-after-dark nice but common-looking growable buildings so they have night lights, good LODs and come down to about 2 megs in footprint. Give those office blocks and commercial high-rises a bit more variety without things that look out of place.

I always loved a good generic soul-eating office building.

Zed's basically my idol and the awesome stuff he started to pull off last year has become the cornerstone of my own assetbuilding efforts.

Basically the guy was the first one to figure out how you can have pretty nightlights - by treating the lightmap as something that can show actual details instead of the horrendous discofloor effects of the vanilla buildings. He also figured out how to get colored windows which aren't fully reflective so we can now do things with grime, or stuff that looks like it's peeking out from behind (like the blinds on my modernist offices). The latter is his biggest contribution IMO, but it requires people to basically make two different facades for their big towers: one partially transparent overlay which masks all the reflectivity errors of C:S' Unity fork, and behind it a wall/window geometry which can have all kinds of neat details without producing visible texturing artifacts because of the mask. Folks who make way better assets than I do (like BoldlyBuilding with his WTC and Empire State Building totemic stuff) started asking questions about this to me even, and I only stole the technique from this French dude.

Anyway, some of the Eurobuilders are thinking of organizing some kind of get-together, so I might high-five this fine human specimen of videogames customization, but I'm not sure I want to irl speak to internet people again after the Dutch goonmeet of 2004 :xd:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ZoeDomingo posted:

Does the heavy traffic ban prevent deliveries to commercial areas? When I hover over that policy, the little popup seems to indicate that's the case, but if not, then thanks for that suggestion, CroatianAlzheimers!

Also, thanks for your suggestion, Count Roland. While I doubt it would ultimately help, I admire your style. :)

No, it doesn't. Heavy travel ban just bans heavy tractor-trailer type trucks from specific districts. Straight trucks and vans can still make deliveries because they're not considered "heavy".

E: Welp, beaten like a red-headed mule.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Also if there isn't a reasonable route to the main highway they will still go via small streets to get to it, even with heavy traffic ban

I usually go for a well connected but distant heavy industry sector, seems to work

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't played the latest update yet, but I would say at least 30% of my industrial cargo travels via train now. Maybe even 60%. I also stuck a cargo train yard in the center of my commercial district which has cut down on traffic in and out of my cities on the highway substantially, as delivery vans just pick it up a couple of blocks from where it needs to go.

The only thing I can think of about cargo trains is that they need to be part of your industrial plan, no more than a city block from the heart of the industrial center. And then it takes a while for new stuff to be made that's slated to be shipped via train. Once the process takes hold most highway traffic for me just disappears and then it's time to upgrade to high density commercial and residential to take advantage of the now-empty streets.

fake edit ^^ yeah my heavy industry is sort of disconnected from the rest of the city, usually near the powerplant but with it's own dedicated highway connections and no direct surface street connections to the rest of the city. It may be that rail is weighted more heavily than surface streets in that situation

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Local cargo seems to have the same sort of internal levers as public transport: it helps if it actually is shorter based on speed limits and distances, but there's still a preference factor that multiplies the final result to sway it. Except there are no policies that straight up adjust the preference factor like public transport policies can.

All the same though I've had some pretty far out local rail paths and industry still saturates all but the most idiotic stations to the point that it can keep vomiting out or sucking in trucks constantly.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How often does industrial traffic need to move to other industrial zones?

I'm thinking now of designing from scratch an industrial zone with no road links to the outside, only rail and ports.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Count Roland posted:

How often does industrial traffic need to move to other industrial zones?

I'm thinking now of designing from scratch an industrial zone with no road links to the outside, only rail and ports.

Depends on whether or not you use specialized industry: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Supply_chain

If all you have is generic industry there is no intra-industrial traffic, only imported processed materials getting turned into finished goods for commercial use or export.

If you have specialized industry it will move raw materials to processors and then processed materials to generic industry.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there a mod that allows me to unlock all 25 squares right off the bat without using the unlock all "cheat"? Strange request I'm aware.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a mod that allows me to unlock all 25 squares right off the bat without using the unlock all "cheat"? Strange request I'm aware.

There is.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425057208&searchtext=

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
So I'm a big fan of The Motherland Calls and other giant statues. Does anyone know why exactly there aren't more monumental sculptures available? Is it the triangles? I've heard something about triangles.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

Depends on whether or not you use specialized industry: http://www.skylineswiki.com/Supply_chain

If all you have is generic industry there is no intra-industrial traffic, only imported processed materials getting turned into finished goods for commercial use or export.

If you have specialized industry it will move raw materials to processors and then processed materials to generic industry.

Thanks.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

...The only thing I can think of about cargo trains is that they need to be part of your industrial plan, no more than a city block from the heart of the industrial center...

That may be the issue; one of the cargo stations I built is quite a bit further from its industrial area than that; I noticed earlier that a lot of the trucks on the highway were going to or from that industrial area. I'll try moving it closer and see if that helps.

Thanks, folks!

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 30, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there a way to automatically unsubscribe from everything on the Steam Workshop? I reinstalled this after a few months and whatever combination of mods I had made it all crashy. I want to start over with a clean collection.

Also, any good maps where you start building on an island? I've always liked that constraint and you can make some pretty waterfronts.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fasdar posted:

So I'm a big fan of The Motherland Calls and other giant statues. Does anyone know why exactly there aren't more monumental sculptures available? Is it the triangles? I've heard something about triangles.

It takes more tris and such to make them look good, but they're doable. It's much easier and much quicker to model buildings than organic figures, though.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I made my first poop drainage hydropower system in a secluded bay and I am blown away that such a thing is even possible in a video game. Right now, 15% of my city is powered by the poo poo dam and another 20% by the turbines covering the cesspool. It would be somewhat more but I had to put in an overflow canal to prevent poop floods.

This is the greatest game.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
My game started crashing during loading screen (before the menu) out of the blue :saddowns: I managed to play with the latest patch so I really wonder what the hell is going on

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is there a way to automatically unsubscribe from everything on the Steam Workshop? I reinstalled this after a few months and whatever combination of mods I had made it all crashy. I want to start over with a clean collection.

Boot up the game, and there should be the option to unsubscribe to everything in the custom content section.
They really need to have this option built on to steam itself.

I'd also really really like a way to sort my own subscriptions by type so I can quickly clean out all parks or mods for example...

mutata posted:

It takes more tris and such to make them look good, but they're doable. It's much easier and much quicker to model buildings than organic figures, though.

Just to add, some art styles are perfect for low-poly too, so it's really about skill and effort. Even a geometric bust is hard to do compared to a box with windows slapped on.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hadlock posted:

a) This played out better than I had possibly expected
b) New thread title? Cities: Skylines - The poop flew too close to the sun.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Cities: Skylines - build a larger, more poop-filled Turdbowl

:colbert:

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I went camping recently and thought the area seemed prime for developing a city so when I got home I made this:

I'm having fun managing clean/dirty water on a map that has very weak rivers.

And also, some pre-update screenshots just because:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

the 'old town' policy is nice, it's a shame they couldn't have added a special road for it though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is a good and proper city.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Are there any base maps that kind of look like Utrecht or Copenhagen in that there's remnants of ramparts and poo poo? It seems like it'd go well with the new features.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need a lot more seawalls. The default one is an ok generic utilitarian monolith of concrete, but where's the pretty ones? Also pretty ones should function as a park/path.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Started a new city. With infinite money for the first time. Building a service interchange for the first city connection... escalated.

Gotta fiddle with those parking lots, I wish there was a proper paint/fill tool for those.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Friction posted:

Started a new city. With infinite money for the first time. Building a service interchange for the first city connection... escalated.

Gotta fiddle with those parking lots, I wish there was a proper paint/fill tool for those.

This is cool.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After about 3 months away from the game I return and notice a new tab marked terraforming! And there's canals!

Hubris sucks.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Breetai posted:

After about 3 months away from the game I return and notice a new tab marked terraforming! And there's canals!

Hubris sucks.

Welcome to every water related experiment ever, enjoy you stay.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Are any of the DLC must-buy?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Nahhhhhhh.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
I'm getting a frequent crash while the game is autosaving but not each time. Unfortunately it dies before the save is complete, of course, so I lose my progress at the worst time. Any idea what the issues could be? Or how to diagnose the issue? The city is only like 7,000 pop at the moment so not big. I have a decent number of mods but nothing excessive.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

IXIX posted:

Are any of the mods must-have? I've been away from the game for a very long time, and aside from some of the no-brainers like the one that enabled achievements and the one that lets me buy all the plots, are there any really vital ones? I was looking at Rush Hour but I have no idea if it's good.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

IXIX posted:

Snowfall lets you play with trams, and trams are fun. If you don't care about that, then ehhhhh.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Are any of the mods must-have? I've been away from the game for a very long time, and aside from some of the no-brainers like the one that enabled achievements and the one that lets me buy all the plots, are there any really vital ones? I was looking at Rush Hour but I have no idea if it's good.
Traffic Manager puts in some better traffic AI, but it also eats more RAM-- if your computer isn't already heaving when you play Skylines, I'd advise getting it.

The Network Extensions Project adds additional roads that you can futz with, and I've found them fun to work with.

Building Themes is basically the game's Styles function, but better, 'cos you can add and remove buildings to themes while playing in a city rather than going through a thing at the main menu, plus it'll render the buildings so you know what the hell you're picking for stuff.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

I downloaded this, but the starting highway connections start outside the bounds of the starting area. Huh?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rush Hour is really good and is what the After Dark DLC should have been. Day/night makes a difference in traffic, people go to school and work during the day, tourists can stick around much longer, day/night cycle is longer, etc. It also gives a reason for the After Dark commercial specializations to exist. Leisure specialization attracts cims at night while tourism buildings become functional hotels, making tourism a viable source of income for once.

It makes the traffic simulation much trickier, so be warned about that if vanilla gives you trouble.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

I downloaded this, but the starting highway connections start outside the bounds of the starting area. Huh?

Ha, yes, I just buy all 25 tiles right from the start. Feel free to edit it as you see fit.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok I've remembered maya so I want to make my own depressing Russian buildings, but don't know the specifics, like what scale I should use, how to keep it small size in mb and such. Anyone have any links or advice?

E: did they just add landscaping tools?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 4, 2016

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

So. I made two of these service intersections last night and thought "yeah, this is passable".

No.

Better.

Still got to fix the first one pictured, but now I know what to do.

Thin Privilege posted:

E: did they just add landscaping tools?

They indeed did. And partial implementation of Fine Road Heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i decided to have a go with quay anarchy to put a railway cutting around my city's old town (as seems to be common where city walls once were on the continent)

an immensely irritating experience (it took two tries) with nice results i think