Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This thread will endure

We've still got the game to wait for and endlessly complain about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

that cyanide capsule was implanted in your molar for a reason

I've been hanging out by the stump for no reason??

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tunicate posted:

I've been hanging out by the stump for no reason??

Wait, what stump are you at? Because I think I might be waiting at the wrong stump. I don't see any other people, just wolves.

Follow up question: what is the best way to fight off about thirty to forty wolves?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
John please don't call your great grandmother/AU mother hot please thank you

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I do kinda dislike that the retcon erased some quality interactions, and the only comment we're getting on it is some vague 'eh, didn't happen'. Karkat's conversation with Meenah, and her subsequent moment of sincere emotion created some genuine pathos for the character that was otherwise lacking in the horrible lucre-obsessed seabitch. As much as I loved Aranea's big reveal, I'm starting to feel like the Retcon, and the events that led up to it, were a mistake from a narrative standpoint. Creating the usual sense of frustration that I have at GRRM: "What the gently caress was the point of the last 300 pages, then!?"

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I am ready for Homestuck to end so that I, too, can end

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Poultron posted:

I am ready for Homestuck to end so that I, too, can end

Why wait? You can't take it with you

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burkion posted:

But it's fine when Dave does it, right?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

WAR FOOT posted:

Why wait? You can't take it with you

On the contrary. I will be buried with a full, hard-disc copy of Homestuck

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

The more I look at the last update, the more I'm convinced that Union Jack is actually Lord English. Spades Slick is even delivering him the staff, and the Felt.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Poultron posted:

On the contrary. I will be buried with a full, hard-disc copy of Homestuck

I could swear an offline version of Homestuck was one of the Kickstarter rewards

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Quite literally every joke in homestuck has been beaten into the ground endlessly, to the point where it's become an active negative of the story as written that every single loving moment and plot beat is immediately undercut or kneecapped through a thin veneer of irony

Nothing ever lands because everything has to be interpreted through that layer of "but it's not serious, lol!"

You seem to have missed Dirk (and thus also Hussie) explaining that his philosophy on irony is built on a core of "meaning it." I wish I could remember where in the comic this is, because I don't know where to look for it and act six is huge.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yes, the central irony of homestuck is that it has been 100% sincere all along

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Burkion posted:

Continuing the comic's strong tradition of John's hot mom.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Toxxupation posted:

like, john reacting like a mature adult over X2 MELTDOWN COMBO or whatever shitass predictable non-"joke" reaction everyone expected, Karkat actually missing his boyfriend over having some bucket-based mishap or immediately goofed on for being a loud self-important fool, these are all Good Story Moments, Not Bad Ones

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the comic is progressing along what can conceivably be called a "plot" toward what is presumably an "ending". I've been a vocal critic of the comic's progression being waylaid by meaningless horseshit or events immediately invalidated on a whim. However the offbeat humor is what attracted me to MSPA in the first place, and I'm rather disappointed that Hussie has seemingly expunged it completely in the final act.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Follow up question: what is the best way to fight off about thirty to forty wolves?

Cross-class into barbarian.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the comic is progressing along what can conceivably be called a "plot" toward what is presumably an "ending". I've been a vocal critic of the comic's progression being waylaid by meaningless horseshit or events immediately invalidated on a whim. However the offbeat humor is what attracted me to MSPA in the first place, and I'm rather disappointed that Hussie has seemingly expunged it completely in the final act.

The central character reacts to the revelation that a baked goods mascot's true identity is Gigahitler Fishmagician with a shrug and a "yeah that checks out" while our deuteragonist tries and fails to rally an army of clone ghosts to battle an atemporal leprechaun demon from beyond the stars.

We remain sufficiently offbeat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wait, what stump are you at? Because I think I might be waiting at the wrong stump. I don't see any other people, just wolves.

no no, you're at the right place

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

:agreed:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we just had an update where a guy with a rocket rear end dumped a bunch of idiot leprechauns out of an oven before flying off to fight himself adn you guys are acting like this poo poo is suddenly Proust

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

However the offbeat humor is what attracted me to MSPA in the first place, and I'm rather disappointed that Hussie has seemingly expunged it completely in the final act.

Karkat posted:

CAN I BE AT LEAST A *LITTLE* MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIKE DOOMED EQUIUS #45832, WHO IS WEARING A SAUCY MAID OUTFIT FOR SOME loving REASON?!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like a reasonable way to show that John has matured since he was 13.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
no but you see they're not jokes about data structures and therefore I can't possibly relate

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hussie, we need more updates. The rust is coming off the gears. The terrible engine is screeching to life once more. Noxious black smoke clouds stream from every opening, blasting out the accumulated dust and grime.

We're discussing Homestuck again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

oh no doubt

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Dolash posted:

We're discussing Homestuck again.

It's beautiful, is it not?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

we just had an update where a guy with a rocket rear end dumped a bunch of idiot leprechauns out of an oven before flying off to fight himself adn you guys are acting like this poo poo is suddenly Proust

I'm obviously exaggerating a bit, but it feels as if the overall tone has shifted significantly away from what it was in the first four or five acts.

Or maybe it's just that the humor is falling a little flat to me? Hell, I've never gone back to reread the earlier chapters past chapter one, maybe most of the jokes would fall flat to the me of today.

The Spades Slick update was very good however and that's worth mentioning.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm obviously exaggerating a bit, but it feels as if the overall tone has shifted significantly away from what it was in the first four or five acts.

Or maybe it's just that the humor is falling a little flat to me? Hell, I've never gone back to reread the earlier chapters past chapter one, maybe most of the jokes would fall flat to the me of today.

The Spades Slick update was very good however and that's worth mentioning.

Bro, the whole webcomic doesn't need to be homogeneously funny. poo poo is getting real!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I felt like parts of the last update were a bit lacking. I think it's probably because Hussie normally just writes whatever the hell he wants, wherasnow he has to get serious and write the scenes that need to happen for this story to finally end.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hell, I've never gone back to reread the earlier chapters past chapter one, maybe most of the jokes would fall flat to the me of today.

as a guy who's done this three times: it would. trust me on that one

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I feel the newsposts are what's setting my perceived tone. Hussie seems joyless and beaten. A shadow of the man who answered questions with obesity jokes.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Akett posted:

You seem to have missed Dirk (and thus also Hussie) explaining that his philosophy on irony is built on a core of "meaning it." I wish I could remember where in the comic this is, because I don't know where to look for it and act six is huge.

Luckily, TVTropes has it covered on the quote page for irony:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/Irony

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Just checked Instagram, no Saucy Maid Equius cosplay just yet.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Saucy maid Equius came out forever ago.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't know if there's a "no poo poo" big enough for this situation

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Jia posted:

I don't know if there's a "no poo poo" big enough for this situation

:shrug:

I can't even tell anymore, since it's been literally half a decade since I read the earlier acts, and everyone has a million different opinions on whether the comic is better, worse, or exactly the same as it used to be.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Saucy maid Equius came out forever ago.

Then there's no excuse for no one cosplaying in him. Everyone should cosplay Maid Equius all the time forever.

Also, it's kind of ironic that Equius is dressed as a maid considering he had a crush on Aradia who is also a Maid.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Also, it's kind of ironic that Equius is dressed as a maid considering he had a crush on Aradia who is also a Maid.

How...scandalous.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The sweaty alternian maid, by troll Crassius Curio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guys.

They're posing as teams.